Broken Radar - it literally does nothing

OP Matt Wad

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
Loving the game but as the hours go on and the frustrations get worse this new radar (if you even want to consider it one) is making me slowly dislike halo 5.

- WHY just WHY would they get rid of the radar indicator that establishes if your opponent is above or below you?? It makes it equally confusing for both and just sloppy game play.

- why does it pick and choose when to detect an enemy? I get the shorter range in halo 5 but sometimes it straight up never shoves you they were there.

- how do you play defensively when your radar catches them by the time they're already right on top of you?? It's like saying the defense is gonna blitz when you're already in the process getting sacked lol

I can't imagine this, or the awful respawning will go unaddressed.
They changed the functionality of the radar drastically and didnt tell anyone lol.
My radar was literally working fine when I played.
FYI, players can move without showing up on your radar if they move slowly, like crouch and move. That may be what you're experiencing.
You didn't notice that it's missing a core feature we've had for 15 years? Lol musta been whooping and not caring haha

but seriously this radar only distracts you. It does not detect most new spawned characters!
They mentioned recently (I think it was a Sprint video or something) that they reduced the effective range of the radar from 30m to 18m, and provided some kind of rationale for it, though I think the new radar is trash. I actually stopped using it altogether after about 30 minutes of getting killed by someone standing about 10 feet away from me. The reduced distance is not enough time to react for an incoming enemy, especially with the pistol being as effective as it is. I expect this to be tweaked soon.
Rhydon65 wrote:
FYI, players can move without showing up on your radar if they move slowly, like crouch and move. That may be what you're experiencing.
Bro I'm bad at halo but I ain't that bad lmao trust me that's not it. Crouch walking wouldn't stop the enemy location indicator from alerting them if below or above
They mentioned recently (I think it was a Sprint video or something) that they reduced the effective range of the radar from 30m to 18m, and provided some kind of rationale for it, though I think the new radar is trash. I actually stopped using it altogether after about 30 minutes of getting killed by someone standing about 10 feet away from me. The reduced distance is not enough time to react for an incoming enemy, especially with the pistol being as effective as it is. I expect this to be tweaked soon.
Pretty much summed it up. And how about defending with the pistol when you can't see them showing up on radar until you're already screwed? Goes both ways
I noticed this for the first time last night. I didn't notice anything wrong with the functionality of it, but the range seems to be so short, I would either already have seen them or be dead before I could do anything about it.
Why not learn to play using your ears and vision? Maybe a little intuition? Why are people leaning so damn hard on that radar crutch? This complaint sounds like someone playing Starcraft who can see their enemy the entire time on the minimap and now you are mad because you have to actually have to try to locate, outwit, and outplay your enemies?
They changed the functionality of the radar drastically and didnt tell anyone lol.
Not true, they have a video that includes the radar changes
Matt Wad wrote:
Rhydon65 wrote:
Bro I'm bad at halo but I ain't that bad lmao trust me that's not it. Crouch walking wouldn't stop the enemy location indicator from alerting them if below or above
No, you missed the point. If someone crouches and moves, they literally do not appear on other player's radars. I use this trick a lot.
Matt Wad wrote:
Pretty much summed it up. And how about defending with the pistol when you can't see them showing up on radar until you're already screwed? Goes both ways
I havent had the time to play yet but do they have options in customs to increase Radar distance?
Matt Wad wrote:
You didn't notice that it's missing a core feature we've had for 15 years? Lol musta been whooping and not caring haha

but seriously this radar only distracts you. It does not detect most new spawned characters!
15 years? Only halo 4 told you whether or not someone was above or below. This radar actually tells you the same. Kind of. It's bolder color if they are on your level. Faded out if they are above or below
I think they need to increase the radar distance to at least 25 meters. I honestly think 30 meters would be perfect for arena.
Yup, I too noticed the radar was an issue. When I would double-glance at the radar just to figure out what was going on... that's an issue.
I like it. It allows more skill, and not surprise.
McBananers wrote:
Why not learn to play using your ears and vision? Maybe a little intuition? Why are people leaning so damn hard on that radar crutch? This complaint sounds like someone playing Starcraft who can see their enemy the entire time on the minimap and now you are mad because you have to actually have to try to locate, outwit, and outplay your enemies?
Seriously? Radar has always been a key defining feature in Halo. So because this one is -Yoink-, we should just learn to play the game different? You're missing the point; the radar is literally worthless as it doesn't tell you whether someone is below you or above you, nor does it give you time to react to an incoming enemy.

As a side note, playing with your eyes and ears? Seriously? Have you heard this game? It's nearly impossible to hear anything over the spartan chatter and sound effects other than gun fire. Listening for footsteps is wholly unrealistic, even with my Astro A50 headset.
Mr Dan wrote:
I like it. It allows more skill, and not surprise.
It doesn't allow for more skill at all. It actually allows for less skill because it reduces the resolve of a gunfight to more chance (chance of seeing the other person first, chance of getting in the right position without them being able to react in time, etc).

It takes far more skill to know that you have been detected on radar and for the other player to prepare themselves to fight you than it does to not be detected on radar at all.
You just need to pay more attention to surrounding and footsteps instead of relying on looking in bottom right for everyone's location on map
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14