Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Anyone else just not understand Halo 5 multiplayer

OP p1ay4OURFUN

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I swear, I’ve been playing Halo for a decade now, able to play CE-2A competently enough to consider myself good and strive to become competitive at Halo.

But for whatever reason, in the past 5 years H5 has been around, I still cannot for the love of the game, play it consistently well or decently at all. I hop into BTB or any other slayer (with shields) gametype and I get my butt utterly handed to me on a silver platter like a Thorn Beast given as a feast for Brutes.

The only gametype I play well in H5 is SWAT, which is my favorite game type in Halo overall, but I mean I’d like to have fun in BTB and any other slayer type when I don’t feel like playing SWAT.

I’ve watched Proximity, Stress, Aozolai, etc. for tips and tricks to play Halo 5 (and I still do), but I mean, it’s not like I don’t know how to play a Halo game. For whatever reason, I can’t apply the same skills and strategies in H5 as I do in every other game:

-I’ve got pretty consistent aim across the board, but for me, aiming is so inconsistent in H5 because of the lower aim assist.

-The BR is such a pain because of the reticle recoil and low bullet magnetism, so I guess so much for Halo’s utility weapon being useful in engagements (I miss the original H5 beta BR).

-Original forge maps in H5 BTB to me are nothing but clusterclucks of forge pieces with such a confusing layout; and don’t even get me started on the spawning, where I die 35% of the time in such unnecessary ways (tbf, Halo’s emphasis on spawn control is the one thing I dislike in its Arena design, but H5 imo has the worst spawns. I even think CE has more balanced spawns than Guardians).

-Enemy engagements are so sporadic and seemingly ADHD induced. One moment I’m hiding behind cover waiting for my shields to recharge (as you do in Halo), and the next moment I’ve got three dudes on three sides of me despite the fact that I’ve got four teammates around all zeroing in on me. Or, how about the fact that because thrusters, hovering, and clamber are a thing, I’ve got people coming at me from all conceivably weird angles and heights. Or better yet, trying to navigate around teammates is can be such a pain because everyone is GO GO GO and acts like they’re not getting paid by the hour. Next time when you’re driving a Ghost, PLEASE pay attention to who is in front of you.

-The radar has such a limited range it’s practically useless to me. I’m unaware of an enemy’s position 10 feet away from me, contrary to earlier games. You’d think that with advanced mobility, the radar would be extended or at the very least, be exactly the same as H4’s radar, which is honestly already quite generous.

-It seems as though shields are made of paper, but that may just be me. Besides, while I can appreciate the attempted balancing of Sprint, the fact that I always have to legitimately strategize to make camp for them to recharge just ruins the pacing and what little rhythm Halo 5’s slayer has.

-Lastly, people have claimed the bullet magnetism is off the rails, and I’d like to respectfully disagree. When any part of the reticle of my BR, pistol, DMR, Carbine, or any other precision weapon is on someone’s head, it should connect as a headshot. But nope! Nah, apparently I shot their shoulder! Or chin! Because every weapon (especially the BR) wants to act like the pin point sniper rifle with a tiny circle for a reticle! Nevermind that any previous entry has a consistent bullet magnetism and aim assist for every weapon, but H5 seems to customize it for every individual weapon. Evidence being that the sniper analogy I made earlier doesn’t apply to H5’s own sniper rifle because its magnetism IS off the charts when it’s not for the BR and company.

Thankfully, I don’t experience many of these frustrating mechanical challenges in SWAT since it doesn’t have shields, grenades, power weapons, vehicles, etc. So I do still enjoy it, and have gotten good enough at it in H5 to consistently rank Diamond 4, and have even reached Onyx for a season.

But still. I don’t think I’ve ever ranted this much about Halo 5. I’ve held off from commenting on it for so long online, but I always find myself beating myself against the wall playing this game. Tonight’s session was so infuriating, as I was binging MCC and its games for an hour, having a blast, and decided to give H5 yet another go. I’ll probably keep doing this, (as I’ve done for the past three years 😑), because I’m going to get good at H5 if it’s the last thing I do.

But dang. If God can hear how frustrated I get with Guardians, so can everyone else.

I miss the beta :(
It's not just you. The aiming mechanics are 100% broken in this game. Auto aim and sticky reticule decrease as shields decay, and then dramatically fall off after shields are popped. On top of this your level # of reqs you've unlocked cause your character to develop hevay aim due to how the game engine loads your character information. It's actually a travesty how bad they butchered the aiming mechanics In H5.

Also, it's not a Halo game mechanically anymore, it's a squad shooter with arena roots. Deciding between moving and shooting, and the hyper mobility of the suit, it fundamentally changes how the game plays on a base level.

I make maps for this game that are more akin to something you'd see in counter strike or call of duty and that linear design seems to work very well to make the game more predictable and feel better as a game. It won't feel Halo, but it feels better then base h5 maps imo. Contact me if you'd like to get in some custom games.
nah i think that halo ce is the worst for spawns, but, i agree with you, playing halo 5 is like playing a game that is totally differents than the others in this game, sometimes you're good and sometimes you're bad like when you start playing the game again after a while, sometimes players do somethings that you never understang how and, the worst thing is when a player of the enemy team on a high spot, start shooting at you and you without even understand why, there is also the feeling when you are looking for enemies to kill, you find one,you're trying to kill him but everytime there's another enemy that kill you from behind... I've been playing halo 5 from 2 years now and i'm still not a good player. it's hard.
dude im the exact same but opposite for Halo 5 i can rack up an easy 20-25 kills but on any other game my best is normally 8
Seams fine for me
nah i think that halo ce is the worst for spawns, but, i agree with you, playing halo 5 is like playing a game that is totally differents than the others in this game, sometimes you're good and sometimes you're bad like when you start playing the game again after a while, sometimes players do somethings that you never understang how and, the worst thing is when a player of the enemy team on a high spot, start shooting at you and you without even understand why, there is also the feeling when you are looking for enemies to kill, you find one,you're trying to kill him but everytime there's another enemy that kill you from behind... I've been playing halo 5 from 2 years now and i'm still not a good player. it's hard.
That's a good way of promptly putting it. It's as if the walls shoot you sometimes, and you're sitting their scratching your head and asking "who or what killed me?" Going from full shields to re-spawn in the blink of an eye from anything else but a sniper or rocket, with no enemy around you, can be really frustrating. Like, how in the world am I supposed to learn from that experience? I know theater is available, and that it's a very useful tool to use to learn from mistakes and map layout, but I've always had the stubborn stance that it shouldn't be necessary to use. Perhaps I really should start using it, but still. I know it's not going to magically fix all of my problems.
dude im the exact same but opposite for Halo 5 i can rack up an easy 20-25 kills but on any other game my best is normally 8
That's interesting. Was Halo 5 your first Halo game?
All Halo games play differently. You have to learn what works for each game. H5 is primarily all about the pistol. Other weapons have their place but primarily the pistol should be the go too. H5 plays at a bit faster pace with all the "abilities". My main complaint about H5 when it comes to multiplayer is the maps. The majority of the maps are just terrible. Way to many remixes and just about all of them way to small. They made the Spartans move faster and more agile but then made most of the maps small. H5 does seem to have a bit higher learning curve. H5 was the first game where I really had to play with and fine tune the aim and movement settings. H5 just does take longer to get used too.
LethalQ wrote:
All Halo games play differently. You have to learn what works for each game. H5 is primarily all about the pistol. Other weapons have their place but primarily the pistol should be the go too. H5 plays at a bit faster pace with all the "abilities". My main complaint about H5 when it comes to multiplayer is the maps. The majority of the maps are just terrible. Way to many remixes and just about all of them way to small. They made the Spartans move faster and more agile but then made most of the maps small. H5 does seem to have a bit higher learning curve. H5 was the first game where I really had to play with and fine tune the aim and movement settings. H5 just does take longer to get used too.
Yes, but you’d think that after three+ years I’d understand how to play it properly, especially considering the decade+ worth of Halo experience in general under my belt.

This post has been hidden.

I swear, I’ve been playing Halo for a decade now, able to play CE-2A competently enough to consider myself good and strive to become competitive at Halo.

But for whatever reason, in the past 5 years H5 has been around, I still cannot for the love of the game, play it consistently well or decently at all. I hop into BTB or any other slayer (with shields) gametype and I get my butt utterly handed to me on a silver platter like a Thorn Beast given as a feast for Brutes.

The only gametype I play well in H5 is SWAT, which is my favorite game type in Halo overall, but I mean I’d like to have fun in BTB and any other slayer type when I don’t feel like playing SWAT.

I’ve watched Proximity, Stress, Aozolai, etc. for tips and tricks to play Halo 5 (and I still do), but I mean, it’s not like I don’t know how to play a Halo game. For whatever reason, I can’t apply the same skills and strategies in H5 as I do in every other game:

-I’ve got pretty consistent aim across the board, but for me, aiming is so inconsistent in H5 because of the lower aim assist.

-The BR is such a pain because of the reticle recoil and low bullet magnetism, so I guess so much for Halo’s utility weapon being useful in engagements (I miss the original H5 beta BR).

-Original forge maps in H5 BTB to me are nothing but clusterclucks of forge pieces with such a confusing layout; and don’t even get me started on the spawning, where I die 35% of the time in such unnecessary ways (tbf, Halo’s emphasis on spawn control is the one thing I dislike in its Arena design, but H5 imo has the worst spawns. I even think CE has more balanced spawns than Guardians).

-Enemy engagements are so sporadic and seemingly ADHD induced. One moment I’m hiding behind cover waiting for my shields to recharge (as you do in Halo), and the next moment I’ve got three dudes on three sides of me despite the fact that I’ve got four teammates around all zeroing in on me. Or, how about the fact that because thrusters, hovering, and clamber are a thing, I’ve got people coming at me from all conceivably weird angles and heights. Or better yet, trying to navigate around teammates is can be such a pain because everyone is GO GO GO and acts like they’re not getting paid by the hour. Next time when you’re driving a Ghost, PLEASE pay attention to who is in front of you.

-The radar has such a limited range it’s practically useless to me. I’m unaware of an enemy’s position 10 feet away from me, contrary to earlier games. You’d think that with advanced mobility, the radar would be extended or at the very least, be exactly the same as H4’s radar, which is honestly already quite generous.

-It seems as though shields are made of paper, but that may just be me. Besides, while I can appreciate the attempted balancing of Sprint, the fact that I always have to legitimately strategize to make camp for them to recharge just ruins the pacing and what little rhythm Halo 5’s slayer has.

-Lastly, people have claimed the bullet magnetism is off the rails, and I’d like to respectfully disagree. When any part of the reticle of my BR, pistol, DMR, Carbine, or any other precision weapon is on someone’s head, it should connect as a headshot. But nope! Nah, apparently I shot their shoulder! Or chin! Because every weapon (especially the BR) wants to act like the pin point sniper rifle with a tiny circle for a reticle! Nevermind that any previous entry has a consistent bullet magnetism and aim assist for every weapon, but H5 seems to customize it for every individual weapon. Evidence being that the sniper analogy I made earlier doesn’t apply to H5’s own sniper rifle because its magnetism IS off the charts when it’s not for the BR and company.

Thankfully, I don’t experience many of these frustrating mechanical challenges in SWAT since it doesn’t have shields, grenades, power weapons, vehicles, etc. So I do still enjoy it, and have gotten good enough at it in H5 to consistently rank Diamond 4, and have even reached Onyx for a season.

But still. I don’t think I’ve ever ranted this much about Halo 5. I’ve held off from commenting on it for so long online, but I always find myself beating myself against the wall playing this game. Tonight’s session was so infuriating, as I was binging MCC and its games for an hour, having a blast, and decided to give H5 yet another go. I’ll probably keep doing this, (as I’ve done for the past three years 😑), because I’m going to get good at H5 if it’s the last thing I do.

But dang. If God can hear how frustrated I get with Guardians, so can everyone else.

I completely agree with you.
Distance from the server is a massive advantage in halo 5. The ability to boost and dodge bullets combined with poor aim mechanics that get worse depending on the connection can make the game really bad for some. I live in the North West and there is one server on the west coast in southern cali. Like 2000 miles away. That's the closest one to me. When the game is on that server I destroy. When it's east coast I literally have to campb I know my bullets won't register as well. When I lived in southern cali honest the game felt unfair. Felt like nobody could kill me and I'd drop 8-10 perfect kills every game if it was on Cali server. I've been able to rank champion basically every season but never was able to absolutely annihilate people like I did when I lived close to the server. Unfortunately thats just how this game is. I don't know why the connection affects the aim assist and bullet magnetism but it does. Luckily I have great aim from playing Halo forever that I can still manage kills even on the far away servers but the game definitely feels laggier and shots don't register when you play on a server hosted further away.
That's interesting. Was Halo 5 your first Halo game?
no my first was halo reach so I guess I did start where the advanced mobilty started to come in
man, try to reach onyx in team arena without a team then read your message again, it s easy at the start make a lot of kills,then the hidden secret mmr number raise up and the game become hard

Couldn't have put it better myself...The constant, needless weapon tuning was the worst in my opinion.

Took the words right out of my mouth, I could never get into Halo 5 and dropped it fairly early on. It's not a bad game, but it doesn't feel anything like previous Halo games, as such I could never get into it since the shooters it emulates never appealed to me.
BadDogg55 wrote:

Couldn't have put it better myself...The constant, needless weapon tuning was the worst in my opinion.
I remember when people complained about the BR in Halo 5 at launch, saying it was too much like a laser gun and way too OP. I was like, "do you not remember the Halo 4 BR?" Or how about BXR spamming in Halo 2, something that has never been fixed and gives the Halo 2 BR such an OP edge. Besides, the base H2 and its H2A counterpart are already quite OP in my opinion because of how consistently accurate they are. But that's why I enjoy using them so much.

Since my post two days ago, I've been playing BTB practically nonstop. I've figured out that the DMR and pistol really offer greater chances of success than that stupidly inconsistent BR. "We wanted to raise the skill ceiling," says 343i. What, for masochists?
The aiming mechanics are 100% broken in this game. Auto aim and sticky reticule decrease as shields decay, and then dramatically fall off after shields are popped. On top of this your level # of reqs you've unlocked cause your character to develop heavy aim due to how the game engine loads your character information. It's actually a travesty how bad they butchered the aiming mechanics In H5.
Most people do not know this, I'm surprised to even see this posted.
Halo 5 aim system is seriously the worst from all the halo games.
Distance from the server is a massive advantage in halo 5.
This.

After reading this thread:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/the-cat-is-out-of-the-bag-on-halo-5-servers/a099c966-ba42-46e6-bb59-27aef4ea0df4/posts

I learned about server advantage and server locations, it was an eye opener.
It's definitely the advanced mobility mixed with low aim assist/broken aim mechanics as previously stated. I also get a lot of weird controller input lag for H5 that I don't get with other games.

Don't get me wrong I think Halo 5 multiplayer is brilliant, it's just mechanically broken in some regards that the previous games weren't.
This might might sound generic but the best I can give. Don’t treat it like an original Halo game. I had to do that in order to learn how to play the game
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2