Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

do you agree with how armor works in halo 5?

OP fastcharger1

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Armor.... Were do we begin? It makes you feel powerful, and put fear in the hearts and minds of others.... It makes you look like a Christmas decorated BATTLE TANK......you feel achieved when wearing it... But now, you have to open loot packs to get them, i don't Like it, it takes the achievement away. You have to get them by luck now, must of them. When u see someone wearing the game's rarest armor you get in loot packs, you arn't afraid of them anymore, as all they needed to do was a long but easy, maybe easy grind. They didn't acompish something outstanding, do you argee or disagree with me?
What about Achilles, Olive, Timmy and helioskrill?
Ahh those, am talking bout armor u can only get in req packs, those are excluded from the argument, just letting you know ;)
I don't like the REQ unlock system and I don't like how it's only helmet and armor.
Armor.... Were do we begin? It makes you feel powerful, and put fear in the hearts and minds of others.... It makes you look like a Christmas decorated BATTLE TANK......you feel achieved when wearing it... But now, you have to open loot packs to get them, i don't Like it, it takes the achievement away. You have to get them by luck now, must of them. When u see someone wearing the game's rarest armor you get in loot packs, you arn't afraid of them anymore, as all they needed to do was a long but easy, maybe easy grind. They didn't acompish something outstanding, do you argee or disagree with me?
I like the loot system with the req pack, but I find it suitable only for weapons, boosts, bonuses, poses and skins not for armor and helmets. The Halo Reach system is probably the best, with the ability to customize your spartan to the maximum and buy with a currency in game pieces of armor that we like. Why have dozens of useless armor, when I would like only and exclusively a type of armor and helmet? Surely with the current system the players are "forced" to remain glued to the game longer, but in the end it is unnerving.
I think most players would agree Halo 5’s system is not rewarding.
Dislike it, makes it to hard to get in my opinion. Opening REQ packs and hoping just blows
Armor should be unlocked by completing achievements or challenges. I think REQ weapons are fine in packs but you should know exactly what you're paying for. Like a whiplash pack or banshee pack ,etc.
I disagree on achievements. Especially luck based achievements. I prefer the Reach system myself, and I think they should go back to that (just have credits separate from rank)
While I can agree there should have been way more armors, and actually cosmetics in general, that you unlocked via achievements, especially as bloated as the req system got. However I have never been intimidated by some ones armor. Its sad to see games, and kinda life in general, going to every one deserves a trophy...nothing truly earned. Hopefully Infinite has more achievement based cosmetics but time will tell. But odds are against it IMO. I think 343 likes the simple grind system, it's all they have pretty much made.
I liked the way Reach did armor customization. 343 has said that Infinite will have an armor system similar to Reach.
I agree with all of you, Reach's customization system was the best
Halo Reach had the most organized system when it came to customization in Halo. If Halo 5 had the same customization system as Reach, then I couldn't imagine how much easier it would've been to find a specific helmet or armor piece to wear. Halo 5 does have organization, but it is by REQ rank which still makes it harder to find specific helmets and armor pieces you're looking for to put on your SPARTAN.
I can remember a lot of distinct armor pieces from Halo 3, 4, and Reach. It feels like a lot of the armor in Halo 5 is just... bland. Like try to describe a piece of uncommon or rare armor that doesnt apply to almost 20 other armor sets. "Well it has jagged edges, white stripes, kind of square looking". Theres a lot more armor sets than other games but over half of them look bad or are super forgettable. And then applying the req system you end up with tons of uninteresting slightly changed armors that will never be equipped except on accident.
What about Achilles, Olive, Timmy and helioskrill?
4 out of about 197 sets, and they're not everyone's tastes aesthetically. Additionally though, Achilles isn't earned by the individual and relies entirely on time being put in by over a hundred other players, while Olive and Timmy are arbitrarily given based on others' perceptions of if your forged creations are good enough.

I feel like Halo 5's armor was done in a very bad way. It doesn't feel related to skill or achievement, just time put in. You don't have to work hard, just work long. It's a grind, and unlike Reach's reasonable for the vast majority of sets, in order to get some of the rarer items in Halo 5, you're looking at hundreds or thousands of hours of just pure matchmaking grinding, OR paying real money which makes it even less of an achievement.

Halo 3 and 4 had it right, with some based on playtime(ranks), but the rest based on Campaign, Commendations, or Multiplayer Achievements. You could actively work towards which sets you wanted to earn in most cases, and in Halo 4, even most of the rank based armor, you could choose which specific sets to work for by choosing your specialization. Actually, I'd love to see a lot more armors able to be earned through the Campaign.

Nothing is earned from Halo 5's campaign. The only Campaign related items in Halo 5 aren't even earned from Halo 5 itself, and that's pretty pathetic.

One last point: because of the REQ system, they reduced armor to "head" and "body". Face it, that wasn't due to hardware limitations, it was because people would riot if they made every single obtainable piece separately earned from REQ packs. If they brought the old way back, they could have individually selected pieces that are unlocked together or in order as you progress through an objective.
I've stopped caring a long time ago. I don't feel anything seeing someone else's armor, I can barely tell the difference when I'm shooting them down.

Seeing them in Halo Reach didn't do anything because all but maybe 3 pieces could be bought before you're halfway to Inheritor.
I really dislike the way customization is limited to full armor, helmet, and visor. To make it worse, like everyone is saying, it's passed off a loot crate system. I get that loot crates were in like every game but seriously there's nothing special about the armor now. I'd like to see a move closer to that of Reach, as we have been given hints of. I really think that being able to make your spartan unique is what makes online modes even more fun.
cnm rambo wrote:
I really dislike the way customization is limited to full armor, helmet, and visor. To make it worse, like everyone is saying, it's passed off a loot crate system. I get that loot crates were in like every game but seriously there's nothing special about the armor now. I'd like to see a move closer to that of Reach, as we have been given hints of. I really think that being able to make your spartan unique is what makes online modes even more fun.
Lol, friendly reminder, u got a few things incorrect, but i see ur point
I totally agree with you, before in Halo Reach, Halo 4 or Halo 3 it was work hard for the specific armor you want it. I’m my case I love the ODST armors and I haven been always wearing it cross Halo games. I have unlocked 200 Helmets and 203 Body armor, I literally have all common to ultra rare things, not only the armors, all the equipments and all that stuff was already unlocked it too, God I even unlocked all the Noble Team armors without buying those Memories of Reach REQ Packs.

BUT NO HELLJUMPER!!! They want I unlock everything!?!?! I did the math and it seems I have to buy 50 Gold REQ Packs for unlock the rest of the things are missing that is only legendary! And I can bet to you it will be in the last Packs I will buy.

Before you had to work hard for what you want, earn an achievement, save credits or do a commendations as in the previous Halo games, and when you earn your armor you wear it with pride in the games. Br now is just a -Yoinking!- luck of -Yoink-. I have seen people of Rank 76 with the Helljumper armor, I’m 118 and I don’t have that armor at all.

Honestly i I was defending 343i within Halo 5 before but that in company with other -Yoink- I noticed in my path to get that armor made me got sick.

They really betrayed my trust and they will have to work a lot of with Halo infinite at least for fix it with and other people too who fall in their -Yoink-.
Depends on what you mean by armour. The way they organise finding armour is generally poorly handled, not well organised.
As for armour types....it really depends on the armour type since I've seen helmet's that make me seriously wonder what the designers were thinking since there just not practical to use and general blind the Spartan while there's other's that seem fine and actually make sense, then there's skins too that I generally don't care for.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2