Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] 3D Printed Spartans look pretty bad...

OP Hot Juicy Pie

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 15
I'd like one even tho its not as great as I thought. It would still be cool for memorabilia reasons alone. Price is kinda steep tho. We'll see :/
theR3AP3R wrote:
I noticed this in the trailer. Looks like they're made of sand and spit.
I have WAY better places to put my spit.
DSight wrote:
Buyer beware, but honestly they couldn't even make a proper Halo game... you thought they could nail a 3D printed statue?
Not the same company. Take your 343i bandwagon hate elsewhere.
No but they are the company who contracted Sandbox, take it or leave it, but I doubt I'd believe Brian Reed and Bonnie Ross if they told me the sky was blue...
DSight wrote:
LOL!!!!! What did you expect? It's 343...
Actually this is from a company called Sandbxr. This has nothing to do with 343i so you can take your bandwagon 343i hate somewhere else.
But it's got nowhere to go :(
I think custom painting a McFarlane figure would give you better results even if you are kind of a crappy painter.
I think custom painting a McFarlane figure would give you better results even if you are kind of a crappy painter.
No kidding, that's probably because the manufacturing process is completely different using completely different materials.

DSight wrote:
Buyer beware, but honestly they couldn't even make a proper Halo game... you thought they could nail a 3D printed statue?
No but they are the company who contracted Sandbox, take it or leave it, but I doubt I'd believe Brian Reed and Bonnie Ross if they told me the sky was blue...
So you're blaming Sandbxr's quality on 343i's decision to choose them? What does Brian Reed have to do with Sandbxr? I could see maybe Bonnie Ross having to sign off on the contract to license out Halo to Sandbxr, but that still has nothing to do with the quality of the 3D prints.

What other options should they have gone with besides "A) Sandbxr" and "D) None of the above" for your own custom made Spartan statue?
As it stands, all the pictures I've seen look like a three year old painted them with a spoon, I've been painting models like these for years in all genres and it takes a lot of time and patience to make one look even half decent. This is mass produced stuff, the industry standard is either resin, which gives the best details, or injection moulded plastic which you find in the casual figure collection. 3D might be good someday but right now this looks brutal.
DSight wrote:
No kidding, that's probably because the manufacturing process is completely different using completely different materials.
That only indicates that they are using a sub optimal process. I've seen home use printers make more defined prints than these that don't look nearly as rugged or unfinished.

I look at these and conclude that either they are using poor printers, or that they are using lazily designed 3D template renders. I'm voting for the latter.

Honestly, you could tell me this came out of a Creepy Crawlers oven, and I'd believe it.
DSight wrote:
The sky isn't blue. We perceive it as being blue because of the nitrogen.
Gonna have to agree with the OP here, that looks like it is crusted in bleached fecal matter. They could at least touch it up with SOME paint to get rid of the white spots.
Thanks for posting this. I was planning on ordering one for Christmas and you have just saved me the disappointment :)
DSight wrote:
Actually this is from a company called Sandbxr. This has nothing to do with 343i so you can take your bandwagon 343i hate somewhere else.
Actually it is a partnership between both of them and I highly doubt 343i didn't check the quality before making this a thing.
Dang, How is it gonna be spam and spark off a convo,Oh well. "lol"
DSight wrote:
Actually it is a partnership between both of them and I highly doubt 343i didn't check the quality before making this a thing.
The only thing that 343i is control of regarding these 3D prints is who they contracted the license to print them. They chose Sandboxer. Its not like they're going to choose Sandboxer and then tell them to up the quality and change their manufacturing process.
OP - I'm sorry. Someone posted that it looks like sand & spit. Unfortunately I agree. Thanks for sharing the picture. 343 keeps shooting themselves in the foot it seems. I'm loosing confidence faster and faster. It may have been better if they had just not offer something rather than put out a bad product. Whose in charge? Don't you know that every product that goes out with your license is a representation of the company?
Maybe OP was just unlucky. All the other pictures i have seen look pretty good
Yep was about to say the same thing its cheaper and more high quality to get what you want.
Does the who, what, or why matter..... they look like crap so buyer beware...
provide some evidence before ya go on bashing the product. The ones that I've seen look fine, not flawless but its what ya get.
Has anyone besides OP gotten one yet?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 15