Battle Rifle Tuning for BTB and Warzone

OP l3ackdraft

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7
This should also affect how the BR is used(rather not used) in competitive play now. The BR used to be a weapon pickup advantage. I dont think any competitive player would even touch the BR as it is now if it was still in arena play.
I would like to eventually see the BR takes its rightful place as the main weapon again. Doubtful to see in H5 now, but maybe infinite. Not sure I can take another game if the pistol is the main.
I know why you think the BR should be seen as the main utility weapon, but it's a bit of a skewed perspective.

• Halo: Combat Evolved, the original Halo game, didn't posses a Battle Rifle (BR). The default loadout for it was the automatic MA5B Assault Rifle (AR) and the precision M6D Magnum. The considerable effectiveness and lethality of the M6D Magnum clearly made it the primary utility weapon regulating the automatic AR as a secondary choice. The M6D was so powerful that it essentially eliminated any purpose for anything, but power (1SK) weapons.
  • Halo 2 introduced us to the BR, but even then the BR55 wasn't the default loadout in most modes. The dual-wield-able automatic M7 SMG and precision M6C Magnum were in fact the default loadouts for the majority of modes other than [maybe] Big Team [at least eventually]. Competitive complaints helped not only lead to a sandbox title update, but the earliest complaints also helped adopt the BR as a potential primary loadout option for modes [like] Big Team and beyond; especially, for the quickly escalating "pro" scene. In other words, it was the lack of effectiveness of the dual-wield-able SMG and especially the precision Magnum as loadout options that helped allow the BR55 to find considerable acceptance (by the vast majority of players) as the game's most practical precision loadout option.
  • Halo 3 also didn't initially adopt the BR as its default loadout weapon in most modes. The BR55HB was used as the primary loadout weapon for Big Team and a few other modes; specifically, MLG and select "BR start" variants. Otherwise, the more common loadout that was featured in the game included the automatic MA5C AR (which thanfully returned an AR to the franchise) and the dual-wield-able M6G Magnum. It was again the lack of effectiveness of the game's precision Magnum that helped spur considerable acceptance of the BR55HB as a more ideal primary precision utility weapon, but also likely due to the popularity of the BR within Halo 2.
  • Halo 3: ODST (spin-off) featured an M7S SMG and M6C/SOCOM Magnum as its' primary loadout weapons. It didn't even include a BR that could be used. By removing the dual-wielding aspect the Magnum could once again be designed to reflect more of an effective precision utility role.
  • Halo: Reach introduced us to the Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) in place of the BR (which was absent). Reach also kept dual-wielding out; the developers never really returned to dual wielding other than in an Anniversary title (H2A). This game didn't really seem to have a truly standard loadout as players were given loadout choices with Armor Abilities often dictating what loadout weaponry people received. Originally most loadouts featured the automatic MA37 AR, precision M392 DMR, or M45 shotgun paired with the precision M6G Magnum as the secondary, but after the (game saving) title update the M6G wasn’t really paired with the precision DMR anymore because it became too effective as a secondary precision option. In other words, the Magnum was once again made to be an effective primary precision option even if it wasn’t necessarily featured or promoted as such.
  • Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary uses a modified Reach sandbox. And once again (appropriate to the original) we were given a primary loadout featuring an automatic AR and a highly effective plus incredibly lethal utility precision Magnum (the M6G was modified to mimic the M6D).
  • Halo 4 took inspiration from both Reach and the Call of Duty series to allow players to create their own loadout classes; however, the precision M6H Magnum was regulated to being a secondary precision option only. It's effectiveness was designed with that role in mind. Instead the DMR and BR were designed to fulfill that primary precision role. However, the sandbox received a badly needed update because the BR was completely overshadowed by the DMR (at least initially) and the AR was fairly useless as a primary option. Later in Halo 4’s primary life-cycle some of the modes adopted the Reach-like loadout choice option, but the M6H Magnum’s designed role as a secondary precision kept it's effectiveness fairly limited. This secondary M6H Magnum was still noticeably more effective than the secondary (H2) M6C and (H3) M6G, but that has more to do with the fact that they were dual-wield-able.
  • Halo 2 Anniversary introduced an AR to the classic title in order to help solve some of its primary loadout issues. This game also (at least originally) featured loadout choices similar in style to Reach, but I haven't played it enough recently (post-update) to know whether or not that's been removed. I believe BR and/or AR starts are fairly common place now; however, some of those Reach-like loadout options would restrict you to dual-wield-able choices such as: SMG starts, Magnum starts, or Plasma Rifle starts. Because of the inadequacy of the dual-wield-able precision M6C Magnum as a utility precision loadout weapon the BR55 remains the title’s best choice. Worth mentioning that the anniversary H2 M6C is a little more effective and lethal in comparison to the classic H2 M6C.
  • Halo 5 returned the franchise to several of its roots. A big one was getting back to having a set loadout that everyone uses. And another one was that the primary loadout featured an automatic AR (MA5D) and a primary precision utility Magnum (M6H); though, this time around the Magnum wasn't significantly over or under powered. Plus, I suppose another might be the return of the BR (BR85) as the primary precision utility weapon for the Big Team environment despite its current effectiveness being less than ideal within the context of the game’s precision sandbox. This title received a sandbox update because the BR was considered too effective in its current state to be a loadout weapon which was something the team was experimenting with. Also. most precision rifles were, in many ways, pure upgrades to the Magnum and the AR was incredibly effective while requiring little skill to use. No doubt the current sandbox is in a much better place even though there are a few adjustments that could still be made to further improve it; specifically, an adjustment to the BR in order to give it a more defined purpose within the sandbox.
I would argue that Halo 5 has nailed the "rightful place" aspect damn near perfectly; though, with the need for a few more minor weapon adjustments it could actually be perfect.
eLantern wrote:
  • The dual wield-able automatic M7 SMG and precision M6C Magnum were in fact the default loadouts for the majority of modes other than Big Team.
I believe the SMG was also the primary in BTB and then eventually got changed to the BR.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
eLantern wrote:
  • The dual wield-able automatic M7 SMG and precision M6C Magnum were in fact the default loadouts for the majority of modes other than Big Team.
I believe the SMG was also the primary in BTB and then eventually got changed to the BR.
I think you might be right. Now that you mention it, I do somewhat recall SMG starts on BTB matches within the very early days of that title (Halo 2).
Also if 343 has Req cards for Infinite my advice is whenever a tuning takes place they simply create a new card for the newly tuned weapon. Like basically creating a new Req card for the OT BR. Then whenever the weapon tuning goes live it is easier to revert weapons back in certain gametypes without messing with others. It was like Josh stated above the potential compromise it is to not have a full tweaked update but perhaps changed the load out for BTB only. If a new card was created every time a weapon was tuned it would be easier to create hot fixes for certain game types based on community feedback. Basically the masses will always provide for more interesting feedback. As much as I can pretend to know a fair amount on how weapons should play I am nothing compared to the community as a whole. Also the diehards from those game types as a collective are very powerful advocates for positive change.
I don't see anything wrong with the battle rifle
I would agree; except, its hip-fire Red-Reticle-Range (RRR) should NOT be less than the standard Magnum. In fact, I personally think it should be greater, but I'd be happy with it at least being the same which is made possible with the Long-Barrel variant which also boosts its ADS RRR. With the current hip-fire RRR of the H5BR matching that of the LightRifle (LR) it's just about completely overshadowed by every precision weapon in just about every way and this renders it fairly useless. It should have an actual role and fit within the sandbox other than simply being the primary precision loadout for the Big Team environment.
Well you didn't start playing until March 2018 so you dont have a previous version of the BR to compare it to.
Just replace it with the H2BR or BR(Stabilization Jets).
If any of you support H5's BTB being kept a permanent playlist instead of becoming a rotational one I'd recommend saying as much within the 343i Feedback Thread HERE and perhaps playing as much BTB instead of BT Super Fiesta from now through the Xmas break.
Replace it with the H2BR and all is good :).
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I'd love to see that... The only problem being is, then they'll nerf it and make it just as useless... lol.
BadDogg55 wrote:
I'd love to see that... The only problem being is, then they'll nerf it and make it just as useless... lol.
True that.
Well this went nowhere. I can't help but notice BTB fiesta is what happened instead of a BTB refresh or BR balance. I also want to point out how writing anything that isn't positive is flagged and gets you banned so everything here will be objective and true. Is this actually a conversation? or just a void. Fiesta BTB is the opposite of a BTB refresh. and it just takes away from the core experience of BTB because its easier to find games in. The Matchmaking in BTB has limited our fireteams to 2-5 players because mmr prevents us from matching games. We spend most of our gaming nights in the Lobby now. We in the BTB community have boiled down to a pretty small group with very familiar gamertags at this point, heck even our alts know our alts. I have been playing Risen, Recurve, Viking, and these same maps for over a year now. Please do something, anything. I love this game and community, but I do not love you 343. You are like my sisters boyfriend, we can tolerate each other, but I generally don't trust you with what I love. Just put the stabilized jet br in, heck put the voids tear in on every map, just DO SOMETHING.
Well this went nowhere. I can't help but notice BTB fiesta is what happened instead of a BTB refresh or BR balance. I also want to point out how writing anything that isn't positive is flagged and gets you banned so everything here will be objective and true. Is this actually a conversation? or just a void. Fiesta BTB is the opposite of a BTB refresh. and it just takes away from the core experience of BTB because its easier to find games in. The Matchmaking in BTB has limited our fireteams to 2-5 players because mmr prevents us from matching games. We spend most of our gaming nights in the Lobby now. We in the BTB community have boiled down to a pretty small group with very familiar gamertags at this point, heck even our alts know our alts. I have been playing Risen, Recurve, Viking, and these same maps for over a year now. Please do something, anything. I love this game and community, but I do not love you 343. You are like my sisters boyfriend, we can tolerate each other, but I generally don't trust you with what I love. Just put the stabilized jet br in, heck put the voids tear in on every map, just DO SOMETHING.
DISPELLED
The posts that get flagged are incoherent rants and thoughtless additions to the topic, usually contributed by uneducated teenagers who act like they lost a child when the BR was changed.

This might get flagged, too, but I felt it was necessary to clarify what the mods have to sift through in order to keep the forums a place for clean, meaningful discussions.
Btw, congrats on being one of the top 100 MMR players within the BTB playlist.
Simple fix, don't have 10 different variants of the same weapon.... Bring back the Halo 2 BR in all its glory. Halo 1 had the pistol which is okay but everyone remembers Halo 2 and that's where the game took off. Be more inclined to Halo 2 if we want a good game or good BTB because in Halo 2.... ALL I EVER PLAYED was BTB with my trusty Sniper Rifle and BR. I loved it. I agree with the OP. How I remember sitting back and sniping people and when they got to slightly far and medium range.... I opened up with my BR and mowed people down. Now I'm getting slapped in the face by a pistol that I cannot use to save my life with..
The posts that get flagged are incoherent rants and thoughtless additions to the topic, usually contributed by uneducated teenagers who act like they lost a child when the BR was changed.

This might get flagged, too, but I felt it was necessary to clarify what the mods have to sift through in order to keep the forums a place for clean, meaningful discussions.
Not true. The mods go above and beyond their job description.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7