Defending the Halo 5 cinematic intro

OP SpitFlame

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
I'll just put this out right now: the new cinematic trailer was pretty freaking epic. It fully showcased Fire Team Osiris and what they could do. It also starts off the first mission of the game. That's great! But then there are the, let us called, "uninformed" people who didn't like the trailer because it "wasn't like Halo". This single-handily proves that a good chunk of Halo fans know next to nothing about the lore. I'll go over the common arguments to defend this amazing trailer.

"This isn't Halo. It was too much action and appealing to 12 year old gamers."
Then I have some bad news, my friend—you'd probably hate the books, too. Seriously, whenever Spartans fight in the books, they're described running at super speeds, hitting so hard it breaks through walls and such, as well as climbing all over the place and killing enemies by the second. In the Fall of Reach, Master Chief back-handed a missile while running, as well as avoiding the explosion. This new trailer we got was the closest we've ever seen to what Spartans could actually do in the canon lore. This fight was more realistic for the Spartans than most—if not, everything—we've seen of them in the games.

"They took out an entire Covenant army way too easily. They weren't even a threat."
Well, Osiris caught them off guard, so that helped. It's also worth noting that the Covenant are significantly weaker in Halo 5 than they were before. That's because they were broken up and have less resources.

"Spartans are super soldiers, not superheroes. They were basically superheroes here."
Um... Captain America? Batman? They can be superheroes but not the Spartans because? Oh, and yes, when you save the human race on multiple occasions, I think you'd classify as a "superhero".

"The way they ran was weird."
Well, when you're dashing down a mountain at break-neck speeds with thruster packs making you go even faster, you're not gonna look like a person running normally. Also, they weren't really running; they were striding, more or less. As in, every step they took was more of a jump forward.
Stop using logic please.
I agree with everything you just said.
The trailer was cool, don't get me wrong, but it also totally killed a lot if the excitement for me because of how weak the enemies are portrayed. 343 can tell me Osiris is super hardcore all day long, but without an adequately bad -Yoink- opponent I never actually "feel" like they're anything special. It's like OK, so they can stomp noobs, great, but how would they do against an enemy who actually has some idea what they're doing?

Seeing that Zealot(Zealots we're told have thousands of personal kills under their belts, with a lifetime of warrior training) take a clumsy, slow swing at Vale with his sword only to get smacked aside while making no attempt to counter her makes our enemies out to be a joke, which in turn does nothing to make me impressed by our heroes.

I feel like the Covenant used to be portrayed as such a serious threat that when the Chief won you felt like he was a badass because you saw how he used tactics, strategy, and superior skill to defeat what was often a far more powerful opponent. It's the difference between winning because you're good, and winning because your enemy is bad. Given the portrayal of our enemies in the new trailer, Osiris seems to be doing the latter.
I agree with you, the trailer was cool.

But you're forgetting the argument that it wasn't nearly as emotional as some of the older trailers. Like the Halo 3 believe trailer. Or the Halo Reach Deliver Hope and Teaser trailer. Or the Halo 2 trailer...

This Intro doesn't make me give a single -Yoink- about these characters or the conflict in the game. After I was like "yeah, that was really cool". There was no sense of struggle or loss. Just a bunch of bland military bros -Yoinking!- covenant and prometheans up, which is entertaining but doesn't make me care for the story or the characters. Which is the POINT of an intro. We already know what these Spartans are capable of. I read Fall of Reach, and we've already seen a video of Locke -Yoinking!- stuff up. I was already a fan of Noble Team just after the initial trailers. But this.. was just silly. They could've had a little 20 second montage of the action AFTER some really emotional, intriguing stuff. Again, I would like to say that I enjoyed it, but it is not up to par with past trailers.

The two trailers with Chief and Locke that showed their differing perspectives. Now that... Was good.
Didn't really think the trailer needed to be defended. It can stand for itself.
The trailer was cool, don't get me wrong, but it also totally killed a lot if the excitement for me because of how weak the enemies are portrayed. 343 can tell me Osiris is super hardcore all day long, but without an adequately bad -Yoink- opponent I never actually "feel" like they're anything special. It's like OK, so they can stomp noobs, great, but how would they do against an enemy who actually has some idea what they're doing?

Seeing that Zealot(Zealots we're told have thousands of personal kills under their belts, with a lifetime of warrior training) take a clumsy, slow swing at Vale with his sword only to get smacked aside while making no attempt to counter her makes our enemies out to be a joke, which in turn does nothing to make me impressed by our heroes.

I feel like the Covenant used to be portrayed as such a serious threat that when the Chief won you felt like he was a badass because you saw how he used tactics, strategy, and superior skill to defeat what was often a far more powerful opponent. It's the difference between winning because you're good, and winning because your enemy is bad. Given the portrayal of our enemies in the new trailer, Osiris seems to be doing the latter.
I suppose you don't remember the books or the halo 3 super bowl trailer. Chief wakes up from a wraith hit and fights a dozen brutes, chieftain, and 3 wraiths with an assault rifle. Totally tactical with that rush in charge.
The enemies were portrayed as weak because Osiris was deployed behind enemy lines. The covenant were fighting already and were caught by surprise and taken out. I feel as though if Osiris attacked the covanant head on it would not have made them look as good.
I love how 343 is bringing Halo's games closer to the lore from the books. We should feel like Spartans when we play Halo, not bulkier marines with an extra bar of health.
SpitFlame wrote:
I'll just put this out right now: the new cinematic trailer was pretty freaking epic. It fully showcased Fire Team Osiris and what they could do. It also starts off the first mission of the game. That's great! But then there are the, let us called, "uninformed" people who didn't like the trailer because it "wasn't like Halo". This single-handily proves that a good chunk of Halo fans know next to nothing about the lore. I'll go over the common arguments to defend this amazing trailer.

Then I have some bad news, my friend—you'd probably hate the books, too. Seriously, whenever Spartans fight in the books, they're described running at super speeds, hitting so hard it breaks through walls and such, as well as climbing all over the place and killing enemies by the second. In the Fall of Reach, Master Chief back-handed a missile while running, as well as avoiding the explosion. This new trailer we got was the closest we've ever seen to what Spartans could actually do in the canon lore. This fight was more realistic for the Spartans than most—if not, everything—we've seen of them in the games.

"They took out an entire Covenant army way too easily. They weren't even a threat."
Well, Osiris caught them off guard, so that helped. It's also worth noting that the Covenant are significantly weaker in Halo 5 than they were before. That's because they were broken up and have less resources.

"Spartans are super soldiers, not superheroes. They were basically superheroes here."
Um... Captain America? Batman? They can be superheroes but not the Spartans because? Oh, and yes, when you save the human race on multiple occasions, I think you'd classify as a "superhero".

Well, when you're dashing down a mountain at break-neck speeds with thruster packs making you go even faster, you're not gonna look like a person running normally. Also, they weren't really running; they were striding, more or less. As in, every step they took was more of a jump forward.
He did that with Cortana's help, plus I'm pretty sure he was standing still. Cause in the book it said he knew he couldn't outrun it, so he turned to face the incoming jet.
Nalla78 wrote:

I suppose you don't remember the books or the halo 3 super bowl trailer. Chief wakes up from a wraith hit and fights a dozen brutes, chieftain, and 3 wraiths with an assault rifle. Totally tactical with that rush in charge.
Maybe you forgot that was promotional material and not canon? Whereas the Osiris trailer is by my understanding an in game cut scene, and so should be held to a higher standard of accuracy. But for the sake of arguement let's take Starry Night into account.

We never actually see him take a hit from a wraith, I assumed it was a near hit and he simply went flying from the blast. And the fact that he took a near fatal hit shows right there that the Covenant are actually a legitimate threat, unlike anything we saw in the Osiris trailer. Kinda supports my arguement that the Covies used to be portrayed as actually threatening, doesn't it? We also never saw how he dealt with those brutes, so that's not even an arguement.
The enemies were portrayed as weak because Osiris was deployed behind enemy lines. The covenant were fighting already and were caught by surprise and taken out. I feel as though if Osiris attacked the covanant head on it would not have made them look as good.
And admittedly this is a mitigating factor. But it still doesn't explain away that Zealot getting pimp slapped(he saw her coming and reacted) or stuff like a quick burst from an SMG dropping Elites and Prometheans.
Hey buddy, you're not allowed to use logic and facts on these forums. Trust me I've tried and people still refuted them
My problem with the running was that it seemed like they weren't interacting with the environment around them, it looked as if they were floating on the snow a bit. I also don't like how elites are still being shown as slow and clumsy, they are extremely agile and strong, taking them on up close would not be that easy.

Another thing, I don't know how hard it is to charge through solid rock, but that seemed a bit over the top. That being said, the trailer was pretty awesome overall and I look forward to the interaction between members of osiris.
SpitFlame wrote:

Couldn't agree more
And admittedly this is a mitigating factor. But it still doesn't explain away that Zealot getting pimp slapped(he saw her coming and reacted) or stuff like a quick burst from an SMG dropping Elites and Prometheans.
the Zealot on that Phantom was already wildly disoriented. The Phantom was spinning around and almost hit the ground. The Infinity and probably SOS were shelling the area and when that Phantom almost lost it, the last thing the Zealot expected to see was a human board the out of control Phantom. He probably had enough time to think "what the hell?" Right as he got his behind ejected.
Nalla78 wrote:

Maybe you forgot that was promotional material and not canon? Whereas the Osiris trailer is by my understanding an in game cut scene, and so should be held to a higher standard of accuracy. But for the sake of arguement let's take Starry Night into account.

We never actually see him take a hit from a wraith, I assumed it was a near hit and he simply went flying from the blast. And the fact that he took a near fatal hit shows right there that the Covenant are actually a legitimate threat, unlike anything we saw in the Osiris trailer. Kinda supports my arguement that the Covies used to be portrayed as actually threatening, doesn't it? We also never saw how he dealt with those brutes, so that's not even an arguement.
Since that trailer finishes in halo 4 it can be seen as canon. And that chieftain gladly met chief's backflip while his brute buddies died before him.
Sick to death of this crap... I swear this intolerant mentality is why I don't side with defenders anymore... Just all-in or all-out with you guys. No -Yoinking- grey areas for some reason...

Just because you and other members of the community don't agree on everything 343 hands you, doesn't mean you cease ALL efforts to coexist for short periods of time. It also doesn't mean you open entire threads just to make an even bigger scene out of what is essentially petty intolerance on both of your ends. I'm sick and tired of seeing this pattern of threads. These are clearly not debates made to sway minds or encourage intelligent discussion. It's just meaningless teenage squabble.
Nalla78 wrote:
Nalla78 wrote:

Since that trailer finishes in halo 4 it can be seen as canon. And that chieftain gladly met chief's backflip while his brute buddies died before him.
Interesting, never realized that was a continuation. Though my point does still stand, all we saw was him finishing off the last brute, not the actual fight. Did he strategize, did he use his surroundings to gain the advantage somehow, was it a hard fight? Or did he sweep them aside like teddy bears while they tripped over themselves, we don't know because it wasn't shown.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8