Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Boss Weaknesses

OP Freeland7

This is mostly for people trying to get 152 by playing MWZFF, but it seems like more people don’t know about boss weaknesses than people that do. Here’s what I find kills some bosses the fastest.

• For Warden Eternal, normal fire with scourge of fire does a ton of damage to the normal variant, and any tank or strong vehicle will deal a bunch of damage to the legendary and mythic ones. If you’re planning to use the answer or a rocket launcher against him, get in a wraith. It does more damage and has armor.
  • For knight bosses, anything with kinetic bolts or hard light should do the trick. If it’s in one of the later rounds, a vehicle or binary rifle is good.
  • For soldier commandos, a vehicle or EMP works. Gravity hammers stun them, but your chances of dying are very high. If it’s in a building, I recommend a rocket launcher or kinetic bolt weapon.
  • For hunters in the final round, loathsome thing to the back is devastating. Of course, this is very risky, even with overshields. If you don’t want to get up close and personal, high five, SPNKR EX, and white scar charges do decent damage.
  • For all grunt goblins, their shield can be depleted with any plasma weapon or a sentinel beam. After the shield is down, shoot the grunt inside in the head with a precision weapon. It should die in one shot.
  • Phaetons are weak to Spartan lasers.
  • Wraiths are weak to Spartan lasers, Rocket launchers, and anything that has anti-vehicle properties. Shots to the core do increased damage.
I think I covered the major bosses, but I’m sure I missed some. If there’s a boss you struggle with I’ll let you know what I know, or someone else will.

The weakness of all soldiers is right in the middle of the chest. Just wanted to point that out because I had no idea until recently.
Round 3 and 4 knights go down super quickly with about 6-8 repeated supercombines. For that, you'll need the needler hog or Suban or maybe double wielding two needler REQs.

For Wardens, Hunters, Knights, and Goblins, if you don't want to go in a vehicle, please please please
Quote:
please
please consider running circles around the boss so that you can expose the weak spot for your teammates in vehicles to target. If you are proficient at Spartan abilities, you can easily survive for over a minute versus a goblin or warden. Hunters and Knights maybe not. This speeds up the boss kills considerably. If you refuse to go in a vehicle for whatever reason, make yourself useful by doing this rather than shooting with loadout weapons from afar.

If the grunt goblin's nose is damaged, there's a chance you can one hit with sniper if you align your bullet to penetrate nose + grunt inside. Surprisingly, the cockpit shield can still be intact, which was a shocker to me when it happened. Even if you don't manage to deal the one-hit kill, the nose being exposed deals critical damage to any weapon that hits it, accelerating the goblin kill. The back of the goblin is also a critical hit, as well.
Grunt Goblins are the last comm I need in all of H5 and I am currently on Level 4. I can not for the life of me get plasma weapons to pop the dome, perhaps I should try with the sentinel beam.
Grunt Goblins are the last comm I need in all of H5 and I am currently on Level 4. I can not for the life of me get plasma weapons to pop the dome, perhaps I should try with the sentinel beam.
The sentinel beam always works but you have to be accurate with it or you’ll run out of energy. The two plasma weapons that I find work the best are spitfire, a plasma pistol req, and sorrow of teash, a brute plasma rifle req. The standard fire for spitfire shoots multiple plasma pistol shots in a small spread.
AA Wraiths were th trick for me (on Heroic Firefight) using them vs Goblins got me a ton of kills
Consider sentinel beam and Dmg Boost I as well (8 REQ) if you want a bit more agility but want the sentinel beam to "last" longer
Regarding the Grunt Mech Canopy, Beam Rifle Delta will take 4 Shots to take down the shield protecting the grunt

But that’s if you want to waste a Delta on him
Regarding the Grunt Mech Canopy, Beam Rifle Delta will take 4 Shots to take down the shield protecting the grunt

But that’s if you want to waste a Delta on him
I got 12 on reserve so may as well put them to some good use.
MorseyBaby wrote:
AA Wraiths were th trick for me (on Heroic Firefight) using them vs Goblins got me a ton of kills
Good to know, Heroic FF may be the trick as I have been doing Mythic so far and I am lucky if I can get the final hit 1/10 times.
Im grinding out MWFF at the minute, thx for the info :)
It's a commendation that you will get sooner or later as long as you dedicate enough time either player (Heroic) Warzone Firefight or Mythic Warzone Firefight. I got mine by using the Scorpion against the Grunt Mech and I have gotten few additional Grunt Mechs (probably a lot) in approximately 1600 Mythic Warzone Firefight games since I completed the commendation.
Any extra advice on how to kill the grunt once the Canopy is down?

I feel like I am shooting him in the head but it never registers as a headshot, repeated shots have resulted in me getting the kill twice now but that's out of approx 25 mech bosses. I got a nornfang out when I was getting really desperate and 6 shots to what I thought was the grunts head failed to do it so I am fairly confident tI am missing the actual place to aim as I have seen people get the instant kill the moment the Canopy is down.

I feel like I am shooting him in the head but it never registers as a headshot, repeated shots have resulted in me getting the kill twice now but that's out of approx 25 mech bosses. I got a nornfang out when I was getting really desperate and 6 shots to what I thought was the grunts head failed to do it so I am fairly confident tI am missing the actual place to aim as I have seen people get the instant kill the moment the Canopy is down.
I highly recommend any battle rifle, but I would rather take the normal one just because you’re more likely to hit if you miss the first shot. This is because it fires slower than the Halo 2 battle rifle. If you’re having trouble getting a good angle, let him look at someone else before trying to shoot. You can also try getting a headshot when he does the needle storm.
Freeland7 wrote:

I highly recommend any battle rifle, but I would rather take the normal one just because you’re more likely to hit if you miss the first shot. This is because it fires slower than the Halo 2 battle rifle. If you’re having trouble getting a good angle, let him look at someone else before trying to shoot. You can also try getting a headshot when he does the needle storm.
Great advice, thanks!

At least one of the times that I got the final shot I know that the Mech was firing his arm cannon at another spartan so perhaps thats the trick, its definetly easier to tell which part is the head when its not contrasted by the backdrop of the canopy. Needle storm always feels risky but at this point I got nothing to lose trying so may as well do something brave lol.

If you can use the Halo 2 BR that would be best. Then you're kind of aiming near the lower - front part of the opening. It works best if you can shoot him on it's side rather than facing him.

Also for your op when trying to drop his shields, my choice of weapons are the beam rifle (Beam Rifle Delta will melt the shields), the sentinel beam, and plasma pistol if my reqs are low

If you can use the Halo 2 BR that would be best. Then you're kind of aiming near the lower - front part of the opening. It works best if you can shoot him on it's side rather than facing him.

Also for your op when trying to drop his shields, my choice of weapons are the beam rifle (Beam Rifle Delta will melt the shields), the sentinel beam, and plasma pistol if my reqs are low
spartan lasers and brute plasma rifles also work well