Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Ask a question about Campaign HUD design!

OP B is for Bravo

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
Hello friends! If you were directed here from the recent community update, feel free to drop your questions for the art team below. If you've instead stumbled upon this thread during your daily perusal of the forums, I've put all of the info you need below. Read on!
--

Recently, Josh Holmes talked Campaign Co-op in a new developer blog series, and one of the new features that was discussed was character-specific Heads-Up-Displays (HUDs). Here’s a quick refresher on the design of the unique HUDs:

These design cues carry into the play experience through the look and feel of the Heads-Up-Display for each character. From a first person perspective, it’s challenging to convey the differences between characters. Having unique HUDs for each of our eight characters allows us to convey a sense of identity and personality through the visual design.

Each character’s HUD has been painstakingly designed by our artists to reflect the visual language of that particular Spartan. So Locke’s HUD has aggressive lines that follow the curvature of his visor while Linda’s enhanced optics are represented in muted tones that reflect her armor palette.

We’re sure you have questions about the character HUD design - how they came to be, the visual language of each, and more. But, rather than have me guess at what you want to hear, we thought it’d be much more appropriate to have you ask the artists themselves.

If you’ve got questions for the team who crafted the HUDs you’ll soon be shooting through, drop ‘em on the forums here, and we’ll get them answered in a future update. Don’t be shy now!
How do you decide what color the HUDS will be for each character? Do other characters have a color that isn't blue or gold? Also, why did you decide to add chromatic aberration to the HUDs?
Will campaign armors used in multiplayer share the same HUD, for example will centurion armor in multiplayer have Fred's HUD? Love the new designs so far
M1TCH720 wrote:
Will campaign armors used in multiplayer share the same HUD, for example will centurion armor in multiplayer have Fred's HUD? Love the new designs so far
That's what I'm wondering too. But I think it will only be a Warzone thing, if the HUD customization is in multiplayer at all.
I really like the idea of giving the different characters seperate HUDs with a unique visual design. I am curious if the different HUDs also include different audio ques for when the shields go down and for when they are regenerating?
What is the likelihood of allowing for customization, or being able to pick a new HUD for Warzone, Arena, etc.
Which HUD is your personal favorite and why?

On average, how many different iterations did a character's HUD go through before being finalized?

Which character's HUD was the most difficult to conceptualize and/or create?
Is the HUD design a direct correlation to the armor design, will it follow the helmet contours exactly?

Will HUD's translate over to multiplayer as another customizable item?

Will we see snippets of lore such as acknowledge light from team members?
Is the chromatic aberration effect mostly seen around the radar in newer screenshots something that is always visible, and what was the reasoning behind adding the controversial effect?
Are we going to be able to customize the interior of our helmets?
Is the HUD going to change per helmet we put on in Multiplayer
Are we going to be able to customize any colors?

Or, is multiplayer just going to be a set HUD that doesn't' change?

I don't really NEED these things to be happy with Multiplayer, just asking questions.
According to this tweet, MP will not have HUD customization.
https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/620722342356889600

Of course this was on July 14th. The real question is: can we get HUD customization if we ask enough times? (At least for warzone only. Pretty please?)
Oh well, I had to ask anyway.
MPMixx wrote:
According to this tweet, MP will not have HUD customization.https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/620722342356889600

Of course this was on July 14th. The real question is: can we get HUD customization if we ask enough times? (At least for warzone only. Pretty please?)
Does each character have a different coloured HUD, or do some of the colours double up?

Can you tell us what colour each character has?
Are the HUDs going to remain static like they were in every Halo but 4, or is there a chance that the individually-shifting elements whenever a player action is performed (such as turning the camera) may return?
How will the "Blind" skull affect those black edges on the HUD representing the edges of the visor?
When a character's shield is depleted or recharging, will they make different sounds as well?
Will Buck's HUD draw inspiration from the HUD used in Halo 3: ODST?
When aiming with Smart Scope, will the specific weapon effects (eg the lines around the BR scope) be the same colour as the characters HUD?
Will Buck's HUD have a nod towards VISR mode from ODST?
Will the crack in the glass of Master Chief's helmet seen in trailers for Halo 5, effect the HUD?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6