Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

343i, it's time to wake up.

OP iShylock

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
This post has been edited by a moderator. Do not flame others.

Spoiler:
Show
I think this is the thread that will do it. Finally we've got a compelling, well worded, well thought out document, a magna carta for halo, that we can use to show them just how terrible they really are. I mean how could they not see the error of their ways with your list of facts shoved in their incompetent faces, even going so far as to bold the parts that really need emphases. Bravo. Bravo. Everything is going to change now......... °_____°
Mr Zed wrote:
I honestly think it's not 343 who needs to wake up, its the community that needs to wake up.

H5 right now is by far the most fun I have had in any Halo game to date and that is saying something.
The butter smooth gameplay
Extremely high skill-cap
longevity with the arena seasons and REQ's
Endless possibilties with forge and the fact that forge maps actually look quite stunning!

Well okay it doesn't really change anything me listing good things about Halo since there is one thing I have learned from this community.....
Literally no matter what 343 does or add's to the game, there will always be something wrong with it apparently if you look at the forums everytime after something gets added. Its almost like a meme now.
There are elements of Halo 5 that are extremely enjoyable. The mechanics of MP are IMO outstanding and make the gameplay one of the better experiences in the series. But. there are far too many other problem areas in Halo 5 that unfortunately overshadow 343i's outstanding work on the mechanics of H5G.

and I'm not blasting 343i about infection or weapon skins or remixed maps.

The issues raised in the initial post 1) campaign (story, AI,etc) 2) UI 3) lack of social gamemodes 4) the servers and lack of server maintence post launch.
Are the foundations of what grants a game popularity and longevity.

343i should read the following paraphrased material and use it as motivation and allow it to serve as their mission statement for the development of Halo 6.

"
I will never quit. I persevere and thrive on adversity. My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.
We demand discipline. We expect innovation. The lives of my teammates and the success of our mission depend on me - my technical skill, tactical proficiency, and attention to detail. My training is never complete.
We train for war and fight to win. I stand ready to bring the full spectrum of combat power to bear in order to achieve my mission and the goals established by my country. The execution of my duties will be swift and violent when required yet guided by the very principles that I serve to defend.
Brave men have fought and died building the proud tradition and feared reputation that I am bound to uphold. In the worst of conditions, the legacy of my teammates steadies my resolve and silently guides my every deed. I will not fail. "

source: http://www.public.navy.mil/nsw/Pages/EthosCreed.aspx
This post has been edited by a moderator. Do not make non-constructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show
iShylock wrote:
I'm a 35 year old, married & college educated professional. Thoughtout the years, I have been, and remained, a dedicated/diehard fan of this franchise...

and i must say.

I'm an arbitrary age and have been educated and have a piece of paper telling me so. Throughout the years, developed a sense of entitlement. Let me tell you how this makes my opinion hold more weight...

and i must say.

343i, your company has IMPROVED a franchise I loved so dearly for nearly TWO DECADES!

343, its time to go back to sleep
Stating your subjective opinion as fact while trying to belittle another person's opinion. Yeah, that doesn't make your opinion hold more weight just because you happen to like the game. You like Halo 5, cool! Some people don't, in fact, I'd say quite a lot of people don't considering the current player population versus the amount of people that bought the game. And don't say that it is just because of competition, because there's no way that so many people bought the game and liked it, but happen to be playing other games for so long with no thoughts of coming back to Halo, especially not 7 months after launch.
For being 35 and college educated you sure whine like a little kid OP.

Halo 5 is fun. Campaign isn't great but everything else is stellar. Forge and MP are the best in the series. Just chill out and try to enjoy it man.
Okay. But I disagree with your assessment of everything else being stellar. 343i designed Halo 5's MP to be the most competitive MP in the series. I just finished a game in FFA and came in 3rd due to 4 would-be kills turned into assists because my melee hits didn't register due to lag. And the lag is not occurring on my end.

This isn't CoD, or some other annually released mind numbing shooter, this is halo. I (we) have to wait 3-4 years between games. And I (we) should expect and demand more (as close to perfection as humanly possible).
iShylock wrote:
I'm a 35 year old, married & college educated professional. Thoughtout the years, I have been, and remained, a dedicated/diehard fan of this franchise...

and i must say.

343i, your company has DESTROYED a franchise I loved so dearly for nearly TWO DECADES!

Between the MCC and Halo 5 Guardians, you have unequivocally & undeniably shown Microsoft made a catastrophic decision by ENTRUSTING you with the Halo franchise.

There are so many GLARING failures that I don't know where to begin. Let's look at H5G:

1). The campaign. Easily THE WORST IN FRANCHISE HISTORY. it's not even a contest. The AI and fireteam concepts are shameful. The story, bad. The engine, belonged on the 360, not the Xbox One. The level design, incomplete and linear. The character development, non existent. The marketing campaign, misleading to the extent of appearing intentional. The list could go on and on
2). The User Interface, not friendly, clunky, slow and complicated. What exactly was going through the minds of the developers who created this unorganized and hard to use mess? How could you allow something so bad to ship?
3). The lack of anything social in MP! Was your intent to cause a large percentage of your fanbase to develop an early onset of cardiac problems?
4). The servers. 343i, Inspite of your recent work product, You have a fan base that spans THE KNOWN WORLD (otherwise known as) PLANET EARTH. how could you fail to have the proper infrastructure laid out for fans who enjoy multiplayer? especially after the MCC debacle?
5). The lack of common sense to perform badly needed maintence on your servers after each new content update (the lag in multiplayer is now out of control).

This list is by no means all inclusive.

Im sorry for ranting. But something's gotta give

Halo is too important to allow 343i's bush league amateurs to continue making a mockery out of what we have come to love so dearly.
.
I and ALL my Waypoint banned friends 100% agree with your post.

343 has utterly destroyed the Halo franchise. The look and feel of Halo is long gone thanks to 343's idea of what Halo is. It's literally as if they purposely tried to UNDO everything BUNGIE did well.

Like you said, REACH had the very BEST UI and beyond any reasonable doubt REACH had the single best armor customization. The MM lobby in REACH was hands down the best. You could see the armor of each player in that match in the Lobby. So awesome. With Halo 5 we get a bunch of rectangles with meaningless graphics which makes everyone unrecognizable. LAME.
Halo 4 multiplayer was enough to convince me they were just out to milk the franchise, what a sick joke that was
Halo reach campaign to me was way worst. It was basically a giant middle finger to people that read fall of reach. That book is way better than the game, so why couldn't they just use the same story instead of making a worst one?
Mr Zed wrote:
I honestly think it's not 343 who needs to wake up, its the community that needs to wake up.
No, you wake up.

The community is gone.
iShylock wrote:
I'm a 35 year old, married & college educated professional. Thoughtout the years, I have been, and remained, a dedicated/diehard fan of this franchise...

and i must say.

343i, your company has DESTROYED a franchise I loved so dearly for nearly TWO DECADES!

Between the MCC and Halo 5 Guardians, you have unequivocally & undeniably shown Microsoft made a catastrophic decision by ENTRUSTING you with the Halo franchise.

There are so many GLARING failures that I don't know where to begin. Let's look at H5G:

1). The campaign. Easily THE WORST IN FRANCHISE HISTORY. it's not even a contest. The AI and fireteam concepts are shameful. The story, bad. The engine, belonged on the 360, not the Xbox One. The level design, incomplete and linear. The character development, non existent. The marketing campaign, misleading to the extent of appearing intentional. The list could go on and on
2). The User Interface, not friendly, clunky, slow and complicated. What exactly was going through the minds of the developers who created this unorganized and hard to use mess? How could you allow something so bad to ship?
3). The lack of anything social in MP! Was your intent to cause a large percentage of your fanbase to develop an early onset of cardiac problems?
4). The servers. 343i, Inspite of your recent work product, You have a fan base that spans THE KNOWN WORLD (otherwise known as) PLANET EARTH. how could you fail to have the proper infrastructure laid out for fans who enjoy multiplayer? especially after the MCC debacle?
5). The lack of common sense to perform badly needed maintence on your servers after each new ccontent update (the lag in multiplayer is now out of control).

This list is by no means all inclusive.

Im sorry for ranting. But something's gotta give

Halo is too important to allow 343i's bush league amateurs to continue making a mockery out of what we have come to love so dearly.
How did they ruin halo? Can't you just play them on the 360? Did the great memories of past halo games on Xbox you obtained disappear when h5 comes out? Also it doesn't take a college degree to freakin Judge how fun something is because you can't . It's jubjective.
iShylock wrote:
For being 35 and college educated you sure whine like a little kid OP.

Halo 5 is fun. Campaign isn't great but everything else is stellar. Forge and MP are the best in the series. Just chill out and try to enjoy it man.
Okay. But I disagree with your assessment of everything else being stellar. 343i designed Halo 5's MP to be the most competitive MP in the series. I just finished a game in FFA and came in 3rd due to 4 would-be kills turned into assists because my melee hits didn't register due to lag. And the lag is not occurring on my end.

This isn't CoD, or some other annually released mind numbing shooter, this is halo. I (we) have to wait 3-4 years between games. And I (we) should expect and demand more (as close to perfection as humanly possible).
Whether that's true or not it's a bad argument. You sound like a kid that call lag when he lose.
Op I'm about your age same scenario. I love halo 5. Yes campaign sucks but the multiplayer is the best in the series ( :o yes I said it).

I do however strongly agree with you about the campaign as that's what got me hooked on halo and I hold halo ce near and dear to my heart. 343 has to improve on this.

343 also needs to re market this games multiplayer this summer. I've mentioned this before in other post. This game isn't at all what it was in October and the people that turned away from it need to see that. They shouldnt ever mislead again in their marketing as I feel this is where they lost a lot of loyal campaign only players. I for know I ran through the campaign of 1-3 more times than I can count (and that was ages ago). Halo 5 campaign will be lucky if I grace it a second time. His being said they do not need to re market the campaign period.
Does anyone else smell first world problems? I just can't make out where it's coming from...

It's a game, OP. A game. Get over it, or find a new hobby or something. Easy.
PolyG3D wrote:
Mr Zed wrote:
I honestly think it's not 343 who needs to wake up, its the community that needs to wake up.
No, you wake up.
The community is gone.
I need to wake up. Brb brewing some coffee.
Quote:
How did they ruin halo? Can't you just play them on the 360? Did the great memories of past halo games on Xbox you obtained disappear when h5 comes out? Also it doesn't take a college degree to freakin Judge how fun something is because you can't . It's jubjective.
They revived the franchise, but the games they have given us don't live up to the past games (IN MUH OPENION).

I like the old games. Yet there's several flaws about them I can't continue to ignore, there's plenty of room for improvement. What I want is a new Halo game that improves upon the old formula. That's typically what sequels do, y'know?

I don't feel I've received that. Instead I feel like I've received an entirely alien product. When was Halo ever about "mobility", "Prometheans" and REQ's? That's not the Halo I remember, regardless if you're talking about Ce or Reach.

Quote:
Does anyone else smell first world problems? I just can't make out where it's coming from...It's a game, OP. A game. Get over it, or find a new hobby or something. Easy.
And these are forums for discussing or criticizing the game. You're free to do anything else.
iShylock wrote:
The character development, non existent.
Besides the Arbiter in Halo 2, and Cortana & Chief in Halo 4, I haven't really played a Halo game that had this. CE? Not really. Johnson didn't even have a name in that game. Halo 3? Chief spent most of the campaign with Arbiter and spoke but a single word to him: "worse". That's it. At least Locke had some dialog with the Sangheili. ODST? There was no backstory on those characters; Romeo never told us where he was from, like Tanaka does in Halo 5 in regards to the glassing of her colony home world. Nor does Micky tell us how he became an explosives expert like Vale tells us how she learned Sangheili. But other than that, I am not a fan of the over all story, which is a shame because I thought Halo 4 had a lovely story.

Reach is a little different ... we all know they were all trained to be soldiers from childhood (both the Spartan 3's and Jorge), so backstories would be odd, but we got a taste of their personalities, which is really all you can do in that case.

But you're not really wrong on your other points. Many of them are subjective, like Halo 5's level design; I actually quite enjoy it. Of course it's linear. What the hell are you expecting, to be plopped down in a San Andreas style map? But many of the shortcomings can be blamed on two things: the "need" for 1080p/60fps and the serious limitations of the Xbox One. I mean, right now Halo 5 is sitting at 81.3gb and there are more updates coming. The MCC is 70.8gb. So it's not like they were cutting corners out of laziness, by the time we get the Hog Wild update, Halo 5 will be the larger than every other Halo game combined. So what you're seeing graphics wise that makes you think the engine is crap is just the result of crappy Xbox One hardware that was already dated in 2013.

But anyway, yeah they've definitely hit a few bumps along the way, but they've also hit a few home runs in my opinion. I'm a big lore fan and they've catered to us quite well. I also think they've done a good job with finding a nice middle ground in regards to classic style arena (equal starts, power weapons on maps, no perks, no flinch, descope, etc.) while also utilizing modern movement mechanics. That said, it would be nice if Microsoft would get their servers in order.

Also, I'm 30 years old, also married & college educated ... only I'm extremely unprofessional. lol
iShylock wrote:
I'm a 35 year old, married & college educated professional. Thoughtout the years, I have been, and remained, a dedicated/diehard fan of this franchise...

and i must say.

343i, your company has DESTROYED a franchise I loved so dearly for nearly TWO DECADES!

Between the MCC and Halo 5 Guardians, you have unequivocally & undeniably shown Microsoft made a catastrophic decision by ENTRUSTING you with the Halo franchise.

There are so many GLARING failures that I don't know where to begin. Let's look at H5G:

1). The campaign. Easily THE WORST IN FRANCHISE HISTORY. it's not even a contest. The AI and fireteam concepts are shameful. The story, bad. The engine, belonged on the 360, not the Xbox One. The level design, incomplete and linear. The character development, non existent. The marketing campaign, misleading to the extent of appearing intentional. The list could go on and on
2). The User Interface, not friendly, clunky, slow and complicated. What exactly was going through the minds of the developers who created this unorganized and hard to use mess? How could you allow something so bad to ship?
3). The lack of anything social in MP! Was your intent to cause a large percentage of your fanbase to develop an early onset of cardiac problems?
4). The servers. 343i, Inspite of your recent work product, You have a fan base that spans THE KNOWN WORLD (otherwise known as) PLANET EARTH. how could you fail to have the proper infrastructure laid out for fans who enjoy multiplayer? especially after the MCC debacle?
5). The lack of common sense to perform badly needed maintence on your servers after each new content update (the lag in multiplayer is now out of control).

This list is by no means all inclusive.

Im sorry for ranting. But something's gotta give

Halo is too important to allow 343i's bush league amateurs to continue making a mockery out of what we have come to love so dearly.
I really must say I agree with you.. Don't get me wrong I always have tried to stay positive but its getting to the point where its not doing any good to back 343 when they are clearly in over there head. While you have brought up all good points I primarily focus on how the game plays and performs. And just on the performance it just falls apart quick. There is some serious server issues/netcode issues that are still rearing there ugly head. Some may not even of know this but when H5 came out the game wasn't even compatible with all ISP. TWC, Charter Spectrum, and others. had serious lag issues that was caused by 343 not the ISP. While 343 did do some patch work they are still trying to fine tune and fix issues like this. While this sounds like a full on bash to 343 its not. I just don't think they have the full experience needed to build such a game as Halo. Heck there is even still sound issues that haven't been addressed yet. If they cant handle fixing issues like that they sure cant handle more serious ones pertaining to netcoding and server issues. This is just one area I bring up. I could run a list a mile long of other issues but why.. Nothing will change.. If it was my name being put on the game I sure wouldn't have let it come out like this.. No way!!
Quote:
But you're not really wrong on your other points. Many of them are subjective, like Halo 5's level design; I actually quite enjoy it. Of course it's linear. What the hell are you expecting, to be plopped down in a San Andreas style map?
If possible you should get Halo Custom Edition and The Silent Cartographer Evolved (a re-imagining of the level of the same name).

It's linear in the sense you go from a starting point to a finish point, but you're given multiple ways to approach the level, even more than the original level, you aren't confined to just going a single direction.

If I want to go to structure B instead of structure A, I can.

If I want to run straight to the bottom of Structure B and enter it, I can. If I want to take the long way across the map that leads to a vantage point overlooking structure B for a safer entrance, I can do that as well.
Richnj wrote:
Ramir3z77 wrote:
I keep trying and failing to rationalize the state of Halo 5 to myself.
I'm inclined to believe that Warzone is responsible for a lot of problems, and the mode itself confounds me.
I'm not going to deny there was a demand for a larger scale gamemode. Even I thought it would be a decent idea at the time. However I never expected them to execute it in the manner that they did. What I expected, what I think a lot of people expected, was some sort of standalone mode containing a few upscaled maps and larger vehicles. Nothing too ambitious or intrusive.
What we got was a gigantic mode that most of the game is designed around or intertwined with in some way. An ambitious MOBA mode containing hundreds of custom items, with a brand new system primarily based on providing and distributing items for the new mode but also providing customization for all modes. I believe it's where a large majority of the game's attention and resources initially went and continue to go, and as a result the Arena aspect of the game is left lacking in comparison. Time that could've been spent programming Assault or Infection was instead allocated to programming AI and the REQ system.
And honestly, the mode we got as a result isn't even all that good, and only continues to unnecessarily grow more and more each month.
I mean so far that's the only plausible explanation I can come up with for the sheer lack of content.
Yeah. They made new engine, have REQS, Warzone and were/are missing all other features as a result.

To me it is all a clear sign that they started with the idea of a REQ system and a casual game mode to sell them through. Because this required a new engine and the focus of the work went in to the REQs and Warzone, we saw classic Halo features removed or delayed in order to see Warzone make the launch. So BTB, Forge, infection, Firefight, Assault, Griffball, all delayed. Ad things like LAN and Split screen completely cut.

343i clearly approach the development of Halo completely different and it shows.
It isnt even a new engine. They even say so in the sprint.
New mechanics that were started from scratch.
For being 35 and college educated you sure whine like a little kid OP.

Halo 5 is fun. Campaign isn't great but everything else is stellar. Forge and MP are the best in the series. Just chill out and try to enjoy it man.
He was in no way whining like a little kid. He made a claim and gave sufficient and reasonable evidence to back it up. You're just butthurt because you don't agree with his opinion. Also, his argument was that MP didn't have enough social modes, not that it wasn't fun. If you're going to try to refute him, try using his actual points.
iShylock wrote:
I'm a 35 year old, married & college educated professional. Thoughtout the years, I have been, and remained, a dedicated/diehard fan of this franchise...

and i must say.

I'm an arbitrary age and have been educated and have a piece of paper telling me so. Throughout the years, developed a sense of entitlement. Let me tell you how this makes my opinion hold more weight...

and i must say.

343i, your company has IMPROVED a franchise I loved so dearly for nearly TWO DECADES!

343, its time to go back to sleep
^Now THIS is childish.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7