Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Do you feel like Armor holds no value anymore?

OP Redstone

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 24
Think back to the days of Halo 3 and Reach. Remember in Halo 3 how you had to do something to unlock armor? I remember seeing the Hayabusa armor in a lobby once and thinking "Holy crap, how do I get that cool armor?". I busted my -Yoink- trying to get all the skulls (Screw you IWBHYD skull) and it was fun as hell to collecting all of them, especially the ones I tried to find before googling for help and finding some plain-text IGN guide on the locations. Once I collected the whole set, I felt like I had accomplished something. I put time into something and I got something cool out of it. I'll never forget the time spent trying to play on Legendary through the whole campaign to get the EOD helmet. I wore that awesome helment for weeks with pride. I remember finally getting to 750 Gamerscore to unlock the Security shoulders. That took a lot of effort for me. Then, the ultimate prize (or so I thought). Getting that last 250 gamerscore. God damn, some of those last few achievements were difficult to get. The par score for Cortana was my last because that level creeped me out when I was younger. I finally got 1000/1000 gamerscore. I got the Katana. I was grinning ear to ear. I had probably only ever seen 25-ish other players with it before. The feeling of accomplishing something that took time and effort was great. I still look back fondly on it. Don't even get me started on how much of a blast it was trying to get all those Vidmaster Achievements for Recon armor. Nothing says fun like 4 hours of laughs, tension and excitement with mates trying to plow through that last mission in Ghosts, or the feeling of sitting on the edge of my seat trying to get that Vidmaster Endure achievement. That took me about 5 attempts because of those random disconnects towards the end of the match.

Halo Reach wasn't quote the same, but there was still a decent feeling of accomplishment. You still had to push yourself to play well enough to level up and unlock those armor pieces. Not quite as varied as Halo 3, but still fun in its own way. I'd still see someone with something like the EVA [C] helmet in a lobby and think "thats cool as hell".

Halo 5 seems to have none of that for me. I saw that unicorn-looking helmet at the end of a match yesterday and just though "thats unusual". I had such a neutral reaction to it. For some reason, that reaction got my mind working. Why wasn't I caring more? Why did it feel so "meh"? I started to think and I realised a few things.

One thing I realised is that this dude/dudette got it from a random Req Pack. They got it completely randomly. He/she did nothing but get lucky. They did nothing specific of significance to get it. They probably bought a Req Pack with points you get for just playing, or with real money, and happened to be favored by the Random Number Generator and got a cool helmet. Thats it. They didn't really accomplish anything extraordinary challenging or difficult to get it. They just got lucky. It doesn't matter if it was their first Req Pack or their 100th Req Pack. They got it randomly without doing anything special.

The other thing I realised is that there was nothing I could do to unlock that helmet. There was no adventure of trying to find out how to get it and then attempting to do what would have needed to be done. All I could do is buy Req Packs and hope to get lucky. Nothing else. Even if I did get it, so what? I just got lucky. I didn't accomplish anything significantly challenging.

Do you feel like this? Do you have any thoughts on it? It feels to me like a part of the Halo experience is missing because of how armor is handled. I know aren't and can't change how it works at this point, and I know they are likely not going to ever go back to a system similar to the old ones for future Halos.

TL;DR: Unlocking in armor in Halo 3/Reach had a sense of accomplishment for me. Unlocking armor in Halo 5 doesn't. It feels to me like it has no value. How do you feel about it.

I'd suggest taking the time to read the whole thing and not just the tldr. It will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about whether you've played past Halo games or not. I've probably also left out a few points I wanted to make. My mind tends to race when I write out long posts.
halo 3 and 4 are the only games where you actually had to accomplish something
I think halo 5's system is acceptable because of the sheer amount of armor pieces
I personally hated reach's as it was just "oh wow that guy saved up for that?"

luck makes stuff a little more unique imo
I feel like armor still has its value, and it's fun to wait in anticipation as your REQ pack bursts open.
I feel like armor still has its value, and it's fun to wait in anticipation as your REQ pack bursts open.
I think the very opposite of this. I see no point in armor anymore.
If I get a cool armor, great. But I don't care for it anymore.
I like the req system for armors, but I also kind of dislike it. I like that pretty much all of the armor is random so I can feel comfortable wearing whatever I like the look of. Whereas in older Halos i'd feel more compelled to wear the armor that was harder to get or took more work to acquire in a sense. But in this game since its random then I kind of don't care. The only armor worth really showing off and feeling excited over is the mythic armor like centurion etc. I currently wear the Athlon set simply because I like it and it is one of the first designs unique to H5 that actually looks good.
It never had a value to me, I just wear what I think looks good. As anyone who uses cosmetics should.
Redstone wrote:
Think back to the days of Halo 3 and Reach. Remember in Halo 3 how you had to do something to unlock armor? I remember seeing the Hayabusa armor in a lobby once and thinking "Holy crap, how do I get that cool armor?". I busted my -Yoink- trying to get all the skulls (Screw you IWBHYD skull) and it was fun as hell to collecting all of them, especially the ones I tried to find before googling for help and finding some plain-text IGN guide on the locations. Once I collected the whole set, I felt like I had accomplished something. I put time into something and I got something cool out of it. I'll never forget the time spent trying to play on Legendary through the whole campaign to get the EOD helmet. I wore that awesome helment for weeks with pride. I remember finally getting to 750 Gamerscore to unlock the Security shoulders. That took a lot of effort for me. Then, the ultimate prize (or so I thought). Getting that last 250 gamerscore. God damn, some of those last few achievements were difficult to get. The par score for Cortana was my last because that level creeped me out when I was younger. I finally got 1000/1000 gamerscore. I got the Katana. I was grinning ear to ear. I had probably only ever seen 25-ish other players with it before. The feeling of accomplishing something that took time and effort was great. I still look back fondly on it. Don't even get me started on how much of a blast it was trying to get all those Vidmaster Achievements for Recon armor. Nothing says fun like 4 hours of laughs, tension and excitement with mates trying to plow through that last mission in Ghosts, or the feeling of sitting on the edge of my seat trying to get that Vidmaster Endure achievement. That took me about 5 attempts because of those random disconnects towards the end of the match.

Halo Reach wasn't quote the same, but there was still a decent feeling of accomplishment. You still had to push yourself to play well enough to level up and unlock those armor pieces. Not quite as varied as Halo 3, but still fun in its own way. I'd still see someone with something like the EVA [C] helmet in a lobby and think "thats cool as hell".

Halo 5 seems to have none of that for me. I saw that unicorn-looking helmet at the end of a match yesterday and just though "thats unusual". I had such a neutral reaction to it. For some reason, that reaction got my mind working. Why wasn't I caring more? Why did it feel so "meh"? I started to think and I realised a few things.

One thing I realised is that this dude/dudette got it from a random Req Pack. They got it completely randomly. He/she did nothing but get lucky. They did nothing specific of significance to get it. They probably bought a Req Pack with points you get for just playing, or with real money, and happened to be favored by the Random Number Generator and got a cool helmet. Thats it. They didn't really accomplish anything extraordinary challenging or difficult to get it. They just got lucky. It doesn't matter if it was their first Req Pack or their 100th Req Pack. They got it randomly without doing anything special.

The other thing I realised is that there was nothing I could do to unlock that helmet. There was no adventure of trying to find out how to get it and then attempting to do what would have needed to be done. All I could do is buy Req Packs and hope to get lucky. Nothing else. Even if I did get it, so what? I just got lucky. I didn't accomplish anything significantly challenging.

Do you feel like this? Do you have any thoughts on it? It feels to me like a part of the Halo experience is missing because of how armor is handled. I know aren't and can't change how it works at this point, and I know they are likely not going to ever go back to a system similar to the old ones for future Halos.

TL;DR: Unlocking in armor in Halo 3/Reach had a sense of accomplishment for me. Unlocking armor in Halo 5 doesn't. It feels to me like it has no value. How do you feel about it.

I'd suggest taking the time to read the whole thing and not just the tldr. It will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about whether you've played past Halo games or not. I've probably also left out a few points I wanted to make. My mind tends to race when I write out long posts.
I couldn't agree more with you
halo 3 and 4 are the only games where you actually had to accomplish something
I think halo 5's system is acceptable because of the sheer amount of armor pieces
I personally hated reach's as it was just "oh wow that guy saved up for that?"

luck makes stuff a little more unique imo
I wasn't a huge fan of Reaches system either, but at least it gave something to work towards.

Does luck not completely get rid of the sense of accomplishment for you? Would you rather buy a Lego set or jigsaw prebuilt or build it yourself? Would you rather try to build that cool Forge map in your head, or wait for someone else to come up with the same idea and download it if/when they make it?
Still wearing the same armor I had from day 1. The armor in Halo 5 is too meh for me to care to change anything.
It never had a value to me, I just wear what I think looks good. As anyone who uses cosmetics should.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you read the post. It was mostly about the sense of accomplishment of earning a set of armor by doing something significant instead of just randomly being handed it.
Yes it's worthless. Some of my fondest gaming memories are playing through hours of ODST Firefight and Halo 3 campaign with my friends for the vidmasters achievements to unlock recon.

Even though we now have hundreds of different armour combinations, what's the point?

Less was definitely more back then.
Apex Canis wrote:
Still wearing the same armor I had from day 1. The armor in Halo 5 is too meh for me to care to change anything.
Thats a bit of a different topic, but I agree with you. Halo 4 and 5s armor for me didn't really look unique or distinguished enough. It was all masked by visual noise, in my opinion. It was a more more unique in Halo 3 and Reach and it wasn't too over saturated with choice.
I don't think any armor will hold a candle to the utter want for recon I had. I've never had the same kind of wonder for an unlockable in a game like I did for recon, especially because recon wasn't obtainable for a while, if I remember correctly. It's been a while.
I like this system better, it encourages variety. In halo 3 and even in Reach everyone just went for the same armours.
Halo 5 also has too many of the same armors, with not enough customization. I felt Reach had the best armors and customization, although I totally agree with OP's lack of purpose in the new system. In reach you could change so many little detail down to your knee pads and tac pad, while Halo 5 gives you premade bodies, with a helmet and a visor options and not much else.
I don't think any armor will hold a candle to the utter want for recon I had. I've never had the same kind of wonder for an unlockable in a game like I did for recon, especially because recon wasn't obtainable for a while, if I remember correctly. It's been a while.
I remember my friends talking about this guy that shot himself with a cone and got Recon. I'll never forget trying to come up with ideas on how to impress Bungie enough to hopefully get them to give it to me. I gave up on it until they finally made it available to anyone who got all the Vidmaster achievements.
JOLTLORD wrote:
I like this system better, it encourages variety. In halo 3 and even in Reach everyone just went for the same armours.
Do you not find that all of the armor in this game just kind of blends in? None if it has any real significance. You don't often take any notice of it. You just look at a dude armor for a second and think "cool." and nothing else of it.
IMO i remember working my -Yoink- to earn some armors
With halo 5 its the same, im working my -Yoink- to earn some req points
Sure its lucky you earn some pieces of equipment, but most of the time nobody ever gives a yoink
Its not gonna make faster or harder to kill, even if the people with the helmet that looks like dead space grab that piece by luck or by paying real money for the packages, they workedfor those points and/or that money
Everything is worthless because:

1) Random loot that you get for doing nothing
and
2) You can pay real money for everything
Edit: So many times when I post it end up being on the bottom of the page. Lol. Moved
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 24