Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Do you feel like Armor holds no value anymore?

OP Redstone

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24
I 100% agree with OP, there is nothing special about armor or any cosmetics other than 343i saying it's special. Pretty much OP's entire post was why I loved Halo 3, on top of how amazing the gameplay was. I still can't believe that 343i gave everyone Recon for free after they took control of the servers. The VIDMASTERs were supposed to be more than just Gamerscore.
Evil Idol wrote:
I 100% agree with OP, there is nothing special about armor or any cosmetics other than 343i saying it's special. Pretty much OP's entire post was why I loved Halo 3, on top of how amazing the gameplay was. I still can't believe that 343i gave everyone Recon for free after they took control of the servers. The VIDMASTERs were supposed to be more than just Gamerscore.
Some of them even gave 0 gamerscore.
cHrIsDAGUY wrote:
I just want one really good helmet that I can unlock. Specifically Noble. I don't want to open 300 req packs to get it.
I've felt that frustration in Battlefield 4. I just wanted one single scope for a certain pistol. It took me getting 181 kills over about 2-3 months of on-off use to finally get it. Absolutely miserable experience. I only wanted it to have for specific situations where I discover a use for it in certain matches.
I definately liked H3's method better. I too remember the amazing feeling i had when i finally got my Hayabusa set and EOD helmet. They obviously did it this way because they needed something to sell as microtransactions. Personally, i would rather have a normal halo game with paid map packs and no microtransactions or silly pack openings, but thats just my two cents.
Kots1337 wrote:
I definately liked H3's method better. I too remember the amazing feeling i had when i finally got my Hayabusa set and EOD helmet. They obviously did it this way because they needed something to sell as microtransactions. Personally, i would rather have a normal halo game with paid map packs and no microtransactions or silly pack openings, but thats just my two cents.
Agreed.
Redstone wrote:
Think back to the days of Halo 3 and Reach. Remember in Halo 3 how you had to do something to unlock armor? I remember seeing the Hayabusa armor in a lobby once and thinking "Holy crap, how do I get that cool armor?". I busted my -Yoink- trying to get all the skulls (Screw you IWBHYD skull) and it was fun as hell to collecting all of them, especially the ones I tried to find before googling for help and finding some plain-text IGN guide on the locations. Once I collected the whole set, I felt like I had accomplished something. I put time into something and I got something cool out of it. I'll never forget the time spent trying to play on Legendary through the whole campaign to get the EOD helmet. I wore that awesome helment for weeks with pride. I remember finally getting to 750 Gamerscore to unlock the Security shoulders. That took a lot of effort for me. Then, the ultimate prize (or so I thought). Getting that last 250 gamerscore. God damn, some of those last few achievements were difficult to get. The par score for Cortana was my last because that level creeped me out when I was younger. I finally got 1000/1000 gamerscore. I got the Katana. I was grinning ear to ear. I had probably only ever seen 25-ish other players with it before. The feeling of accomplishing something that took time and effort was great. I still look back fondly on it. Don't even get me started on how much of a blast it was trying to get all those Vidmaster Achievements for Recon armor. Nothing says fun like 4 hours of laughs, tension and excitement with mates trying to plow through that last mission in Ghosts, or the feeling of sitting on the edge of my seat trying to get that Vidmaster Endure achievement. That took me about 5 attempts because of those random disconnects towards the end of the match.

Halo Reach wasn't quote the same, but there was still a decent feeling of accomplishment. You still had to push yourself to play well enough to level up and unlock those armor pieces. Not quite as varied as Halo 3, but still fun in its own way. I'd still see someone with something like the EVA [C] helmet in a lobby and think "thats cool as hell".

Halo 5 seems to have none of that for me. I saw that unicorn-looking helmet at the end of a match yesterday and just though "thats unusual". I had such a neutral reaction to it. For some reason, that reaction got my mind working. Why wasn't I caring more? Why did it feel so "meh"? I started to think and I realised a few things.

One thing I realised is that this dude/dudette got it from a random Req Pack. They got it completely randomly. He/she did nothing but get lucky. They did nothing specific of significance to get it. They probably bought a Req Pack with points you get for just playing, or with real money, and happened to be favored by the Random Number Generator and got a cool helmet. Thats it. They didn't really accomplish anything extraordinary challenging or difficult to get it. They just got lucky. It doesn't matter if it was their first Req Pack or their 100th Req Pack. They got it randomly without doing anything special.

The other thing I realised is that there was nothing I could do to unlock that helmet. There was no adventure of trying to find out how to get it and then attempting to do what would have needed to be done. All I could do is buy Req Packs and hope to get lucky. Nothing else. Even if I did get it, so what? I just got lucky. I didn't accomplish anything significantly challenging.

Do you feel like this? Do you have any thoughts on it? It feels to me like a part of the Halo experience is missing because of how armor is handled. I know aren't and can't change how it works at this point, and I know they are likely not going to ever go back to a system similar to the old ones for future Halos.

TL;DR: Unlocking in armor in Halo 3/Reach had a sense of accomplishment for me. Unlocking armor in Halo 5 doesn't. It feels to me like it has no value. How do you feel about it.

I'd suggest taking the time to read the whole thing and not just the tldr. It will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about whether you've played past Halo games or not. I've probably also left out a few points I wanted to make. My mind tends to race when I write out long posts.
Reach just felt like grinding to me after a while, but Halo 5 feels like the slot machine; which is not a good thing
I would agree except in the case of Helioskrill. Although it does make me feel more comfortable wearing just whatever, rather than sporting EOD just to prove how beast I am. It's kinda nice, although it would be nice to at least get Centurion for Legendary completion. Or maybe Master Chief's armor for Solo Legendary.
I fully agree. I feel no sense of reward in this game. They gave us nothing for any of the achievements, and made no armor unlockable without REQ points unless you spent real money. I mean even tying some of the armor unlocks to purchase such as buying and watching Nightfall.

The whole system was intentional though. They don't want people to work towards it nearly as much as they want people to spend real money on REQ packs hoping for a legendary.

Microtransactions.
I agree that armor has lost the value to me, but I think they can come up with a solution for that!... I hope...
Redstone wrote:
JOLTLORD wrote:
I like this system better, it encourages variety. In halo 3 and even in Reach everyone just went for the same armours.
Do you not find that all of the armor in this game just kind of blends in? None if it has any real significance. You don't often take any notice of it. You just look at a dude armor for a second and think "cool." and nothing else of it.
This. I personally think that its because the undersuits are colored along with the armor. The actual armor stands out more when the suits are black. They did it right in H2A but flubbed it in H5.
I think that the armor still holds its value simply due to how many different types of armor there are, imo I think everyones armor usually has a unique look, and at the end of the day its not about the armor but about how good the player is. You can have some bada** armor but be a terrible player, and if you're bad.. it doesnt really matter how cool your armor is lol.
I enjoy the random rewards of REQ packs but at the same time, of course working towards a goal of something to unlock has it's perks too.

Just a preference I guess... but I do agree it takes away some of the "magic and wonder" when all you really have to do is get lucky.
IamSaoirse wrote:
I fully agree. I feel no sense of reward in this game. They gave us nothing for any of the achievements, and made no armor unlockable without REQ points unless you spent real money. I mean even tying some of the armor unlocks to purchase such as buying and watching Nightfall.

The whole system was intentional though. They don't want people to work towards it nearly as much as they want people to spend real money on REQ packs hoping for a legendary.

Microtransactions.
Microtransactions like this do nothing good for the player.
Wish all the skins where unlockables with completing stuff
I agree that the randomness of the requisition packs has diminished the WOW factor on new armor, for certain... at the same time, getting something really cool (even if by complete randomness) is still a lot of fun and is still exciting. I think they should patch in some armor that requires unlocking via feats of strength (beat the game on legendary, find all the skulls...) so players who aren't investing too heavily into the requisition system can participate as well.
Armor means no sense of accomplishment but the MCC Armors and the Nightfall Armor, only reward from those is Helioskrill, which people can just get randomly too.

I still find some sense in the old armors being brought back, but they're RNG still...so...
Kots1337 wrote:
Redstone wrote:
JOLTLORD wrote:
I like this system better, it encourages variety. In halo 3 and even in Reach everyone just went for the same armours.
Do you not find that all of the armor in this game just kind of blends in? None if it has any real significance. You don't often take any notice of it. You just look at a dude armor for a second and think "cool." and nothing else of it.
This. I personally think that its because the undersuits are colored along with the armor. The actual armor stands out more when the suits are black. They did it right in H2A but flubbed it in H5.
The black undersuit really highlights the armor pieces, but then again, its only really useful if the armor means something more than getting lucky.
IamSaoirse wrote:

Microtransactions.
Microtransactions are the source of many problems in this game i feel. Generic armor, generic emblems, and the "free maps" which so far means "we'll make some forge maps for you." Im trying not to whine but man they would be set if they just made a better looking H3 :/
JASEFAT wrote:
I agree that the randomness of the requisition packs has diminished the WOW factor on new armor, for certain... at the same time, getting something really cool (even if by complete randomness) is still a lot of fun and is still exciting. I think they should patch in some armor that requires unlocking via feats of strength (beat the game on legendary, find all the skulls...) so players who aren't investing too heavily into the requisition system can participate as well.
I've just not found myself getting excited about unlocking armor. I've even unlocked the helmet I wanted to unlock the most (Seeker helmet, because its fugly). Even that felt like "I got it. Cool, I guess".
I wish I could still wear armor with pride of saying "I did this, I earned it"

Rather then hen I got lucky with a trading card out of a pack
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24