Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Arena Doubles and Power Ups

OP KC 82

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
First, I have to say I've waited a long time for Halo 5 doubles and it does not disappoint. I didn't purchase the game until doubles was permanant. It should have been there from the start, but that's another topic.

Doubles is great so far, but I do have one issue. What the heck are power ups like invisibility doing in the doubles Arena? I loathe invisibility in a competitive playlist. It's makes for some very cheap kills. If you're going to have it, there should be an equally effective downside to using it, like you have 50% shield with it or something. It also lasts far too long. In my opinion, it just doesn't belong in Doubles.

Thoughts?
KC 82 wrote:
First, I have to say I've waited a long time for Halo 5 doubles and it does not disappoint. I didn't purchase the game until doubles was permanant. It should have been there from the start, but that's another topic.

Doubles is great so far, but I do have one issue. What the heck are power ups like invisibility doing in the doubles Arena? I loathe invisibility in a competitive playlist. It's makes for some very cheap kills. If you're going to have it, there should be an equally effective downside to using it, like you have 50% shield with it or something. It also lasts far too long. In my opinion, it just doesn't belong in Doubles.

Thoughts?
The downside is your movement speed is drastically reduced if you want to stay hidden. I have been bothered by pesky camo-users but most of the time the game does a decent job if said person slips up and reveals themselves, allowing you the chance to make a move.
KC 82 wrote:

Thoughts?
The downside is your movement speed is drastically reduced if you want to stay hidden. I have been bothered by pesky camo-users but most of the time the game does a decent job if said person slips up and reveals themselves, allowing you the chance to make a move.
What Foxhoundunit said.
Invisibility should be removed from ALL doubles maps. Period.
r3sPaWn3d wrote:
KC 82 wrote:

Thoughts?
What Foxhoundunit said.
I dunno about that. The game seems to favor the person who shoots first by far in my experience over the years. If someone can camp with camo or sneak up beside you with it, that really sucks. Sneaking around is great but you should be visible. Otherwise everyone else is a sitting duck. There is one map, overgrowth, if the enemy gets camo they can really destroy you.
Why exactly are you so distraught about camo in a doubles playlist? The fact that you are having to fight for these power ups justifies how strong they are, and this is no different in 4v4. Give me some more information here.

What's the point of picking up camo if you're gonna have such a downside for using it? That's a really silly balance mechanic.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
KC 82 wrote:
r3sPaWn3d wrote:
KC 82 wrote:

Thoughts?
What Foxhoundunit said.
I dunno about that. The game seems to favor the person who shoots first by far in my experience over the years. If someone can camp with camo or sneak up beside you with it, that really sucks. Sneaking around is great but you should be visible. Otherwise everyone else is a sitting duck. There is one map, overgrowth, if the enemy gets camo they can really destroy you.
Controlling power weapons and power-ups are essential to Halo. That is one of the main differences between Halo and other FPS in a broad spectrum. This wouldn't be nearly as crucial if there wasn't a clear advantage to having a power-up, in fact, I would argue that's part of the definition of a "power-up".

And Foxhoundunit (MG reference?) sums up the balance to the active camo power-up perfectly. If you even walk to fast you are no longer completely invisible. It takes patience to really make the active camo worth it's full potential, and even more so if the same person who grabs the power-up can also get their hands on a power-weapon. That is all just part of strategy.

They are not going to get rid of power-ups in doubles, I would just start to take them into consideration when developing your strats on the different maps.
TryHardFan wrote:
Why exactly are you so distraught about camo in a doubles playlist? The fact that you are having to fight for these power ups justifies how strong they are, and this is no different in 4v4. Give me some more information here.

What's the point of picking up camo if you're gonna have such a downside for using it? That's a really silly balance mechanic.
Well, that's kind of my point. Camo shouldn't be in a competitive playlist, 2v2 or 4v4. How does my skill level make up for someone that is invisible? It makes for some really cheap kills. Keep that crap in the social playlists.
KC 82 wrote:
TryHardFan wrote:

Well, that's kind of my point. Camo shouldn't be in a competitive playlist, 2v2 or 4v4. How does my skill level make up for someone that is invisible? It makes for some really cheap kills. Keep that crap in the social playlists.
So do rocket kills, so do OS kills with your high resistance of damage, so do fuel rod kills, and so do plasma caster kills. How are any of these power weapons different from power ups exactly, because your reasoning suggests that we remove power weapons too for doubles. The "cheap" kills are justified by how they spawn in longer spans and are meant to be fought for with them being map pick ups.
Powerups in Arena should have downsides effect or the enemy team would keep on getting them and thus lead them into an easy win
Powerups in Arena should have downsides effect or the enemy team would keep on getting them and thus lead them into an easy win
Controlling powerups and power weapons is how you win games. Halo has always been this way.
Controlling powerups and power weapons is how you win games. Halo has always been this way.
Yeah i know but people who know the map inside and out will always win the game then.
Yeah i know but people who know the map inside and out will always win the game then.
That's why doubles is ranked, if you wanna win you need to practice. Study the map, and learn where and where to pick up weapons.
Doesn't that sound reasonable to you?

Team A (Knows map) > Team B (Doesn't know map)

Idk... seems logical to me
Why? Halo has always been about controlling the map, and that also takes into consideration of controlling the power ups and the power ups as well as the better map position (generally higher grounds). Why should the team that outplayed the other be punished for winning control of a power up? The power ups are there for more interesting combat. The team that pulls O/s gives a temporary moment to push vs the enemy, invis lets one flank around the map easier to neutralize players in power positions, speed boost makes you harder to it while letting you carry objectives faster, and damage boost lets you neutralize opponents faster than normal. These elements are precisely why I still love playing halo multiplayer. It's one of the only games today that focus on map control and on map pickups effecting gameplay. Do you know what would happen if they just let us spawn with everything and not have on map pickups? Halo 4 is the anwser. Halo -Yoinking!- 4.
Doesn't that sound reasonable to you?

Team A (Knows map) > Team B (Doesn't know map)

Idk... seems logical to me
It is logical, if the issue is one team knows the game better than the other, then the less educated team should learn the game if it bothers them. Next thing is people will ask for 343 to make gunfights easier (which is already done to an extent)cuz one guy shoots better than the other.
Why? Halo has always been about controlling the map, and that also takes into consideration of controlling the power ups and the power ups as well as the better map position (generally higher grounds). Why should the team that outplayed the other be punished for winning control of a power up? The power ups are there for more interesting combat. The team that pulls O/s gives a temporary moment to push vs the enemy, invis lets one flank around the map easier to neutralize players in power positions, speed boost makes you harder to it while letting you carry objectives faster, and damage boost lets you neutralize opponents faster than normal. These elements are precisely why I still love playing halo multiplayer. It's one of the only games today that focus on map control and on map pickups effecting gameplay. Do you know what would happen if they just let us spawn with everything and not have on map pickups? Halo 4 is the anwser. Halo -Yoinking!- 4.
If I could re-do my original post, I would just say that active camo is cheap B.S.. I am okay with power weapons because each one is balanced, either by function or ammo capacity. But, Invisible enemies in ranked play? Really?
KC 82 wrote:

Thoughts?
Control it, that's part of the game. Of course it belongs in doubles, just like any other power up or power weapon. If the enemy get camo, just stick together and wait until it's run out.
KC 82 wrote:
If I could re-do my original post, I would just say that active camo is cheap B.S.. I am okay with power weapons because each one is balanced, either by function or ammo capacity. But, Invisible enemies in ranked play? Really?
How is invis cheap? As tryhard said you'd then think rockets are cheap, they kill you instantly if hit. Even corner camping a door way with a shotgun is cheap. Automatic range in this game is cheap. I'd argue invis being "cheap" doesn't outweigh what it adds to the game. Is O/s not cheap? I can take double the damage because of it while others struggle to kill me before I kill them. Why is invis the only cheap one in? In brrakout you see their footprints, in non breakout games they give off a little blur when you look at them. They're not 100% invisible. It's always been used in ranked play. Remember h3 guardians? H3 the pit?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2