BTB Refresh Just Dropped - Thoughts?

OP Heaviies

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I really wish the BR was good like it should be, at least do the Halo 2 Br or something decent. Other rifles that used to get blown away by the BR are way more powerful
ronnie42 wrote:
It's like normally for Warzone I could get around 5k while Warzone Turbo could give me up to 20-50k per 12 minutes.
While BTB I'd be lucky to get around 2-5k on a normal day while featured I doubt it go much higher.
I believe featured playlists are double XP. In WZ Turbo I would get around 10K unboosted and with boosts it can be as high as 20K. The arena payouts (for time required) are pretty piss poor so double XP might seem pretty low.
No. I think that's just an assumption. Normally when there's double exp they actually announce it in their blogs, it's been a while since we've had a proper one. It may increase xp a bit but nowhere near the double exp that I would get normally when the event's usually goes live. Last one I remember was activated for all playlists around xmas holidays last year. Plus played a few matches in BTB today, it doesn't give as much xp as I could be getting if it was double xp.
Fracture is still in the playlist. Untouched. With one of the dirtiest spawn traps in the games history. I’m kind of surprised they didn’t touch that map.
too little stabilization jets
too much water
0/10
I am not too happy about the CTF flags not having to be at home to score. I am also not to happy about Assault allowing the bombs to be just dropped to score.

These changes are all about shorter matches, which might be healthy for turnover in a playlist but not so healthy in terms of escalation that occurs in these strategy maps..

Regarding CTF flags not having to be at home to score, while more traditional to older Halos, the reason against this is about discouraging a "stationary" mindset. I never really felt CTF was drawn out. Sure 3 of 3 was not always possible, but the point of these types of matches is NOT about the rate of capture, rather CTF is about strategy. The changes require a more Defensive mindset rather than an Offensive one. Less people are likely to move forward out of the nest. Especially when moving forces away from your base is more likely to get your Flag taken. At least there is some strategy to go after the opponents flag when you are unsure where your flag is on the map as a contestation motive. All that is lost and matches will be a matter of luck being in the right place at the right time to recover your flag.. With Halo's wonky spawn system, good luck trying to recover your flag.

The Bomb drop countdown scenario is really not asked for. I have had plenty of maps where a bomb at a location is chaotic. That is where the fun is at with these types of matches. Literally have had matches with grenade spam, rocket launchers, snipers, vehicles are trying to get the opponent off a spawn point. The fact the bomb could be just sitting in bases and have the countdown timer go down is not wanted. If the counter was set to something like 20 seconds I would be willing to let this go. I been in plenty of situations where a bomb would sit in my base and battling spawning system to maneuver back to the circle to get the bomb was rewarding.

Sure these changes may increase the quantity of matches, I do not necessarily agree this is going to improve the quality of matches.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
It's like normally for Warzone I could get around 5k while Warzone Turbo could give me up to 20-50k per 12 minutes.
While BTB I'd be lucky to get around 2-5k on a normal day while featured I doubt it go much higher.
I believe featured playlists are double XP. In WZ Turbo I would get around 10K unboosted and with boosts it can be as high as 20K. The arena payouts (for time required) are pretty piss poor so double XP might seem pretty low.
No. I think that's just an assumption. Normally when there's double exp they actually announce it in their blogs, it's been a while since we've had a proper one. It may increase xp a bit but nowhere near the double exp that I would get normally when the event's usually goes live. Last one I remember was activated for all playlists around xmas holidays last year. Plus played a few matches in BTB today, it doesn't give as much xp as I could be getting if it was double xp.
Featured playlist have increased pay outs but they never officially said by how much. Double XP only happens when they officially announce it. Yes warzone pays out bit more XP usually but you can earn some good xp in arena if you have good boost. Also keep in mind usually you fan get two arena games in the time frame of one warzone game.
looks like this was not how should be, when the players started to complain about BTB was mostly for the start weapons, then 343 created one thread about the sugerences for the refresh and I remember almost all the posts was about the initial weapons, but now 343 changed everything except the thing they complained about the most, I think this is a mistake.
Overall the motion is there but the new maps are overall too big in scale and feel bulky, dimensions are off.
Looks good but isn't great
Big issues is the lack cover/foilage big open hallways/valleys on the new maps. Meander you call easily kill across bases without leaving base.
Previous maps that did not need a remake but just adjustments, then were made too small and the vehicles have a hard time to moving around.
1 CTf is good but only one side having vehicles and the other side having none leads to uneven balance, lack of counters can lead to frustrating gameplay.
Cover is the main gripe can't cross without being shot in all directions and can't get in cover when there's none.
Spawn killing is still there.
Being able to capture flag and going overtime now is great, specially when carrying the flag.
Bomb arms on it's own if left untouched, which can flip on you if not careful
Alucardko wrote:
looks like this was not how should be, when the players started to complain about BTB was mostly for the start weapons, then 343 created one thread about the sugerences for the refresh and I remember almost all the posts was about the initial weapons, but now 343 changed everything except the thing they complained about the most, I think this is a mistake.
Well I went through the post and tallied up the numbers for starting weapons with 10 or more votes:

Here are the overwhelming results:

Close to 80-100 posts regarding starting weapon suggestions:
1. Stabilized Jets BR (37)
2. Magnum (26)
3. Long Barrel BR (15)
4/5. Halo 2 BR (10)
4/5. Current H5 BR (10)

Other votes cast varied from Extended Mag BR, DMRs, Assault Rifles, and Pistol Variants.
I absolutely love it so far!
I like the new maps but I'm not crazy about the changes made to CTF and Assault. Haven't played Assault yet---just one CTF game---but I feel like they make games too easy and less of a challenge. I like that they've added One-flag CTF but I'm a little uncertain about it. I've only gotten two One-flag CTF games so far and both have ended in ties. I hope this doesn't become the norm for this gametype.
I like the maps. I really love maps with vehicles, and the vehicles are kinda sparse in the new maps it seems like.
Have not seen them, is it bad luck that i keep finding that stupid port map?
Heaviies wrote:
Alucardko wrote:
Well I went through the post and tallied up the numbers for starting weapons with 10 or more votes:

2. Magnum (26)
3. Long Barrel BR (15)
4/5. Halo 2 BR (10)
4/5. Current H5 BR (10)

Other votes cast varied from Extended Mag BR, DMRs, Assault Rifles, and Pistol Variants.
To be fair, I was in probably 80% of the testing and ran my own for over 4 months with various pro players, forgers, etc. We tested lots of different BRs and some Mags. Take it for what it is, but the quit rates of people in or out of the party during testing with Long Barrel, Stabilization Jets, H2 BR, and Classic BR was significant. Some players did like different BRs, but the data gathered was that players were very frustrated and quit rates were much higher in these tests. I did pro testing, casual testing, focused testing all with being in a party or not being in a party. We played on these maps over 50 times each throughout testing and development over the course of 15 months with a heavier focus the last 6 months. I do not speak for 343, so I have no problem saying that most of the threads created in favor of the SJBR and others comes from an understanding of use from Warzone as most players have not done focused testing with these weapons in a BTB environment. That said, a lot of people wanting these weapons are basing it off of what seems to be the logical choice, ignoring the fact that there are many variables deciding this point. Quitting out of matches is something that absolutely must be considered. I agree that the standard BR does not feel that great, but there was never going to be a weapon that was going to be the solution. There are absolutely pros and cons about each different starting variant. Another thing over the last 3 years players have asked for in BTB was consistency across the playlist, different weapon starts on different maps do not fit that mold and players would likely quit based off of weapon starts. Helping out, I fully believe that 343 had to make a lot of hard decisions, but did their absolute best at trying to make the right ones. Halo 5's sandbox is incredibly more difficult to balance than in past Halo titles, a lot of that is due to the inclusion of REQ variants.
D4rkDeath wrote:
Heaviies wrote:
Alucardko wrote:

2. Magnum (26)
3. Long Barrel BR (15)
4/5. Halo 2 BR (10)
4/5. Current H5 BR (10)

To be fair, I was in probably 80% of the testing and ran my own for over 4 months with various pro players, forgers, etc. We tested lots of different BRs and some Mags. Take it for what it is, but the quit rates of people in or out of the party during testing with Long Barrel, Stabilization Jets, H2 BR, and Classic BR was significant. Some players did like different BRs, but the data gathered was that players were very frustrated and quit rates were much higher in these tests. I did pro testing, casual testing, focused testing all with being in a party or not being in a party. We played on these maps over 50 times each throughout testing and development over the course of 15 months with a heavier focus the last 6 months. I do not speak for 343, so I have no problem saying that most of the threads created in favor of the SJBR and others comes from an understanding of use from Warzone as most players have not done focused testing with these weapons in a BTB environment. That said, a lot of people wanting these weapons are basing it off of what seems to be the logical choice, ignoring the fact that there are many variables deciding this point. Quitting out of matches is something that absolutely must be considered. I agree that the standard BR does not feel that great, but there was never going to be a weapon that was going to be the solution. There are absolutely pros and cons about each different starting variant. Another thing over the last 3 years players have asked for in BTB was consistency across the playlist, different weapon starts on different maps do not fit that mold and players would likely quit based off of weapon starts. Helping out, I fully believe that 343 had to make a lot of hard decisions, but did their absolute best at trying to make the right ones. Halo 5's sandbox is incredibly more difficult to balance than in past Halo titles, a lot of that is due to the inclusion of REQ variants.
Even without the SJBR, the sightlines on these maps are insane and I find myself getting crossmapped by multiple enemies often. It would absolutely be a nightmare with something more precise.
Played a lot. Without detail I'll say. They're unbalanced.
Glad to see 343 giving BTB some love and attention, and I like 1-flag CTF, but I'm not really interested in this if there's no Heavies. Would have been nice if Halo 5 had a BTB mode with heavy stuff but without Warzone mechanics or randomized weapons. At least that Echoes map got some Wraiths, I guess.
tuhin94 wrote:
Happily continuing to stay away from Halo 5.
That's a shame. If you ever feel like playing some Big Team Super Fiesta or firefight, feel free to hit me up
I like the new entombed. But before this goes ranked I would strongly recommend changing up the weapon pads. One team gets a caster the other gets a beam rifle off spawn. This isn’t close to being a fair trade.
I like the new entombed. But before this goes ranked I would strongly recommend changing up the weapon pads. One team gets a caster the other gets a beam rifle off spawn. This isn’t close to being a fair trade.
Agreed 100%. It’s definitely unfair that blue side gets easy access to the only beam rifle on the map.
Is Plasma Pistol the only counter to the Mantises on Crossbow? Enemy team got both and they lived for the majority of the game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4