Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Armor (Helmets included) in Halo 5

OP DashWolfrar

Armor in Halo 5 is a disappointing mess (in my opinion). I think that a lot of the designs in H5 look good and some i would even say some of the best looking armor I've seen. The problems i find with armor in H5 is the way it is acquired and how it allowed to be used. First of all the armor you have to get in a REQ pack and it takes no skill to get armor. I was playing HCP and i seen a person two levels higher than me with the Mark VI Satrap and he didn't have to work for that at all. In the old Halos you would see the armor you wanted and you would do all the requirements for it not just get lucky and open it in a REQ pack.The best part of Halo Reach was saving up your credits (also used as XP) for that armor you really wanted, and not opening up packs just to be disappointed because you got a piece of armor that looks like your person had a giant tumor growing out of their face. Then there is the point where you have to buy MCC to get any armor that you actually want AKA any classic 117 armor or noble team armor other than the commando. 343i has only made REQ packs to get money in their pockets its sad but its the truth. Another part of the armor system that is disappointing is the fact that you cant choose the armor you want. Let me rephrase this in every other halo you could choose what armor you want for each pad. Halo Reach you can choose your helmet and the different com types and equipment, then you have the choice of being able to have two different shoulder pads and two different knee pad. You were even able to have a robotic arm. You also got armor for completing the campaign on legendary. What happened to the customization in Halo. Now all you have is a helmet and a full set of armor that has no characterization to it at all. Even the emblems were customizable. The emblems in Reach had more customization's than the whole of H5. Halo has digressed in nearly every way since Reach. The campaign, customizations, difficulty, story, the only thing that got better was graphics and i don't even think that the graphics are even an improvement because Reaches graphics were dim and felt rugged and it actually went with the campaign. I got a little off track because I am still mad about a lot of things.
...Then there is the point where you have to buy MCC to get any armor that you actually want AKA any classic 117 armor or noble team armor other than the commando...
You don't have to buy MCC to get armour
stckrboy wrote:
...Then there is the point where you have to buy MCC to get any armor that you actually want AKA any classic 117 armor or noble team armor other than the commando...
Yeah. That, and the only armor MCC gives you is GEN1 Mark VI and Helioskrill, both of which are in the drop pool.

No idea where the Memories of Reach sets being tied to MCC came from.
stckrboy wrote:
Yeah. That, and the only armor MCC gives you is GEN1 Mark VI and Helioskrill, both of which are in the drop pool.

No idea where the Memories of Reach sets being tied to MCC came from.
Here let me rephrase this the likely hood of you getting the armor is extremely slim if you have a life and most people have it because they have MCC and not because they got it in a REQ pack.
I don’t think that the REQ system is a bad way of acquiring armour. You could argue that Halo Reach’s system was better, but you had to be a certain rank to buy those armours. You have the possibility to get any piece of armour that you want, at any rank in Halo 5.
I don’t think that the REQ system is a bad way of acquiring armour. You could argue that Halo Reach’s system was better, but you had to be a certain rank to buy those armours. You have the possibility to get any piece of armour that you want, at any rank in Halo 5.
The reason why Halo Reach had you be a certain rank to get armor is because a game that doesn't have reason to work for something doesn't make for a good game.
The reason why Halo Reach had you be a certain rank to get armor is because a game that doesn't have reason to work for something doesn't make for a good game.
I disagree. While I did like Reach's armor system, I literally don't care about the armor in Halo 5. I have my set I use and that's about it. I play for Arena, not player progression, and I think a lot of people feel the same way. I think that in itself is evidence that your point is moot.

I also don't really understand what you're getting at. Are you mad that players have the armor you want at a low level? I don't understand how tying the armor sets behind some sort of ranking system would improve the experience. Furthermore, If I had to pick one of the games that H5 felt most like, it would be Reach, because they both fall victim to the same issues. In fact, I was just playing Reach last night, and literally all of the gripes I have about H5 apply to Reach, just in different incarnations. For example, armor lock and ground pound both catering to casual, unskilled players in an attempt to flatten out the skill curve. They even feel very similar to play.