Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

12 Man Fireteam and Community Playdate!

OP DaxSeven09

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So the latest Halo Community Update: Mixes and Matches, had two important Halo 5 tidbits added to its somewhat short list of info for us this week.

First and foremost is the announcement of what they have decided, and have been working on with the 12 man fireteam aspect in Warzone. It's a long quote from our own Dr. Menke.

Quote:
In the past, we said we were preparing to do a trial run allowing 12-player fireteams (to12) to match in the Warzone and Warzone Assault playlists. We included the caveat that a to12 could only ever matchmake with another to12, and that matchmaking would go on forever if another wasn’t available. Since then, we have added a matchmaking improvement that lets us potentially soften the requirements.

The improvement allows us to impose a maximum skill gap between the teams that are created to play the match. Players that played in 12-player fireteams tend to have high individual matchmaking ratings (MMRs). With the new feature, when they matchmake as a to12, the resulting team MMR will be so high that only other to12s will likely have a combined MMR high enough to match them. We are therefore going to run the trial allowing any fireteam size up to 12, and not impose fireteam size restrictions. The new feature should be able to auto-adapt to different fireteam sizes.

We still anticipate extraordinarily long if not indefinite wait times for players in larger fireteams, so it may be more “fun” in the long run to roll with smaller fireteams to be able to play more matches. We’ll be reading feedback on this, as well as monitoring how many larger fireteams play, and how easily they can get into matches. If the trial goes well, we may keep the settings this way.

Keep in mind that if it turns out the trial is unsuccessful because larger teams can’t ever find matches, we aren’t going to relax the matchmaking constraints. We won’t sacrifice the experience of less-organized players by creating matches we know are clearly unfair. If this is the case, it means the 12-player fireteam population can’t currently support consistent matchmaking, and we’ll decide whether to leave it up with players knowing this, or taking it down so players aren’t misled into indefinite waits.
There was no exact date and time for when this will go live. Keep an eye on Halo's twitter and/or these forums for when that might happen. I will do my best to keep this updated, and post it here when I see it.

The other item is when and where for the next Community playdate.

Quote:
Put Us on Ice – Want another chance to nab that fab and frosty Ice Unicorn weapon skin in Halo 5? Jump into the H3 Classic Throwback playlist in Halo 5 on Monday, Oct. 9 from 2-3 PM PT – if you match up with our squad of 343 denizens during the appointed hour, then you will snag the skin. See you then!
That's about it. I am happy for the Warzone guys. I just hope it isn't too late to go back and implement this, and I look forward to seeing who among us actually matches up with 343.
Do you think there will be enough 12 man fireteams to make the WZ update work? I personally don't at this point, but hopefully I'm wrong because I think it would be cool to have a full team again.
DoubleSama wrote:
Do you think there will be enough 12 man fireteams to make the WZ update work? I personally don't at this point, but hopefully I'm wrong because I think it would be cool to have a full team again.
I don't know, but I am not optimistic. I think it will help to get the word out, but I don't know if enough people are paying attention right, and will drop the new games they are playing. There's a lot of competition right now. So to bring a lot of players back to fill the playlist with a healthy 12 man fireteam population is a tall order.

Now keep in mind they are restricting them to only playing other fireteams but the wait might be long to find a good match.
DoubleSama wrote:
That's a tough one to answer. I, for example, would love to put together a team of 12 and enter the fray. I will definitely NOT be doing this though because I surround myself with people due to their capability of mature conversation and silly hijinks. We typically play like a team of randoms with no coordination or tactics lol. There's no longer a place for my 12 Spartan fireteam due to all the 12 Spartan teams that play Warzone competitively and stack teams. It... kind of ruins the 12 Spartan fireteam for us.

I don't think there will be a lot of 12 spartan fireteams searching.
DoubleSama wrote:
That's a tough one to answer. I, for example, would love to put together a team of 12 and enter the fray. I will definitely NOT be doing this though because I surround myself with people due to their capability of mature conversation and silly hijinks. We typically play like a team of randoms with no coordination or tactics lol. There's no longer a place for my 12 Spartan fireteam due to all the 12 Spartan teams that play Warzone competitively and stack teams. It... kind of ruins the 12 Spartan fireteam for us.

You can always nab some of us from the Waypoint Discord server if you ever want to assemble a team. :D
HaXoR73 wrote:

You can always nab some of us from the Waypoint Discord server if you ever want to assemble a team. :D
I surround myself with people due to their capability of mature conversation
DoubleSama wrote:

That's the same we my teams are "built". We just have a good time and a few may coordinate, but there's not full game communication or tactics
DoubleSama wrote:

That was the situation I ran into as well. A 12 man party just playing for fun is a blast. It's the craziness of it all that makes it fun. Then the group I played with wanted to run squads with assignments, start watching game film, and plan strategies. In their defense if you are going to play 12 man you kinda have to play that way or get completely wrecked. That's way too much effort for me though.
This is live for those who take interest
https://twitter.com/joshua_menke/status/916437330667331586
This is live for those who take interest
https://twitter.com/joshua_menke/status/916437330667331586
Sweet! Thanks for helping me keep track of that. I don't follow twitter enough sometimes.
We had great matchmaking times tonight with up to 9 in the fireteam. It was fun to not have to rotate guys in and out. I think it will be really good going forward.
It seemed balanced.

Thank you 343.
We had great matchmaking times tonight with up to 9 in the fireteam. It was fun to not have to rotate guys in and out. I think it will be really good going forward.
Awesome that is great to hear! I hope it keeps working out for you and your group.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Awesome that is great to hear! I hope it keeps working out for you and your group.
Yeah, I really hope it works out for everyone. I think it’s a great thing to not have fireteam limits. It may keep more gamers involved. I’d really like to see it continue. Good luck to everyone!
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Yeah, I really hope it works out for everyone. I think it’s a great thing to not have fireteam limits. It may keep more gamers involved. I’d really like to see it continue.
It is really too bad they removed it. They should have implemented tighter MMR matches like they're doing now to help deal with uneven games. Unfortunately, they didn't have that then so they did what they thought was the next best thing, and "easiest".
Ran with 7 to 9 players. Had several tight matches. Lost initial map control and the middle base on one, but still managed to coordinate the mythic boss kill and snag a victory. Haven’t had so much fun in a long time.
CofC wrote:
N8 Peaks wrote:
Hey guys, it's great that your Warzone evening went well after the fireteams were increased. Let's make sure we get the feedback directly to Josh (a.k.a.ZaedynFel) in this thread. It will help him to know how things are going. He might not see that here.

Thanks, and I hope this continues for you guys, and they can return it to a permanent status.
DoubleSama wrote:

This actually shouldn't be a big issue if you and your to12 aren't super good or sweaty. You actually will be able to match solo queue players. You likely won't match sweaty big groups unless you yourselves are high MMR players. If you're average or below average, those are the kinds of players you'll match. in theory...
Of all the times to not have Xbox Live. Crap. I gotta get some so I can play with my buddies again. Its been so long since I've dominated Warzone games with a stacked lobby.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2