Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] [343 Response] Dedicated servers Eu???

OP T0XicBoB

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 103
  4. 104
  5. 105
  6. 106
  7. 107
  8. ...
  9. 238
Holiday season is now over so the game is back to low amount of players, meaning even more games will be played on bad servers. Please let us select what server we want to play on, I don't care if it takes 1-2 min when searching for players as long as it's on a server with good connection.

Rocket League did it right, it lets the player have the option to mark what servers he/she wants to play on. If that player wants to go EU 24/7 then he/she has the option to do so, want to mix it up a bit if there happens to be low player count on a EU playlist then that same player will have the option to add another server on top of the EU server.
I take it back...its been total crap all morning with the exception of 2 or 3 games.
Quote:
Thank you for your reports, we are actively investigating this issue. To assist with our investigation, can each of you please provide the following?

• What country are you located in?
  • Description of your experience (Warping, delayed registration, walking into walls etc.)
    - Xbox DVR video proof is also extremely helpful
  • How often are you experiencing this? (Every game, every other game?)
    - Does this happen multiple times per game?
  • Make / Model of your router
  • Firmware version of your router
  • ISP & Bandwidth speeds (Up / Down)
Any additional information you can provide would also be of great help.
Thank you,
The Forum Team
Amazing... I didn't realise they could be so completely useless. Trying to blame latency on the make of our router? Lololol! Although I shouldn't laugh, it's a depressing situation when a games developer doesn't understand that signals take time to travel.
Anyhow, to answer their questions...

• What country are you located in? - England.
  • Description of your experience (Warping, delayed registration, walking into walls etc.) - Getting killed after I've gone behind cover, hitting people from behind and they survive, getting killed after a couple of pistol shots when I've got full shields, shooting a full clip into enemy but they survive, etc etc. I think you get the point.
    - Xbox DVR video proof is also extremely helpful - There's plenty here in this thread.
  • How often are you experiencing this? (Every game, every other game?) - Pretty much every game from the evening to about midday, then it's a bit better.
    - Does this happen multiple times per game? - It happens for the ENTIRE game, what else would you expect?
  • Make / Model of your router - BT Home Hub 5
  • Firmware version of your router - Dunno, irrelevant. I have a fibre optic connection, we both know the issue isn't at my end.
  • ISP & Bandwidth speeds (Up / Down) - 20 up, 76 down.
Any additional information you can provide would also be of great help. - Please provide the ability to choose our servers, the solution is a simple one. Please don't try to blame our connections, we're not stupid.
Hello everyone,

I'm CTO at Netduma, a router company (hence the gamertag). This post is my personal opinion and does not reflect our company.

I've personally been a HUGE halo fan, I even got my level 50 in MLG in Halo 3. I'll be honest I haven't liked any of the Halos since Halo 3, but I absolutely love halo 5. My friend and Netduma CEO Luke clocked up loads of hours of the Doubles playlist over the holidays.

Anyway, to cut to the chase we are based in the UK and also noticed the gross (in my opinion) unfairness of the server locations and it is, I believe, the only major downside of the game (plus the recent removal of the amazing doubles playlist ;-) )

I'm posting here because I thought you guys might find the following photo useful. Here are all the dedicated servers used in Halo 5 (shown as circles or padlocks):
http://imgur.com/CbkU5ql

In our experience, based in the UK, we only get, at the very best of times, 1 out of 5 games on an EU server. So the rest have always been US, mostly in the central USA area (see the map) and sometimes in NY or Seattle. The lowest ping for UK to US for us is 90ms but with Seattle hosts its way beyond 120ms. If we do get the local Irish server we get 15ms ping. Very rarely we've had a South East Asian dedicated server and that is close to unplayable (but this has only happened once or twice).

As stated above, at best 1/5 games are local EU games in Team arena. In other playlists like FFA we've regularly seen beyond 20 games in row in the USA. I have no idea how the server selection works so it could be different for each player. I could speculate the location of other players and skill level could be a factor. If the former then time of day would influence the selection. Anyway hope that info helps.
This is also my favourite Halo since Halo 3, the balance of the weapons is superb and the only thing that is holding the game back is the server selection I'm not sure if it was an intentional plug however I just visited your company's website and had a quick read. Will your router work for Halo 5 Matchmaking? I MAY OR MAY NOT have spent around 30 hours of my time routing my connection through my computer's firewall to individually blocking IP's of US servers (Hypothetically)however if there is a product I can buy that will do this for me then I would be very impressed and would gladly throw money at you.

Thank you.
Hi Steve,

No it wasn't an intentional plug, I'm actually a genuine Halo fan and the matchmaking really does concern me.

On the current release router firmware it doesn't work. But we've been testing something internally which does (sort of) work. You can guarantee you will not play a non EU host (or wherever you are) but you will have to restart the search every time it tries to connect you to non EU host.
  1. The positive is that some of our users have tested it and say it does not impact your reputation or rating negatively.
  2. The negative is that the search times can be quite high (in arena we found 1/5, in FFA much more). Having said that I (& everyone else in office) use it because I'd rather not play then have to play on 100ms+ hosts. It's such a disadvantage especially when you get to higher levels like we did in team doubles. You have to be nearly twice as good as them to win or play in a really lame way like slow the game down and not take any risk.
Again hope it doesn't come off as a plug, I just hope they get it fixed as the game otherwise is fantastic.

PS Bring back doubles!!!
@ Netduma son
Thanks for posting, we need all the help we can to get some attention on this. We know about most of the EU and US server locations and have had players with Netduma routers post stats in the thread previously showing to which servers they connect and the average ping. The figures you posted seem rather favourable as I can say most EU players most likely have higher ping than that, our signals are routed longer distances.

This issue has already turned into a joke. I really do not understand how 343 could do it this way. Especially considering they had former pro´s work with them on the game - they should know better! But then again, its all centered around the US, no surprise there.
Wow that's really awesome there are other Neduma users here. Very cool :)
WOWZERS 105 pages and still nothing. I gave up after a couple of weeks guys and just popped back to see if anything fixed. This is disgusting that the game is not fixed but i really feel sorry for the people who purchased this at xmas with no idea its a pile of -Yoink- online.

Anyway this will prob not help but ill log my details anyway.

Regards guys and hang on in there if you got the patience.

• What country are you located in? Scotland UK
  • Description of your experience (Warping, delayed registration, walking into walls etc.) Bad hit detection, Dieng around corners, Melee hits not connecting, enemy dieng 2 second later.
    - Xbox DVR video proof is also extremely helpful TONS on here take your pick
  • How often are you experiencing this? (Every game, every other game?) 99% of time, Hardly ever connect to EU servers.
    - Does this happen multiple times per game? throughout full match
  • Make / Model of your router Linksys AC1200 Dual Bandwidth Wired
  • Firmware version of your router Latest available.
  • ISP & Bandwidth speeds (Up / Down) 152 Down 12 Meg up Virgin Media
Another fan chiming in here.

Yep, this totally reflects my experience in UK. In fact, I have posted a fair few times about stupidly laggy matches and hearing mosty US accents I'm less familiar with.

It also explains why every five to ten games I do really -Yoinking!- well, like my last 25K 3D game, while normally I getting to positive KD is a significant achievement. Since I have now developed a sixth sense to predict the behaviours that I don't have time to see, if actually if I'd have US network conditions I'd probably be a high Platinum.

This situation really is -Yoink- because it really is game breaking. In some games the lag is so bad that it feels like people just whizz me dead without me having a clue of what's happening, I'm constantly way late. Plus many hits don't land, grenades don't fly and all that.

Is there a precedent of something like this being addressed?
@ NETDUMA son - could you confirm the current process that you use for searching for games on EU dedicated servers in Halo5 please (ie after we click the gametype how do you know if you would be connecting to an EU server and at what stage do you search again if its not?). Is there some kind of configuration that needs to be set on these routers to make this happen? Do you need to be connected to a PC/Mac at the same time as the console is searching to monitor connections and restart the search if required or is it done automatically by the router?

On a side note, I used to run a console LAN event business and would be happy to assist with testing if required. I'd be interested in finding a solution for UK and EU gamers, so please feel free to send me a message if I can be of any assistance with testing and acquiring data.
Just submitting my stats here too

What country are you located in? London EC1, UK
Description of your experience (Warping, delayed registration, walking into walls etc.) - Characters warping around, reappearing in a different place, shots not landing, melee issues, grenade throw issues, dying around the corner, at some matches it seems that enemies just are in a different universe. When matches work, I tend to do very well
- Xbox DVR video proof is also extremely helpful - Travelling currently
How often are you experiencing this? (Every game, every other game?) - Every session, most games seem to be against US players. I get an awesome connection about What country are you located in? - England.
- Does this happen multiple times per game? - It's all the game, well until I quit out of frustration
ISP & Bandwidth speeds (Up / Down) - BT Fiber optic - 25up / 75 down, 7ms ping on Speedtest
- Does this happen multiple times per game? - It happens for the ENTIRE game, what else would you expect?
Make / Model of your router - BT Home Hub 5
Firmware version - don't know
Hello everyone,

I'm CTO at Netduma, a router company (hence the gamertag). This post is my personal opinion and does not reflect our company.

I've personally been a HUGE halo fan, I even got my level 50 in MLG in Halo 3. I'll be honest I haven't liked any of the Halos since Halo 3, but I absolutely love halo 5. My friend and Netduma CEO Luke clocked up loads of hours of the Doubles playlist over the holidays.

Anyway, to cut to the chase we are based in the UK and also noticed the gross (in my opinion) unfairness of the server locations and it is, I believe, the only major downside of the game (plus the recent removal of the amazing doubles playlist ;-) )

I'm posting here because I thought you guys might find the following photo useful. Here are all the dedicated servers used in Halo 5 (shown as circles or padlocks):
http://imgur.com/CbkU5ql

In our experience, based in the UK, we only get, at the very best of times, 1 out of 5 games on an EU server. So the rest have always been US, mostly in the central USA area (see the map) and sometimes in NY or Seattle. The lowest ping for UK to US for us is 90ms but with Seattle hosts its way beyond 120ms. If we do get the local Irish server we get 15ms ping. Very rarely we've had a South East Asian dedicated server and that is close to unplayable (but this has only happened once or twice).

As stated above, at best 1/5 games are local EU games in Team arena. In other playlists like FFA we've regularly seen beyond 20 games in row in the USA. I have no idea how the server selection works so it could be different for each player. I could speculate the location of other players and skill level could be a factor. If the former then time of day would influence the selection. Anyway hope that info helps.
This is also my favourite Halo since Halo 3, the balance of the weapons is superb and the only thing that is holding the game back is the server selection I'm not sure if it was an intentional plug however I just visited your company's website and had a quick read. Will your router work for Halo 5 Matchmaking? I MAY OR MAY NOT have spent around 30 hours of my time routing my connection through my computer's firewall to individually blocking IP's of US servers (Hypothetically)however if there is a product I can buy that will do this for me then I would be very impressed and would gladly throw money at you.

Thank you.
Duuude is that possible?? Block the nom EU servers? Even some way to tell me pre game lobby that I'm joining a US server would be good. It's so worth 30 hours to me, I've wasted at least double that on terrible unplayable US servers so far in halo 5. That would honestly be a godsend.
105 pages with no real answer ...and everyone... everyone know it's easy thing to add a choice of server regions or like what's you promise us "data center"
well i think il be taking a break from halo , i have been online at different times at day to avoid the amarican players but they never seam to sleep so i wood say 90% of my games latly is on american servers , and its -Yoink- i almost never get headshot and need 5-6 shot whit the br for a kill , ppl shot me after they are dead .

getting a shot of after i shoot him
in this clip i meet 2 ppl , 1 whit no shiled and 1 whit full shield , i get the headshot and right after that he gets in a shot on me , and the other player gets a easy 3 shot , i wood probably have dyed her any way but when ppl can shot me after they are dead its realy hard to not be anoyed . at first i thot the other player got the usual 3 shot ( meanig ther 2 is the first on my screen , happens a lot) i normaly count both when i shoot and get shot and getting 3 shot whit the br is so anoying .

so if anybody have a good way to block the american servers am all ears ( or eyes )
@ Netduma son
Thanks for posting, we need all the help we can to get some attention on this. We know about most of the EU and US server locations and have had players with Netduma routers post stats in the thread previously showing to which servers they connect and the average ping. The figures you posted seem rather favourable as I can say most EU players most likely have higher ping than that, our signals are routed longer distances.

This issue has already turned into a joke. I really do not understand how 343 could do it this way. Especially considering they had former pro´s work with them on the game - they should know better! But then again, its all centered around the US, no surprise there.
Wow that's really awesome there are other Neduma users here.
Really wish 343 had the same attitude as u do netduma was looking into you not so long back and could see that u are in regular contact with community who were experiencing problems at the start but u we're constantly updating people all I can say to you is keep up good work and hope u go far and all the best as for 343 maybe u should take notes. communication goes a long way.
@ Netduma son

Hi, I looked at the Netduma, when people started posting here about how you could see which servers are available.
Now I use 5Ghz Wi-Fi not for the Xbox but for everything else. phone, laptop etc..
It seems it only supports 2.4Ghz is this true or is there a newer model?

Also just to get back O/T the router may be able to block certain servers but that's not what the topic is about, we would like to choose our own server!
@ Netduma son

Wow that's really awesome there are other Neduma users here.
Really wish 343 had the same attitude as u do netduma was looking into you not so long back and could see that u are in regular contact with community who were experiencing problems at the start but u we're constantly updating people all I can say to you is keep up good work and hope u go far and all the best as for 343 maybe u should take notes. communication goes a long way.
Thanks mate, 343 are a lot bigger so it's far more difficult to respond as much as we do so I do empathise with them.
K0NSPIRACY wrote:
@ NETDUMA son - could you confirm the current process that you use for searching for games on EU dedicated servers in Halo5 please (ie after we click the gametype how do you know if you would be connecting to an EU server and at what stage do you search again if its not?). Is there some kind of configuration that needs to be set on these routers to make this happen? Do you need to be connected to a PC/Mac at the same time as the console is searching to monitor connections and restart the search if required or is it done automatically by the router?

On a side note, I used to run a console LAN event business and would be happy to assist with testing if required. I'd be interested in finding a solution for UK and EU gamers, so please feel free to send me a message if I can be of any assistance with testing and acquiring data.
Hi buddy, you need one of our routers with our development firmware which is not out yet.
K0NSPIRACY wrote:

Hi buddy, you need one of our routers with our development firmware which is not out yet.
So what happens if I'm teamed up with my friend, and I have one of your routers but he doesn't?
Cerrone wrote:
@ Netduma son

Hi, I looked at the Netduma, when people started posting here about how you could see which servers are available.
Now I use 5Ghz Wi-Fi not for the Xbox but for everything else. phone, laptop etc..
It seems it only supports 2.4Ghz is this true or is there a newer model?

Also just to get back O/T the router may be able to block certain servers but that's not what the topic is about, we would like to choose our own server!
Hi,

After this I'll stop responding to any product based questions as it seems a bit like promotion. If you have any further questions post on forum.netduma.com or ask @netduma on twitter.

To answer your question it doesn't have 5ghz, for a couple or reasons:
  1. Most people on the planet will see no benefit from it for many reasons. Fundamentally the bandwidth bottleneck is almost always elsewhere
  2. It's primarily a gaming router so we assume most people are wired for their gaming and other devices operate just as well based on point 1.
Well it's kind of the same thing, you do pick servers. You force yourself to only have servers in EU or whatever region you decide. The only difference is that in other games the matchmaking automatically restarts searching so you get games much quicker. I believe FIFA works the same way as Halo in that the user has to restart the search and we have loads of people using it for that. However as mentioned above in our experiments search times are quite high (for Halo 5).

I'd be happy if it was built into the game, but I understand 343 probably has a hard choice someone is always going to be on another continent (because the population would have to be huge to get games as quickly with the number of different playlists) I just wish it was a bit less frequently US host.
I have been crusading on neogaf since the beta to have a titanfall like system for halo 5. But again 343 show that they don't give two -Yoinks!-. Frank O'CONNOR posts there and totally ignores these type of posts regarding this.

All they care about is the fast matchmaking, the quality is not even part of their thinking. We need to accept that they will only listen when their games don't sell outside of north America. Until then, we are just fodder for U.S. tier 1 players

what's worse, is the fact that Josh Holmes said just before release that the game would select the closest datacenter hence no need for us to choose ourselves. More 343 -Yoink-. As if they ain't told enough with the MCC debacle
Quote:
Thank you for your reports, we are actively investigating this issue. To assist with our investigation, can each of you please provide the following?
  • What country are you located in?
  • Description of your experience (Warping, delayed registration, walking into walls etc.)
    - Xbox DVR video proof is also extremely helpful
  • How often are you experiencing this? (Every game, every other game?)
    - Does this happen multiple times per game?
  • Make / Model of your router
  • Firmware version of your router
  • ISP & Bandwidth speeds (Up / Down)
Any additional information you can provide would also be of great help.

Thank you,
The Forum Team
  • Sheffield, United Kingdom
  • Delayed hit registration, dying when I'm in cover, "Rubber-banding". Plenty of Xbox DVR's uploaded on here.
  • Happens every game I play.
  • I don't know the brand/model but it was provided by Sky
  • Updated to the latest version
  • 20mbps down & 2mbps up.
Just like to point out that I can play other games like Titanfall, Gears of War UE and Rainbow Six Siege on UK/Euro based servers with no issues at all so I highly doubt it is my internet connection.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 103
  4. 104
  5. 105
  6. 106
  7. 107
  8. ...
  9. 238