Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Amazing Halo Blog: Perfect H5 Preparation

OP TrueBlueHero

Probably I've simply missed something that is already pretty well known in the community... but for those like me who've never heard about it:
I highly recommend you to check out Haruspis Halo wordpress Blog!

Haruspis loves to dig into all story/lore aspects of the games - especially into everything Forerunner related.

Some of his analyses address the potential future of the Halo universe as a whole - but even for people who've read all or most of the books there are some awesome refreshers, summaries or things you've simply missed.

One series of articles really changed my perception of a whole game - Halo 4. I already thought that the storytelling in the game was great but Haruspis analyses every single mission story-wise including detailed explanations (background infos), exploration of the themes/characterisation and the composition of the pictures in video sequences (use of light, distance of characters, colors) - which blew my mind!
It's a lot to read but it's so worth it as it transformed my already pretty good understanding into something even better.
Here is a link to a list of all level-by-level articles - start reading from the bottom up.

But there are so many other gems hidden in that Blog - I learned that Bungie had a completely different plan with the Flood in the beginning, that Cortana's rampancy had a lot of emotional impact on Josh Holmes (Alzheimer in his family), that 343i is a master in interweaving all kinds of small lore infos (even things that came up in H3 ARGs) and much much more.

You love Halo? You can't get enough of (story-related) Halo infos?
Get yourself a cup of coffee and start reading that Blog!

That all sounds like a shameless advertisment - but that Blog gave my so much joy it's only fair that I try to give something back and make as many people aware as possible!

"Get yourself a glass of coffee" and start reading that Blog!

I prefer a cup of coffee and not a glass.

Thats just me though.

Thats just me though.
what? Don't like that searing hot feel?

Thats just me though.
Sry, English isn't my native language :D Not that I don't know it's called a cup of coffee...

But my lacking English skills arn't the topic of this thread right?
Probably I've simply missed something that is already pretty well known in the community... but for those like me who've never heard about it:
I highly recommend you to check out Haruspis Halo wordpress Blog!

Haruspis loves to dig into all story/lore aspects of the games - especially into everything Forerunner related.

Some of his analyses address the potential future of the Halo universe as a whole - but even for people who've read all or most of the books there are some awesome refreshers, summaries or things you've simply missed.

One series of articles really changed my perception of a whole game - Halo 4. I already thought that the storytelling in the game was great but Haruspis analyses every single mission story-wise including detailed explanations (background infos), exploration of the themes/characterisation and the composition of the pictures in video sequences (use of light, distance of characters, colors) - which blew my mind!
It's a lot to read but it's so worth it as it transformed my already pretty good understanding into something even better.
Here is a link to a list of all level-by-level articles - start reading from the bottom up.

But there are so many other gems hidden in that Blog - I learned that Bungie had a completely different plan with the Flood in the beginning, that Cortana's rampancy had a lot of emotional impact on Josh Holmes (Alzheimer in his family), that 343i is a master in interweaving all kinds of small lore infos (even things that came up in H3 ARGs) and much much more.

Get yourself a cub of coffee and start reading that Blog! <------------------------------------------------------HAHAHHAHAHHAHA!!!!

That alls sounds like a shameless advertisment - but that Blog gave my so much joy it's only fair that I try to give something back and make as many people aware as possible!
Yeah i want a "cub" of coffee!!!!!!!
Yeah i want a "cub" of coffee!!!!!!!
Seriously man if you think it's funny to make fun of a person who doesn't speak a language natively (in this case it's just a typo) I don't know what to say. If you speak German as good as I speak English let's talk again.

But again - it's not the topic of this thread, if you don't want to contribute just don't post in this thread at all.
Ok I am sorry.

You can win!! :)
I'll give it a try. Lets see if it can make me appreciate the Halo 4 story more, because I think it wasn't as good as the previous ones.

By the sounds of it, it is probably a great site with a dedicated author.
I'll give it a try. Lets see if it can make me appreciate the Halo 4 story more, because I think it wasn't as good as the previous ones.

Do it. It's an interesting read regardless.

Please post in this thread and share your experience with us afterwards!

Yeah, it is quite a good read. Thanks for sharing this website. :D

Yeah, it is quite a good read. Thanks for sharing this website. :D
Great to hear - hope you think a little better of H4 now too!
wow what a read man now I really am looking forward to the involvement of the guardians and the domain in halo 5 's story its almost here nearly a month left and 9 days
wow what a read man now I really am looking forward to the involvement of the guardians and the domain in halo 5 's story its almost here nearly a month left and 9 days
I'm restless man :D
Can't get enough Halo infos at the moment... that's how Cortana must feel... give me more data!!

Personally I can't wait to find out how Cortanas death affects Chief... their relationship and sad good-bye was my favorite part of H4 - that personal core was the soul of the game that made all that big sci-fi events matter.
Thanks for the heads up OP. I will have a read through that for sure, I need more info on all this Forerunner / Precursor stuff that keeps getting mentioned especially since I have not read the forerunner trilogy.
SuperZihni wrote:
Thanks for the heads up OP. I will have a read through that for sure, I need more info on all this Forerunner / Precursor stuff that keeps getting mentioned especially since I have not read the forerunner trilogy.
You should find a lot of good info regarding that... although I'm afraid it might be a little overwhelming if you're not familiar with some of the names / characters.

Consult a wiki if you're confused.

Or ask me if you've got any questions.
So I read through a few, and my goodness is my head spinning. That's spectacular.

This one in particular, regarding the Librarian and her role in the Reclamation, was particularly awesome. Great seeing the seeds Bungie sowed, and how 343 is now harvesting them into an incredible story. I have a greater appreciation for why she placed the Didact in his Cryptum, and why that plan didn't work.
Made a similar thread a few months back... totally vibe with the sentiment, haruspis is AMAZING!!! I've been reading this sort of stuff for years, so if you wanna go REALLY far back, check out Ascendant Justice's blog. Their stuff goes up to somewhere around the release of ODST so it's pretty old at this point, but they were writing similar articles throughout the Bungie era. Halo Archive is another current site that gets updated fairly frequently... it boggles my mind that people do this stuff, but I absolutely LOVE that they do! Shows how superbly fantastic this part of the community is. CHEERS!!! :D
I sure wish all the halo community was like this I love the franchise and the fantastic stories it brings in the lore and its amazing how massively 343 has explored the lore and I say this is one of their best strengths which is the storytelling im very excited for the halo 5 campaign
So I read through a few, and my goodness is my head spinning. That's spectacular.

This one in particular, regarding the Librarian and her role in the Reclamation, was particularly awesome. Great seeing the seeds Bungie sowed, and how 343 is now harvesting them into an incredible story. I have a greater appreciation for why she placed the Didact in his Cryptum, and why that plan didn't work.
Yeah I loved that too... his theory that Mendicant Bias tries to help with that plan of hers is quite interesting.
If you read the H4 level-by-level analyses Didact's changing attitude towards Chief is fascinating too. From tossing him aside like a vermin to his later admiration (I missed that detail of him waiting until Chief turns around out of respect) - it's not like I didn't notice that while playing the game, it's just that a lot of the finer points get lost if there are a couple of hours (and missions) between certain actions / spoken lines.

Also the article about the Domain and the Mantle is great as well.
I understand these concepts even better now too.
Dude thank you so much for providing this, just more stuff to read over before H5 comes out. I have been proactively reading all materials Halo related that is canon of course and this just is more icing.