Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Armor: Quantity vs Quality

OP IEpic IMurph

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
To me, Armor is a great way (if not the only way) for someone to personalize their Halo experience. You can be a huge tanky looking sog, or an agile looking assassin. But lately armor customization has become stale. Too many pieces to choose from with little effort put into their design.

What I'm getting at is 343i should make less armor pieces but put more thought, effort, and love into them. If I were to think of a sweet spot for the number of armor pieces I would say more than Halo 3, less than Halo Reach. Then later, if 343i so desires, they could introduce more in DLC. This could create revenue for 343i and cooler looking armor for the community.
Halo Reach definitely had both quality and quantity, so there's the proof that we can indeed have both.

That being said, I would very much rather see 343i give us a Halo 3 amount of high quality armour than what they did in Halo 4, which was to give us a plethora of less than desirable quality sets. In Halo 3 and Reach, I would often spend so much time just switching around my armour pieces in order to find out which combination works out for me, as everything I would put together looked cool. No matter what I chose, every permutation fit in with all of the others, since they shared a common design philosophy.

In Halo 4, however, there are few armours that I would ever consider using, and even among those, it's a chore to match them up into a set that looks good. I mean, I absolutely love the Scanner helmet, but I also quite enjoy my Mark V chest plate. If I try to use the two together, it looks just plain wrong. The Mark V is sleek and simple, while the Scanner helmet (and every other piece of armour in the game, mind you) has a ton of unneeded details. You put the two together, and it just looks odd... Same goes for, say, the Recon chest piece, Venator helmet and Contoured forearms. None of the pieces look like they're made by the same species, nor do they fit even remotely well together. And don't even get me started on the skins... They make the whole armour look like a mess of colours...

343i definitely needs to tighten up their armour designs, there's no doubt about that.
Canon-wise does it even make sense to have that much armour? Why would the UNSC need to manufacture that many different types of armour. The Spartan IIs all wore the Mark series and they did alright. 343i did a good job of clarifying the purpose of all the armour in Reach but I haven't seen the same for halo 4. Plus a lot of it just seems impractical.

definitely quality over quantity I think Reach did a good job with the armour.
REACH had Quality, H4 had Quantity.

I liked most of REACH Armour, I hate most of H4.
We'll probably have the same amount of armor throughout future Halo games. But what I want is further customization rather than skins. Like three/four tailors available for unlock on each variant. As to experiment with combos at an attractive extent.

UA attachments should be a commonality.

I'd also like prototype designs to make a come back- perhaps through said tailored components?
Halo 3 had quality. Good looking armor but few options.
Reach had both, with a wide variety of good looking and functional looking armor.
Halo 4 had quantity only, with a lot of armor, but most of them look like fancy power ranger armor, and many have illogically placed visors. The plastic-like textures make this even worse.
Both, please. H4 had quantity but not much in the way of quality -- the pieces were indistinct, the skins overbearing, and the colors too hot.

Reach did a few things correctly, namely the colors of the armor/underarmor, the variety of the shapes and sizes, and the distinct features (bandoliers, belts, machetes, etc.)

One thing about quantity -- if Halo 5 gives us quantity (and i'm sure it will), it needs to bring back Reach's fly-out menus. Show us the high-level stuff in the first tier, and then let us see the variants in a second tier. One long list, especially in the tiny window they provide, was an absolutely terrible UX decision.
Honestly I liked a lot of 4's armor my issue is how most of the helmets were........erm.......less then desirable.
I'd love Halo: Reach-style ODST and Mk V armour, please and thank you. That's all I need! :)

Oceanic was kinda neat, I guess... in a weird way.
Our lives are not our own. We are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.
I liked Halo 4's armory a lot, but I do prefer quality over quantity.

I like the idea of DLC armor. Maybe sneaking it in with each map pack?
Thought of a joke.

If I preferrd quantity, would I not be on a COD forum!

Ha, high five?

.....no?....

Okay.....
Quote:
One thing about quantity -- if Halo 5 gives us quantity (and i'm sure it will), it needs to bring back Reach's fly-out menus. Show us the high-level stuff in the first tier, and then let us see the variants in a second tier. One long list, especially in the tiny window they provide, was an absolutely terrible UX decision.
I agree completely! The armour selection in Reach was so very well organized and easy to navigate, and it felt smooth to work with. In Halo 4, all you have are overlong lists that take forever to go through, and it isn't organized in any meaningful way. Having all of the to-be-unlocked armours at the bottom is highly annoying, since you have to shift through the whole list of armours just to check out what you'll be unlocking soon, or the requirements for certain pieces.

In Halo Reach, if I want to see a subset of Air Assault armour, I just go to Air Assault, and it gives me the options. If I want to see an alternate skin for Air Assault in Halo 4, I have to go through everything, and while holding down the thumbstick, I'll undoubtedly accidentally pass by the alternate skin, then have to slowly scroll back up in order to not miss it. It's long and annoying.
Well, who doesn't prefer quality?

But it isn't like quality, speaking in the sense of design and individualism, and quantity don't go together.
Hence I would prefer to see both.
You just reminded me of another bugaboo in H4's armory menu.

Visiting a menu -- say, helmets -- shows your currently selected choice at top, with Recruit immediately below it. It's out of the order originally presented to us.

I think any menu should show your choice in the order of the wider menu, not take it out of order and append it to the top. Thoughts?
Quote:
You just reminded me of another bugaboo in H4's armory menu.

Visiting a menu -- say, helmets -- shows your currently selected choice at top, with Recruit immediately below it. It's out of the order originally presented to us.

I think any menu should show your choice in the order of the wider menu, not take it out of order and append it to the top. Thoughts?
That is not necessarily something I would mind but what really annoys me in H4 is that you cannot easily compare a current piece with a new piece. You always have to scroll up and down through the list because once you finally find the piece you want to compare you already have forgotten how the other (current) looked like or you are simply not sure which you like more.
how about loads of quality armor. Dont get me wrong most of them looked aweful on Halo 4 unless you bought the DLC but I think more would be better and also if they brought out a community Spartan shop where people could download what people have made with there colours and stuff. its just a thought but maybe it could be worth a try p.s Halo 5 will be AWESOME !!!!!!!
Prefer quantity. The quality of armor is a matter of opinion and the change in art style had an effect as well.
If they were to bring back the default Halo Reach armor thats all I'd use.
Why not have both? I'd love a huge amount of quality customization. There should also be an emblem creator on there to. Wah wah Call of Duty I don't care, It'd be nice to create emblems of our own.
We need something like Halo 3 and Reach.
Halo 3 had high quality armor and made up for the lack of different armor variants with different attachments, which Reach did well too. Reach had high quality armor that had chest attachments.
When I say attachments I mean like the Scout Chest in Halo 3, but under neath was still the same default armor. I really loved that in reach and 3.
In Halo 5 there should be few armor variations and more attachments

Example:
Armory
Default Armor (MK V, MK Vi, MK Vii)
Chest attachments
Helmets
Shoulders
Biceps
Forearm
Cods Pieces or Halo 4 style
Wrist attachments
Shins