BTB Refresh Just Dropped - Thoughts?

OP iTs Heavies

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I've only played some maps/game types only once so far so I don't have much of an opinion on them yet and it doesn't help that I'm pretty rusty at the moment with H5. I really liked Emtombed's makeover although I agree with the others that maybe the power weapon placements could use an adjustment. I liked the changes to Traffic Jam so it's harder to snipe from base to base and I enjoyed Fossil Assault.

Panic Attack Slayer was kind of ehh although I didn't get to experience vehicle play which it seemed it was catered for. Voyager didn't really grab me in Slayer or 1 Flag and it felt kind of directionless with the fighting (probly not explained well). Deadheat looked good and gave a more nostalgic feel to the original although I'm not sure if it's beneficial for H5's gameplay with parts of the bases being so cramped. The gameplay also felt a lot more segmented with not a lot of flow to it, but the matchup wasn't great so that could change if I play it more.

Is Plasma Pistol the only counter to the Mantises on Crossbow? Enemy team got both and they lived for the majority of the game.
For tier 1 weapons it would be besides the Kinetic BR. It also has rockets, sniper, railgun and then the vehicles.
They took away the gauss hog on valhalla. How am I going to get 30+kills in a game now? All kidding aside, the no flag at home and the no person present to arm is a not a good tweak. I killed a ball carrier in the goal area thinking I saved the day only to find the dropped ball continuing to arm and score.
The maps certainly look great, though it's still the same experience of getting steamrolled, unfortunately. Probably gonna quit BTB entirely; other games outside of Halo are more interesting for me.
Way better. I'm amazed by the scenery. I'll stop and just look at the landscape in awe.
Feels like you just jumped out of a long shower.

GoGoGadgetHero
River of Styx
Fracture is still in the playlist. Untouched. With one of the dirtiest spawn traps in the games history. I’m kind of surprised they didn’t touch that map.
Fracture was updated. Spawn trapping was addressed, and should be MUCH harder to come by now. The previous way spawns worked was when forge didn't support proper zone weighting. I spent months going through spawn data and constantly testing and updating the weighting of individual spawn pockets. Granted, nothing can compare to raw gameplay data from matchmaking, so I will be keeping an eye on the spawns and make tweaks as necessary.
Terrible per usual. It's not exactly 343i's fault, but there simply aren't many well designed BTB's in Halo 5. Not many forgers know how to design for BTB and those that do, often spit out uninspired medicoracy as that is the safer route or simply lack playtesters to bring there maps to that next level.

I doubt anyone here knows who I am, but in H6 you will. I'll be forging exclusively BTB content in Infinite and will show the Halo community what a true visceral an immersive BTB experience is really about. Cheers to the future!
Fracture is still in the playlist. Untouched. With one of the dirtiest spawn traps in the games history. I’m kind of surprised they didn’t touch that map.
Fracture was updated. Spawn trapping was addressed, and should be MUCH harder to come by now. The previous way spawns worked was when forge didn't support proper zone weighting. I spent months going through spawn data and constantly testing and updating the weighting of individual spawn pockets. Granted, nothing can compare to raw gameplay data from matchmaking, so I will be keeping an eye on the spawns and make tweaks as necessary.
Oh thanks :) we were spawn trapped in the back base and slayed heavily but that was also by one of the sweaty teams that I or the guys I was matched with can’t compete with. I guess time will tell on this map.
The few new maps I played on I liked. They're pretty, and they flow...okay, I guess.
The problem is of the 15 ish games I played, 2/3rds were Bolulivard.
And Entombed.
I got two new maps out of the whole time, but I liked em both. The rebalance on Vikings alright I guess.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Not having snipers on Dispelled seems like a plus. It was nice being able to freely move around the map without having to worry about getting sniped.
Dead heat slayer is just like deadlock slayer was. You spawn all over the map. Behind enemy players. Then enemy players spawn behind you. Just flag and bomb on this map please.

This is one I honestly think is worse after the refresh. Deadlock was a map where the casuals like me could play on and have a good game and the sweaty teams liked to play this one fairly often in scrims too, at least from what I saw on their streams. Also an uneven match would usually be over very quickly.

Imo the best version of this map was the one you guys just pulled. No wasps. Carbines at cammo, not sats. Ghosts were very strong but you had 2 green guns and a hydra at each base. Was one of the best maps in h5 btb’s lifespan imho. I would not have changed it.
For Chub wrote:
Terrible per usual. It's not exactly 343i's fault, but there simply aren't many well designed BTB's in Halo 5. Not many forgers know how to design for BTB and those that do, often spit out uninspired medicoracy as that is the safer route or simply lack playtesters to bring there maps to that next level.

I doubt anyone here knows who I am, but in H6 you will. I'll be forging exclusively BTB content in Infinite and will show the Halo community what a true visceral an immersive BTB experience is really about. Cheers to the future!
Out of curiosity, what are some of your favorite BTB maps?
For Chub wrote:

Talks the talk but does not walk the walk.
Random question, what if it was h2br start?
I like it to me it feels like a refresh and I think they should do this with all game modes maybe if they did this to warzone that would be spectacular.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
The updates on the existing maps are fine (even though they simply creating camping safe-zones in the dumbest of places), but the new maps are garbage.

After they dropped the 'Invasion' game mode from Reach, BTB was the last bastion of half-decent MP maps (with the exception of the newer maps like 'Risen'). Now, they've duced in the bed, and I'm done.

Veteran Halo player of over 15 years (and former competitor), signing off.
Feels like the spawning on the new maps are unbalanced. I like them besides that. It's cool to explore something new.
For Chub wrote:
TimeDipper wrote:
For Chub wrote:

Talks the talk but does not walk the walk.
Forge's the same 2 base 2 tower BTB map design that's been done ad nauseum. Thinks he's a GOD.
I am but a simple man with a simple map...I have no problem admitting that. There is nothing wrong with a traditional formula if people enjoy it.
Looks like the BTB Refresh was just dropped. Curious to see everyone’s first impressions.
Absolutely hate it! I hope this is only temporary & they bring back the old BTB. Its hot garbage
Looks like the BTB Refresh was just dropped. Curious to see everyone’s first impressions.
Absolutely hate it! I hope this is only temporary & they bring back the old BTB. Its hot garbage
But why?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4