Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Armor Mod REQ requirement tweaks

OP eLantern

If a player has access to all the Armor Mods why would anyone choose to use the Grenade Expert mods? The Patrol Case mod is another fairly limited use mod too, but at least it's current cost isn't terribly out of line; however, with REQ stations refilling a player's reserve ammunition for loadout weapons I think a drop in cost could be warranted.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to reduce the REQ cost level of the Armor Mods I just spoke about down to 2. That way players are forced to make a decision at the 2nd REQ level whether to equip a mod that will grant them an extra Frag, Plasma, or Splinter grenade or to bolster their reserve ammunition. Currently, no Armor Mod can be equipped at REQ level 2 and I think this would be an interesting change for the game. Also, maybe consider tweaking the Patrol Case mod's secondary feature regarding REQ items such that it simply bolsters the amount of replenish-able reserve ammo in similar fashion to how it bolsters loadout reserve ammunition -- at least within the Firefight modes.

At the 3rd REQ level it'd be nice to see players get to chose to trade one of those quantity advantages in for a characteristic benefit such as the Reflect Enhancers mod (can reload while sprinting, quicker reloading, quicker weapon switching, and clamber faster) or Speed Booster mod (increases a players movement speed and jump height). Neither of these mods create too drastic of a benefit to the user within a one-on-one encounter; though, there will obviously be some advantage (perhaps more so for the Speed Booster if the user is good at strafing).

At the 4th REQ level players would have 3 choices to equip a benefit that increases their damage lethality: Death From Above mod (quicker and stronger Ground Pound plus longer and better stabilization), Grenadier mod (grenades cause more damage, have a bigger blast area, and you take less damage from explosives), or Increased Strength mod (greater melee and Spartan Charge damage plus greater Spartan Charge range). These mods grant an obvious lethality advantage.

At the 5th REQ level players could choose between the Upgraded Thrusters mod (faster sprint speed, health can recharge while sprinting, and quicker thruster cooldown) or Auto-Medic mod (speeds up the shield's cooldown and recharge rate + health recharge rate too). These two mods provide greater survivability to the user within an encounter (the Auto-Medic mod may require some ducking behind cover) and the Upgraded Thruster mod even increases the chance of escaping an undesired encounter.

At the 6th REQ level players are again faced with 3 choices: Advanced Sensors mod (increased motion tracker range, undetectable by regular motion trackers when not sprinting, and tracker is visible while smart-linked), Upgraded Shields mod (stronger shielding, can survive most sniper headshots and bayonet melees), or Wheelman mod (stackable damage resistance for a vehicle and 33% better EMP recovery). These three mods grant obviously big tactical advantages.

Thoughts?
I would love this since the only one I use is Patrol Case when I play Firefight. All the rest, well I it would also be great to change things up a bit. So many of the Warzone items are redundant. It's like they added things simply for the sake of having more.

I would much rather have the ability to "favorite" a certain loadout so I don't always have to scroll through everything to get what I want. There's only a couple different iterations that I use.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
I would love this since the only one I use is Patrol Case when I play Firefight. All the rest, well I it would also be great to change things up a bit. So many of the Warzone items are redundant. It's like they added things simply for the sake of having more.
I feel it'd just be nice to have a reason to potentially make use of any or all of the Armor Mods. For instance at REQ level 2 I could contemplate actually equipping any of the grenade expert mods or weigh that against the desire to bolster my reserve ammunition.

Depending on the playstyle a player would be using and more particularly the weapons they choose to make use of I could see them (including myself) selecting either of the REQ level 3 armor mods I list above.

Again, based on a player's loadout, tactical approach, and playstyle I could see reasons for selecting any of the three options at REQ level 4. For instance: if a player wanted to wreck havoc with melee weapons and play a style where they are constantly up-close and in the face of enemies the Increased Strength mod makes some sense, if a player wanted to loadout with explosives and/or their playstyle incorporated the use of grenades often then the Grenadier mod would make some sense, and if a player prefered to hold the high ground and/or snipe from distance then perhaps the Death From Above mod might makes some sense.

This concept goes on for the 5th and 6th level REQs too in that the choice is more or less dictated by the player's desired playstyle and the advantages are not out of line with regards to the cost levels.
Quote:
I would much rather have the ability to "favorite" a certain loadout so I don't always have to scroll through everything to get what I want. There's only a couple different iterations that I use.
I've always been a fan of the idea of favoriting certain pre-established loadouts for quicker selecting. I wouldn't necessarily say I'd rather have that instead of the Armor Mod adjustments as I'd equally like to have both changes incorporated, but I was particularly addressing the Armor Mod adjustment with this thread.