Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Cloud Gaming Finally Enables Local Co-Op Halo

OP HobbinGuy

Like many of you, I was disappointed Halo 5 launched without local co-op, something that 343 Industries has promised not to do with Halo: Infinite.

What was particularly upsetting was when my son turned 13, I finally allowed him to play Halo. We played through all the Halos together until, of course, we reached Halo 5. It just wasn't possible without buying another Xbox One (or borrowing one).

Until today.

While I do not yet have an official invite, it looks like I'm allowed to use Cloud Gaming on PC and iOS as part of the beta. Today I tested it out. I played Halo 5 streaming on my PC while I could hook up the Xbox under his account. It worked great. Indeed, though there was a bit of a lag on streaming to PC, it was still very playable. I look forward to finally playing Halo 5 co-op with my son.

The truly best part? My daughter has started playing Halo--and now I can play Halo: MCC with her and my son in campaign mode. They play local co-op on Xbox, while I stream to the PC. This is really terrific and I'm looking forward to playing with both my kids.

I hope 343 will keep local co-op in mind as they make Halo: Infinite. I know I'm not the only parent out there that enjoys gaming with their kids. This is how the legacy of Halo gets passed on! My thanks to everyone at Microsoft for making this finally possible.

** Technical notes -- You cannot be logged into the same account. But there did not seem to be a problem streaming from my account (the master account) while they were logged into their accounts. I did not need to get them their own Game Ultimate Pass or anything like that.
I love reading stories like this. Split screen is at the core of Halo and it's shameful that H5 never had split screen, yet had predatory junk like the REQ system. I'm glad you are able to play both H5 and MCC with your kids. 343i definitely got a lot of feedback regarding the lack of split screen and they have said Infinite will have it. So, something to look forward to :-)
I'm excited for Game Pass Cloud and its future, and this is genuinely such a great value add. Thanks for the heads-up
Very wholesome read, and I too am very excited by this discovery! the absence of local split-screen in H5 is a decision I will never understand.
Tested it extensively this morning. Worked great.

I would say the PC streaming is a bit laggy, enough that you'd notice it, but not enough that it significantly impacts gameplay. Worked well in both Halo 5 and Halo MCC. Kids are happy, dad is happy. Hopefully this kind of activity will be enabled by Halo Infinite. Would love to play that with both my kids!
So you can or cannot now play H5 split screen on the xbox?

Or need to be running a separate pc with it?
Ironaria wrote:

You still cannot play splitscreen.

This is simply achieving playing multiplayer campaign in the same house on one console and one device on cloud gaming
Nice discovery man 😂
i'm hoping they don't use this as an excuse to not do a full pc port of halo 5, not everyone wants to or is interested in using their cloud gaming service.
I've been playing on the Android version of streaming for some time. While the input lag isn't great, it is easy to get accommodated to after a match or so.

Definitely something that makes PvE gametypes much more accessible, even Mythic Firefight. I suggest anyone with Gamepass Ultimate to give it a shot
HobbinGuy wrote:
Like many of you, I was disappointed Halo 5 launched without local co-op, something that 343 Industries has promised not to do with Halo: Infinite.

What was particularly upsetting was when my son turned 13, I finally allowed him to play Halo. We played through all the Halos together until, of course, we reached Halo 5. It just wasn't possible without buying another Xbox One (or borrowing one).

Until today.

While I do not yet have an official invite, it looks like I'm allowed to use Cloud Gaming on PC and iOS as part of the beta. Today I tested it out. I played Halo 5 streaming on my PC while I could hook up the Xbox under his account. It worked great. Indeed, though there was a bit of a lag on streaming to PC, it was still very playable. I look forward to finally playing Halo 5 co-op with my son.

The truly best part? My daughter has started playing Halo--and now I can play Halo: MCC with her and my son in campaign mode. They play local co-op on Xbox, while I stream to the PC. This is really terrific and I'm looking forward to playing with both my kids.

I hope 343 will keep local co-op in mind as they make Halo: Infinite. I know I'm not the only parent out there that enjoys gaming with their kids. This is how the legacy of Halo gets passed on! My thanks to everyone at Microsoft for making this finally possible.

** Technical notes -- You cannot be logged into the same account. But there did not seem to be a problem streaming from my account (the master account) while they were logged into their accounts. I did not need to get them their own Game Ultimate Pass or anything like that.
You can be logged to the same account as long as one person is using the Xbox "guest" mode.
MorseyBaby wrote:
Ironaria wrote:

You still cannot play splitscreen.

This is simply achieving playing multiplayer campaign in the same house on one console and one device on cloud gaming
This is right. You cannot play H5 split screen. But in theory, you could set up three PCs and get 3 Ultimate Game Pass accounts and play it with three friends. I mean, that would strain your wifi, but in theory it's possible. Also, you'd need to have three separate accounts, which is three times the price.
This is truly an incredible breakthrough!
I hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you get it working on PC?
Www.Xbox.com/play
Do both accounts need Xbox live? Can one account have ultimate and that be good enough?
Drahicr wrote:
i'm hoping they don't use this as an excuse to not do a full pc port of halo 5, not everyone wants to or is interested in using their cloud gaming service.
They aren't giving us any indication of a PC port. I wish they would.
Video9399 wrote:
Do both accounts need Xbox live? Can one account have ultimate and that be good enough?
You do not need two Xbox live accounts. Your "home" Xbox can use any sign-in (my kids play on their accounts), while I stream in on Cloud via the PC on my Xbox Live account. You definitely need your Live account on the Cloud, but not the Xbox.