Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Anyway to get free armor or req packs?

OP DriftyFoil9

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I’ve recently just gotten the Nightfall armor from the halo channel, and I was wondering if you can get any other things like reqs or armor from different games. Just like in halo 4/ Reach you could get free XP and armor, so I was wondering if I was missing anything else.
If you play the game you get points which are redeemable for req packs. It's pretty much free. You can also sign up for the Feedback program, that'll get you an emblem. Meeting certain benchmarks in MCC can get you a couple of armors (though one of those is notoriously tempramental about unlocking.) And you can get a req pack the first time you join a Spartan company. And if you really want to grind with your company Achilles awaits.
MCC:
Gen 1 Mark IV: Complete any mission on MCC to unlock
Gen 1 Mark IV Scarred: Complete Cairo Station on any difficulty
Helioskrill: Complete all campaigns of MCC on Legendary. Look up the Reddit post on the guide on how to get Helioskrill optimally.

Classic Helmet Pack: If you've got 10 dollars to burn on some tasteless evening wear, go ahead

Achilles: Join a Spartan Company, and waste about a year of your life in the awful Warzone gamemode to get this overrated set!

The REQ system was designed to infuriate players enough that they'd slam more and more money into the game so that they can "earn" armor.
So obviously, there are few armors you can earn outside of the lootbox rubbish. What little you can... You should probably go get.

Side note, we're in the HWC season right now, and they're giving out Platinum and Gold packs like candy. Go get those for more armor.
As for what the Monitor said, you need 5 or more members in said company to be eligible for the free pack.

Yet another side note:
As pointed out by another user, Helioskrill and Gen 1 Mark IV (Base) are both now in the REQ pool.
Doesn't matter much to me. My Helioskrill is legitimate.
Delta5931 wrote:
MCC:
Helioskrill: Complete all campaigns of MCC on Legendary. Look up the Reddit post on the guide on how to get Helioskrill optimally.

Classic Helmet Pack: If you've got 10 dollars to burn on some tasteless evening wear, go ahead

Achilles: Join a Spartan Company, and waste about a year of your life in the awful Warzone gamemode to get this overrated set!

The REQ system was designed to infuriate players enough that they'd slam more and more money into the game so that they can "earn" armor.
So obviously, there are few armors you can earn outside of the lootbox rubbish. What little you can... You should probably go get.

Side note, we're in the HWC season right now, and they're giving out Platinum and Gold packs like candy. Go get those for more armor.
As for what the Monitor said, you need 5 or more members in said company to be eligible for the free pack.
Helioskrill isn't a Legendary Completion only reward. I got both the Helioskrill armor sets just by opening enough REQ Packs.
I’ve recently just gotten the Nightfall armor from the halo channel, and I was wondering if you can get any other things like reqs or armor from different games. Just like in halo 4/ Reach you could get free XP and armor, so I was wondering if I was missing anything else.
You can unlock certain armors and emblems through playing. Like once you hit certain Ranks/Player Levels, you are rewarded with REQ Packs for hitting certain Levels or doing certain commendations. Some of them are pretty easy too. Otherwise, like 90% of the armor sets can be unlocked through REQ Packs. If you don't want to spend money of REQ Packs, you can just play games. You will be rewarded with points that you can then spend on REQ Packs.
A great way to get bonus req packs is from the HWC streams. They regularly give codes for gold and platinum packs which can be redeemed here. You don't even need to watch the streams because people usually make a thread for the codes, but keep in mind each code expires after about 15 minutes.
Delta5931 wrote:
MCC:

Helioskrill isn't a Legendary Completion only reward. I got both the Helioskrill armor sets just by opening enough REQ Packs.
Helioskrill made it into REQ Packs.
However, it you don't feel like gambling your life savings away, go play MCC
DoubleSama wrote:
A great way to get bonus req packs is from the HWC streams. They regularly give codes for gold and platinum packs which can be redeemed here. You don't even need to watch the streams because people usually make a thread for the codes, but keep in mind each code expires after about 15 minutes.
The thread for this has begun a day early to get ready. Make sure to follow it for all the free pack goodness!. Last weekend it was mostly Plat packs given out which I think is much, much better.
You could always convince someone to gift you a REQ pack or have your parents buy you REQ packs.

DaxSeven09 wrote:
The thread for this has begun a day early to get ready. Make sure to follow it for all the free pack goodness!.
Probably won't be getting as much due to the really early starting times.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
You could always convince someone to gift you a REQ pack or have your parents buy you REQ packs.

DaxSeven09 wrote:
The thread for this has begun a day early to get ready. Make sure to follow it for all the free pack goodness!.
Maybe, but you never know. If memory serves right then you are correct. I believe the EU, and other non US streams gave out less codes. That's the beauty of it though you never know, and every little bit helps. Plus, in my opinion, watching these tournaments is fun.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Maybe, but you never know. If memory serves right then you are correct. I believe the EU, and other non US streams gave out less codes. That's the beauty of it though you never know, and every little bit helps. Plus, in my opinion, watching these tournaments is fun.
Not sure if I'm or you're misunderstanding, but I was referring to me not waking up early enough to get the codes that are given out. EU tourneys are usually on for a few hours by the time I start watching.
LUKEPOWA wrote:

DaxSeven09 wrote:
Yeah. Those start times are absolutely insane.
Not gonna get anything on Friday, but Saturday and Sunday are looking good.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Not sure if I'm or you're misunderstanding, but I was referring to me not waking up early enough to get the codes that are given out. EU tourneys are usually on for a few hours by the time I start watching.
I believe a little bit of both here. I didn't realize you were talking about the time difference, but that does make sense. I was referring to my experience from the last two tournaments regarding codes given out during the streams. Most importantly the last time the stream was in the EU there were very few codes given out compared to the US streams that's all.
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
MCC:

Or you can just play enough to get the REQ points and by them. I've done a little bit of both, I paid for some REQ packs and unlocked others with REQ points I earned. You don't have to spend your "life savings" for REQ packs they aren't that expensive. And people make it seem like you don't get anything from REQ packs. Basically every Gold REQ pack you open gives you two permanent unlocks (Armors, Helmets, Visors, Stances, Weapon/Vehicle REQs, etc.) until you've unlocked everything you can via REQ packs.
yeah man i need them Req Packs.
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
MCC:

Or you can just play enough to get the REQ points and by them. I've done a little bit of both, I paid for some REQ packs and unlocked others with REQ points I earned. You don't have to spend your "life savings" for REQ packs they aren't that expensive. And people make it seem like you don't get anything from REQ packs. Basically every Gold REQ pack you open gives you two permanent unlocks (Armors, Helmets, Visors, Stances, Weapon/Vehicle REQs, etc.) until you've unlocked everything you can via REQ packs.
The issue is the relative rarity of what you want. What you usually get is rubbish.
It took me two weeks of virtually consistent game time to get a new visor, and the two I ended up getting were a Recruit reskin and a green visor that shared the same issue with Recruit.

I got Seeker Horizon far before I got EVA. The REQ system is all sorts of screwy for the things you actually want. You're more likely to end up getting rubbish pack after rubbish pack than you getting something you want.
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
MCC:

The issue is the relative rarity of what you want. What you usually get is rubbish.
It took me two weeks of virtually consistent game time to get a new visor, and the two I ended up getting were a Recruit reskin and a green visor that shared the same issue with Recruit.

I got Seeker Horizon far before I got EVA. The REQ system is all sorts of screwy for the things you actually want. You're more likely to end up getting rubbish pack after rubbish pack than you getting something you want.
All the armor/visors/etc is just cosmetic and offer no benefits outside of "looking cool", so how could unlocking something you don't have that offers no added benefits from looks be rubbish? Okay, so yea, you didn't get the exact armor you want. But you still unlocked something you didn't have that is all cosmetic anyway.
I can understand if you were hoping for certain weapon/vehicle REQs for Warzone and you could get a bunch of low REQ weapons. But all the armor is cosmetic. That would be like saying high end clothing that costs a fortune is "rubbish" just because you don't like the brand.
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
MCC:

Also, if you are still trying to unlock things via REQ packs....a Gold pack will basically give you two items you didn't have unlocked before. So tell me how is it rubbish that you are getting two items you didn't have before? "Oh, I managed to get two items I didn't have....oh, but they weren't the exact things I wanted because it's mostly random." Oh boo hoo. Be glad you can still unlock things from REQ packs. I have unlocked everything in the main REQ packs so all I get are two 3,000 REQ Point cards instead of unlocks.
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
MCC:

All the armor/visors/etc is just cosmetic and offer no benefits outside of "looking cool", so how could unlocking something you don't have that offers no added benefits from looks be rubbish? Okay, so yea, you didn't get the exact armor you want. But you still unlocked something you didn't have that is all cosmetic anyway.
I can understand if you were hoping for certain weapon/vehicle REQs for Warzone and you could get a bunch of low REQ weapons. But all the armor is cosmetic. That would be like saying high end clothing that costs a fortune is "rubbish" just because you don't like the brand.
I play Forge Customs exclusively (now that my Gold sub is gone, and I'm not renewing that), and all REQs aside from armor and visors are useless to me, outside of their sell value.
Granted, weapon skins, assassinations, and stances do get some use from me, as well as Emblems, now that I can tweak that stuff with my copy of 5.

My issue is that armor can't be earned anymore for doing things. You could get 1/4 of the armor in the game for Halo 3 just by playing the campaign on various difficulties and doing achievements. You only get 60 GS for completing Halo 5 on Legendary. That's it.
If you want that sleek EVA set, too bad. Seeker for you. Want my Stalker set? Legionnaire, enjoy.
Quote:
Also, if you are still trying to unlock things via REQ packs....a Gold pack will basically give you two items you didn't have unlocked before. So tell me how is it rubbish that you are getting two items you didn't have before? "Oh, I managed to get two items I didn't have....oh, but they weren't the exact things I wanted because it's mostly random." Oh boo hoo. Be glad you can still unlock things from REQ packs. I have unlocked everything in the main REQ packs so all I get are two 3,000 REQ Point cards instead of unlocks.
A Gold Pack is also 10,000 RP that is incredibly hard for a player to get when all he does is grind out RP from Dailies. I use Silvers to get rid of all the commendations and all that so that I can eventually start getting things I really want.
Like Mythic armor and visors. I'm desperate for a Gold visor at this point.

Anyway, back to the OP:
Yes, there is armor you can earn in game. Some of it is in the REQ system, however. Not that it really matters. I also forgot to mention Timmy, which you get for playing 50 hours of Custom Games/Forge, and the Olive, which you get for having a map in rotation for Halo 5 (pretty exclusive, this one)
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
MCC:

I play Forge Customs exclusively (now that my Gold sub is gone, and I'm not renewing that), and all REQs aside from armor and visors are useless to me, outside of their sell value.
Granted, weapon skins, assassinations, and stances do get some use from me, as well as Emblems, now that I can tweak that stuff with my copy of 5.

My issue is that armor can't be earned anymore for doing things. You could get 1/4 of the armor in the game for Halo 3 just by playing the campaign on various difficulties and doing achievements. You only get 60 GS for completing Halo 5 on Legendary. That's it.
If you want that sleek EVA set, too bad. Seeker for you. Want my Stalker set? Legionnaire, enjoy.
Quote:
A Gold Pack is also 10,000 RP that is incredibly hard for a player to get when all he does is grind out RP from Dailies. I use Silvers to get rid of all the commendations and all that so that I can eventually start getting things I really want.
Like Mythic armor and visors. I'm desperate for a Gold visor at this point.

Anyway, back to the OP:
Yes, there is armor you can earn in game. Some of it is in the REQ system, however. Not that it really matters. I also forgot to mention Timmy, which you get for playing 50 hours of Custom Games/Forge, and the Olive, which you get for having a map in rotation for Halo 5 (pretty exclusive, this one)
Well, best of luck to you on that gold visor. I think I've mostly been using the Legendary one once I got it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3