Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Arena - Why is join in progress removed?

OP alexo101

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. ...
  7. 7
Apoll0 wrote:
Zero117AsZ wrote:
Well i think that it's a good call, if you are joining it is 75% that your team will be loosing, what 343i needs to do in my opinion is take off the "quit game" option so you can not surrender until the game ends. On warzone or big team joining in progress will work so it was a great decision.
Replace "Quit" with "Vote to Forfeit"
You vote to forfeit, its calls the vote with the other members of your team. If they also choose to forfeit within 30 seconds, the match ends, the other team wins, nobody gets quit penalties.

Or it could even be structured something like this:
You choose to quit, a dialog box that comes up that says:

Do you really want to quit? Quitting will penalize you much more than a loss.
Press X to vote to forfeit instead and avoid quit penalties, or A to quit anyway.
Sometimes people need to quit for legitimate reasons (crying baby, poop emergency, etc) so the option shouldn't be totally taken away, but instead a more acceptable alternative should be presented when they choose to quit.
Still can't get around the fact people are aholes. they would vote no just to see you suffer.
This is true but you cant control every single variable out there. Its better to at least be able to present the option, rather than have no option at all. Even if this only worked 1/2 the time, that would be a huge improvement.
I for one want it back, there was no better felling then joining a game in progress and then winning the game after you where on the losing team
If team members quitting is a problem then get a party together and play with a team.

Arena is supposed to be competitive.

-Playing with a team, & committing to the match = competitive
-Having team members switch out in the middle of the game = not competitive
-Joining a game that's in progress = not competitive

If you're just playing with randoms then you you get what you get and you shouldn't expect any different. Don't make the game itself cater to you when you could just mostly eliminate the problem by being proactive and getting a group together.

But when you're playing as a group, which is the best way to play, you shouldn't be forced into having JIP if someone ragequits because they got killed and teabagged a bunch of times.
As long as their is harsh quit penalties to the first player who quits, and subsequent quitters should not be punished e.g. a 1v4 should not penalize the final player for quitting out. Forfeiting a game should be allowable once the 4v4 is broken, but the breaker of the 4v4 should be harshly punished.
I never liked JIP in Halo 4 (or any game for that matter), JIP only to find that most of the time you're put on the losing team sucks big time, I'm glad its gone from most of the game types.
I am okay with it being removed.
JIP isn't competitive, but losing purely because you're unfortunate enough to be down on players apparently is. I don't understand how anyone could be against a feature that puts things back on an equal playing field.

Balance though, right?
HL8968 wrote:
Wait, so people complain JIP was ruining Halo 4, now in Halo 5 they are getting rid of it and people are complaining about it? :/
Story of a Halo fan's life in the 343 days. 343 involvement = bad decision. /s
Cooltn wrote:
I'm glad you can't join a game in progress, it feels really un-halo like.
Does finishing a game with half a team "feel like Halo?" 'Cause that's what's gonna happen. A lot.
Just like old times. I'd rather be playing on a crippled team than join a losing team or a gametype I have no interest in or did not vote for.
This is the first time I'm hearing this and I give 343 props for scrapping JIP in MM. If you get put into a game in progress, you are most likely going to fight a losing battle in that the team to harbor quitters is usually the losing team. It sucks to be down a teammate or two, but it's extremely unfair to whoever joined late to incur a loss just because of JIP.
This is the first time I'm hearing this and I give 343 props for scrapping JIP in MM. If you get put into a game in progress, you are most likely going to fight a losing battle in that the team to harbor quitters is usually the losing team. It sucks to be down a teammate or two, but it's extremely unfair to whoever joined late to incur a loss just because of JIP.
Well there is still JiP in Warzone.
ifor hardy wrote:
JIP isn't competitive, but losing purely because you're unfortunate enough to be down on players apparently is. I don't understand how anyone could be against a feature that puts things back on an equal playing field.

Balance though, right?
today kids we learn a new word called alternatives. ya see, sometimes a problem has more than one solution, sometimes there is no right solution to something but solutions which give better or worse results depending on the situation.

simple don't allow quitting as an in-game option, it isn't there. some will find a work around to leave like turning off the xbox. if you leave or lag out you will have 2 mins to reconnect or face harsh leaving penalties (30 min time ban from all of MM, no warnings, every quit that does not reconnect is 30 min). if the teams have become uneven (3v4 or 6v8) or a certain time limit or score difference has passed (in case of spawn killing) then the team has the option to forfeit the game through majority vote.

problem with JiP is that quitting is even more frequent and don't tell me it's not, i had more people quit out on me in my short time playing halo 4, than in my long time paying h2,3 or reach online. JiP is a patch-up solution that does not provide balance like you sarcastically assumed.
Very touchy subject. In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to worry about quitters. Maybe a large time limit, alongside a sizable derank would help.
How about a setting to enable/disable JiP?
If it's enabled, Matchmaking may put you in a match that someone has left but if you don't want to join one in progress just disable the option.

Final Fantasy 14 has this and it's great for if I want to finish a dungeon more quickly but I disable when doing one for the first time or want particular loot that's right at the start.
Exactly jip is crap
so are quitters. What is your solution?
keep it in warzone btb, infection anything casual keep out of ffa and ts
So you're saying JIP IS a solution to quitting, you just don't want it elsewhere. What is your solution for quitting in games other than warzone.
ifor hardy wrote:
Balance though, right?
My thoughts exactly. Sometimes you gotta take the hit of playing a full game to have the feature. Everyone is happy to gain that extra person (to have even teams), but no one wants to be that person. That's the stoopidity behind it.
HL8968 wrote:
Wait, so people complain JIP was ruining Halo 4, now in Halo 5 they are getting rid of it and people are complaining about it? :/
Story of a Halo fan's life in the 343 days. 343 involvement = bad decision. /s
Or people just have different opinions on everything?

Sometimes Im shocked that people dont even undestand the basics.
alexo101 wrote:
In an interview/blog I read, Josh Holmes said somewhere that joining a game in progress would be disabled across all matchmaking game types (excluding war zone). Why was that important? I've been playing halo casually since 2009 and not having new teammates join your game when one or two leaves can be frustrating. In MCC, it is almost guaranteed that I will not finish a game if two out of four of my teammates have quit. Why not have a couple unranked playlists that allow join in progress? I'm sure warzone will be a blast, but not having join in progress when you're thrown into an arena game of complete strangers is not a fun experience. This is especially true when the "skill matchmaking" system pairs you up with people who are much better at halo than I am (which is probably 75% of the halo community, unfortunately). I am aware that customs, forge, and even campaign will have join in progress, which is great.
because that was never a feature in traditional halo
Exactly jip is crap
What is your solution for quitting in games other than warzone.
There is no solution. People will always quit and lag out. JIP just makes it worse. I lost 10x more games because of JIP than I won because of it.

You also completly ignore the skill factor when looking at the balance.
I would rather have only one competetent good player in my team than 5 chickenheads that drop neg bombs.

My solution: Get friends or deal with quitters here and there.
You can add 100s of friends on the one. Just play decent and invite the other decent people from both teams. They will join and play with you. You dont even need to add them or use a mic. Just invite the ones you think are good enough and play with them.

And on the higher ranks you see barely anyone quitting anyway. Its a blast.
Lambossity wrote:
Exactly jip is crap
What is your solution for quitting in games other than warzone.
There is no solution. People will always quit and lag out. JIP just makes it worse. I lost 10x more games because of JIP than I won because of it.

You also completly ignore the skill factor when looking at the balance.
I would rather have only one competetent good player in my team than 5 chickenheads that drop neg bombs.

My solution: Get friends or deal with quitters here and there.
You can add 100s of friends on the one. Just play decent and invite the other decent people from both teams. They will join and play with you. You dont even need to add them or use a mic. Just invite the ones you think are good enough and play with them.

And on the higher ranks you see barely anyone quitting anyway. Its a blast.
There is a solution to constant quitters. Don't play the game. It has worked well for me with TMCC. I've been playing much less frustrating games since.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. ...
  7. 7