Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Do you feel like Armor holds no value anymore?

OP Redstone

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 8
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. ...
  9. 24
Armor? Value? Hence the common/legendary rarity in items set forth by 343? I mean what else could you want? I'm sure there is some 343 armor that is unobtainable. Does that satisfy your armor superstition?
I'd rather have certain pieces be set to certain goals and have the more common stuff be set to random how it is now. I loved the incentive that 3 especially gave to do everything.
Armor never held any value. Stop fooling yourself.
it should be like destiny and have randomly gained armour and 'quest' amour
I think I would still feel pretty accomplished if I got a legendary armor piece, even though it is all just luck.
343 could bring back daily challenges and this wouldn't be a problem.
Its worthless. Recon meant something in 3. Hell, Reach even rewarded you by giving you armor for completing certain things in 3 and odst. Back when waypoint actually had an app. Now its some kid begging his mom to buy him a chance at armor. When someone wore recon I knew they had earned it. Even in 4 i knew based off armor they unlocked through commendations, what kind of players I was dealing with. Now that kid who has the cool armor is just another push over who got lucky. Not like 343 gave you anything for the last game or even beating this one on legendary... Sigh. Money grabbing sell outs. Could have least gave us a full game on release...
I like the req pack idea better than anything halo has had to offer. I don't want to waste my life working for armor. I'd rather get lucky than watch people with no life get armor that I would have the time to get. Do you realize how hard I work in real life to afford an Xbox one? Or find the time to play and have cool armor doing it? Working hard in a game is not as accomplishing as in real life and spending that hard earned money to open a gold pack and getting a legendary helmet or piece of armor is way more rewarding than who played the most hours. Or found a dumb skull. I have a life outside Halo. I don't want to feel less accomplished than some snot faced kid who has the time to find random crap in the game. I'm an adult who works hard in real life, there for I should have the better armor, after all I spent my own money buying that armor, or my own time, which is money in my world.
You work hard for your money and "have a life", whatever that's supposed to mean. Great. I'd have more sympathy for you if it weren't for the fact that your attitude on this matter sucks.

If it's about spending money, then I should have everything too since I spent a minimum of $800 on Halo 5 between the H5 Console, Limited Collector's Edition and Limited Edition Guide.

I'm only entitled to the exclusive content bundled with the items I paid extra money for, that's it. Anything else? I should work for.

Throwing around extra money isn't how it should work, things should be earned through time and effort. It's this same willingness to throw money around for things like micro transactions that is leading companies to rush games just to release them in time for the holidays, because if someone is dumb enough to buy a dance pack on Destiny or is impatient enough to buy a $2 REQ pack that can be earned in -30 min, then they sure as hell will buy a buggy game that's barely at beta-level development.

Back on subject though..

If you work as hard for your money as you claim, then why spend the extra money you worked for, to just have everything given to you? What is the point of playing video games if you have no goal to work towards or you're not willing to spend the time actually playing the game you paid for? Doesn't really sound like you value your money or the effort it took to earn it. You should consider investing that money, because then it would serve a purpose. Or maybe donating to a charity?

I'm also curious as to how you're entitled to more that that "snot faced kid" if money was still spent purchasing that game for them, and that kid is actually spending time playing that game and you're not. Is your money somehow worth more than the currency that was spent on their copy of the game?

I dunno bud, I think you've got a crappy outlook on things, but I hope you find your money was well spent.
Disagree: The old system of rank up = more amour did give players a sense of accomplishment, but did not allow for variation in armour, which renders most pieces of armour worthless, since when everybody gets to a certain level, everybody unlocks and wears the armour that looks the coolest and every 10 people look exactly the same as each-other.
The new REQ system allows for more variation of armour, as even if two people are the same level, or even if 1 player is 100 SR's above another, the first player may have Rare, Ultra-Rare or Legendary armour. The system allows players to anticipate opening REQ packs, as it is a complete mystery what they will get from it. Players with Ultra-Rare, Legendary or even Mythic pieces of armour, helmets and so forth get these items from complete chance, and are each person will differ.
I'll state this clearly, this are my thoughts about the new REQ system and I personally think it works well, because the armour I've unlocked was from complete chance, and the chances that 90% of players I run into have that same armour is low, which gives it immense worth for me.
Your point about super special armour you only get after completing hours, even days worth of challenges is true; it does give players a massive sense of worth (and I applaud you - I never had the time and / patience to get that), but Halo 5 also has various Legendary and "Mythic" armour you can unlock through other means.
At the moment my friend is stuck into Halo: The Master Chief Collection, completing legendary campaign after legendary campaign. Completing all 4 campaigns on legendary will reward him with the 'Legend' achievement, and the 'Helioskrill' armour set and helmet,a mythic set and super-duper ultra rare. Basically the odds of getting this armour when playing through the game normally is very low, however completing these challenges will reward you with something you can be proud of, and soak in the faces of your enemies, and most of all, your friends.
Anyway, just my thoughts on the new REQ system.
Its worthless. Recon meant something in 3. Hell, Reach even rewarded you by giving you armor for completing certain things in 3 and odst. Back when waypoint actually had an app. Now its some kid begging his mom to buy him a chance at armor. When someone wore recon I knew they had earned it. Even in 4 i knew based off armor they unlocked through commendations, what kind of players I was dealing with. Now that kid who has the cool armor is just another push over who got lucky. Not like 343 gave you anything for the last game or even beating this one on legendary... Sigh. Money grabbing sell outs. Could have least gave us a full game on release...
Wrong. Completing various challenges in Halo: The Master Chief Collection; including completing all 4 campaigns on legendary, will reward you with legendary and mythic armour helmets. Do your research before you make your argument.
Also, the armour is called Helioskrill, fyi.
I'm torn because yes I loved that feeling of accomplishment but at the same time I was stuck in Hayabusa. I didn't want to wear anything else because of the trials and tribulations it took to get. Now I can change armors once a week and not feel bad about it, I still like wearing Rare quality gear but there is no much variety that it's really quite nice.

Getting to your point of checking out someone else's armor, I compliment people all the time. Saying damn that's cool, what is the name of that? And just hoping that I get lucky and get something just as cool or cooler than that one.

Verdict: I miss the accomplishment but I also like the (almost) forced variety. Also as someone with helioskrill, it kinda looks -Yoink-.
I agree
Armor is just something you get randomly now.
No point to trying to get it.
You have no control over it...
i agree, Halo 3 armors really gave you something to work towards and to celebrate when you achieved it, like getting 1000GS and having the Katana on your back,
I agree with OP yes they where hard to get but you earned them. I also dont mind the current armour system of getting via reqs. What would be cool would be to have those special sexy bits of armour to unlock also. Like something for the LASO run through. Hard to do but if you see someone with one set of unique armour you just know they toiled and worked for it. Remember the flaming helmets! Those where sick fetch them back!!
I earned my recruit armour :-)
Halo Reach was my favorite. So much customization. Halo 3 was unique when getting the hyabusa armor. Ahhh the good ol' days.
The current system is fine it's designed to keep you coming back
Well this armor I got on holds value due to its history of it and Venator is my baby due to its looks
In Halo 5, it really depends on your taste of armor.
It's new, and the luck makes it exciting. Knowing that as a casual gamer I don't have to spend 100000 hours of game time to save up/unlock the most unique rarest armor piece is a plus.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 8
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. ...
  9. 24