Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Depleted energy sword, use handle for melee only?

OP F0XH0UNDUNIT

What's going on fellow Spartans and Spartanitas (love to the ladies), was curious about the a property of the energy sword: once you've used all of the energy, can you use the bare handle (the grip the sword is attached too) as a straight up melee weapon?

I, unfortunately (sad), have not been able to use an energy sword to its end, but have seen videos online, and noticed the grip itself looks like a pretty beastly blunt object you can easily knock someone on the head with for a melee. Has anyone ever tried to do this? Or does it give you the "No Ammo" message?

From my understanding some of the gravity hammers can be used in melee form without eating energy, by using the butt end to wack-a-mole your opponent, could this same style/feature be applied to the ES?

I know some of the swords can be OP (looking at you Mr. Bane) but I think that'd be a pretty unique feature if you could just use the swords grip as a weapon itself.
I haven't had an empty sword in some time but if I remember correctly it hits like a standard melee same lunge range and same damage. It's kinda cool just to run around with since it doesn't take up really any extra amounts of the screen.
I'm pretty sure it does the same damage and range as a regular melee. The only difference is that holding the empty sword still gives you the extra movement speed.
It is a rare thing indeed to have an empty sword in halo 5.
I managed to empty my sword several times and I can say,the range and damage is the same as an standard meele.
I'm pretty sure it does the same damage and range as a regular melee. The only difference is that holding the empty sword still gives you the extra movement speed.
100% correct
If I remember correctly, the only benefit of keeping an empty sword is its speed.
As others have said, it's just a normal melee at that point. Same thing with an empty hammer.
(Was so satisfying to empty a gavel in turbo, then get one more kill with it after)
This has been a feature since Halo 2, like others have stated it becomes a normal melee weapon however it feels like the magnetism for the swing is slightly better.
As others have said, it's just a normal melee at that point. Same thing with an empty hammer.
(Was so satisfying to empty a gavel in turbo, then get one more kill with it after)
What lol, everybody knows you keep the last 5% charge for the speed and double shield strength and just do regular hammer melees.

As for the topic on hand, I'm really surprised the 10% energy sword boost remains even on 0% energy.
JohnDang55 wrote:
What lol, everybody knows you keep the last 5% charge for the speed and double shield strength and just do regular hammer melees.

As for the topic on hand, I'm really surprised the 10% energy sword boost remains even on 0% energy.
I didn't know that. Does that make me a nobody?
It's quite hilarious beating other players into a pulp with a depleted Energy Sword. Hell, you can still pull off the sword assassinations too!
I agree with Vegeto, an empty energy sword deals the same damage as any weapon melee.
It would be like a brass knuckles
Standard melee. Might as well have your rifle equipped just in case you need to shoot.
JohnDang55 wrote:

I was in the "getting a killionaire" zone, and I think I needed a ranged attack.
What's going on fellow Spartans and Spartanitas (love to the ladies)
Pretty sure Spartan is a universal term.

Yes, you can use the handle of the Energy Sword for melee, it is not very useful it is still a two hit kill since you're pretty much punching your enemy to death.
Get a Prophets Bane. Use it to completion. Assassinate someone with the empty handle. You'll magically lift them up with your mind or punch them on the neck so hard that you slit their throat
HaXoR73 wrote:
It's quite hilarious beating other players into a pulp with a depleted Energy Sword. Hell, you can still pull off the sword assassinations too!
I would assume so, knocking your opponents out with a handle, it's the bare equivalent to "hittin' em with everything and the kitchen sink." On second thought, I'd be kinda upset if I got killed by a 0% weapon, that's pretty booty to be that guy
Get a Prophets Bane. Use it to completion. Assassinate someone with the empty handle. You'll magically lift them up with your mind or punch them on the neck so hard that you slit their throat
It was actually the PB that made me wonder if it were possible, the grip looks like an out-of-ammo needler.
What's going on fellow Spartans and Spartanitas (love to the ladies)
Pretty sure Spartan is a universal term.

Yes, you can use the handle of the Energy Sword for melee, it is not very useful it is still a two hit kill since you're pretty much punching your enemy to death.
Ahh see I thought it kept the same one-hitter feature, that makes sense though or it'd be the only item players would use, exploicity-style.

Its about as close to beating someone with your fists as you'll get in the game, yeah.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."