Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Appreciating the Halo 5 Prometheans (to an extent)

OP mattrl117

I’ve been playing a little bit of Halo 4’s Spartan Ops, and omg, the Prometheans in that game are absolutely horrendous. I completely forgot how annoying they are to fight. Watchers with rechargeable shields, teleporting Knights that also have rechargeable shields, and Crawlers with binary rifles? Yuck. It really makes me appreciate how much effort went into redesigning the enemies in Halo 5. I love how the Knights are like Promethean Hunters, with weak spots and multiple opportunities for an instant takedown. Soldiers are bullet-spongey, sure, but they’re nowhere near as bad as Knights are in H4. Crawlers are, well, Crawlers. Watchers are a little more tolerable, but still annoying. I know Halo 5 is 5 years old, but it’s never too late to say thank you. So thanks 343, for not doubling down on the worse aspects of your robot menace and making them even more annoying. I have a feeling that if you improve on the good parts of Halo 5’s Prometheans, you’ll truly be able to get them right in Halo Infinite.
The H5 Knights have watchers on their backs like in H4 but never spawn them for some reason, so perhaps another thing to be grateful for?
M0hammed wrote:
The H5 Knights have watchers on their backs like in H4 but never spawn them for some reason, so perhaps another thing to be grateful for?
I swear I've seen watchers come out of knights at least a couple times in H5. I think it's pretty rare though and it only happens on the beefier knights.
sac396 wrote:
I swear I've seen watchers come out of knights at least a couple times in H5. I think it's pretty rare though and it only happens on the beefier knights.
Yeah, I’ve definitely seen it happen in Warzone Firefight a few times. You may be right about it only happening on the bulkier Knights—maybe it’s just the bosses and/or the Commanders (don’t think I’ve ever seen it happen on a Battlewagon)?
I will say enemy design in H5 was definitely far more improved than in H4, Covenant aren't as BS with their weapons and shields, and Prometheans have legitimate strats that actually work against them and are treated accordingly. I will say that's something H5 did over H4 is the AI design, I still think the AI are implemented rather lazily but in terms of taking them out, I approve of what the game did, giving multiple options to the player. I love when the game gives you multiple ways to deal with the enemies, like how when you stagger a knight by destroying it's weak spot, if it's a fairly lower ranked knight when they roar after you stagger them, their head mask will open up and you can shoot them in the face to insta-kill. Along with getting rid of the front shield of the grunt goblin and headshotting the grunt inside. It's the little things.
There is one thing I love about the Promethean Soldiers: their hilarious and witty dialogue.
Soilders shouldnt phase. lazy code.
I agree, but they’re much better than Halo 4’s Knights. You can actually see where they’re going.
mattrl117 wrote:
I agree, but they’re much better than Halo 4’s Knights. You can actually see where they’re going.
yeah until you are about to shoot ant incineration cannon or melee them and the game decides, no it would be more challenging if they phased behind you and instakilled you. Its so much more uninspired when you are about to smash a spawn with a ghost and all 3 soldiers phase away instantly before even being visible. its just lazy coding regardless what state halo 4 is in. Seriously they couldn't have given them thrust instead? So many more options they couldve taken when they knew teleporting was a bs implementation. Even letting us damage them during a phase would balance out what I mentioned.