Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Arena - Why is join in progress removed?

OP alexo101

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7
I'm alright with join in progress being removed for arena, so long as the quitters get harsher punishments than if they quit a game of warzone or another non-competitive gametype.
Cooltn wrote:
I'm glad you can't join a game in progress, it feels really un-halo like.
Does finishing a game with half a team "feel like Halo?" 'Cause that's what's gonna happen. A lot.
Put into better words than I could
Agree with these guys. Been playing Halo since Halo CE on LAN and I understand the viewpoint of Halo Arena being the 4 on 4 competitive, team mode. I really do.
But the vast majority of players are not joining matchmaking with a team of 4. And when you're stuck in a game 4 on 2 because 2 of your teammates bailed, without JIP you have two choices:
1. Stay, get utterly brutalized the majority of the time, get a loss, and have your stats destroyed.
2. Quit, get the loss, and face a penalty.
Either way the staying players lose. JIP should absolutely be enabled for ALL MODES with the caveat that it won't have players join after the game is a specific percentage complete.

And let's be clear - "quitting penalties" DON'T WORK. They never have and never will. People are going to quit regardless and on top of that, you're now punishing people for wanting to quit a game that's 4 on 1 because their team quit on them.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Porshapwr wrote:
Cooltn wrote:
I'm glad you can't join a game in progress, it feels really un-halo like.
Does finishing a game with half a team "feel like Halo?" 'Cause that's what's gonna happen. A lot.
Put into better words than I could
Agree with these guys. Been playing Halo since Halo CE on LAN and I understand the viewpoint of Halo Arena being the 4 on 4 competitive, team mode. I really do.
But the vast majority of players are not joining matchmaking with a team of 4. And when you're stuck in a game 4 on 2 because 2 of your teammates bailed, without JIP you have two choices:
1. Stay, get utterly brutalized the majority of the time, get a loss, and have your stats destroyed.
Either way the staying players lose. JIP should absolutely be enabled for ALL MODES with the caveat that it won't have players join after the game is a specific percentage complete.

And let's be clear - "quitting penalties" DON'T WORK. They never have and never will. People are going to quit regardless and on top of that, you're now punishing people for wanting to quit a game that's 4 on 1 because their team quit on them.
Will you PLEASE PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE!!!!!

Why do most players quit?
-Because they are on the losing team getting their butt kicked

So where are most openings in games for a player to Join In Progress?
-ON LOSING TEAMS

So in a game mode like arena that players play to rank up don't you agree it would be bad to be placed on losing teams every other game due to JIP?
-DERP DERP DERP USE YOUR HEAD DERP DERP
Ugh, I hated JIP in H4. Kept getting thrown in a losing match. Glad it's gone.
Join in progress FTW , nooooooooooooooo Join in progress almost always means your going to lose :/
I am okay with no JIP but for the love of god there better be something that punishes kids for leaving.
Yes, let us continue to have 2v4 one-sided games. Fun.

And let's not forget the hide-and-seek 1v4's
Join in progress for Warzone makes sense. Large teams on large maps in a less competitive and more chaotic environment means players can leave and join more freely without harming the overall flow of the game.

For arena however, join in progress just isn't a good thing to have. Something I remember hearing a long time ago in a Reach Vidoc is "two players enter, the better player leaves, while the lesser player is respawning, and thats halo."

Its not fun when two teams enter, the first team dominates, and then the second team quits, only to be replaced by new players that dominate the first team. The team that originally went into that fight, and came out the winner should be the winner for that game.

This works both ways as well. Players don't want to be thrown into matches where the team they are against already has a significant lead on them with little to no hope of a comeback, when they weren't even originally in the game when that occurred.

These things happen far more often in Arena gametypes then BTB style gametypes, because of the smaller team sizes meaning each individual player has an amplified effect on the final outcome of the match compared to one in BTB or Warzone.
AMEN WITH THIS:

"Agree with these guys. Been playing Halo since Halo CE on LAN and I understand the viewpoint of Halo Arena being the 4 on 4 competitive, team mode. I really do.
Either way the staying players lose. JIP should absolutely be enabled for ALL MODES with the caveat that it won't have players join after the game is a specific percentage complete.And let's be clear - "quitting penalties" DON'T WORK. They never have and never will. People are going to quit regardless and on top of that, you're now punishing people for wanting to quit a game that's 4 on 1 because their team quit on them."
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7