Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] [343 Response] Dedicated servers Eu???

OP T0XicBoB

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 235
  4. 236
  5. 237
  6. ...
  7. 238
Tetsjin wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked earlier, I haven't visited this thread in a long time.

if I search focused on FFA I can't find games, so I assumed the server selection was finally working a year after the game came out. But I can't find games on expanded either.

If I search focused on doubles by myself I always find a game but it searches like expanded. I'll get Americans, I'll get a game straight away like it isn't even trying and I'll get Americans.

Does this happen for anyone else? Can someone explain what's going on? Also what's this I read about new data centers in Europe that aren't being used?

The past few months I've noticed a bigger disparity between how the weapons work for me compared to others, especially regarding scatter/shotgun and plasma caster. As if they've become more connection dependent. Players use the scatter at distances I wouldn't dream of, I have the pistol out and I'm dead from 2 scatter blasts BUT if I have scatter unless I'm pretty much pressing the barrel into their gut I won't get a kill even after 3 or 4 shots. It's made me incredibly apprehensive if they pull a scatter, I boost back and fight at such a far distance and that in turn gets me killed as I'm not in a comfortable position to fire or cover. And the caster, 5 blasts at a one shot does nothing - other way round, I'm on full sheild and I'm dead on 1-2 blasts no where near me.On an unrelated note, why do I get first time players on my team and it matches me up against champs? Doubles seems to be all over the place in terms of matching connection and matching skill. It just seems random.

tl;dr - have connection issues got worse? or have weapons been tweaked to favour better connections ie American servers.
Although it's an older post it just pretty much sums up my friends and my experience in Halo 5 MP since the last update. We are from Germany and Switzerland. Did 343 change something with the EU servers? Are there even any EU servers???

Before the monitor's bounty update we barely faced any lag or latency issues. Now we all feel like we are all playing with a high latency. Especially when beating an opponent player: even if I win the battle, a split-second later i get a hit of the already dead enemy. Also I often feel like I hit the enemy but don't get any hit marker. And don't even try to fight an enemy that is "out of range" - this worked perfectly before but now I barely hit anything... The most frustrating thing: an enemy is low shield and you pump like 3-4 magnum shots into him, he won't fall but manages to kill you. We all are slowly losing our motivation to play Halo 5 - it's just too frustrating...

Has anybody else noticed such problems?
If you live in EU it seems shot 1+2 dont register. you can always (normally) see shield gets hit, i barely ever see that on shot 1+2 anymore.
S Monki wrote:
Tetsjin wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked earlier, I haven't visited this thread in a long time.

if I search focused on FFA I can't find games, so I assumed the server selection was finally working a year after the game came out. But I can't find games on expanded either.

If I search focused on doubles by myself I always find a game but it searches like expanded. I'll get Americans, I'll get a game straight away like it isn't even trying and I'll get Americans.

Does this happen for anyone else? Can someone explain what's going on? Also what's this I read about new data centers in Europe that aren't being used?

The past few months I've noticed a bigger disparity between how the weapons work for me compared to others, especially regarding scatter/shotgun and plasma caster. As if they've become more connection dependent. Players use the scatter at distances I wouldn't dream of, I have the pistol out and I'm dead from 2 scatter blasts BUT if I have scatter unless I'm pretty much pressing the barrel into their gut I won't get a kill even after 3 or 4 shots. It's made me incredibly apprehensive if they pull a scatter, I boost back and fight at such a far distance and that in turn gets me killed as I'm not in a comfortable position to fire or cover. And the caster, 5 blasts at a one shot does nothing - other way round, I'm on full sheild and I'm dead on 1-2 blasts no where near me.On an unrelated note, why do I get first time players on my team and it matches me up against champs? Doubles seems to be all over the place in terms of matching connection and matching skill. It just seems random.

tl;dr - have connection issues got worse? or have weapons been tweaked to favour better connections ie American servers.
Although it's an older post it just pretty much sums up my friends and my experience in Halo 5 MP since the last update. We are from Germany and Switzerland. Did 343 change something with the EU servers? Are there even any EU servers???

Before the monitor's bounty update we barely faced any lag or latency issues. Now we all feel like we are all playing with a high latency. Especially when beating an opponent player: even if I win the battle, a split-second later i get a hit of the already dead enemy. Also I often feel like I hit the enemy but don't get any hit marker. And don't even try to fight an enemy that is "out of range" - this worked perfectly before but now I barely hit anything... The most frustrating thing: an enemy is low shield and you pump like 3-4 magnum shots into him, he won't fall but manages to kill you. We all are slowly losing our motivation to play Halo 5 - it's just too frustrating...

Has anybody else noticed such problems?
If you live in EU it seems shot 1+2 dont register. you can always (normally) see shield gets hit, i barely ever see that on shot 1+2 anymore.
I've had so many games today like that, I've literally shot them in the head 4-5 times and it didn't register.

Also having issues with the enemy being able to kill me with the scattershot from a huge distance away. My guess is that on their screen they are a lot closer, but it's still annoying as hell as I thought I was at a safe distance.

The game as it is gets very frustrating, and overall it's an unsatisfying experience. I don't like getting robbed of kills over and over again, losing challenges because the shot didn't register, or getting killed by someone after I've killed them! If I kill them first, they shouldn't be able to shoot me afterwards.

The only fix is lower latency. Everything else is a band aid solution. Latency compensation just favours the shooter... that's what we're seeing in Halo when you get shot around a corner. I'd rather just be able to choose an EU server and have a good quality experience.
S Monki wrote:
Tetsjin wrote:

The only fix is lower latency. Everything else is a band aid solution. Latency compensation just favours the shooter... that's what we're seeing in Halo when you get shot around a corner. I'd rather just be able to choose an EU server and have a good quality experience.
It's never going to happen with halo 5 or else it would have been done ages ago with the amount of complaints and videos in this thread.
No one cares.
S Monki wrote:
Tetsjin wrote:

It's never going to happen with halo 5 or else it would have been done ages ago with the amount of complaints and videos in this thread.
No one cares.
It certainly seems that way. Perhaps they'll learn from this and implement a better system in Halo 6. I want to be given the choice of a server, and I'll be on the EU one for the majority of the time. I'd only go on a US server late at night if the population was low in the EU.

The game is just so much fun when it works, and so frustrating when I shoot someone in the head and reload, just to realise they're still alive.
S Monki wrote:
Tetsjin wrote:

No one cares.
It certainly seems that way. Perhaps they'll learn from this and implement a better system in Halo 6. I want to be given the choice of a server, and I'll be on the EU one for the majority of the time. I'd only go on a US server late at night if the population was low in the EU.

The game is just so much fun when it works, and so frustrating when I shoot someone in the head and reload, just to realise they're still alive.
I am a US player and I can tell you this that server selection based on ping is highly needed for this game. As the population drops its getting worse. Most of the time when I solo search... players on my team are thousands of miles away. That means someone is going to get the short end of the stick when it comes to latency/ping. This and other problems players are having with these servers has done a great deal of damage to the player population. Not a good thing if one is trying to grow the population nor is it good for 343i. I have zero friends left playing this game because of this. And honestly I cant blame them. And sometimes I wonder why I am still playing it.. If Halo6 doesn't have server selection im not sure I will even bother with this game.. It is cool and fun when its working.. But that's to far and in between and not worth the headache to me.

Zippy.
Been having a lot of latency issues as of late. It was fine for a long while there but now it is just aweful! I'd say it is pretty much unplayable given how unfair the situation has become. Stuttering, lag, freezes and ghosting. Such a shame. I was just about getting hooked again!

Edit: I should add that I went over to Titanfall 2 just to see if it was the same there. It was not. 20-40ms latency to Amsterdam. Smooth experience, however not nearly as fun of a game. :c
Been having a lot of latency issues as of late. It was fine for a long while there but now it is just aweful! I'd say it is pretty much unplayable given how unfair the situation has become. Stuttering, lag, freezes and ghosting. Such a shame. I was just about getting hooked again!

Edit: I should add that I went over to Titanfall 2 just to see if it was the same there. It was not. 20-40ms latency to Amsterdam. Smooth experience, however not nearly as fun of a game. :c
I can still get lag free games on Titanfall 1! Lol! It puts Halo to shame as far as connection goes.

I can still get lag free games on Titanfall 1! Lol! It puts Halo to shame as far as connection goes.
And you still can get games at all in that game! Imagine H5 4 years from release: finding game will be utterly impossible.

And you still can get games at all in that game! Imagine H5 4 years from release: finding game will be utterly impossible.
The prospect of this worries me.
S Monki wrote:
Tetsjin wrote:

No one cares.

If Halo6 doesn't have server selection im not sure I will even bother with this game.. It is cool and fun when its working.. But that's to far and in between and not worth the headache to me.

Zippy.
I hear you on those comments. If Halo 6 does not have regional server selection I will not be buying it, my minds made up on that. I also stopped playing because of it being not worth the stress, it's amazing on a local ish server, but the amazing is few and very, very far between.

As another player mentioned, we can still get lag free fast mm on Titanfall 1 with barely 7000 players worldwide at times, Halo 5 is a newer title with way more players but it can't hold a candle to an older game with a very small population.
I think Titanfall 2 is way more fun than Halo 5. So that's a matter of opinion. However, I liked and quoted you because I agree with what you wrote about ping, 20 - 40 ms to London and most European servers for me also, with a very smooth experience too. Halo 5 cannot hold a candle to either Titanfall game when it comes to servers.
eviltedi wrote:
I think Titanfall 2 is way more fun than Halo 5. So that's a matter of opinion. However, I liked and quoted you because I agree with what you wrote about ping, 20 - 40 ms to London and most European servers for me also, with a very smooth experience too. Halo 5 cannot hold a candle to either Titanfall game when it comes to servers.
Of course it is a matter of opinion! :) I bloody hope they listen to us and make regional servers as they promised for Halo 5. I don't know why they are so darned stubborn about this thing. Wouldn't hurt with a population counter either. Titanfall is a good example of how it should be done with these things. Doom does it too. I won't bother searching for games in a game-mode I know no one is playing.
I've given up on anything changing with the matchmaking in Halo 5 - it ain't gonna happen.

Poplulation counters would be nice - but I can kind of understand the reasoning for not having them (purely from a business perspective).

Unless Halo 6 has selectable regional servers, I will never play ANY forthcoming Halo title - I urge all contributors to this thread and the wider dissatisfied european players to follow suit, hit them where it hurts.
eviltedi wrote:
Of course it is a matter of opinion! :) I bloody hope they listen to us and make regional servers as they promised for Halo 5. I don't know why they are so darned stubborn about this thing. Wouldn't hurt with a population counter either. Titanfall is a good example of how it should be done with these things. Doom does it too. I won't bother searching for games in a game-mode I know no one is playing.
Yup Doom and Gears 4, if Halo 5 had them I would still be playing, I will not buy any shooter without them, all we can do is hope. I'm not happy about dropping the franchise that brought me to Xbox, but,,, I feel if I play I'm sending 343i the message that it's ok.
MrVilliams wrote:
I've given up on anything changing with the matchmaking in Halo 5 - it ain't gonna happen.

Poplulation counters would be nice - but I can kind of understand the reasoning for not having them (purely from a business perspective).

Unless Halo 6 has selectable regional servers, I will never play ANY forthcoming Halo title - I urge all contributors to this thread and the wider dissatisfied european players to follow suit, hit them where it hurts.
That's the reason I stopped, I feel I'm sending 343i the wrong message if I play, so I won't play Halo 5 if they're not implemented and I will NOT be buying Halo 6 if it does not have them, I hate to say this = Halo 5 is my biggest regret in recent years, it's my fault, but I should have waited, I would not have bought Halo 5 knowing what I know now. Lesson learned though.
Wait I thought we had Azure servers in the U.K. and Europe.
List of all Microsoft Azure Servers

Locations
Americas
Region Location
East US Virginia
East US 2 Virginia
Central US Iowa
North Central US Illinois
South Central US Texas
West Central US West Central US
West US California
West US 2 West US 2
US Gov. Virginia Virginia
US Gov. Iowa Iowa
Canada East Quebec City
Canada Central Toronto
Brazil South Sao Paulo State

Newly announced
US DoD East To be announced
US DoD Central To be announced
US Gov. Arizona Arizona
US Gov. Texas Texas

Europe
Region Location
North Europe Ireland
West Europe Netherlands
Germany Central Frankfurt
Germany Northeast Magdeburg
UK West Cardiff
UK South London
Newly announced
France Central To be announced
France South To be announced

Asia Pacific
Region Location
Southeast Asia Singapore
East Asia Hong Kong
Australia East New South Wales
Australia Southeast Victoria
Central India Pune
West India Mumbai
South India Chennai
Japan East Tokyo, Saitama
Japan West Osaka
China East Shanghai
China North Beijing

Newly announced
Korea Central Seoul
Korea South To be announced

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/how-halo-5-uses-log-analytics-oms-azure-for-operational-intelligence/
V6R32 wrote:
Wait I thought we had Azure servers in the U.K. and Europe.
We do have them, the existence of European servers is not the debate, go play Titanfall 1, it's on those Azure servers and see the differernce, it's better because we can select Europe, Halo 5 does not always put you on the nearest server, that's the issue, we want server selection.
V6R32 wrote:

Locations
Americas
Region Location
East US Virginia
East US 2 Virginia
Central US Iowa
South Central US Texas
West US California
West US 2 West US 2
US Gov. Iowa Iowa
Canada East Quebec City
Canada Central Toronto

Newly announced
US Gov. Arizona Arizona
US Gov. Texas Texas

Europe
Region Location
North Europe Ireland
West Europe Netherlands
UK West Cardiff
UK South London
Newly announced

Asia Pacific
Region Location
Southeast Asia Singapore
East Asia Hong Kong
Central India Pune
West India Mumbai
South India Chennai
Japan West Osaka
China East Shanghai
China North Beijing

Newly announced
Korea Central Seoul

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/how-halo-5-uses-log-analytics-oms-azure-for-operational-intelligence/
i heard from netduma users that we are only using Amsterdam and ireland servers in EU. Which is mind boggling to me, just WHY?
V6R32 wrote:

Locations
Americas
Region Location
East US Virginia
East US 2 Virginia
Central US Iowa
South Central US Texas
West US California
West US 2 West US 2
US Gov. Iowa Iowa
Canada East Quebec City
Canada Central Toronto

Newly announced
US Gov. Arizona Arizona
US Gov. Texas Texas

Europe
Region Location
North Europe Ireland
West Europe Netherlands
UK West Cardiff
UK South London
Newly announced

Asia Pacific
Region Location
Southeast Asia Singapore
East Asia Hong Kong
Central India Pune
West India Mumbai
South India Chennai
Japan West Osaka
China East Shanghai
China North Beijing

Newly announced
Korea Central Seoul

I'm italian so i know the EU situation: the EU datacenters you listed are correct, you miss none of them.
I know that Germany servers (and i think even UK ones) have been added this summer during Titanfall 2 beta (more precisely the 2nd weekend), in fact tf2 beta received an update to introduce them.
Speaking with some Netduma users we found that Halo 5 is currently using through its server selection algorithm just Amsterdam and Dublin servers, which means that the game has not be updated to use also the most recent ones.

I think this is the same everywhere, even in US. This shows 343 lack of support in the only needed area: matchmaking. Who cares about the new updates if the infrastructure is basically still at the day one version? Remember that netcode or servers doesn't deteriorate in so little time, all the flaws were there since the beginning but the healty population in almost every region hid the problems, thanks to an higher probability to be matched with someone near to you, at low ping and our same skill.

For the Datacenters selection (which i'd love in this game, i consider it a must-have) the matter is very complicated in games like halo where the SKILL FACTOR is preminent.
Using balanced or focused (let's pretend for a moment they are always flawless, which isn't true of course) it's like choosing the nearest server on Titanfall 2. But why on titanfall i can find a game in less than a minute even in very low people online scenarios and in Halo i'm stucked in search screen waiting forever for a game that will never come?
The answer is easy: the H5 HARDCODED SKILL FILTER, which is also the main reason that forced Josh Holmes to go back on his words on server selection feature (promised after H5 beta).

We all know that every mode (even social ones) have a skill rank, visible or hidden doesn't matter. This rank is used as the primary factor to match people.
Are you onyx and you want to play FFA but there are only 100 people in nearest server playing it (and 99 of them are between gold or platinum)? You'll be doomed to eternal waiting. You switch to expanded, the onyx people from 1 becomes 50 and you can find a game, but that match will be doomed by awful latency (like choosing deliberately an US server on titanfall being an EU player).

Titanfall 2 and the social part of GOW4 have no skill parameter so players are found only whithin the selected server, chosen by you or the game itself by a visible ping measurement.

I don't want an halo completely without skill factor, but that could become a manual filter (a checkbox maybe) or other arrangements could be found to make ping the principal filter above all and not skill.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 235
  4. 236
  5. 237
  6. ...
  7. 238