[Locked] A sprint debate, an email I received

OP iTz Mop Up Marv

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
So a guy sent me an email trying to say how bad sprinting is for Halo, well here is a nice big response I sent back. I will be nice and not share who sent this to me but he didn't like the outcome of the reality of things I can tell you that. So here it is:

Actually you said one big thing, and than you ran away scared to debate this topic cause you don't ever have any truth behind your opinions, that is your own fault sir. 2nd you're acting like your in a cult, passing on this so called knowledge of a torch. Dumbest thing I've heard, you do realize a cult is a group of people who believe in one thing, yet follow a leader or a group of people, because they can't think for themselves and they want to try and be something better from what they are not. Fact is you can't truly think for yourself and come up with actual fact, you still just have a hypothesis and an opinion, that is distorted with reality, and looking at the whole picture, the bigger picture.

Lets take a look at arena shooter games. Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 arena, Duke Nukem, Conkers Bad fur Day, 007 Goldeneye and other 007 games, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark. And the list goes on, but what makes these games arena gameplay? You have a match that everyone starts out on an even playing field, no custom loadouts, same guns, same abilities, some are aggressive play, while others can be slow played. There are weapons that spawn on maps, that if you are good enough to get there first and or kill guys to get there you get a good weapon to use on your opponents. Each game has their own unique ways of moving around a map or defeating your opponent, but its still on the same playing field.

Take a look at Unreal Tournament, you have a translocater to teleport yourself around a map, you can get a grapple and a hoverboard in later games to move around quicker. You have a dodge ability which is like a big side step to out strafe opponents, much as Halo 5's thruster. You have tons of weapons all with their pros and cons but yet they can all still be used very effectively to be used against your opponent, you just have to make the decision in how to use them. All of this comes down to effective arena gameplay.

Than look at 343 and the reality of the Halo universe, Spartans are suppose to be fast and efficient, very accurate as well, why cause they are supersoldiers. And I want to feel like a supersoldier, not like a slow walking incapable machine of doing things effectively. So I have to be able to get in and out of places fast and efficiently. You should be able to traverse areas of a map, and do things normal people shouldn't be able to do. I want to have those options and a really true Spartan should have those capabilities, that is reality of the evolution of Halo.

I admit Halo 1, 2, and 3 were amazingly great games for their times. But fact is they were only that good 10 years ago. The world has evolved, you need to evolve and so does everyone else. We do it on a regular basis, and if you don't evolve than you are falling behind, and you can't perfect yourself. And that is some deep thinking and if you can't understand that then you have a long ways to go to understand reality and life.

Fact is sprint doesn't ruin the mechanics to Halo, it makes the game even better than before. But you have to open your mind to it, understand it. In other words use it to your advantage, do not use it to your disadvantage or else you will not like or enjoy the outcome. But that is all on you and the decisions that you make in the game, which now you have to understand more to be better at the game of Halo. And if you don't think more you will fall behind in skill and strategy compared to others.

Also the other thing that 343 has to think about, yeah Spartans or amazing beings, that can run and shoot at the same time, in the Halo universe, but in the game itself, in the arena, you can't have a Spartan sprinting at all times, cause one they don't run the entire time in combat, why cause sometimes you have to go slow in combat, its just the way it is. So that gives you time to think. So engaging into a sprint mode is a great idea, but than they have to tone it down as well, or else everyone will just sprint the entire time cause than its too overpowered. So that's why they make it to where you drop your gun down so that you can run, be ready for a charge or a clamber or anything else that a Spartan can do. Cause I promise you if I ran a Spartan at top speed all the time, I would be way to powerful, if I could shoot at the same time. You have to look for balance and reality in a great game. But now you still have to make the decisions to play smarter.

So there is true facts of reality and how things work in this world and the world of Halo, if its not how things work, please undermine me and prove me wrong, I dare you to try. So just cause you guys decide that you don't want sprint cause it makes you play better, that people can't out smart you with a Spartan, that's not you being better that is you being afraid of someone being better than you cause they can do more than you, cause they can out smart you.
GG, sprinting is still bad. The whole cannon thing is also the dumbest thing ever. gameplay > lore in the multiplayer. Kelly could run up to 75 mph at max speed, that's spartan speed.

Sprint slows down gameplay, artificially, reduces player health t(343 has lowered health to try to account for players escaping with sprint,yes they know) and increases map size.. Sprint lets people play better? Yes, for new players who are being babied by 343 who want to escape every encounter they fail.

This post is much disappoint. http://memecrunch.com/meme/2CI7W/such-disappoint/image.jpg?w=400&c=1
You do realize unreal tournament is a dead franchise right (and pretty much all those other franchises)? No one gave a -Yoink- about UTIII. Games do need to change but not so much that it becomes unrecognizable. 343 literally rearranged the bones in Halo's skeleton and destroyed all the clever subtlety that made Halo unique and great. Every match in Halo 5 is scrubs running around aimless doing stupid stuff just like CoD. There are no tactics, no real callouts.... but I digress this is not the place to make a list. This game is barely still an arena shooter. Bungie is probably happy that this has happened to halo so they can feel better about that garbage called Destiny that they released in september... but I digress again.

All the old Halo's are still great and have held up very well, especially 3.
Sprinting does let people play better, one I'm not a beginner, I'm one that has been here since Halo CE, I'm a big fan of Halo. And I have always been good in every Halo game. But Halo 5 feels natural, more realistic. Halo 5 makes me feel more like a supersoldier than any other Halo game out there, I can say that. I'm not saying its the best yet, but it does have the potential to be better than Halo 3 which was the best Halo, legitimately. And it's not aimlessly running around, I'm getting from point A to point B faster, than I am readying myself up by the time I get around a corner so that I can be the first one to shoot, and at least weaken my opponent. And those games are not dead, cause people wouldn't play them, they are dead because everyone moved on to something better. The time that Unreal Tournament started to die, was when Halo came into the picture.
GG, sprinting is still bad. The whole cannon thing is also the dumbest thing ever. gameplay > lore in the multiplayer. Kelly could run up to 75 mph at max speed, that's spartan speed.

Sprint slows down gameplay, artificially, reduces player health t(343 has lowered health to try to account for players escaping with sprint,yes they know) and increases map size.. Sprint lets people play better? Yes, for new players who are being babied by 343 who want to escape every encounter they fail.

This post is much disappoint. http://memecrunch.com/meme/2CI7W/such-disappoint/image.jpg?w=400&c=1
Sprint is bad in your opinion, and you still didn't disprove anything the OP was talking about. Why are some of the community so fearful of sprint and it's uses? It's in the Halo universe and here to stay. I would think these "great veteran" Halo players could use sprint as another tool in the toolkit to kill their enemies on the battlefield.

If people are so great on here why aren't they with the pros making money? Apparently some are really not as great as they say, and the real professionals can adapt and move on. If you fail to adapt you fall behind.

Anyways just my thoughts/opinions. GL Halo players.
So a guy sent me an email trying to say how bad sprinting is for Halo, well here is a nice big response I sent back. I will be nice and not share who sent this to me but he didn't like the outcome of the reality of things I can tell you that. So here it is:

Actually you said one big thing, and than you ran away scared to debate this topic cause you don't ever have any truth behind your opinions, that is your own fault sir. 2nd you're acting like your in a cult, passing on this so called knowledge of a torch. Dumbest thing I've heard, you do realize a cult is a group of people who believe in one thing, yet follow a leader or a group of people, because they can't think for themselves and they want to try and be something better from what they are not. Fact is you can't truly think for yourself and come up with actual fact, you still just have a hypothesis and an opinion, that is distorted with reality, and looking at the whole picture, the bigger picture.

Lets take a look at arena shooter games. Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 arena, Duke Nukem, Conkers Bad fur Day, 007 Goldeneye and other 007 games, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark. And the list goes on, but what makes these games arena gameplay? You have a match that everyone starts out on an even playing field, no custom loadouts, same guns, same abilities, some are aggressive play, while others can be slow played. There are weapons that spawn on maps, that if you are good enough to get there first and or kill guys to get there you get a good weapon to use on your opponents. Each game has their own unique ways of moving around a map or defeating your opponent, but its still on the same playing field.

Take a look at Unreal Tournament, you have a translocater to teleport yourself around a map, you can get a grapple and a hoverboard in later games to move around quicker. You have a dodge ability which is like a big side step to out strafe opponents, much as Halo 5's thruster. You have tons of weapons all with their pros and cons but yet they can all still be used very effectively to be used against your opponent, you just have to make the decision in how to use them. All of this comes down to effective arena gameplay.

Than look at 343 and the reality of the Halo universe, Spartans are suppose to be fast and efficient, very accurate as well, why cause they are supersoldiers. And I want to feel like a supersoldier, not like a slow walking incapable machine of doing things effectively. So I have to be able to get in and out of places fast and efficiently. You should be able to traverse areas of a map, and do things normal people shouldn't be able to do. I want to have those options and a really true Spartan should have those capabilities, that is reality of the evolution of Halo.

I admit Halo 1, 2, and 3 were amazingly great games for their times. But fact is they were only that good 10 years ago. The world has evolved, you need to evolve and so does everyone else. We do it on a regular basis, and if you don't evolve than you are falling behind, and you can't perfect yourself. And that is some deep thinking and if you can't understand that then you have a long ways to go to understand reality and life.

Fact is sprint doesn't ruin the mechanics to Halo, it makes the game even better than before. But you have to open your mind to it, understand it. In other words use it to your advantage, do not use it to your disadvantage or else you will not like or enjoy the outcome. But that is all on you and the decisions that you make in the game, which now you have to understand more to be better at the game of Halo. And if you don't think more you will fall behind in skill and strategy compared to others.

Also the other thing that 343 has to think about, yeah Spartans or amazing beings, that can run and shoot at the same time, in the Halo universe, but in the game itself, in the arena, you can't have a Spartan sprinting at all times, cause one they don't run the entire time in combat, why cause sometimes you have to go slow in combat, its just the way it is. So that gives you time to think. So engaging into a sprint mode is a great idea, but than they have to tone it down as well, or else everyone will just sprint the entire time cause than its too overpowered. So that's why they make it to where you drop your gun down so that you can run, be ready for a charge or a clamber or anything else that a Spartan can do. Cause I promise you if I ran a Spartan at top speed all the time, I would be way to powerful, if I could shoot at the same time. You have to look for balance and reality in a great game. But now you still have to make the decisions to play smarter.

So there is true facts of reality and how things work in this world and the world of Halo, if its not how things work, please undermine me and prove me wrong, I dare you to try. So just cause you guys decide that you don't want sprint cause it makes you play better, that people can't out smart you with a Spartan, that's not you being better that is you being afraid of someone being better than you cause they can do more than you, cause they can out smart you.
The thing is Halo 5 is no arena shooter. Arena-shooter characterize itself with things like no reload times, always the same weapon-mechanics(no different spread due to smart-scope) no automatic regeneration and so on.
Regarding your last statement: it's a game. If you play bad, have no team-play and can't hit anyone with a weapon then you simply deserve to die. However, with sprint you can just run away. I see the main problem in the maps though. In Empire nearly everyone could just run away to avoid death.
Theres not one thing in Halo 5 that compares to Halo 3 on a tactical and strategic level. Say team slayer on the pit. callouts for every location of the map, and plenty of little tricks that separate the novice from the vet, such as jumping on the yellow things on the walls to have height advantage on an opponent coming around the corner. Slits in various cover that actually allow you to fire through giving you an advantage (which is a double edge sword because there are slits on the bottom which allow nade and rocket explosions to diffuse through the cover which may kill you). Or take Narrows team slayer and locking down the map literally dictating where the other team will spawn (which is most effective in snipers and swat allowing you to spawn kill with headshots) and boy is map control like that hard to pull off.

The subtlety is gone from halo, 343 ruined all the staples of halo gameplay. Halo 5 is just nonsense. Most of you people (not all) who like halo 5 are casuals. even if you played all of them you probably didnt play them that much. A year after Halo 5's release the servers will be a ghost town because all of you will have moved on to the next garbage CoD and the likely awful Destiny 2, which is supposed to be out in 2016.

Sprint is bad in your opinion, and you still didn't disprove anything the OP was talking about. Why are some of the community so fearful of sprint and it's uses? It's in the Halo universe and here to stay. I would think these "great veteran" Halo players could use sprint as another tool in the toolkit to kill their enemies on the battlefield.

If people are so great on here why aren't they with the pros making money? Apparently some are really not as great as they say, and the real professionals can adapt and move on. If you fail to adapt you fall behind.

I am not great veteran, in fact I joined halo online mp in reach. Sprint is still horrible.

No, it is not my opinion, sprint causes halo to play completely different. Why are you so fearful sprint will be removed? Sprint is a tool used for escape, not killing. Just increase base movement speed.

The adapt argument is bad. For example, People can live in a warm environment but then they are forced into a cold one. They can adapt, that does not mean they like it.

The thing is Halo 5 is no arena shooter. Arena-shooter characterize itself with things like no reload times, always the same weapon-mechanics(no different spread due to smart-scope) no automatic regeneration and so on. I could continue though, but I will stop now, Sir.
No as I stated in my response at the beginning, is that an arena shooter is a shooter game that everyone starts on the same playing field as one another. That its you're own individual skill and smarts that actually out plays an opponent, that is an arena shooter. But its the difference of how your character is like in the arena. take a look at many of those arena games, you have to reload, you do regain shields or health by yourself or with the help of something else. So you are very far off on your opinion sir.
"All the examples iTz Mop Up Marv gave allow the player to shoot while moving. We are looking for innovative stuff like that in Halo. Ironically, all the examples he gave stay true to arena-FPS principles.
Running With Guns Down is the sprint mechanism being used in Halo 5 and it does not allow you to shoot while moving. It violates a core principle of arena gameplay. Its a copy and pasted mechanism from twitch-aim and spray shooters that are not arena-based."

From CO5MIC
"All the examples iTz Mop Up Marv gave allow the player to shoot while moving. We are looking for innovative stuff like that in Halo. Ironically, all the examples he gave stay true to arena-FPS principles.
Running With Guns Down is the sprint mechanism being used in Halo 5 and it does not allow you to shoot while moving. It violates a core principle of arena gameplay. Its a copy and pasted mechanism from twitch-aim and spray shooters that are not arena-based."

From CO5MIC
^^^This

Equal starts doesn't = Arena Gameplay
its way more complicated than that

The thing is Halo 5 is no arena shooter. Arena-shooter characterize itself with things like no reload times, always the same weapon-mechanics(no different spread due to smart-scope) no automatic regeneration and so on. I could continue though, but I will stop now, Sir.

No as I stated in my response at the beginning, is that an arena shooter is a shooter game that everyone starts on the same playing field as one another. That its you're own individual skill and smarts that actually out plays an opponent, that is an arena shooter. But its the difference of how your character is like in the arena. take a look at many of those arena games, you have to reload, you do regain shields or health by yourself or with the help of something else. So you are very far off on your opinion sir.
And your definition of an arena-shooter is simply wrong. Anyway, how can it be 'equal'? Female spartans have different hit-boxes, haven't they?

And your definition of an arena-shooter is simply wrong.
Ok sir, define an arena shooter, since I am so wrong apparently. But reasons are the core base gameplay of what an arena is, even level playing field and working your way to the top in an even match. Those are defined as arena.
Didn't bother reading your post but yeah we get it; your a huge fanboy of sprint & trying to sell it as the best halo feature to date. That's cool but...

Your Opionion

Your not going to convert others to be pro sprint just like you won't be converted to nay sprint, deal with it cuz frankly nothing you say will convince me or others your view & likewise myself or others should not expect the same of you.

And your definition of an arena-shooter is simply wrong. Anyway, how can it be 'equal'? Female spartans have different hit-boxes, haven't they?
No female Spartans do not have smaller hit boxes, that is just a theory that has already been proven, however if you are more precise in reality than they should have smaller hitboxes. But its the same is putting two people in a boxing ring, and yes a boxing ring is an arena in real life. both opponents has the same moves as the other one, yet it comes down to how effective are they are using the abilities to their advantages, or kickboxing or MMA
When will people realize that their pointless whining about how sprint is so evil have no effect? It's here to stay, and NOTHING you can say will make 343 remove it so deal with it.
Makk3vi wrote:
Didn't bother reading your post but yeah we get it; your a huge fanboy of sprint & trying to sell it as the best halo feature to date. That's cool but...

Your Opionion

Your not going to convert others to be pro sprint just like you won't be converted to nay sprint, deal with it cuz frankly nothing you say will convince me or others your view & likewise myself or others should not expect the same of you.
Nope I would be converted cause I have a very open mind, but no one has ever gave out good solid proof of why sprint is bad for Halo, all it is, is that I receive is hypothesis or opinions. In all of these that I bring to the table is a lot of fact, and proof, and yeah some of it my opinion but I do not say that those are facts. So way to jump in on a conversation you don't know anything about.

And your definition of an arena-shooter is simply wrong.

Ok sir, define an arena shooter, since I am so wrong apparently. But reasons are the core base gameplay of what an arena is, even level playing field and working your way to the top in an even match. Those are defined as arena.
There are just basic principles of arena shooter such as:

-all players start equal
-weapons are designed for special tactics. There is no best gun in the game, but for specific situations.
-no health regeneration. Therfore you fight for the power-ups on the map.
-constant motion
-there is no hiding on the maps

"Lore to justify gameplay mechanics."

"Halo needs to evolve to stay relevant!"

"It makes the game better but I'm not actually going actually explain why or how."

"Lore to justify gameplay mechanics." I don't see how, if everyone is a spartan "sprinting" the entire time, it would be overpowered in any logical way. Because that's essentially what Halo was founded on in the first place.

You haven't actually "said" anything that objectively makes sprint good for the game. You've parroted every cliché and overused argument I've seen for sprint and elongated it to make it somehow seem more justifiable. I give you props for taking the time to write this, but it hasn't really stated anything that hasn't already been said or disproved a thousand times.

Look I get it and I don't disagree with your opinion. There is something immersive that sprint offers and I'm not going to deny that. But whether or not it's good for the game is an entirely different story.

I am not great veteran, in fact I joined halo online mp in reach. Sprint is still horrible.

No, it is not my opinion, sprint causes halo to play completely different. Why are you so fearful sprint will be removed? Sprint is a tool used for escape, not killing. Just increase base movement speed.

The adapt argument is bad. For example, People can live in a warm environment but then they are forced into a cold one. They can adapt, that does not mean they like it.
It is an opinion though, you personally don't like that gameplay where as others do. I really don't care if it is removed or not, because it all boils down to campaign for me anyways. I don't have a say with developers on what stays and what doesn't, more power to you if you do!

"Forced" is really what you're going for, well that sucks now doesn't it, and some people probably don't mind the cold if not like it compared to the others. Anyways that is a digress away from OP.

For the record though I don't know why they wouldn't have seperate playlists for people who like sprint and don't like it. I'm fine with that too.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6