Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Armor Effects Like Halo: Reach?

OP FastMrFreeman

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 8
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. ...
  9. 66
Never liked them.
Just another particle effect that dont do anything.
Did the armor do anything? It's all only cosmetics.
Dude face it the majority of people on Halo Waypoint these days are anti-classic Halo/Reach. I am not one of these people as I saw Reach as the last great Halo game. I loved the Forge, the multiplayer, the abilities, yes even the loadouts. I also really enjoy the armor effects, I find the flaming helmets to be the best, but not exactly the easiest to get a hold of. I've missed the Halo titles that used to be all around fun. All I see now is either all casual, or all competitive, that's not good either way. The lesser of the two evils though is definately all casual, as you can play a casual game competitively, but you can't play a competitive game casually. But yeah I wouldn't mind if Armor effects came back, hell I'd welcome them back with open arms, they couldn't be worse than the white bird doodie on my armor skins.
dude i couldn't agree more. especially on halo reach being the last great halo. i mean halo 5s multiplayer is pretty good but the campaign is complete -Yoink-.
Eh, if I had to rate Halo 5's multiplayer as a Halo game on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it a 4. I'd give Reach a 7. The reason being, Reach is a casual game for the most part, casual games CAN be played competitively if the player desires. Halo 5 is a Competitive game for the most part, a Competitve game cannot be played casually. That's where the problem lies. Casual Halo is ok as it can allow for competitive players to play their way, but Competitive Halo destroys half the community, the casuals, who just wanna have fun and mess around like the good old days. Back when you could go into a match of slayer, find an out of map spot and convince both teams to wave the truce flag and work together to reach it.
I personally think that Reach was the worst multiplayer, and Halo 4 and 5 are just trying to come back form how bad reach was. In my opinion, Halo 3 had the best multiplayer out of all the games, and it really hasn't been the same since. The armor abilities really made the game less competitive but at the same time, harder for a newcomer to get into. Halo 4 tried to make the multiplayer easier for newcomers, which ended up making it far less competitive. Halo 5 seemed to have a knee jerk reaction to the the reaction and focused more on being competitive. Halo 3 just had the perfect mix. Honestly, if it wasn't for Forge and the Forge World map, Halo probably would have died with Reach.
I'd rather Halo died with Reach tbh.
I couldn't agree more. Some ideas brought forth by 343i into the newer Halos weren't too bad. Forge was brought to a higher potential. Honestly, Reach was the last Halo. It's only because they had good lore and some of the best multiplayer games of their time. Halo kind has gone down the gutters in terms of lore, but I think Reach was perfect. Just the right forge space, nice multiplayer, and not-so-try-hard players. It was all in good fun!
Never liked them.
Just another particle effect that dont do anything.
Did the armor do anything? It's all only cosmetics.
Dude face it the majority of people on Halo Waypoint these days are anti-classic Halo/Reach. I am not one of these people as I saw Reach as the last great Halo game. I loved the Forge, the multiplayer, the abilities, yes even the loadouts. I also really enjoy the armor effects, I find the flaming helmets to be the best, but not exactly the easiest to get a hold of. I've missed the Halo titles that used to be all around fun. All I see now is either all casual, or all competitive, that's not good either way. The lesser of the two evils though is definately all casual, as you can play a casual game competitively, but you can't play a competitive game casually. But yeah I wouldn't mind if Armor effects came back, hell I'd welcome them back with open arms, they couldn't be worse than the white bird doodie on my armor skins.
dude i couldn't agree more. especially on halo reach being the last great halo. i mean halo 5s multiplayer is pretty good but the campaign is complete -Yoink-.
Eh, if I had to rate Halo 5's multiplayer as a Halo game on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it a 4. I'd give Reach a 7. The reason being, Reach is a casual game for the most part, casual games CAN be played competitively if the player desires. Halo 5 is a Competitive game for the most part, a Competitve game cannot be played casually. That's where the problem lies. Casual Halo is ok as it can allow for competitive players to play their way, but Competitive Halo destroys half the community, the casuals, who just wanna have fun and mess around like the good old days. Back when you could go into a match of slayer, find an out of map spot and convince both teams to wave the truce flag and work together to reach it.
I personally think that Reach was the worst multiplayer, and Halo 4 and 5 are just trying to come back form how bad reach was. In my opinion, Halo 3 had the best multiplayer out of all the games, and it really hasn't been the same since. The armor abilities really made the game less competitive but at the same time, harder for a newcomer to get into. Halo 4 tried to make the multiplayer easier for newcomers, which ended up making it far less competitive. Halo 5 seemed to have a knee jerk reaction to the the reaction and focused more on being competitive. Halo 3 just had the perfect mix. Honestly, if it wasn't for Forge and the Forge World map, Halo probably would have died with Reach.
I'd rather Halo died with Reach tbh.
I couldn't agree more. Some ideas brought forth by 343i into the newer Halos weren't too bad. Forge was brought to a higher potential. Honestly, Reach was the last Halo. It's only because they had good lore and some of the best multiplayer games of their time. Halo kind has gone down the gutters in terms of lore, but I think Reach was perfect. Just the right forge space, nice multiplayer, and not-so-try-hard players. It was all in good fun!
Exactly, people try to say armor lock ruined Reach, as if that one featured destroyed the entire game, it did not. It was annoying and the Hardlight Shield was a better version of it, but still, Reach to this day remains superior to 343's Halo titles.
Benti86 wrote:
TBH I think armour effects are just gimmicks.
It was an armor customization item that some people really enjoyed I don't see what's gimmicky. My problem stems from that 343 royally screwed customization in the game, especially with reqs. Most of the free content has just been more reqs to bloat the system.
Well it's there opinion and I respect their's. Yes I do agree with you that 343i put a lot unnecessary items just to bloat the REQ system. Hell, even the emblems are put behind the REQ system.

But still, IMO I think armour effects are gimmicks and just ruins the immersion for me. Maybe have it a option for custom games (e.g SWAT whenever you die by at headshot, your death is softened by a joyful noise and confetti.)
That would be awesome! My favorite would be a promethean death armor mod!
They were a waste of credits but they were something to work towards after you get the armor you want. But I also like what another guy said up in the feed. That the lore would be off and they are unrealistic for training in the war games. But I don't really know if I want them back or not
They were a waste of credits but they were something to work towards after you get the armor you want. But I also like what another guy said up in the feed. That the lore would be off and they are unrealistic for training in the war games. But I don't really know if I want them back or not
What does multiplayer have to do with the LORE? The Warzone games are simulations, so they aren't realistic.
I do not know if armor effects are a good idea on Halo 5
I liked them, but they were a little rough. Now Halo is more fluid. (Sorry if I have mistakes)
When playing a game, they were obvious indicators of where you're at. Floating hearts were a dead giveaway.
Mr Sir 81 wrote:
When playing a game, they were obvious indicators of where you're at. Floating hearts were a dead giveaway.
Which is why I think it wouldn't be a good idea for regular games.
Nononononononono, the armor lock is very op
While I've never been a fan of armor abilities, LateNightGaming brought up an interesting point. Halo 3 style equipment, if properly modernized, could be fun in a modern halo. It fits with halo's equal start policy and would have to be picked up at certain locations on the map (for one time use). Armor mods already do this, and it was fun in Halo 3.
Maybe they may be too hard in req packs which makes it difficult to get maybe that's why,obviously 343 doesn't have to add it it depends if they want to or not, it was cool to have them on halo reach but they were too expensive so I was disappointed but yea...
Why? What value does it add?

Does more harm than good IMO. The last thing I want to hear when I play a sci-fi military shooter is a bunch of screaming children from the Grunt birthday party, with confetti flying everywhere... pretty freaking stupid.
I'd like for them to return. If people don't like them they don't have to use them. The more customization and options the player has the better.

Does more harm than good IMO. The last thing I want to hear when I play a sci-fi military shooter is a bunch of screaming children from the Grunt birthday party, with confetti flying everywhere... pretty freaking stupid.
So I'm understanding you aren't a fan of Bungie's work? What value does armor, stance, emblems, and assassinatons add? If you can state and answer that agree with all of them, then it should go for armor effects as well. (Not 100% against this opinion. I am trying to make a point of why they could be added.)

So I'm understanding you aren't a fan of Bungie's work? What value does armor, stance, emblems, and assassinatons add? If you can state and answer that agree with all of them, then it should go for armor effects as well. (Not 100% against this opinion. I am trying to make a point of why they could be added.)
Where do you get "not a fan of Bungie's work" out of expressing dislike for armor effects? That's absolutely not what I'm saying...

...but you are right about armor, emblems, assassination animations, etc. They are additional development costs and non-critical content that offer very little to zero added value to the game/player experience.

NOW... one thing about the game industry today, development costs are at an all-time high. To keep costs for the consumer low, RNG/microtransaction systems have been introduced. This is where SOME cosmetic content becomes valuable. Why? Because some of these items are relatively very cheap and "light" to produce... namely skins, or where very little modeling, processing, or programming takes place.

The key is to keep costs as low as possible to maximize additional income, and to produce cheap content with highest possible perceived value. Things people want to buy. This enables developers to produce additional, HIGH-VALUE content. Your free maps, game modes, expansions... content that ADDS value to the game and the overall gaming experience.

HOWEVER... these low cost cosmetics absolutely should NOT damage the overall aesthetic of the game. Look at COD with all its pink gingerbread men running around... I think the tonal change over the years turned off a lot of people... and the same can be said of Halo, to a degree.
Dude, I absolutely loved being able to customize every piece of armor the your spartan wore. I feel the special effects were also a really nice touch to the customization, and just for the fun of it. Plus, I believe the customizable announcer was around the same concept. Anyway, I am really hoping that at least customizable armor pieces are going to be added in the next Halo fps. It wouldn't be to much of a problem if they didn't add the armor effects.
The customization thing your recommending OP has been requested so many times, I would like to see it too in H5, but with ~250 armor sets, that would be A LOT of customization options, but more of a pain to script n' such, but still do-able, I hope we can at least see that customization level in H6. But as for helmet effects, I would like to see it come back, but with new effects :D. Like seriously...who wouldn't want a Burning Flames Achilles Helmet
Personally think that the game would become broken online with armour mods again

especially in warzone
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 8
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. ...
  9. 66