Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Do you feel like Armor holds no value anymore?

OP Redstone

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 24
No. It has a lot of value.
Agree OP. The armor you get is solely based on randomness you will find withing your REQ pack. No accomplishment, no strive. Won a game went 1-25, here's some req points. Won a game and went 25-1, here's some req points...

Those Vidmasters from H3 were one hell of a quest. Was so excited the day I got Recon. I even remember helping out a friend on the Halo 3 last mission legendary iron skull ghost achievement. We were so close after a couple of hours but my connection decided to cut out and all that time went down the drain.

For the ODST firefight achievement we got it on the second try. Failed on the first try literally on the second last round.

The armors in H5 are pretty much worthless. It is even made worse by the fact that you can only view them after a game has ended, and not before. Oh how I miss the Halo Reach lobby.
I agree with you. I liked the challenge.
Agree OP. The armor you get is solely based on randomness you will find withing your REQ pack. No accomplishment, no strive. Won a game went 1-25, here's some req points. Won a game and went 25-1, here's some req points...

Those Vidmasters from H3 were one hell of a quest. Was so excited the day I got Recon. I even remember helping out a friend on the Halo 3 last mission legendary iron skull ghost achievement. We were so close after a couple of hours but my connection decided to cut out and all that time went down the drain.

For the ODST firefight achievement we got it on the second try. Failed on the first try literally on the second last round.

The armors in H5 are pretty much worthless. It is even made worse by the fact that you can only view them after a game has ended, and not before. Oh how I miss the Halo Reach lobby.
I used to love helping out friends, and even random, find all the skulls in co-op. I probably helped about 30 different people get them. I helped a few people get the Vidmaster Annual on that last mission.

Halo 3 had my favorite lobby. I really liked Reaches too. Halo 5s entire UI feels like a mess. Its like they spent 20 mins thinking of what needs to be in it and then just had the designed draw it up and then have it programmed. It feels like they didn't really think it through and compare it to other games.
No. It has a lot of value.
Please elaborate.
Well they said mk iv and mk v would be in the game so hopefully you have to do some sort of challange to get them.
Sure, the process of achieving some nice armor has changed, but in the end, it's simply things to make you look cool and/or unique. Though, I do admit that I've liked the challenges of past Halo games.
A) It's just armor. Stop pretending it's the gonna be the last word on your tombstone.
B) If you need a sense of "accomplishment" then get a job.
C) People starting threads about what they wear and how they look... did I stumble into a forum for Teen Vogue?
Redstone wrote:
I used to love helping out friends, and even random, find all the skulls in co-op. I probably helped about 30 different people get them. I helped a few people get the Vidmaster Annual on that last mission.

Halo 3 had my favorite lobby. I really liked Reaches too. Halo 5s entire UI feels like a mess. Its like they spent 20 mins thinking of what needs to be in it and then just had the designed draw it up and then have it programmed. It feels like they didn't really think it through and compare it to other games.
I liked Halo 3's ui, but Reach's was a natural progression of the one in 3. The only gripe I had with H3 lobbies was that you could not view detailed stats of a player. Reach was basically the pinnacle of UI design for Halo. 343i took a couple steps backwards with Halo 4 and then fell off a cliff with Halo 5.
It was all downhill after the haunted helmet.
It should be a hybrid system.

1) Have some armor unlocked by doing certain things like beating the campaign on legendary
2) Have a buying system like Reach. Where you steadily earn points that you can use to buy certain armor pieces.
3) Have the REQ system where you can use your points to buy a random pack that gives you a chance to earn rare armor or armor you couldn't otherwise buy. (This doesn't include achievement or action based armor).

The problem with Reach's system is that it place value on some armor more than others. So people were more interested in buying the most expensive armor rather than the armor they liked the most, as cheap armor was looked down upon.

The problem with Halo 3's system is that only having action based armor limited the variety but increased the quality. While Halo 5 has a lot of variety, not all of it is high quality.

The problem with Halo 5's system is that you can't work towards the specific armor set that you want.
A) It's just armor. Stop pretending it's the gonna be the last word on your tombstone.
B) If you need a sense of "accomplishment" then get a job.
C) People starting threads about what they wear and how they look... did I stumble into a forum for Teen Vogue?
Well aren't you big a sack of wet blankets and hostility. Did I strike a raw nerve or something?
Overall I think the armor system has a lot LESS value. There are endless amounts of copies with small amounts of patterned variation on them. And I think the emblem system suffers from the same problem as well. I think it would have been a lot cooler if you could unlock PIECES of emblems with req packs, but then combine them and color them any way you wanted to. The fact that 343 is following CODs lead now is a little more then discouraging. I'm am really banking a lot of this games value off of The Forge now, and as much hype as they have put out, I really hope the smash it out of the park. I really need some good offline variants to play because I don't like playing online halo all the time.

The challenges to get them, created memories that'll likely be cherished. The memories can be of the amount of attempts and/or the actual process of getting together (likely with friends) to achieve the goal. I too, miss the Halo Reach lobby.
Overall I think the armor system has a lot LESS value. There are endless amounts of copies with small amounts of patterned variation on them. And I think the emblem system suffers from the same problem as well. I think it would have been a lot cooler if you could unlock PIECES of emblems with req packs, but then combine them and color them any way you wanted to. The fact that 343 is following CODs lead now is a little more then discouraging. I'm am really banking a lot of this games value off of The Forge now, and as much hype as they have put out, I really hope the smash it out of the park. I really need some good offline variants to play because I don't like playing online halo all the time.
I really hope Forge is epic. I really hope they add in the Action Sack playlist when Forge is brought out (or at least shortly after). It could make for some seriously not-too-serious fun.
Armor means as much now as it ever has....... Zero
Redstone wrote:
JOLTLORD wrote:
I like this system better, it encourages variety. In halo 3 and even in Reach everyone just went for the same armours.
Do you not find that all of the armor in this game just kind of blends in? None if it has any real significance. You don't often take any notice of it. You just look at a dude armor for a second and think "cool." and nothing else of it.
Yeah, I'm thinking "thats cool" not "oh that same armour everyone and his dog is wearing"
Armor means as much now as it ever has....... Zero
Thats highly subjective. By that logic, nothing ever means anything.
JOLTLORD wrote:
Redstone wrote:
JOLTLORD wrote:
I like this system better, it encourages variety. In halo 3 and even in Reach everyone just went for the same armours.
Do you not find that all of the armor in this game just kind of blends in? None if it has any real significance. You don't often take any notice of it. You just look at a dude armor for a second and think "cool." and nothing else of it.
Yeah, I'm thinking "thats cool" not "oh that same armour everyone and his dog is wearing"
Maybe it was just me, but I always saw a lot of variety in armor in older Halo games. It got to the point where people wore what they liked at the time. They still had fun getting it all though.
I just want one really good helmet that I can unlock. Specifically Noble. I don't want to open 300 req packs to get it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 24