Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Aren't these updates getting a bit ridiculous???

OP Ramrunner73

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
So my son bought Halo 5 Guardians a few days ago, and now he's in bitter tears.

WHY?

Because I said he could install it on the weekend. So he puts the disk in today, and it says to play he MUST download a 41Gb update. We only have 65Gb available for the next 5 days due to the wonderful Halo 5 Forge download earlier this month.

I reluctantly say yes and schedule my work downloads for next month instead, to try and leave my family with 4Gb per day which is about our daily consumption. We could perhaps just squeeze it in.

But the download starts and the update is apparently 91Gb!!!

So now we can't play it till another week or so when our quota resets. I ask him to cancel and I apologize, but he's inconsolable.

So just wanted to say thank you for what is fast becoming the most annoying console I've ever bought. Any time we buy a new game, it seems the update (which we MUST do apparently) is become simply way to unwieldy as to be almost useless to us.

This is absolutely STUPID. We BUY the disk so we DON'T have to download, yet the "update" is so many times bigger than the info actually on the initial disk installation.

When did this become so acceptable? I personally think it's time for these game companies to pull their finger out and stop this crap.

Sincerely,
disgruntled dad.
Then you should have gotten the game earlier.
Has to do with no compressing data and idk what else. I was very suprised to see XB1 games taking up much much more memory than the 360 did. I have a 3 TB har drive and I have 500GB left with say maybe 30 games. On the 360 I have a lot more and I still have half a hardrive to use.
You bought a disk variant, which requires the updates. If you had used a digital code it would have all the updates, but it would take quite a while to download. The digital code variant is always up to date, seeing as it downloads the game and any updates at the same time.
Dude, get some external storage space. That's what I did. I'm probably in a worse case scenario than you, because my console only had 500 GB from the start, so I really needed external space. I recommend the Seagate game drive, it adds room for like 50 more games.
So my son bought Halo 5 Guardians a few days ago, and now he's in bitter tears.

WHY?

Because I said he could install it on the weekend. So he puts the disk in today, and it says to play he MUST download a 41Gb update. We only have 65Gb available for the next 5 days due to the wonderful Halo 5 Forge download earlier this month.

I reluctantly say yes and schedule my work downloads for next month instead, to try and leave my family with 4Gb per day which is about our daily consumption. We could perhaps just squeeze it in.

But the download starts and the update is apparently 91Gb!!!

So now we can't play it till another week or so when our quota resets. I ask him to cancel and I apologize, but he's inconsolable.

So just wanted to say thank you for what is fast becoming the most annoying console I've ever bought. Any time we buy a new game, it seems the update (which we MUST do apparently) is become simply way to unwieldy as to be almost useless to us.

This is absolutely STUPID. We BUY the disk so we DON'T have to download, yet the "update" is so many times bigger than the info actually on the initial disk installation.

When did this become so acceptable? I personally think it's time for these game companies to pull their finger out and stop this crap.

Sincerely,
disgruntled dad.
Sorry to hear op. It is a great game. You are getting 7 updates rammed into one. I hope 343 sees your post and does a better job of disclosing the size of the downloadable content, so those with data limits can better manage their allotment. I recommend you also post this in the support section.
Not helpful at all.
Has to do with no compressing data and idk what else. I was very suprised to see XB1 games taking up much much more memory than the 360 did. I have a 3 TB har drive and I have 500GB left with say maybe 30 games. On the 360 I have a lot more and I still have half a hardrive to use.
New games are bigger because textures are much more detailed and sounds more complex. Amongst other things.
^The problem with turning to a forum for venting or getting advice. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back sir.
Yep it's their fault you have a data cap on your internet. H5 is a big game and most people don't have data caps on their internet.
Especially when the updates aren't actually fixing things either.
Quote:
You bought a disk variant, which requires the updates. If you had used a digital code it would have all the updates, but it would take quite a while to download. The digital code variant is always up to date, seeing as it downloads the game and any updates at the same time.
He would still have to download all the updates PLUS the game and still exceeding his data cap, actually even more than he would with the disc....
Dude, get some external storage space. That's what I did. I'm probably in a worse case scenario than you, because my console only had 500 GB from the start, so I really needed external space. I recommend the Seagate game drive, it adds room for like 50 more games.
He's referring to data caps on his internet. Not storage on his xbox.
New games are bigger because textures are much more detailed and sounds more complex. Amongst other things.
There's 10GB on just foreign languages in this game. Compression seems to be a problem not the details. Look at Star Wars Battlefront. Game is highly detailed but the base game is less than 30 gigs.
LethalQ wrote:
Yep it's their fault you have a data cap on your internet. H5 is a big game and most people don't have data caps on their internet.
While I agree the majority don't have data caps there are some places that just can't help it with having one and it should be looked at. Having updates at nearly 10GB almost every month is ridiculous with or without a data cap
Cant be helped at this stage
With your data cap limit, solutions are limited. Anyway to increase data usage for that one month ? Im sure most players are upset of the 91GB for H5. Ridiculous for a game nowadays since its like the size of 3-6 games as it is
lil its funny seeing people try to defend the fact that Halo 5 is almost 100 gb
lil its funny seeing people try to defend the fact that Halo 5 is almost 100 gb
Because there are multiple reasons for that.

I mean, look at a game that's released twice like AC: Black Flag. One is much bigger than the other.
I understand your pain. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do unless you upgrade your broadband. Sorry.
l RyanW l wrote:
Quote:
He would still have to download all the updates PLUS the game and still exceeding his data cap, actually even more than he would with the disc....
He's referring to data caps on his internet. Not storage on his xbox.
There's 10GB on just foreign languages in this game. Compression seems to be a problem not the details. Look at Star Wars Battlefront. Game is highly detailed but the base game is less than 30 gigs.
LethalQ wrote:
While I agree the majority don't have data caps there are some places that just can't help it with having one and it should be looked at. Having updates at nearly 10GB almost every month is ridiculous with or without a data cap
It's just 30gigs but it's barebones at best.
If you have a disc you shouldn't have to install all 91 GBs through the internet about 50% should be because of updates but not all 91 GBs
Cant be helped at this stage
With your data cap limit, solutions are limited. Anyway to increase data usage for that one month ? Im sure most players are upset of the 91GB for H5. Ridiculous for a game nowadays since its like the size of 3-6 games as it is
3-6 games WHAT!?!?! idk what guys you have but I have games that are 40-50 GB.
So... do people want content or not?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12