OP snickerdoodle

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
Hey guys!

This thread is going to be us consolidating thoughts and looking for feedback, suggestions, and input on what you would like to see in future CCN's. This is probably the thing that needs to be said upfront, loud and clear:

**While we are reading and paying attention, posting isn't a guarantee that your suggestion will be utilized or implemented**

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's dive in. :)

We just finished our second iteration of the CCN and they were admittedly on pretty short notice. Going forward, we're aiming to hold these the first weekend of the month. Either Friday night or Saturday. We'll aim to nail down the time/date more specifically early on in the week so you guys have enough of an advance warning.

We played a TON of mini games both last time and this time. Mini games are well and good but I know that I can only handle so many before I'm custom'd out. What are your thoughts on having some months be slightly more serious? Like some custom BTB matches? Or other custom Slayer/Objective gametypes that aren't Infection based. Or even, with enough warning/planning, maybe a night where we do some pools of 4v4, us vs you guys, just for fun? We aren't super HCS pros (OpTic Karen aside) so if we do this, stacking teams in your favor isn't necessary.

While we can't promise Gold packs every month, I can say that we'll do what we can to incentive fun.

And now for the not so Just a general reminder that while the CCN's are mostly for Waypoint's benefit, the lobby participants is ultimately up to the host for the night. That means it's the Monitor's decision as to who stays/goes and generally what gets played. We may ask for suggestions but when you're in the lobby/game, please be respectful and don't talk over us or insist that we play X or anything else. Also, the parties can sometimes get full and not everyone can get a chance to join in. If that's the case in future weeks, you'll likely see us moving to playing a couple games with a lobby then migrating and inviting others to be sure that everyone gets chance to play. We're working on a way to make "signing up" and party collecting easier (hint: this will likely involve an Xbox Live Club in some fashion) which should help.

I have a few other thoughts but it's late and I'm tired but we're open to feedback so let's hear it. Just remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar and that we DO wield banhammers so play nice in the sandbox please. We're doing this because we like to have fun but at the end of the day...

job to do
(OpTic Karen)

Optic Karl*

(Or... OpticKaren. I don't know where I'm going with this)

But I'd be down for some BTB matches alongside the usual minigames. (As long as it doesn't come down to consistent sniper battles in objective modes, of course.)

Also, more maps with teleporters, please? I like my tent :)
I had a great time playing customs and i noticed a lot of us were already level 130 and above so gold packs are not a big deal at least IMO. I think it would be cool if we could get a special embelm or weapon skin but maybe that is wishful thinking!

I think it would be fun if we all played some BtB in customs vs each other or even partied up and did some in match making. Also 4v4v4v4 would be fun IMO. Also I dont know if it was just me but seemed liked the mods were in a party and I couldnt get in to hear everyone but i added some of yall.

anyways. Had a great time! Thank you
Adding BTB, 4v4, WZ, WZFF with all the different versions along with the Customs sounds like a great idea to me!
I have to agree with JDeltaWhiskey about the gold pack giveaways. It was greatly appreciated, but not needed in my case. I hope that real money was not used. The emblems are right out of the equation, for the Mods do not work for 343, so they do not have the ability to give those out.
This is all about having a fun time, and I appreciate all the effort that was put out to bring us together and make this happen.
Looking forward to many more nights like that.
I had a whale of a time playing custom matches last night. I too agree with JDeltaWhiskey about the whole req pack giveaway. I'm grateful for the packs, though I turned up for fun. But I guess they might entice other players to come along. I guess those which are more active here on waypoint are just heavy Halo players, all above level 100.

As for future game nights, may I suggest BTB matches, triple/quadruple team slayer, Warzone (well once future changes have been implemented... I hope.. to the maximum fireteam members allowed), and other sorts of custom games in general. I don't really have a fan favourite, I usually like all game modes.

Overall experience 10/10, looking forward to future game sessions like that.
I had a blast last night, was great to team up with everyone!

I'm game for some BTB / Objective games in future, I think that would be fun. Triple teams with modes like rocket race, King of the Hill, Heavies, Assault... Wouldn't mind customs the odd time, but we'd need to work on the modes offered up. Some of the ones from last night, like that Jedi Order one and the Funhouse one I just found far too long and not very fun.

Next time I think we'll try and rotate people round a bit more, definitely a lot more we can do :)

As for emblems / skins, yeah that's not something the mods can offer up I'm afraid. Those are best left for the 343 Community Playdates. Gold packs from last night were courtesy of the Powers that Be :)
I'm grateful for the packs, though I turned up for fun. But I guess they might entice other players to come along.
You said it better than myself.

On a side note.. we could do something like this for a community playdate lol Halo Musical
This was a really fun occasion, and I'd like to offer some notes for refinement:
  • The Gold Pack giveaways are wonderful. It's a great incentive to come along for the ride and have fun with others, while receiving gifts in the end. But from a general consensus, most of us would come along for fun. In that case, limit the Gold Packs to those who still need to unlock items or have done something particularly noteworthy on the occasion.
  • Splitting up into multiple lobbies is a viable option. This allows others to join in on the festivities, but also ease the pressure on the mods that are hosting. I'm thinking each lobby should have a moderator to keep things in place (and give out Gold Packs if need be), though that'll be up to their discretion. In addition, we should have the option to pick who we want to play with prior to the night. Swapping players can work too.
  • Some extended variety would keep things fresh, preferably those that are quick and easy to play. Termites, Ro Sham Bo, Jenga Tower, and Splatter Monkey are great examples. And as the others have said, we should band together for some Warzone mayhem once the fireteam limits have been refined.
Other than that, this was really fun and I cannot wait for the next one! Oh and stckrboy, that looks terribly painful.

EDIT: It should also be made a priority that anyone participating is in party chat in some form or another. From beginning to end, there was at least 2 people that were left behind in game chat.
I'm grateful for the packs, though I turned up for fun. But I guess they might entice other players to come along.
You said it better than myself.

On a side note.. we could do something like this for a community playdate lol Halo Musical
That would be funny.
Well, I wasn't there last night so I can't really offer any viable suggestions off my own experience, just that of others who voice theirs. In doing so, I do see a lot of statements I can agree with.
  • I agree with those who brought up the REQ packs; it's a nice gesture, but in the end we're here to enjoy the experiences the game provides with us and the ones we make with those around us. In my case at least, I certainly don't feel the need to be rewarded with REQ packs just for showing up (unless it's one of those 343 playdates), especially considering I as well as many others have already completed our unlocks and are unconcerned with REQ point gain. That being said, if someone in the lobby has a widely released pack that is available to be gifted, i.e. I still have my Valentine pack from 2 months ago, then it probably wouldn't hurt to give that out, as it's something that can be handed out while posing a minimum input of effort from the person giving it (basically we don't want you to spend money on the packs).
  • The wider variety of custom game choices and options outside of customs would be welcome in my opinion. Remember, it's Community Carnage Night, not Community Custom Night. I'm sure me and a lot of other people would be down to play some matches of Arena or even finish off with a Warzone game, especially considering that Warzone Turbo is back and (hopefully) here to stay. You said it yourself, Snicker: customs can only be so fun for so long.
  • If the player turnout is bigger than expected, I suppose separate lobbies would suffice as an alternative to one big group. Perhaps, if everything goes right, to end off a night all the lobbies can come back into one and we could all do one last thing for the night, be it something like JDeltaWhiskey's Halo Musical or something else.
Welp, there's my thoughts. Make of them however you like.
Wraith0912 wrote:
Well, I wasn't there last night so I can't really offer any viable suggestions off my own experience, just that of others who voice theirs. In doing so, I do see a lot of statements I can agree with.
  • I agree with those who brought up the REQ packs; it's a nice gesture, but in the end we're here to enjoy the experiences the game provides with us and the ones we make with those around us. In my case at least, I certainly don't feel the need to be rewarded with REQ packs just for showing up (unless it's one of those 343 playdates), especially considering I as well as many others have already completed our unlocks and are unconcerned with REQ point gain. That being said, if someone in the lobby has a widely released pack that is available to be gifted, i.e. I still have my Valentine pack from 2 months ago, then it probably wouldn't hurt to give that out, as it's something that can be handed out while posing a minimum input of effort from the person giving it (basically we don't want you to spend money on the packs).
  • The wider variety of custom game choices and options outside of customs would be welcome in my opinion. Remember, it's Community Carnage Night, not Community Custom Night. I'm sure me and a lot of other people would be down to play some matches of Arena or even finish off with a Warzone game, especially considering that Warzone Turbo is back and (hopefully) here to stay. You said it yourself, Snicker: customs can only be so fun for so long.
  • If the player turnout is bigger than expected, I suppose separate lobbies would suffice as an alternative to one big group. Perhaps, if everything goes right, to end off a night all the lobbies can come back into one and we could all do one last thing for the night, be it something like JDeltaWhiskey's Halo Musical or something else.
Welp, there's my thoughts. Make of them however you like.
Nicely put, yeah I agree about the splitting up of mods, hosting different lobbies to cater for more players. Also that would solve the warzone problem. If we had 4 separate mods in different party's. If everyone clicks join in a warzone match all 4 lobbies should join up. Allowing all 24 players across the 4 different lobbies to play against each other.
It was definitely a blast. I still have a few packs to give out, so those will be next time I suppose. Most of the things I would suggest have been mentioned. More advanced notice; some kind of rotation so that as many people as possible can partake, that kind of thing.

I'll be looking forward to the next bout and whatever the next host comes up with.

Edit:
Not really feedback: but I finally bother recording some stuff for the people who weren't there to enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx0lNDoZAjruBQxJW-o_HU4nDNwML7PbF

Includes all the clips from both session so far.
A suggestion I have would maybe host a shorter session on Thursday night alongside the Friday and Saturday ones. I don't have time to play during the weekend, and I'm sure others are the same way. Plus it would get others a chance to join the fun.
I never got to join because I was playing Matchmaking.
Vaudeur wrote:
Don't worry Deadshot, just friend request one of use active members, than on the 05/01, when the next game night will be held, join the custom match we are in.
Skippy575 wrote:
A suggestion I have would maybe host a shorter session on Thursday night alongside the Friday and Saturday ones. I don't have time to play during the weekend, and I'm sure others are the same way. Plus it would get others a chance to join the fun.
I'm not sure this is something we can reasonably do every month. We can look into having a CCN on a Thursday one month maybe but weekends are typically better so we can accommodate the Spartans across the pond. But generally speaking, we're aiming for one day a month, not two.

Vaudeur wrote:
Well. That sounds like a personal problem. :P
If the turnout is going to be so great that 1 lobby can't accommodate everyone, perhaps we could consider hosting 2 lobbies. We can indicate one as the primary lobby and one as the runoff lobby, if the primary becomes full. And if there aren't enough people to make a big second lobby, then we could just scrap the second lobby. Having a second lobby may be good in that it would help get more people playing instead of waiting to play. Just a thought.
Skippy575 wrote:
I'm not sure this is something we can reasonably do every month. We can look into having a CCN on a Thursday one month maybe but weekends are typically better so we can accommodate the Spartans across the pond. But generally speaking, we're aiming for one day a month, not two.

Vaudeur wrote:
Well. That sounds like a personal problem. :P
That's mean. Stop bullying.
Spoiler:
Show
My only feedback applies to custom games in general, and the reason why I don't enjoy them. When playing games like infection there are those that run around being silly and having a blast, and those that glitch to the top of the map and try to get mad killcounts. This concept can apply to many different custom games- the concept that some people are having silly fun and some people are trying their hardest to win.

Don't be the second person. Seriously. It's not fun. Custom games should be about being silly and having fun, not seeing who can get the best medal/KD spread. They really shouldn't even be about who wins unless they are in competitive gametypes like slayer, ctf, or other competitive game modes.

That's all I've got. I've edited this post about 30 times before posting it lol. It was a wall of text that came across real ranty but I narrowed it down to what you see here.

*steps off soapbox*
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5