Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

A few suggestions for the Castle Wars playlist

OP The JinjaBaker

Hello everyone! I've been playing a LOT of the Castle Wars CTF playlist recently, having been a fan of the game mode since Reach, and I wanted to share my thoughts on some balance-related aspects of the playlist to see if anyone agrees. I know CW is an extremely casual gametype and thus many people just don't care about these relatively minor details which I'm going to bring up, but I think they're worth discussing anyway.

Also, I want to first mention that I love and enjoy the playlist already, and also don't actually really expect anything to change in it no matter what I or others say. Still, it's worth talking about to at least see if others agree.
  1. This is by far the most pressing to me: in my opinion, Spartan Charges are not properly balanced. Let me first note, for the sake of objectivity, that I'm probably biased against Spartan Charges because I personally find them very frustrating at time to fight against, but I do think there are some legitimate issues with the Spartan ability as it currently exists in the context of CW. Unlike the other Spartan Abilities, it does not introduce any interesting gameplay opportunities that don't exist without it. Unlike the other abilities, the extent to which one can punish a bad Spartan charge seems very random, and sometimes after a clash between a person who Spartan charges and a person who lunges normally, the Spartan charge will either outright win or have a time advantage on the next sword swing. Finally, forcing a trade with a Spartan charge is far too easy for an ability that is, again, sometimes not easily punishable, and this makes it harder to actually get meaningfully better at the gametype. Yes, I'm aware that there are ways to counter Spartan charges, most of which involve baiting out a sloppy one that either comes up short or misses, but again these aren't entirely reliable.
  2. The Gravity Hammers and Prophet's Bane are downright broken when in the right hands, especially when used to spawn-camp. I understand that power weapon usage is a key part of Halo's formula, but if someone competent is using these weapons (though this is really more true of the Gravity Hammers, surprisingly), it is quite literally impossible to win a 1v1 against them. The hammers take precedence over any sword lunge, but this wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that the hammers also can lunge when using Smart Scope. For great examples of power weapons in a CW gametype, look at Ravening Sliver and Vorpal Talon. They offer distinct advantages but never guarantee a win in a duel, especially if the user doesn't know what he's doing.
  3. The Splinter Turret should not exist on Ecumene Sanctum. Players who can't get into a warthog are entirely defenseless against it. In previous games, turrets in CW maps have been able to work due to mechanics like Hardlight shield, but this is not the case in Halo 5. The same isn't true of the Shade Turrets in the Sunaion map, as there are plenty of opportunities to shield oneself from or avoid their fire on the way to the enemy base in that map.
  4. This is moreso an opinion, but grenade pickup leads to some almost ridiculously lengthy grenade barrages. A one-and-done system would avoid that.
  5. There's no penalty for repeated blatant same-team splatters. These can get ridiculous and are pretty frustrating in-game.
Those are the ones that come to mind - there may be a few more but if there are they're extremely minor. So yep, there's my list of thoughts on this playlist. I'm glad that it's back and look forward to playing a bunch more of it in the days to come!
1. I dont think so, I´m Very happy when some guy comes to me with a Spartan charge is almost a win for me, I only use the Spartan charge when the opponent is distrated with someone else.
2. Agree with Prophets Bane is almost a Win for the team with it (only if the guy know what to do)but both teams has the same opportunity to get it, Hammer in Ecume is very easy to kill it, Hammer in necromancer could be difficult sometimes but no OP for me.
3. I dont agree with this, the maps has some "columns" you can use for cover, also if the turret guy is near is easier to kill it, and if is far away is difficult for him to hit in the objective.
4. You cant do this, if we cant pick granades, that is not really important for me.
5. Sometimes you cant dodge your partners because you can lose speed, and almost in every game you need do that for win, also I dont know but I think you can get kicked out if you kill 3 partners in a few time in others game like grfitball, maybe in CW is the same I have never seen some guy splatter 3 or more partners in one rush (tecnically yes but some partners are hurt and that count for enemy kills)
Alucardko wrote:
1. I dont think so, I´m Very happy when some guy comes to me with a Spartan charge is almost a win for me, I only use the Spartan charge when the opponent is distrated with someone else.
2. Agree with Prophets Bane is almost a Win for the team with it (only if the guy know what to do)but both teams has the same opportunity to get it, Hammer in Ecume is very easy to kill it, Hammer in necromancer could be difficult sometimes but no OP for me.
3. I dont agree with this, the maps has some "columns" you can use for cover, also if the turret guy is near is easier to kill it, and if is far away is difficult for him to hit in the objective.
4. You cant do this, if we cant pick granades, that is not really important for me.
5. Sometimes you cant dodge your partners because you can lose speed, and almost in every game you need do that for win, also I dont know but I think you can get kicked out if you kill 3 partners in a few time in others game like grfitball, maybe in CW is the same I have never seen some guy splatter 3 or more partners in one rush (tecnically yes but some partners are hurt and that count for enemy kills)
1. Are the people you're clashing with who are Spartan Charging lunging as soon as they can on recovery?
2. Fair enough
3. The "columns" are completely insufficient as cover from the splinter turret. Not only does the turret's shot have significant splash damage, but on impact it releases smaller shots to its sides - both can kill someone standing directly behind the columns you're referring to.
4. That's a cool clip, but it raises the question of it one should have that easy access to that many grenades, in order to get kills like that.
5. As far as I'm aware there's currently no teamkilling penalty at all in Castle Wars.