Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Demoted rank?

OP Milki Tea

Been a while since I played H5 so I may be unaware of changes in the last year.

but why did I go from diamond 1 to platinum 6 after a loss? I thought you were locked into a rank, meaning once you are ‘diamond 1 you can’t be lower than that for the entire season?
No, competitive ranks have never worked like that in halo 5. Only your spartan rank is locked in.
Hmmm okay cheers mate, maybe it’s just never happened to me to notice then. Ah well.
Lange wrote:
No, competitive ranks have never worked like that in halo 5. Only your spartan rank is locked in.
Actually, they did used to work like that way back in the beginning when carrying/boosting was at its peak. The reason it was changed (a long time ago) so that you could be demoted from a rank tier (Diamond to Plat, etc.) was because those players who rode their teammates' coattails into the Onyx/Champ tier quickly found out that they weren't actually Onyx/Champ-tier when they went Solo against real Onyx/Champ-tier competition. So they were "rank-locked" at a level that was too difficult for them and would consistently get destroyed.
Lange wrote:
Actually, they did used to work like that way back in the beginning when carrying/boosting was at its peak. The reason it was changed (a long time ago) so that you could be demoted from a rank tier (Diamond to Plat, etc.) was because those players who rode their teammates' coattails into the Onyx/Champ tier quickly found out that they weren't actually Onyx/Champ-tier when they went Solo against real Onyx/Champ-tier competition. So they were "rank-locked" at a level that was too difficult for them and would consistently get destroyed.
Thanks for clarifying, I guess when I played way back I stayed consistent within a tier. Sounds like a good change though.