Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Am I the only one frustrated at the lack of PVE?

OP Deathlord Dave

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
While it has it's flaws, some minor and some egregious depending on who you ask, I still find myself largely enjoying the experience of Halo 5: Guardians. However, one of my large points of contention is the lack of non-campaign PVE-centric modes. While I am predominantly a PVE-lover, I do very much enjoy myself some competitive multiplayer slaughter. However, the extremely competitive-centric design philosophy behind Guardians has unfortunately damaged the broad appeal of the series established in all major installments after Halo 3, at least for me, of course what I am referring to is Firefight, and (love it or hate it) Spartan Ops. The great thing about the former broad appeal of the past couple installments was that there was an activity for almost any mood of play. If you wanted to go balls-to-the-wall competitive, you could do that. If after a long slew of intense victories or frustrating losses you wanted to sit back, relax, and horde it out against the AI in Firefight or Spartan Ops, you could do that. (and, while not pertinent to the topic of this post, custom games also satisfied a wide variety of playstyles, and still does, though definitely not as much as in the past *cough*Infection*cough*) The point of this long-winded, poorly structured ramble is more or less to ask if I am alone in these sentiments. How many of you out there in the community would also like to be able to wind down and fight the AI, rather than the near-totality of the Halo experience being what I've seen being commonly called "sweaty" matches? Also, to address those that will say to just play the campaign, at least for me, a linear-structured narrative-focused romp is not what I am always looking for. I thoroughly enjoy the open-ended skirmishes against the AI that Firefight provides, while using your own custom Spartan. Personally, I would enjoy a Firefight-type mode with some sort of objectives keeping the fighting mobile across multiple sections of a larger map. Also, not spawning enemies in huge numbers in immediate proximity to the player with instant-kill weaponry like fuel rods (looking at the poor design of Spartan Ops with that one...) I would like it to present challenging, but fair, fights against the AI. Anyway, my ramble here is concluded. What are your thoughts? Let me know.
One more thing I would like to address is that Warzone in no way functions in any capacity as a replacement for Firefight. It is thoroughly frenetic PVP action, with the occasional AI that more or less function as mobile objectives, or the couple of minor infantry here and there.
While it has it's flaws, some minor and some egregious depending on who you ask, I still find myself largely enjoying the experience of Halo 5: Guardians. However, one of my large points of contention is the lack of non-campaign PVE-centric modes. While I am predominantly a PVE-lover, I do very much enjoy myself some competitive multiplayer slaughter. However, the extremely competitive-centric design philosophy behind Guardians has unfortunately damaged the broad appeal of the series established in all major installments after Halo 3, at least for me, of course what I am referring to is Firefight, and (love it or hate it) Spartan Ops. The great thing about the former broad appeal of the past couple installments was that there was an activity for almost any mood of play. If you wanted to go balls-to-the-wall competitive, you could do that. If after a long slew of intense victories or frustrating losses you wanted to sit back, relax, and horde it out against the AI in Firefight or Spartan Ops, you could do that. (and, while not pertinent to the topic of this post, custom games also satisfied a wide variety of playstyles, and still does, though definitely not as much as in the past *cough*Infection*cough*) The point of this long-winded, poorly structured ramble is more or less to ask if I am alone in these sentiments. How many of you out there in the community would also like to be able to wind down and fight the AI, rather than the near-totality of the Halo experience being what I've seen being commonly called "sweaty" matches? Also, to address those that will say to just play the campaign, at least for me, a linear-structured narrative-focused romp is not what I am always looking for. I thoroughly enjoy the open-ended skirmishes against the AI that Firefight provides, while using your own custom Spartan. Personally, I would enjoy a Firefight-type mode with some sort of objectives keeping the fighting mobile across multiple sections of a larger map. Also, not spawning enemies in huge numbers in immediate proximity to the player with instant-kill weaponry like fuel rods (looking at the poor design of Spartan Ops with that one...) I would like it to present challenging, but fair, fights against the AI. Anyway, my ramble here is concluded. What are your thoughts? Let me know.
Im with you guy, the lack of pve is making this game overwhelming, when I'm stressed of playing 1 or 2 hours of competitive playlist in a row, I would love to play some Firefight (yes FIREFIGHT, not spartan ops, that can burn in hell) and relax my mind, but I have to turn of my xbox because I cant handle more stressful competitiveness, competitive gaming isnt bad, but only having it makes the game imposible to keep playing hours
TLDR, but from topic title no your not and there is a HUGE 1000+ request post for Firefight/Warzone PVE floating around somewhere.
Trust me, your not alone. Game feels empty this being one of the biggest below Game types.
Firefight was one of the best ways to chill....warm up....practice your aiming whatever! I loved it!
Play the campaign if you want to fight ai.
OP, you definitely aren't alone in that regard. I keep waiting and hoping that 343i will eventually make some big announcement about the return of Firefight/Score Attack within Halo 5! The popularity of this feature in ODST and Reach can't be overstated, and they can potentially add new achievements along with this PVE mode.

Please bring back Firefight!
We need Firefight, Spartan Ops, or PvE Warzone.
343, here's a guide for how to introduce PVE in Halo 5 without much work:
1. Get the levels from the Single Player campaign and put REQ statitons in lieu of the weapons we find laying around in the map.
2. Remove dialogues and cutscenes and let us play with the characters we created for multiplayer.
3. Let it play like Warzone, increasing our REQ level for killing enemies and completing objectives.
4. Give us XP and REQ points for completing a level. More points for completing fun objectives, like completing Evacuation in less than 18 minutes.
JCrysis86 wrote:
Firefight was one of the best ways to chill....warm up....practice your aiming whatever! I loved it!
I agree with you. I really miss FF. Even tho you still have to be on your toes, you don't have the stress of having to do well because you're on a team and they depend on your input to win.
I'm frustrated with the Lack of Pie
I'm surprised that a PvE mode was omitted from Halo 5 given how popular PvE has become recently.

I'm with you OP. Bring back firefight or a new and improved SOps.
I'm sure you're not alone, but PVE warzone sounds dreadfully boring.
Nah.
Pve is my main. Halo always had games and customs for just about any kind of gamer. Alot of communities were built because of that. I am so surprised about how many of the halo communities 343 alienated with the lack of gametypes, gamemodes and customized options. For me, a dodgey narrative, linear campaign, and no dedicated co-op pve mode definitely left me hangin. I hope that 343 responds soon to all the threads out there asking for some type of warzone firefight. All the reqs ive been storing up are riding on it.
Campaign was boring
I'm not. Mostly because it was boring. One level, nothing to do there but kill,kill,kill. Woo hoo.
Honestly CoD Zombies is beautiful. It's fun, challenging, it gives you little missions to do. Basic PvE like in Halo ODST and Reach is not even close to on par with that.
I think my dream is a cross between Halo and Diablo 3. You play though the campaign levels and you get champion and rare enemies that may give you better weapons to then go though the campaign faster and on ever increasing difficulties.

If you wish, you can search for other players to play with. Maybe add a few building areas that spawn additional enemies.

Ahhh a man can dream... a man can dream.
Ur not alone, buddy. I just want some Firefight- Warzone in my life ya know
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2