Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Armor Effects Like Halo: Reach?

OP FastMrFreeman

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 25
  4. 26
  5. 27
  6. 28
  7. 29
  8. ...
  9. 66
It was fun to tinker with and I would enjoy having them again
Tell me what was the staple of Halo 2/3 "The Peak of Halo"
Ah a new bacon. This should be mildly distracting. Not a hint of bias there. Ok. You liked Halo 2 and 3 better. I get it. Why does that matter? I usually tell people ODST was my favorite (though the truth is more complicated.)

and what made it so great compared to the downfalls of Halo.. which includes Halo 4/5?
You really haven't grasped this 'your opinions aren't facts' thing. Which Halos were good and bad or mildly better than each other is entirely subjective and is completely irrelevant to my discussion with the other Bacon (which I feel you're trying to insert yourself into.)

Let's have an open mind here and be modest MOD..
Modesty would include the understanding that your ideas can be wrong. I.E. the admission that something that is entirely your opinion (I.E. What would be a waste of resources) isn't universally held and could easily be wrong.

I'm sorry my role on this site seems to offend you.

We
The royal 'We'? I thought I was speaking to a single person or is there something else going on? Are you speaking for the other Bacon? Did he 'tag' you in?

speak for the millions of people who haven't been drawn to halo since Halo d3/ d
Really? So, these people have voted you their leader? Have you spoken with these millions of people individually and had them each specifically tell you that the reason they are less than fond of the recent Halo games is because people ask for customization options on a forum? Or are you just generalizing your views to a section of the populace and then assuming completely without evidence their opinions?

Halo: Reach or become disappointed while numbers drop immensely since launch because of these factors Lick is speaking of..
You don't seem to understand how epistemology works. For instance when you see a phenomenon you don't get to assume that that phenomenon is caused by 'x' (in this case customization options) without evidence to support that and showing that it is more likely than the millions of other possible reasons that could explain that phenomenon.

Which you are completely taking out of context and/or are completely stubborn about.
I'm not sure the population of reach is even relevant to my conversation with 'bacon prime' or the 'other bacon.' I'm not sure which term I find more amusing.
My issue with him is him telling people not to ask for things they want. I also have some (infinitesimal) hope of getting him to understand that his decisions of what is and isn't a ;waste of resources' are entirely arbitrary and not something he gets to decide.

You won't see those amount of people coming to this forum anymore or even posting because they simply have given up/don't care or have joined other big forums(TeamBeyond and Thehaloforum).
The majority of Halo fans never make it to any forum much less the ones you prefer. That is also irrelevant to my discussion with the other Bacon.

You may ask why are we still here then.. because we see potential that has always been there but isn't implemented. And if you say "All those People have different expectations" well.. We all used to play together on Halo 2,3 and maybe Halo:Reach.
I've been playing Halo since messing about with my mates on the dorm with CE. Everyone has opinions about Halo. And there is absolutely no reason that you should have more of a voice than anyone else.

Well, new bacon. Welcome to conversation. So are you actually trying to defend the idea that it's appropriate to unilaterally declare things 'wastes of resources' based entirely on your opinion? Are you saying shouting down people for asking for things they personally want in the game is good? Or did you bother to read the entirety of the conversation?
@lickmyb4c0n: I don't want you to get the idea that I brush all your arguments aside. In fact, I agree with you on 99% of everything you say: Priorities in development have been heavily skewed in recent years, the amount of actual game content is severely lacking and the content that we do get is unpolished and half--Yoinked!-. Because of that, I initially didn't even mean to join the argument, but I took issue with the way you phrased your arguments in particular.

Like this for example:
I'm sorry guys, but not only do I find that to be mismanagement of the Halo franchise and online MM environment, but I also find it very SAD that the community has come to this point... where less and less people are playing Halo for what Halo was designed to be, in it's default, competitive form.
Except it wasn't, and I already proved that. Halo was never designed to be competitive (until maybe H5G). CE was designed to be PvE. Halo 2 was designed to be PvE. That's not what the games ended up being, due to various problems in development, and you can very well make a case that this is exactly what made Halo so ridiculously popular. So yeah, competitive modes should definitely a priority focus in development. But the way you phrase it ("designed to be", etc.) is factually wrong.

Similarly, you don't seem to understand that people (like Comedic Hermit) don't disagree with your claim that the game is lacking but how you present that position:
that's why I come on here and say "we have way too many cosmetics!"
But you didn't. At least not in the first place. Your initial post specifically focused on Armor effects, deeming them "Just wasteful, unnecessary content... childish really, IMO. Especially Grunt Birthday..."
Again, I totally agree with the fact that cosmetics have been too much prioritized. We currently have 200+ helmets and armors with 175(?) of them being available at launch. (So only those actually took away development time and costs from other parts of the game.) But on the other hand, we have zero armor effects. Saying "No, don't put armor effects into the games because we already have too many helmets" is moronic, because even though both of these are cosmetics, they have nothing in common besides that. That's like shipping a game with 200 4v4 but not a single BTB map, because "we don't need more maps, we already have too many", despite the teo categories not serving the same purpose.
I don't even care for armor effects. I just drop by in this thread every once and so often because I still get likes for my sarcastic post on page one. But either way, nobody is asking for one hundred of them. Reach only had five (six if you count the different colored flames). I'm sure it's possible to have at least those few back if the other cosmetics are reduced in redundancy. Even fifty less helmets should clear enough "wasted ressources" to spend on maps and modes while still making it possible to include armor effects. Especially considering that almost all of them are already in the game: Grunt Birthday Party already exists as the eponymous skull in campaign. Inclement Weather is nothing but the effect that is applied to damaged vehicles. None of this must be designed from the ground up like armor permutations do. The scrips literally only need to be copypasted onto player models, maybe clean up the visuals a little bit, and you're done. You could probably do this in one afternoon...
I loved Halo: Reach when it bought it and started playing for the first time. I saw all these amazing features. I just loved how you could make your own combination of armor from helmet to shoulders to torso. I liked the armor effects as well. They were just the coolest thing to me. So the question is: Why can't a feature like this be in Halo 5? Do they not like it, or is it just because of some other reason? Was it hated by many players and 343 decided not to add it? Many questions lay in my mind about this. I don't know about you guys, but Maaaaaaan... do I want a sick skull, birthday party, or inclement weather effects on my Halo 5 set.

How do you feel of this topic friends?
It will be amazing if 343 adds the armor effects.
I always thought armor effects would be a cool thing to bring back to Halo
Well halo 5 is pushing the limits of the Xbox 1 in some game modes so maybe they just want to keep their 60fps 1080p lock.
I think halo 5 doesn't need any armor effect right now as it already has camo speed and damage boosts. These boosts are already op if you know how they work. if 343 added armor effects now it would be even more crazy in warzone turbo because if you are losing you just get spawn killed. also the armour mods we have are really good already. I think they should make one the gives you an extra boost.

Thanks

TheKamilien
I think halo 5 doesn't need any armor effect right now as it already has camo speed and damage boosts.
You've confused two things. Armor effects were cosmetic items in Halo: Reach; camo, OS, and damage boost are power-ups.
also the armour mods we have are really good already. I think they should make one that gives you an extra boost
That'd be neat.
Yes I liked them, But I also liked the reach customization the best, halo 3 was also pretty good. What I don't get is why they took all these options away from halo 5. I expect halo games to get better and add new stuff, but instead they took out these customization options. As halo games come out they should improve on the good things, not get rid of them completely, even if its just a gimmick. Quality > Quantity. I buy the next halo game because it has more fun stuff to do, not less. I hope 343i takes this into consideration.
I like them, but I wouldn't want to see them in any future games
Ah a new bacon. This should be mildly distracting. Not a hint of bias there. Ok. You liked Halo 2 and 3 better. I get it. Why does that matter? I usually tell people ODST was my favorite (though the truth is more complicated.)

and what made it so great compared to the downfalls of Halo.. which includes Halo 4/5?
You really haven't grasped this 'your opinions aren't facts' thing. Which Halos were good and bad or mildly better than each other is entirely subjective and is completely irrelevant to my discussion with the other Bacon (which I feel you're trying to insert yourself into.)

Modesty would include the understanding that your ideas can be wrong. I.E. the admission that something that is entirely your opinion (I.E. What would be a waste of resources) isn't universally held and could easily be wrong.

We
The royal 'We'? I thought I was speaking to a single person or is there something else going on? Are you speaking for the other Bacon? Did he 'tag' you in?

speak for the millions of people who haven't been drawn to halo since Halo d3/ d
Really? So, these people have voted you their leader? Have you spoken with these millions of people individually and had them each specifically tell you that the reason they are less than fond of the recent Halo games is because people ask for customization options on a forum? Or are you just generalizing your views to a section of the populace and then assuming completely without evidence their opinions?

Halo: Reach or become disappointed while numbers drop immensely since launch because of these factors Lick is speaking of..
You don't seem to understand how epistemology works. For instance when you see a phenomenon you don't get to assume that that phenomenon is caused by 'x' (in this case customization options) without evidence to support that and showing that it is more likely than the millions of other possible reasons that could explain that phenomenon.

Which you are completely taking out of context and/or are completely stubborn about.
I'm not sure the population of reach is even relevant to my conversation with 'bacon prime' or the 'other bacon.' I'm not sure which term I find more amusing.
My issue with him is him telling people not to ask for things they want. I also have some (infinitesimal) hope of getting him to understand that his decisions of what is and isn't a ;waste of resources' are entirely arbitrary and not something he gets to decide.

You won't see those amount of people coming to this forum anymore or even posting because they simply have given up/don't care or have joined other big forums(TeamBeyond and Thehaloforum).
The majority of Halo fans never make it to any forum much less the ones you prefer. That is also irrelevant to my discussion with the other Bacon.

You may ask why are we still here then.. because we see potential that has always been there but isn't implemented. And if you say "All those People have different expectations" well.. We all used to play together on Halo 2,3 and maybe Halo:Reach.
I've been playing Halo since messing about with my mates on the dorm with CE. Everyone has opinions about Halo. And there is absolutely no reason that you should have more of a voice than anyone else.

Well, new bacon. Welcome to conversation. So are you actually trying to defend the idea that it's appropriate to unilaterally declare things 'wastes of resources' based entirely on your opinion? Are you saying shouting down people for asking for things they personally want in the game is good? Or did you bother to read the entirety of the conversation?
ah it doesn't matter who i am my name can be turdfurgeson.. bye bye

We

We

you insult other members by name and other reasons i don't have time to go into so you have been warned if not soon enough gone.
you insult other members by name and other reasons i don't have time to go into so you have been warned if not soon enough gone.
Warned? Cute. I've yet to insult anyone in this conversation. I point out flaws in ideas and epistemology, I rarely need to stoop to insults.

Well, new bacon try to refrain from multiposting in the future. You have an edit button. Please use it if you need to add info to a prior post. If you'd like to continue this discussion in the future and actually answer the questions that have been asked of you, feel free to let me know.
Warned? Cute. I've yet to insult anyone in this conversation. I point out flaws in ideas and epistemology, I rarely need to stoop to insults.

Well, ]new bacon try to refrain from multiposting in the future. You have an edit button. Please use it if you feel the need to add to a prior post. If you'd like to continue this discussion in the future and actually answer the questions that have been asked of you, feel free to let me know.
I haven't posted to Halowaypoint forum in quite sometime and the first post is responded by a condescending mod with a smug attitude because I'm a "Bacon" totally shutting out an opinion or mine with your troll responses.
Oh wow I feel so welcomed here.
Good Luck Mod.. Good Luck
Celestis wrote:
@lickmyb4c0n: I don't want you to get the idea that I brush all your arguments aside. In fact, I agree with you on 99% of everything you say: Priorities in development have been heavily skewed in recent years, the amount of actual game content is severely lacking and the content that we do get is unpolished and half--Yoinked!-. Because of that, I initially didn't even mean to join the argument, but I took issue with the way you phrased your arguments in particular.
Like this for example:
I'm sorry guys, but not only do I find that to be mismanagement of the Halo franchise and online MM environment, but I also find it very SAD that the community has come to this point... where less and less people are playing Halo for what Halo was designed to be, in it's default, competitive form.
Except it wasn't, and I already proved that. Halo was never designed to be competitive (until maybe H5G). CE was designed to be PvE. Halo 2 was designed to be PvE. That's not what the games ended up being, due to various problems in development, and you can very well make a case that this is exactly what made Halo so ridiculously popular. So yeah, competitive modes should definitely a priority focus in development. But the way you phrase it ("designed to be", etc.) is factually wrong.
Similarly, you don't seem to understand that people (like Comedic Hermit) don't disagree with your claim that the game is lacking but how you present that position:
that's why I come on here and say "we have way too many cosmetics!"
But you didn't. At least not in the first place. Your initial post specifically focused on Armor effects, deeming them "Just wasteful, unnecessary content... childish really, IMO. Especially Grunt Birthday..."
Again, I totally agree with the fact that cosmetics have been too much prioritized. We currently have 200+ helmets and armors with 175(?) of them being available at launch. (So only those actually took away development time and costs from other parts of the game.) But on the other hand, we have zero armor effects. Saying "No, don't put armor effects into the games because we already have too many helmets" is moronic, because even though both of these are cosmetics, they have nothing in common besides that. That's like shipping a game with 200 4v4 but not a single BTB map, because "we don't need more maps, we already have too many", despite the teo categories not serving the same purpose.
I don't even care for armor effects. I just drop by in this thread every once and so often because I still get likes for my sarcastic post on page one. But either way, nobody is asking for one hundred of them. Even fifty less helmets should clear enough "wasted ressources" to spend on maps and modes while still making it possible to include armor effects. Especially considering that almost all of them are already in the game: Grunt Birthday Party already exists as the eponymous skull in campaign. Inclement Weather is nothing but the effect that is applied to damaged vehicles. None of this must be designed from the ground up like armor permutations do. The scrips literally only need to be copypasted onto player models, maybe clean up the visuals a little bit, and you're done. You could probably do this in one afternoon...
Let me rephrase this bit that you had a problem with... think about what I'm saying... the CORE game. Halo at its CORE was designed to provide a certain experience. All I'm saying is that there is a (seemingly very tangible) lack of attention surrounding the CORE Halo experience. There is a lack of satisfying Arena support, by way of maps, game modes, etc. and an equally tangible lack of feedback coming in from the community, which is largely casual and doesn't hesitate to ask for more and more non-critical items for the the game, when it's absolutely NOT what the game needs. It just hardly seems like people like Halo for what it IS (or was) at its core anymore. That is what I'm saying... Think about it.

I just went to HCS Daytona... there were plenty of players there for the open tournament, the first couple of days... Great right? Championship Sunday rolls around, and the crowds were NOTHING like the MLG H3 days of old... You could see it on the stream too. Very sad. And yet, we have a company that likes to be shady with their PR and say that things are as successful as ever? Ehh... I'm not buying into it one bit.

Also, tell me what the problem is with this... You say you agree with my post and opinions but you wouldn't have otherwise said anything if you didn't disagree with this ONE aforementioned point? Why aren't we speaking out against this business model that 343/Microsoft has incorporated? Why aren't we posting our ideas and proposals/solutions? Also, there is a "like" post for every users' post that publicly displays to everyone, including devs, that view the forum... let's SHOW our agreement with ideas. Let's speak out. What are we afraid of? Quality and design integrity has noticeably suffered in the gaming industry... we want HALO, of all things, to continue to fall victim to this as well? As 343 comes out saying "ohh our REQ system is wildly successful!" Let me ask you this... If that is so, WHY would they ever change it then? And people just roll along with the business model as it stands, and we continue to get unsatisfying content?

How is it ever going to change?

EDIT:Also... and about the copy/paste armor effects... that's a good point, I agree with your sentiments here... but that's still an afternoon spent working on a useless, "fun" little feature where other issues and content could be address/developed. Add up a sizeable chunk of excess content, and suddenly you've got a lot of dev time thrown out of the window that maybe a team of ~6 people could've been reallocated to execute a far more important job... a job that would have provided some real longevity to the game experience and contributed far more to the sustainment of interests and genuine enjoyment of the game. But the question is, how MANY people truly enjoy the GAME for what it is anymore? Man... that's a tough one... nothing like what the series saw nearly a decade ago, I'd bet.
I think halo 5 doesn't need any armor effect right now as it already has camo speed and damage boosts.
You've confused two things. Armor effects were cosmetic items in Halo: Reach; camo, OS, and damage boost are power-ups.
also the armour mods we have are really good already. I think they should make one that gives you an extra boost
That'd be neat.
ya I got mixed up at the beginning :)
I mean it would be nice but running effect is dumb but I can see a jetpack and armor lock evade is basically dashing/using thrusters in halo 5 now. I would definitely like to see jetpack and armor lock oh and aswell as invisibility because the pick ups are just to longing and everyone focuses their gameplay on getting the pick up power ups.
Reach armour effects were nice. I wasn't a huge fan of them though, because when you equiped them you were basically saying. "Hey, enemies I'm right here, come and kill me!" But they were a fun edition.
The only effect I'd really be interested in, would be the flaming helmet one.
Just wasteful, unnecessary content... childish really, IMO. Especially Grunt Birthday...

I'd strongly prefer them not to return to Halo and 343 focus their efforts on producing a quality MP experience WHERE IT COUNTS...

It's the stuff like this that 343 needs to eliminate first from the game... additional dev costs for zero benefits. People need to realize that for the time a game is in development, the money spent on producing cosmetic items, assassinations, and armor effects, just eats away at the pot of resources, and effort/time. Nothing comes for free if you're the developer, so they really need to prioritize items that bring the most value to the player (Campaign, MP maps/modes, online/social features)... the MEAT of the game.

Anything that detracts from the design and development/polish from the critical aspects of the game is, more or less, wasteful... and while on a very minute, individual basis, it damages the quality of the end product in these more crucial areas.

Then you start adding everything up, countless armor sets, cosmetics/armor effects/assassination animations, and flopped ideas like Breakout and all of those in-game assets that the vast majority of players choose not to experience... that's A LOT of wasted development time/effort. Efforts that could've been better utilized in bettering other more successful areas of the game.
Was HCE-H3 boring? ...with next-to-zero to very minimal customization options?

Simply put, from a development standpoint, the game mattered more... and players remained interested. The problems with games these days, is that they put too much emphasis on microtransaction business models to rip more money from the players, and you get these "grindy" cosmetic RNG systems, where non of the content really matters, there isn't a real payoff, and because so much resources go into sustaining this business practices by way of continuous development on sell-able in-game items, there's less effort going towards the GOOD stuff... the maps, the game modes, the game EXPERIENCE. It suffers... It's an example of corporate greed coming in and harming the quality of the game.

People play Halo to play the GAME... or they should. If the game continues to suffer... the fanbase will lose interest and fizzle out, then nobody will be around to buy their REQ packs anymore. They need to find the correct balance... which is why if you're going to sell cosmetics, make them as CHEAP as possible, because there isn't any real payoff tied to them anyway. But if players need to look and feel special, weapon and armor skins are a very cheap way to go... there's no modeling involved, it's all a quickly put-together digital art-piece projected onto a weapon/character model. Very simple, very cost effective... and if you make them appealing to players, you can charge a premium. It gives players something they can see in-game and feel cool equipping... while making 343 some extra cash, at a higher profit margin. They could crack so many skins out at a high rate, the possibilities are endless... It could be great thing... then that added revenue could be used in producing more original DLC maps and content.

It's all about how those funds are managed and how they're utilized... they can do anything within the realm of their budget, so put it to use where it counts! INVEST in AAA design, but keep the REQ store where the non-critical items in the game are available, keep those costs down as MUCH as possible. That means eliminating the majority of additional armor development, assassinations (animations are costly for no added gameplay benefits), etc... I don't even use assassinations for example, they only limit you in-game and leave you vulnerable, the entertainment value is not worth potentially tarnishing your gameplay. They were always a cheesy addition anyway IMO, never a necessity to Halo being a good game... thus, wasted resource allocation.

It's SO important that Halo has a polished, well-designed multiplayer EXPERIENCE... one that keeps players engaged and looking forward to coming back again and again. Cosmetics are purely novelty items, and should never compromise the level of quality in the map pool and game mode offerings. In H5 though, this was a obvious occurrence. This must change going forward, or else we will continue to see a dwindling franchise. People want a good Halo GAME... not "Halo: Return of Cosmetics and REQ Points" because at the end of the day, if the GAME suffers and isn't fun for people, all of these cool little armor mods and custom player features/assassinations, and pure cosmetic content, offers nothing that would improve the game experience any further.

If the game sucks, it still sucks... but wait, "ohh, look at all these great cosmetics!" You see my point? That's not going to keep people playing the game or keep people's interest in the franchise. The game NEEDS to be good, first and foremost, and unfortunately (for some), that's going to mean de-emphasizing non-critical items quite a bit...
makes total sense, I agree, and as I said they do need to focus on maps, gameplay, weapons, all that stuff, but now it's a part of the series they can't take cosmetics out. it's simply too late, something I am, in a way, pleased about. I'll put this into simpler terms-
what 343's priorities should be;
1. making gameplay good.
2. cosmetics (but it still needs to be there, even if it should be No.2 in the list of priorities.)
I'm not saying MAKE 10,000 COSMETIC ARMOUR NOW, IT'S THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS, I'm simply saying that everyone enjoys having cosmetics, and though if it's a choice between cosmetics and gameplay we would all choose gameplay, armour effects would be a great addition.
perhaps have an option to turn them off, or to turn yours off if you don't want others to see you (having a big flaming target would not have a great effect in a competition(comedy drum noise in the background)). I do have to say, they made too many variants of the armour's though. I have at least three different master chief helmets, and the req system is a money grabbing microtransaction, yes.( I preferred reach's system.)
and so, I rest my case. :)

(edit)
here's an idea. how about have not too many cosmetics at launch, but a decent amount, and then with each update add more cosmetics. this would mean a focus on gameplay and, with time, lots of cosmetics too.
Right... but what what about the sub-par DLC maps and such? If map quality suffers to the point where they're just rehashing layouts and ideas with a few changes... where people are designing new armors, they should be utilizing that part of the budget for more developed map design and creating unique and equally satisfying critical content.

That's why I tend to suggest simply emphasizing weapon and armor skins for the REQ store. Have a relatively small pool of armor sets available, but allow people to customize them more in-depth. It gives people customization options at a low dev cost. It keeps (expensive) animators, programmers, and 3D design out of the picture with REQ's and more resources and efforts can be dedicated to the good stuff, ultimately resulting in a better player experience and there's greater added value to the game.
that's a great idea, though I'm not sure what you mean by sub-par DLC maps.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 25
  4. 26
  5. 27
  6. 28
  7. 29
  8. ...
  9. 66