Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Arena - Why is join in progress removed?

OP alexo101

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. ...
  8. 7
I totally agree with this why has 343 removed such a key component that made halo such a fun game to play with friends.
Because its a terrible addition to a competitive Arena FPS.
Warzone is there to be primarily fun not so much for competitiveness. The traditional game style is all about fair and balanced play with competitiveness at its heart. Join in progress for arena means that you will often be filling in for someone who just quit out of a competitive match meaning you're probably joining a spawned trapped team with no power weapons. The req system in Warzone kind of means that there won't be a problem with the spawn trapping and power weapons (hopefully) so join in progress is fine.
Because Arena is the "competitive" mode for Halo. A lot of people do not want to join a game that is already being played and is most likely going to put them on the losing team.
Hell that happens alot in destiny than halo -_-
Exactly jip is crap
so are quitters. What is your solution?
keep it in warzone btb, infection anything casual keep out of ffa and ts
If it's matchmaking, I could agree with this change, but I hope they keep JiP for custom games, I loved how in halo 2 my buds could drop and in and out on a map I was on, this would help Forge out tremendously, so my buds can jump in and out of the map without having me needing to save and unload just to have them leave and then load the map back up and continue what I was doing.
Thank you 343i, this is an amazing decision. Join in progress is dumb, you always get thrown into a losing game...no thanks.
I see a lot of people that complain about JIP, but in all honesty, JIP is better for Halo in the long run, IMO. Yes, it sucks to join a game to only be put on a losing team, but there are ways the devs can counter this in the ranking system to compensate for that. There is literally nothing worse than quitters in a "competitive" arena game. You claim you want JIP removed because it makes it less competitive. How so, exactly? What about 3 vs 4 is competitive? What about 2 vs 4 or 1 vs 4 is competitive to you? It's idiotic.

There are a lot of reasons why people quit games besides someone just getting their -Yoink- handed to them. People want to pick up a controller and feel free to come and go as they please, and if you do so in a competitive match, you should be penalized for leaving. But should your team be penalized if you have to step out for whatever reason? I'm sorry, but every single argument I've heard against JIP is flawed and backwards thinking.
Exactly jip is crap
so are quitters. What is your solution?
keep it in warzone btb, infection anything casual keep out of ffa and ts
Halo should implement CS GO penalty system. 1 quit game 30 min ban, 2 quit games, 2 hour ban, 3 quit games 1 day ban, 6 quit games 1 week ban...or something like that
HL8968 wrote:
Wait, so people complain JIP was ruining Halo 4, now in Halo 5 they are getting rid of it and people are complaining about it? :/
that is what I was thinking
Go in with a team. It makes a world of difference. Also, Having join in session makes the balance throw off if you get good people to join the team you're destroying when you don't even have a full team.
JIP is kinda okay for the most social of playlists like BTB, Action Sack, FFA, Unranked TS. For ranked and especially Arena/HCS/whatever the competitive playlists are, it absolutely has to be left out. I'm happy with this decision.
Exactly jip is crap
A game doesn't start until its full. Why do people usually quit games? Because they are losing? Where do join in progress players get put? On the losing team.
Arena in halo 5 is aiming to be very competitive and jip doesn't fit that aspect. However I do believe it should be up to the player if they don't mind being JIP. I feel like it's needed in BTB and warzone. While arena should be up to the player.

I have a few JIP games on my halo 4 file share where my team won and I went 25-5 after JIP. I had a good experience with JIP in halo 4 for the most part and didn't mind being JIP. However idk why but Halo 5 is another story I'm super competitive in it and wouldn't like being JIP in ranked games.
alexo101 wrote:
In an interview/blog I read, Josh Holmes said somewhere that joining a game in progress would be disabled across all matchmaking game types (excluding war zone). Why was that important? I've been playing halo casually since 2009 and not having new teammates join your game when one or two leaves can be frustrating. In MCC, it is almost guaranteed that I will not finish a game if two out of four of my teammates have quit. Why not have a couple unranked playlists that allow join in progress? I'm sure warzone will be a blast, but not having join in progress when you're thrown into an arena game of complete strangers is not a fun experience. This is especially true when the "skill matchmaking" system pairs you up with people who are much better at halo than I am (which is probably 75% of the halo community, unfortunately). I am aware that customs, forge, and even campaign will have join in progress, which is great.
Join in progress does not belong anywhere near Arena. Please don't jeopardize a good thing w/ poorly thought out feedback.
I think clarifying what arena is (Because it is being thrown around like everyone understands the concept) would help decide if JIP is useful or not. Breakout, the new gametype of Halo 5, JIP would not work in that since it would break it completely, CTF however benefits greatly from it, since it gives the teams an equal standing.

Having a blanket "No JIP" for everything is dumb, Halo 3 and Halo Reach, shows us that this does not work, it creates a very un-competitive feeling and ruins the experience. However, for tournaments it wouldn't be an issue since it by nature is ultra-competitive.

Also, to those who say, just go in with team of friends solves all your problems, it doesn't. And if we really think about it, what about limiting team sizes so that it is half the "full' team size of that play list (as in a maximum of 4 in one group for BTB but still having the full 8 for a team, limiting the chance for one group to have a strangle hold on the match). Having something that is hard fought and won is better that screwing over people who have little chance of winning, having a good fight is better than being that camping sniper that doesn't move all match and stat padding.
JIP does not work as simply as you guys seem to think.

If people quit on you you are likely to start losing the game. In the same vein, if you start losing people are likely to quit. In either case when players get forced to JIP to your game, only to see they are now losing before they ever had a chance. They quit. JIP does NOT solve the quitter problem. In Halo 4 I had guys joining and quitting, only to join again then quit again!.

When a game is created there is a clear objective for the player for that game. Not talking about kills or flag. I'm talking about;

1) Winning the game
2) Earning points
3) Having fun

Halo 2/3 focused on winning the game. Reach/4 focused on earning points. Though in Reach's defense, winning the game was still important. When you design a game and its playlists you need to spread out the options for players, if you aren't focusing on one. Halo 5 at least has a good base to resolve this problem. And adding JIP to Arena is not it.

1) Ranked Playlists - Winning the match - No JIP
2) Social Playlists - Having fun - JIP
3) Warzone - Earning points - JIP

Trying to force competitive players to play socially or for points will only lose their interest.
Trying to force Social players to play competitively will only frustrate them
Trying to force point players to play socially or competitively will only lead them to feel bad at the game (My evidence for this is MCC and all the complaints from solo players frustrated they aren't rewarded every game) and again, they will leave.

A game like COD built it's MP player base on point earners. Halo didn't and since Reach and H4 tried to please those players we now have a community that consists of all three types instead of just the two. So now we have to please all three types.
Gah, you got there before I did Richnj. Thats exactly how JIP should affect a game for both competitive and social aspects
JiP should be used but only if they do it right so a new player is found quickly, that way the match doesn't progress too long while it's unbalanced.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. ...
  8. 7