Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] [deleted]

OP

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
If you want sprint in the game this is the caveat, deal with it, it's not going to change
Obviously running away was a big problem in Reach and 4, and it should have been, and was, addressed in Halo 5. They basically made it impossible to run away and live with the combination of the fast kill times, no shield recharge, and stopping power. What a lot of people forget though is that people ran away in 2 and 3 all the time. It was a part of the game then and should be now. Reach and 4 made it too prevalent, and that should be toned down a bit, but removing it entirely isn't the right way to go either.

Preferably I would like to see Stopping Power kept, but the time it takes to reach full speed reduced, kill times increased across the board slightly, and sprint pausing your shield recharge timer instead of restarting it.
Unknown wrote:
Sprint is for travelling, not escape. That's why they added stopping power and non-regenerating shields while sprinting.

That's how it should be. Honestly I wish sprint didn't exist at all. It's fine for Arena I guess, since you'll want to keep your weapon up most of the time, but in BTB and Warzone it kinda makes vehicles less significant.
Obviously, opinions are going to vary with this topic. But, it makes running away from any fight nearly impossible. I'm not sure how this makes the game better. Halo 2 and 3 are old games with old mechanics that don't exactly stand the test of time. Slow movement is the main reason. If there was one feature that I truly, truly loathe about this game, stopping power is it.
I'm going to call BS right now... the mechanics in those games are what catepaulted the multiplayer in the series to what it is today. Adding additional features such as sprint and clamber only makes sense as it allows for more fluid motion and movement around a map. That being said, not allowing players to recharge shields during sprint is almost essential to these additional fluid movement features.

So, i'm not understanding. what is "Stopping power" as opposed to "sprint"? Or is it the same thing? Who the hell calls sprint "stopping power" ?
The fact that you hate it so much fills me with joy. I never wanted sprint in the game anyway but it's here and I'm glad you're furious you can't run away to recharge your shields. Stopping power seems to be working perfectly. Thanks for confirming.
As someone with poor aim and a penchant for fleeing battles, I assure you that escape is much easier now than in Halo 4. What really matters is whether it is made as a tactical decision or an impulsive reaction. Yes sprint has intentional weaknesses, but your overall enhanced mobility with thrust, clamber, and sliding leaves you with more flexible options for response when cornered.

For example, once stopped from sprinting, one could thrust to the side whilst using automatic blindfire to de-scope the pursuer. At this point one could then choose evasive strafing and utilization of the surroundings or attempt to close the distance. Either way, these are the same basic actions one would have normally taken in classic Halo games, with the only difference now being that you have more flexibility and verticality both as the hunted and the hunter.
You got the thruster pack if you need to do a quick escape.

If you're trying to run from out in the open, well you're gonna die.
All I'm thinking when I read these nerd comments about balancing and so on and so forth is a bunch of bull it comes down to this the plain simple fact is at the end of the day it's about playing well increasing your skill and surviving just because some slow -Yoink- can't keep up with me when I'm retreating doesn't mean you have to punish me either get better and get better shots in or expect the person to get away get rid of slow down stop catering to the people that suck get rid of the cool down for the shields that will force players do not rely on handicaps and crutches and actually say huh oh my God he's getting away or he got away maybe next time I'll work on my br or my DMR get better and not have to rely on stupid mechanics next time then maybe I'll actually get better
Yvern wrote:
I hate this mechanic too tbh. It's more of a hindrance then anything else. Add that with your shields not recharging and you might as well take sprint out entirely.
GOOD IDEA
Unknown wrote:
ChieftaiNZ wrote:
Make up your -Yoinking!- mind.

Sprint in halo 4 was bs, everyone hated it.
In Halo 5 they made it better, but apparently its still BS because you can't use it for the reason so many hate it.
I preferred how it was in Halo 4. You're not punished as heavily for movement.
No, instead your were rewarded for poor positioning.
Saberwind wrote:
All I'm thinking when I read these nerd comments about balancing and so on and so forth is a bunch of bull it comes down to this the plain simple fact is at the end of the day it's about playing well increasing your skill and surviving just because some slow -Yoink- can't keep up with me when I'm retreating doesn't mean you have to punish me either get better and get better shots in or expect the person to get away get rid of slow down stop catering to the people that suck get rid of the cool down for the shields that will force players do not rely on handicaps and crutches and actually say huh oh my God he's getting away or he got away maybe next time I'll work on my br or my DMR get better and not have to rely on stupid mechanics next time then maybe I'll actually get better
Good job bumping this thread.. wow.

Also, don't tell people to get better at the game when you're Gold.
Saberwind wrote:
How did you find this thread? It is from January. #necropost.
The entire point of the mechanic was to appease the people that love and the people that hate sprint. It makes it so you can't constantly run. It adds more thought to gameplay.
Saberwind wrote:
Please don't revive the old thread. Start a new one, quote them, but don't revive them.
If you're so far out from cover that you can't thrust back, and so far away from your team that no one can engage whoever is shooting you, then nature needs to take it's course.
Unknown wrote:
This feature is poisonous to the game, IMO. I truly feel like this is the most infuriating feature I've ever seen in a shooter. Sprint shouldn't be useless for escaping. What good is having a sprint button if you can't use it to escape a gun fight? What was the logic behind adding this mechanic? Are they trying to make this game more like Halo 2 and 3, where once you get shot, you have to fully commit to the fight, because running away is impossible? This idiotic mechanic wasn't in Halo 4 and Reach, so what was the logic in putting it in this game? It adds nothing to the game except heavily punishing players for moving around the map.
Players should be punished for moving about the map mindlessly. Back in my day when you got caught in a position you shouldn't have been you'd pay for it. You'd die, respawn, and hopefully learn from your mistake. Being able to use sprint as a get out of jail free card for your own bad map positioning is poisonous to Halo's gameplay.
Saberwind wrote:
Don't revive old threads.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3