2. ...
  3. 40
  4. 41
  5. 42
  6. 43
  7. 44
  8. ...
  9. 106
Yeah, I think it is hard to really say what 'halo' is. I mean so many people have different memories and ideas of what halo gameplay is. Some have fond recollections about different features or different experiences they have had. And then claim X is what Halo really is not Y. And yet others would disagree that X existed or was even important. I would certainly disagree with some of the op assertions.

I dont think anybody holds a monopoly on what they think Halo is. Not to get drawn into some tedious discussion....

I like Spartan chatter it helps with communication on a non communicating team. Callouts and stuff of the like. Pretty cool addition.

I like sprint and hitmarkers the game would feel weird without them.

Really? Complaining about how the spartans pose at the end of match...just seems to be petty.

DMR/BR...Assault Rifle/SMG are the not same weapons DMR/SMG have greater range. SMG seems to be more powerful than an AR. They are not the same weapon.

Personally I like Halo 5. the map design allows for so much movement across varying structures. And I think it really puts emphasis on teamwork.

hey we have living proof as to what true halo is thanks to the MCC collection on Xbox one. We have proved many times what the original trilogy is like.
Not so much, because people have fond memories of BTB while people say Halo is an arena shooter. Others with dual weapon capabilities, others favor BR type of weapons as part of a standard of the game where others claim the AR/SMG is the true halo way. The OP says a slower pace game is what halo is and yet others say faster gameplay is desiried. Reach and Halo 4 had lower kill rates and people complained. Halo 5 Beta quicker kill rates, people complain. Halo 5 beta features maps that allow for quick flanking times and smaller maps. More complaints. Just on and on, people have varying interpretations of what were the highpoints of the halo series and what should be replicated.

Sure the gameplay mechanics are fixed and so grenade damage does X all the time in a certain game. However the debate is not centered about actual breakdown of gameplay mechanics but the much more subjective interpretations of past gaming experiences. A simple glance at forums and discussion boards reveals the lack of consensus about preferred gameplay. Sure plenty flock to the presumed authority of 'professional players' but then others run counter to that and prefer different gameplay mechanics. And yet both claim their interpretations of halo are true and what halo is meant to be. Not easily reconciled beliefs, but my post was to merely to express caution listening to people claiming what halo is. And of course adding that some complaints are completely aesthetic like the stance used by the spartans at the end of the match or about medal breakdowns. I mean seriously...that is just getting ridiculous.
I don't agree with all of your points (particularly TTK and melee prevalence - Halo 1 has a faster TTK than H5 yet it's balanced much better thanks to the shooting mechanics making it significantly more difficult to get a perfect kill to the point that strings of perfect kills as the highest level are montage-worthy where they're not in any other Halo), OP, but I do agree with the general slant of your essay.

Halo does feel like it's been suffering an identity crisis for a very long time now, and a return to the deep yet simple gameplay that it all started with would be much more enjoyable than the overly complex yet more shallow experience we saw begin with Reach and continue in Halo 4.
MATCLAN wrote:
I don't agree with all of your points (particularly TTK and melee prevalence - Halo 1 has a faster TTK than H5 yet it's balanced much better thanks to the shooting mechanics making it significantly more difficult to get a perfect kill to the point that strings of perfect kills as the highest level are montage-worthy where they're not in any other Halo), OP, but I do agree with the general slant of your essay.

Halo does feel like it's been suffering an identity crisis for a very long time now, and a return to the deep yet simple gameplay that it all started with would be much more enjoyable than the overly complex yet more shallow experience we saw begin with Reach and continue in Halo 4.
I agree and disagree slightly, the new Spartan Abilities are a great addition, but as you said, Halo is suffering from an identity crisis
Just thought I'd bump this amazing thread.
Halo is becoming a clone of CoD....it loosing is essence....
Play the beta with sound off....

In Titanfall you know its that game...CoD too....
But the Halo beta...Its a mix of thing that dont work.
Whats next ....wallrunning and double jump!!!!

After 13 years of Halo...im loosing faith....
What I don't understand about the halo community is that they want everything to be the same as in halo 2 and 3 with better graphics, yet they ridicule COD for being the same game with better graphics every year. WTF
people hate cod not for the fact it uses the same game engine and is the same but other aspects like near instant death on any weapon, extreme unbalance, nuke drops not skill or teamwork based. i watched someone run into the middle of a cod map on youtube , hold down the fire button and spin in a circle with his machine gun and got first place.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Halo is becoming a clone of CoD....it loosing is essence....
Play the beta with sound off....

In Titanfall you know its that game...CoD too....
But the Halo beta...Its a mix of thing that dont work.
Whats next ....wallrunning and double jump!!!!

After 13 years of Halo...im loosing faith....
ive lost faith along time ago, sir go watch the youtube video by gamespot titled " halo 4 a post mortem" watch in horror as you see 343i plans to make the series casual and noob friendly and masterchief in a wheelchiar...no literally in a wheelchair calling it accessible halo. also how 343i took questions and laughed and taunted at legitimate questions
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show
I completely agree with everything you said.

Sprint is a plague to Halo. As if an absurdly low TTK wasn't enough, now I can't even win my 1v1 BR fights because his team sprints to his aid to team shoot (not to mention that this flinch bug makes it near impossible to even grab that final headshot and die with dignity). Watching your kill get away from you, not due to your mistakes but due to mechanics that allow them to flee, is amazingly frustrating for me. In previous Halos, you could take on 2 guys, maybe 3, by yourself and have a decent chance of coming out on top. Not anymore.

This is the least fun I've had playing Halo. Yes, it's a beta, but I had fun during Reach's beta and Halo 3's beta, so don't tell me betas aren't supposed to be fun.

I just don't have faith in 343 anymore. They botch MCC and they won't change any mechanic in H5. They want sprint in the game, they want killcams, they want these mechanics that just aren't Halo.
343i has a lot of former cod developers working there too. josh holmes also hates traditional halo and when halo 4 was first made they had a classic build up and josh said to scrap it as its too traditional. 343i will continue down this path adding riddiculous things that have no place in halo and halo 5 which will inevitably fail to bring back the amazing badass top notch, balanced, communication teamwork and skill based gameplay of classic halo. the series will die out with halo 5.

Sprint is a plague to Halo. As if an absurdly low TTK wasn't enough, now I can't even win my 1v1 BR fights because his team sprints to his aid to team shoot (not to mention that this flinch bug makes it near impossible to even grab that final headshot and die with dignity). Watching your kill get away from you, not due to your mistakes but due to mechanics that allow them to flee, is amazingly frustrating for me. In previous Halos, you could take on 2 guys, maybe 3, by yourself and have a decent chance of coming out on top. Not anymore.

This is the least fun I've had playing Halo. Yes, it's a beta, but I had fun during Reach's beta and Halo 3's beta, so don't tell me betas aren't supposed to be fun.

I just don't have faith in 343 anymore. They botch MCC and they won't change any mechanic in H5. They want sprint in the game, they want killcams, they want these mechanics that just aren't Halo.

343i has a lot of former cod developers working there too. josh holmes also hates traditional halo and when halo 4 was first made they had a classic build up and josh said to scrap it as its too traditional. 343i will continue down this path adding riddiculous things that have no place in halo and halo 5 which will inevitably fail to bring back the amazing badass top notch, balanced, communication teamwork and skill based gameplay of classic halo. the series will die out with halo 5.
Yup this kid knows... Feels like Im the oly one sometimes its really sad how evil their kind of behaving to halos community :(

Yup this kid knows... Feels like Im the oly one sometimes its really sad how evil their kind of behaving to halos community :(
im becomming a old man, going to be 28 this april, you are most definately not the only one but one of the majority true halo fans who echo the same sentiment. casuals , people who play cod etc are killing gaming. even casual kings nintendo are figuring this one out, shigeru miyamoto said recently and i quote" the way causals approach gaming are pathetic" these casuals the same ones who want instant gratification are the same ones that have helped free to play pay to win games become the norm not only on cellphones but now into console games, it is these idiots that have turned the gaming industry which was once about greatness, fun, discovery, accomplishment into one where instead of finding levels, unlocking weapons and other cool -Yoink- for PLAYING the game now you no longer do that but you must BUY THAT WEAPON, and BUY THAT LEVEL etc. these dumb gamers who grew up being ripped off, born to games that have locked on the disc dlc, dlc planned before the game is made, dlc planned atleast a year from completion , born to games needing 40 GB patches to fix, born to getting incomplete rubbish games that are all about milking every penny it can, have only ensured this kind of activity continues, they defend it blindy. i love halo its core gameplay is so much fun. some of the BEST times in my whole life were playing halo 1 and 2 lan. so many great memories even moving onto 3, dynamite! reach was a step in the wrong direction and 4 went completely off the rails and into the sun. 5 may be where its burns every molecule till nothing remains. halo 5 343i last chance to revive this franchise, if it fails i can guarantee this series is dead, even if they tried to bring back classic halo, people have their limits
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.

Spoiler:
Show
I have to say though I think halo rech was great not because of the game itself but how deeply complex and diverse it made the clan clan community which Halo 4 ultimately destroyed :/
I have to say though I think halo rech was great not because of the game itself but how deeply complex and diverse it made the clan clan community which Halo 4 ultimately destroyed :/
i know i was in a halo reach clan myself. the clan community was pretty good for reach, halo 4 definately killed it. the clan died when halo 4 came out, people hated it and didnt want to move forward and everything kinda collapsed. i want to see classic halo revived, not the exact same games but similar feeling and mechanics, of course add a few new things,2 and 3 did that to good success. what halo 4 did and halo 5 is doing is not halo. my wife is buying me a xbox one for my upcomming birthday so i can play halo: mcc im looking forward to halo 2 campaign updated with blurs badass cutscenes! plus it would be great to show my buddies who missed out on halo 2 online to show them the great map design and levels.
im not offended by the kid reference, usually though when its used its in a derrogatory way. im glad even though your young you got to experience halo at its finest, most youth today do not understand the past and the lessens learned from it, you are an exception. halo 2 legendary was the hardest in my opinion even on co-op because in halo 2 if your partner died it was back to checkpoint no respawning!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.

Spoiler:
Show
Wow how did that text get so messed up and repeated?
Great post
How can we get this to 343??? Halo needs fixing and this guy knows how.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 40
  4. 41
  5. 42
  6. 43
  7. 44
  8. ...
  9. 106