Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

BTB refresh could be ranked!?!?!?!?!

OP ExO BIGG

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Soooooo yeah.... Can we get this BTB refresh positioned as a ranked list to give it some extra help in being successful?

Within the entire BTB player pool there are a couple of different audiences:
-You've got a bunch of people that just want to play for some light fun. They hop in and want to relax, chill out and play a social style game.
-Then you've got the audience that wants to sweat a little (or a lot) every game. People who live for that clutch game winning play that comes down to the wire. Hooked on that competitive adrenaline. It fuels the Halo addiction sooo many of us have had for over a decade.

When you want to chill we all know BTSF isn't going anywhere. Hands down that is the new social BTB. It's fun when you want to play around with cool weapons and not try too hard or take things too seriously. From the sounds of what @ZaedynFel has said it's wildly successful and the remaining core H5 population has gravitated toward that style of play and appear to be pretty happy with those games.

The players on the BTB diehard side of the population on the other hand aren't interested in super fiesta style games for the vast majority of their game time. A lot of players in this audience have gotten bored with the current BTB playlist and have moved to other games or playlists. This is the population to target to try and bring back to Halo/ classic BTB. These people obviously still exist and still own the game. They just need to be interested in the refresh and engaged when they come try it out. This section of population wants to play competitive games and will grind for that champion/onyx/diamond/plat/gold. With new maps/competitive settings you can get competitive players hooked on BTB again and the population will come back.

Build it and they will come.......
Ranked would be nice.
Ranked would be a nice change of pace for BTB, agreed. Big Team Super Fiesta is eating into the population of regular Big Team Battle. Best to separate the two further. They are both sitting uncomfortably close in the "social playlist" area.
Ranks would be a mess for BTB as the system uses wins and losses for CSR rather than individual performance (MMR)...so while they would be there, it really just would come down to who you are queuing with which doesn't mean anything at all.

This system works better for 4s because one person can have a much greater effect when the map is smaller and there are fewer players.
If BTB was to be made ranked...... I'd come back and play. I think it's a great idea.
Ranks would be a mess for BTB as the system uses wins and losses for CSR rather than individual performance (MMR)...so while they would be there, it really just would come down to who you are queuing with which doesn't mean anything at all.

This system works better for 4s because one person can have a much greater effect when the map is smaller and there are fewer players.
Actually BTB was originally a ranked playlist in H5. I totally support it's return to ranked.
I'd like ranked as well, but I don't think the population will do well in the long run. My grim prediction is the pop will slowly drop off leaving the higher ranked parties struggling to find games and then they'll loosen the MMR like they do in FFA which in turn will drive away a lot of the lower ranked solo players cause they'll be getting stomped almost every game. Then you'll be left with parties and remaining solos taking a long time to find games or not at all. It's easier to swallow in social cause you expect to get matched with higher skilled people, but dealing with ranks is a different story. I hope it does well, but that's just what I think will happen.

Actually BTB was originally a ranked playlist in H5. I totally support it's return to ranked.
Yes, and I believe it was also a problem then which is why they axed it pretty much immediately...when the population was at its highest.

Yes, and I believe it was also a problem then which is why they axed it pretty much immediately...when the population was at its highest.
They changed it because tons of people wanted it to be a social playlist because they thought they weren't getting fair matches. Making it social didn't help that.
I would be down for this!
They changed it because tons of people wanted it to be a social playlist because they thought they weren't getting fair matches. Making it social didn't help that.
I thought it was due to quitting, but either way, that was back when there was a decent population so I'd imagine now it would be worse.
BTB should never be ranked IMO. Just too many factors to accurately rank players.
I wouldn't want it to be ranked, but I also would play it if it was and I don't know why.
Nah, lots of players play BTB because it's fun, relaxing, and you can try out a lot of things. Making it ranked would probably drive a decent amount of players away from it.
LethalQ wrote:
BTB should never be ranked IMO. Just too many factors to accurately rank players.
Yeah BTB seems like a thoroughly social playlist. I would prefer to keep it social at least.
The social BTB playlist is BTB Fiesta.

343 should rank regular BTB. It would help with the population for sure. I know of several competitive BTB teams who would make a return if it was Ranked.
LethalQ wrote:
What factors does BTB have that something like swat or breakout doesn't? When BTB was ranked for that one month in Halo 5, the rankings seemed pretty damn accurate to me. Most of the top players were champs....
BTB Bill wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
What factors does BTB have that something like swat or breakout doesn't? When BTB was ranked for that one month in Halo 5, the rankings seemed pretty damn accurate to me. Most of the top players were champs....
Bad players can hop in vehicles and go positive. In arena, the powerups that can help less-skilled players win a fight are limited by time and weapons limited by ammo. Vehicles are unlimited by both and if you have a team that controls the counters it is pretty much over. In arena, there are very few instances where the match snowballs in this way.

Just like how they removed ARs and Hydras etc. From Arena, the things that have a low skill ceiling ruin competition.
BTB Bill wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Bad players can hop in vehicles and go positive. In arena, the powerups that can help less-skilled players win a fight are limited by time and weapons limited by ammo. Vehicles are unlimited by both and if you have a team that controls the counters it is pretty much over. In arena, there are very few instances where the match snowballs in this way.

Just like how they removed ARs and Hydras etc. From Arena, the things that have a low skill ceiling ruin competition.
If a player is skilled in a vehicle, why should they be punished? Contrary to the popular belief, there is a skill gap for vehicles, especially in halo 5.
If a team is controlling vehicles and the counters (laser, hydra, Plasma Pistols, ect), aren't they just the better team at that point and deserve to win?

I don't see how playing BTB is somehow less skillful than something ranked like swat or breakout....
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2