Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Bright side to reduced armor customization?

OP BURL KNiVE5

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I came up with a personal bright side to reduced armor customization that led me to an idea/theory. I say Idea because I came up with it on my own, but theory because 343 may have come up with it before me and have plans on implementing it--but I'm managing my expectations by not getting my hopes up.

Like so many here on Waypoint, I have a gigantic nerd-on for anything Halo. Including the action figures. Also like so many here on Waypoint, I consider Reach to have the best options in terms of armor customization. I liked my Spartan from Reach so much that I wanted an action figure of him, but since mine used components from several different armors and Halo action figures always come in full sets, I had to buy several different figures, disassemble them and reassemble them in the style of my personal Spartan. It worked great and he looks amazing driving my buddy's Spartan (that I was able to assemble from leftover parts) around on a mongoose (we played a lot of rocket race together).
The good news with Halo 5's customization is that I (and anyone else as geeky as me) will have to buy a maximum of 2 action figures to make their Spartan.

But then I had a realization. This whole time we've been thinking that armor customization was reduced because of the new req system, or so that 343 could give us more armor permutations to choose from. What if they reduced out options to body, helmet, skin, primary color, skin color, and visor color so that it's easier for them to sell us action figures of our personal Spartan?
Think about it. Log on to Waypoint, got to the "Shop" select "Custom Action Figure" choose your body, helmet, skin, primary color, skin color, and visor color and then pay (and knowing me, I would pay a lot).

What do you think? Am I on to something? If you don't think 343 has this planned already, should they do it? Could be a great way to make up for all the money they aren't making selling DLC maps.
Hey there, I really like your idea! I'm not so much into this whole action figure thing, but if I could get my own Spartan (especially my reach one) I would pay a serious amount of $...

But as awesome and easy to realize your idea seems to be, I don't think it will happen because the production of such figures is only rentable if they are mass produced which isn't possible when everyone has it's own Spartan made of a great amount of possible combinations... But I could be wrong here as I don't work in this branch.

But hey when 3D printers are more common in a few years you will be able to scan your Spartan and print an action figure of it (:
Personally, I think they are limiting it to just body and helmet so they can have more artistic freedom. As in, not having to worry about if every piece looks right mixed or if a certain piece clips into a different piece of armor it wasn't designed to go with.
This is you.
You didn't choose that Killers song, and for that I thank you.
Hey there, I really like your idea! I'm not so much into this whole action figure thing, but if I could get my own Spartan (especially my reach one) I would pay a serious amount of $...

But as awesome and easy to realize your idea seems to be, I don't think it will happen because the production of such figures is only rentable if they are mass produced which isn't possible when everyone has it's own Spartan made of a great amount of possible combinations... But I could be wrong here as I don't work in this branch.

But hey when 3D printers are more common in a few years you will be able to scan your Spartan and print an action figure of it (:
Yeah, it would definitively be more of a 3D printer thing, and would have to be pretty pricey to be worth it.
It's possible you're right. But I don't know that selling action figures was more important to 343 than the integrity of a much and long loved player tool.
I think it's just side perspective. They probably just wanted more free space to work with other things.

It is a plus though, I admit. I've always liked the game authentic action figures.
Perhaps if not action figures because it is more production, maybe 3d printed?
You'll have less pieces to customize but more pieces to choose from. I think it's a good idea. Besides when was the last time you could notice the difference between Spartan's legs or what ammo pouch they had on their leg in Halo: Reach?
DSight wrote:
You'll have less pieces to customize but more pieces to choose from. I think it's a good idea. Besides when was the last time you could notice the difference between Spartan's legs or what ammo pouch they had on their leg in Halo: Reach?
Never did. But I ALWAYS noticed when someone was wearing prefect armor in Halo 4. Its just so.. different
DSight wrote:
Yeah. It's pretty much just grabbing the body, and sticking a head on it. The hard part would be the paint job.
So just to you can get your spartan figure easily?
This is you.
I giggled.
Although really I don't care about the customization, I never did. I argued with so many people in that thread(s) about it, it's just a ridiculous proposal considering they are adding MASSIVE amounts of choices already.
Zero117AsZ wrote:
So just to you can get your spartan figure easily?
That'd be swell, but if 343 were to do something like this I'm sure they'd be doing it for their own rea$ons.
I doubt that's the primary motivator, but it would be a cool secondary reason lol :D I would certainly partake in that purchase.
One thing I like it that it'll be easier for 343I to add new armors with each dlc or update
Fishztikz wrote:
DSight wrote:
Never did. But I ALWAYS noticed when someone was wearing prefect armor in Halo 4. Its just so.. different
yo, i kinda want the Prefect armor to return. i kinda miss it lol
Here's the other bright side: We get more weapon skins,weapon variants, vehicle skins, vehicle variants, more armor variants then ever before, and customisable assassinations. We will also continue to receive more of all of these throughout Halo 5's lifespan
I came up with a personal bright side to reduced armor customization that led me to an idea/theory. I say Idea because I came up with it on my own, but theory because 343 may have come up with it before me and have plans on implementing it--but I'm managing my expectations by not getting my hopes up.

Like so many here on Waypoint, I have a gigantic nerd-on for anything Halo. Including the action figures. Also like so many here on Waypoint, I consider Reach to have the best options in terms of armor customization. I liked my Spartan from Reach so much that I wanted an action figure of him, but since mine used components from several different armors and Halo action figures always come in full sets, I had to buy several different figures, disassemble them and reassemble them in the style of my personal Spartan. It worked great and he looks amazing driving my buddy's Spartan (that I was able to assemble from leftover parts) around on a mongoose (we played a lot of rocket race together).
The good news with Halo 5's customization is that I (and anyone else as geeky as me) will have to buy a maximum of 2 action figures to make their Spartan.

But then I had a realization. This whole time we've been thinking that armor customization was reduced because of the new req system, or so that 343 could give us more armor permutations to choose from. What if they reduced out options to body, helmet, skin, primary color, skin color, and visor color so that it's easier for them to sell us action figures of our personal Spartan?
Think about it. Log on to Waypoint, got to the "Shop" select "Custom Action Figure" choose your body, helmet, skin, primary color, skin color, and visor color and then pay (and knowing me, I would pay a lot).

What do you think? Am I on to something? If you don't think 343 has this planned already, should they do it? Could be a great way to make up for all the money they aren't making selling DLC maps.
So gamers are punished with lack of customisation for the sake of action figures........that makes no sense. I'd rather stick to wide customisation like Halo Reach did.
ronnie42 wrote:

So gamers are punished with lack of customisation for the sake of action figures........that makes no sense. I'd rather stick to wide customisation like Halo Reach did.
It's just a silly little theory there, guy. Supposed to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. I don't think anyone seriously thinks 343 limited armor customization for the sake of action figures.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2