Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Bring back armor lock (before you freak out, read)

OP Staarlord

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. ...
  9. 13
I'm betting that this post wasn't actually about Armor Lock. Instead, I'm calling that the OP used this as a ploy to remind us all just how terrible Reach MP actually was in light of the upcoming backwards compatibility.

--My Response--
https://youtu.be/QwyEEuJeLkY
I not ashamed to admit i was an armor lock user in Reach.
There's no shame. I used it. It benefited me while traversing the field and avoiding road kill and rockets/ grenades. It was fantastic. You have to remember that the community -- people in general, are sheep. I'm guilty. All it takes is one person to say "Hey, I'm tired of dying, this sucks! Why is this even in the game!" and people will rally, unconsciously. I doubt that many people who are responsible for nerfing a weapon, or feature really have a genuine thought on the matter. It flies by word of mouth, simply. The same as how, one person will tell you something that someone else said, but by time it reaches 10 other peoples ears, via, multiple people, the story has gotten embellished, over embellished, exaggerated and skewed to where it is no longer even remotely true.

When a PVP community nerfs a certain weapon, it's usually out of jealousy because maybe it's rare and they don't have it and are tired of getting killed by it as a reminder, or it's a weapon or item they never got good with using and don't have the patience for, but others may get great at using and so, if nobody can have it/ be good at it, then we better have it nerfed/ removed. It's a bitter, bitter world ;)

Shotguns and pistols are a good example of something hard to get right and that were never an issue to begin with. People prefer full-auto or rail guns(DMR/ sniper). The pistol represents a weapon that is hard to use and people can be real good at using, but others don't have the patience for. Shotguns represent a play style of stealth and close encounters, and people prefer being active and bouncing around. These two things will likely see many nerfs throughout any given game and the life of Halo 5. To appease BR and Assault rifle users.
I would rather have the Revenant, Specter, Hornet, and Falcon back. Jet pack would be nice though.
I disagree, there are so many times where a DIRECT HIT FROM A ROCKET THAT WOULD KILL ANYONE IN ANY OTHER HALO (and any other game period) GAME gets wasted. It isn't the EMP Burst that was the problem, it was the entire armour lock ability. It was literally an INVINCIBILITY power-up that you could use ANY FREAKIN TIME! Lore shouldn't effect PVP at all, ever, PVP should be about, well, balance. Armour lock wasn't balanced at all, when you spatter people, they should die, when you rocket somebody, they should die, when you are about to kill somebody, THEY SHOULD DIE. If Armour lock even just increased armour, and made it so that you would still die from spatters and power weapons, but smaller arms like a DMR would maybe take a couple extra shots, and the EMP burst was still there (so you could still counter vehicles with good timing), then it would be CLOSER to being balanced. However as much as it is a cancer to PVP balance, I would like it to return for mini games. Also the only reason why I still love reach was because of people who didn't use Armour lock, and used sprint or jet pack instead, in Halo 5, there are no loadouts, so if it returned EVERYONE EVER WOULD FREAKIN HAVE IT!!! Not going to overreact but I would break my disk and then throw it into fire and piss it out.
I would want the Armor Lock back.
I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of heir-arching 'lore' over gameplay. Keep it the way it is.
IfOnly30 wrote:
Or they could just fix the splatter mechanics.
I think the splattering is fine given how flimsy and/or vulnerable most of the vehicles are now.
Thrust
No no no
I think armor lock could certainly be interesting. I think though it should be just that though. In the campaign when a spartan is downed but now out they can't move because their armor is locked. It would be neat if you could trigger this effect just before getting hit by something. Armor lock should not deal damage. After triggering your spartan could be in lockdown but still vulnerable to gunfire and explosives. There could either be a cool down before you could move again or you could even utilize the revive feature from campaign and you are doomed until someone picks you up or you die and can respawn.

An armor lock with a small window of success that only offers protection against kinetic damage and not weapons fire would be a great addition to the game and I feel it falls in line with Halo 5's risk/reward mechanics. Especially if paired with having to be un-locked by your teammates you would have to use it very tactically or be killed.

EDIT: Just wanted to add. I don't think armor lock should make a spartan immovable either. Vehicles should be able to move them despite a prevented splatter.
Armor lock doesn't belong in these halos anymore. Its kind of like human aircraft, jetpacks, bubble shields and brute weapons... R.I.P. GRIFBALL... This being said halo 5 focus more on a faster base ground game. Using boost or unlimited sprint to get around the map. The flow is always take 1 to 4 routes to reach the higher areas of a map then use vertical moves like ground pound. Armor lock would slow the game down. With the vehicles that already feel somewhat slow and like they will flip if you put in a speed bump armor lock would ruin any vehicles.

However if in halo 6 they gave us everything, ( yes everything, aircraft, falcon, pelicans, hornets and every weapon from every game) then I would say yes. So with that being stated have fun trying to convince everyone it still belongs.
I was never a huge fan of Armor Lock in the first place, I really didn't use it at all when I was playing Reach
I was never a huge fan of Armor Lock in the first place, I really didn't use it at all when I was playing Reach
Timmie wrote:
IfOnly30 wrote:
Or they could just fix the splatter mechanics.
Post of the day award.
Agreed.
What a good idea. Jesus please. Like is it just me or vehicle splats are effing hard to deal with in this game now?
Armor lock should neeeeever come back. Ever.
I second AND third this
I would want the Armor Lock back.
pls stop now while you still can
This post made me think about Armour Lock a little more, and really think about it, I hate it even more, and I am no longer excited for halo reach BC thanks guys :(
I liked armor lock in just game types for fun. such as when it was actually supposed to be used in player made game modes
but i do agree that it doesn't necessarily need to return
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. ...
  9. 13