Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Can Halo 5 really make it as an Esport?

OP Kyrios

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Unbiased opinions only. Do you really think Halo can be an Esport? CoD really didn't see too much success as an Esport, and it's kind of hard to imagine a console game trying to attract a primarily PC Gaming leagues fanbase and pulling it off successfully.
-Less Auto aim
-Equal Starts
-Power Weapon focus
-New flashy abilities new comers love
-Spectator mode
-Great new ranking system
-Developer Support (Halo championship series)
-Halo game

I say Yes
-Less Auto aim
-Equal Starts
-Power Weapon focus
-Spectator mode
-Halo game

I say Yes
100% agree. It can definitely be an Esport.
Yes and for two main reasons. Developer and publisher support and spectator mode. I am not sure how big it will be but Halo will have a presence.
-Less Auto aim
-Equal Starts
-Power Weapon focus
-Spectator mode
-Halo game

I say Yes
What he said.
Absolutely!
Esports as a whole will have to do better. Right now there is no structure. Right now I could set up a tournament, scrape together some cash for a prize, declare a winner, and no one else on the planet will care. MLG was mediocre, AGL was dismal, and whatever happened to Virgin Gaming? Meanwhile, World of Tanks has international events and the closest thing to real actual teams than anything I've seen for an FPS game.

If there were actual leagues with real teams and well-produced events, Halo and just about any other game like it would do well.
Halo has it's own league, doesnt really matter.
As long as there is stable population the league will exist.
Considering CoD is played in MLG... and this is more balanced gameplay wise... Yes.
Add Clans and clan rankings and you can have your esports built into the menus no website needed.
Clan support would be excellent. Missing since halo 2, should return. The look of the multiplayer gameplay so far I say is esport worthy.
I used to watch MLG events for H2 and H3 and loved them. I thought H5's gameplay was boring by comparison. The maps just seem monstrously oversized, there were seriously long range BR duels happening in the midship remake's bases, which were traditionally cqc-mid range oriented.

I just don't find large maps to be exciting and ESport worthy at all, it's just too easy to aim at the opponent when you're that far away from them. In the original trilogy if you got in a 1 on 1 fight in a specific room on the smaller maps you could jump, strafe, Gandhi hop, and crouch to throw off the opponents aim and force them to move their reticule to an extreme to keep up with the rapid movement. In Halo 5 it looks like most fights will be at such a large distance that all of these techniques will be nearly pointless, because no matter how much someone moves they're going to constantly be in your FOV, which means that it will require very little effort to keep them in your cross hairs (even with the decrease in aim assist).

In short, the game just doesn't look as if it will be exciting enough to watch to become an esport. The only way I can see it taking off is if Microsoft puts a lot of money behind it to get people interested in competing.
I think it can, but it wont be as big as any pc game, just doesnt have the appeal to watch it I think.
That depends.... Do the Koreans like it?
It'll never reach the heights of Dota2 or League of Legends. I can only hope it gets close to the popularity of Counter Strike. Being a console game, it's already fighting an uphill battle as console gamers simply aren't as into E-Sports as PC gamers are.
For a console game, it's gonna be tough. I believe in Halo, though, and I think that with enough dev support, it can make it. At least till the nest one comes out.
Kreig556 wrote:
For a console game, it's gonna be tough. I believe in Halo, though, and I think that with enough dev support, it can make it. At least till the nest one comes out.
Believe dude, this community is solid even though it's divided
KGarvie wrote:
-Less Auto aim
-Equal Starts
-Power Weapon focus
-Spectator mode
-Halo game

I say Yes

100% agree. It can definitely be an Esport.
This
I think (and hope) Halo 5 will be a resurgence for Halo
I say yes. Certainly has all the right symptoms. I certainly will be playing it as a sport and watching all the events etc. super stoked that they're building it with eSPorts in mind.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2