Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Do you really want Halo 5 to top CoD?

OP The Kishinev

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
What is even the point of this question? Its like me asking "wouldn't it be cool if we could jump over the moon"?

Halo will NEVER pass COD. 343 is a good company who makes good decisions. They are trying to make new halo.

I would bet my life that Halo 5 will be on the top 10 xbl charts
Are you going to purchase Halo 5? Just thought I'd ask, as it sounds like you've already made up your mind about it.

I'd go into a long rant regarding the fact that Halo 5 is significantly less like CoD than Halo 4 was, but I'll spare you the walls of text.
I will buy it brand spanking new just because I love Halo but I will definitely not be buying it used so it will go towards 343s sales.

Also, I am glad you saved me that wall of text because its so obvious 343 has been trying to be innovitave and modern their start with halo 4 that it would be completely useless for you to even try to say otherwise. Just a short list of things 343 improved: League System, Sprint that ties to your shield, loadouts that arent in arena, weapon skins that dont mod arena gameplay, ADS that,post beta, is pretty much cosmetic, care packages that arent in halo 5, perks, Larger maps because br and dmr, we need bigger maps, thus sprint, more one shot kill weapons that are snipers or charge weapons, Left trigger aim that is a control scheme thats still being modified, etc.

and that's ignoring their genious, innovitive gameplay which is a classic halo move.
i fixed your mistakes ;)

"Makes horrible decisions" Ok I guess that's why the halo 5 beta did so well abd was praised by just about everyone who had an open mind.
The irony meter is off the charts in this post.
What is even the point of this question? Its like me asking "wouldn't it be cool if we could jump over the moon"?

Halo will NEVER pass COD. 343 is a horrible company who makes horrible decisions. They are trying to copy COD and failing at it.

I would bet my life that Halo 5 will not be more popular than COD
Are you going to purchase Halo 5? Just thought I'd ask, as it sounds like you've already made up your mind about it.

I'd go into a long rant regarding the fact that Halo 5 is significantly less like CoD than Halo 4 was, but I'll spare you the walls of text.
I may buy it used just because I love(d) Halo but I will definitely not be buying it new so it wont go towards 343s sales.

Also, I am glad you saved me that wall of text because its so obvious 343 has been trying to copy COD since their start with halo 4 that it would be completely useless for you to even try to say otherwise. Just a short list of similarities between COD and halo added by 343: League System, Sprint, loadouts, weapon skins, ADS, care packages, perks, killstreaks, Larger maps, more one shot kill weapons, Left trigger aim, etc.

and that's ignoring their obvious dumbing down of gameplay which is a classic COD move
Well you see, now I do have to say something. You played the Halo 5 beta yourself which means you should already be aware of these changes to Halo 5, which confuses me that you seem to be rather uninformed about how Halo has moved away from CoD since H4.

-Custom loadouts have been removed. The only system resembling custom loadouts exists within a specific gametype within the entire game, and has not been forced upon the competitive multiplayer experience.
-perks removed
-killstreaks removed
-Nobody cares about weapon skins they're purely visual and have no negative effect on Halo's core gameplay.
-One shot kill weapons have always been in halo. They're called Power weapons. You find them on the map. They've been around since Combat Evolved.
- Just like in Halo 4, Halo 5 will have smaller sized maps alongside the bigger ones.
- You have always been able to change your control scheme in Halo, and no one is forcing you to use a left trigger aiming control scheme. And CoD is one of many games that use that scheme, which is why they see it fit to provide the option to those trying halo for the first time, whereas long-time fans like you and me can use control schemes that have been around, such as bumper jumper.

I'm not sure how much you've been keeping up with Halo 5 but, if 343 has done anything right this time around, its that they realized that building the entire game around mainstream CoD-like features was a mistake. A mistake they have already set to fixing. The Arena multiplayer is true to Halo's core principles. Same weapon starts, fighting for power positions on the map, and all players have the same set of abilities at their disposal, no surprises in the form of perks or armor abilities. There are of course are still some elements in H5 that show similarity to other shooters, but that is only expected. 343 has to find a place between Old Halo fans, newer Halo fans, and potentially new players coming from other games for the sake of growing and expanding the Halo community. And even then, these features are constrained to specific areas of the game. Sorry, didn't want to put all that in this topic, but what with how you seem to be misinformed about what features are and aren't in Halo 5, I'm afraid I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.
"Makes horrible decisions" Ok I guess that's why the halo 5 beta did so well abd was praised by just about everyone who had an open mind.
I see no irony here.
If Halo were ruined by becoming popular, then yeah that'd be bad. But if it stayed good then I'd be happy. I would love for COD to die or be dethroned. It's not a good game, Halo is.
DAU Terren wrote:
DAU Terren wrote:
DAU Terren wrote:
I'm gonna go ahead and say this sounds like a lot of hipster hogwash. LoL is not "easy", CoD is not "easy". I'd love to see you play against their pros and do well. I almost guarantee you would not get one point in LoL.
COD is fundamentally easy, anyone with decent FPS experience would be able to get a few kills on a pro due to how high the TTK is. All they have to do is sneak up and shoot them.

In a game like halo, the better player will more than likely barely get killed by the lesser player. Most very competitive games work like this. Example, CSGO has a lot of factors to take in, so a lower ranked player would stand no chance against a higher ranked players, only getting to kill them if they get lucky.

COD barely has any factors to take into consideration, so it is pretty easy if you are somewhat familiar with the game.
The 2nd guy nailed what I was saying. No, I couldnt beat the COD pros so I guess one shouldnt say its "easy". I think what most people mean is the skill set needed to be successful in any particular match in COD is far more narrow than in Halo.
Getting 1-2 kills because of a quick TTK does not mean that the game is "easy", it means it is accessible. If you have to play for 10+ hours to even be mediocre at any one game, then the burden of knowledge on the skills to play the game is ridiculous. Knowledge =/= skill. On top of that, it is a GAME, people play them to have fun. Not to get "curb stomped" by "leet" players who think they are pro with a 1.3 KD.

If a player were really "good" then they would never get snuck up on. If the player was "really good" they would be able to control a map enough that short of a coordinated bum rush, the opposing team would not be able to kill you.
Yes, COD is easy compared to multiple other games, the factors the player has to know and control are extremely limited. A good player can still be snuck up on considering the way COD plays, as and example the Pro could enter a room and check the wrong corner first and easily get killed by the lesser player. COD is a very "random game", so a higher tier player getting killed by a lower tier player is not outside the realm of possibility.

If you have to play 10+ hours to be mediocre, it is not ridiculous, the game has a large skill gap. Knowledge is an important part of any game, and can coincide with skill. Say, I know how to molotov an area in correctly CSGO so players are less likely to push, this allows me to strategically set up for some skillful kills. There is a reason the saying "Knowledge is power" exists. Also,game that needs far more than 10 hours to master will also most likely have a lot of skills to master.

Just because it is a game does not mean it has to be non competitive, some players have fun with very competitive games, including myself.
I see no irony here.
In your post, you claimed that the beta recieved praise by people with an open mind. It is obvious that you think that people who were dissatisfied with Halo 5 and are vocal about it are narrow minded. But such a viewpoint is in of itself narrow minded. So yes, it is irony.
I see no irony here.
In your post, you claimed that the beta recieved praise by people with an open mind. It is obvious that you think that people who were dissatisfied with Halo 5 and are vocal about it are narrow minded. But such a viewpoint is in of itself narrow minded. So yes, it is irony.
In his defense, he does say "just about", meaning he acknowledges that people with open minds may dislike the game.
I just want Halo 5 to be a fun game that has a lasting population. I don't really care if Halo 5 performs better than Call of Duty, just that it's a fun game. Halo is unlikely to match CoD due to its mainstream appeal and it being on multiple systems.
In his defense, he does say "just about", meaning he acknowledges that people with open minds may dislike the game.
Fair enough.
50k Players is hardly what I'd consider acceptable in a triple AAA game on a console with millions of players. You think I'm referring to Halo but the truth is that is the situation any game that isn't CoD is facing.

"Every game should be exactly what it wants to be with no compromises." Like it or not, Halo 5 is already full of compromises. Regardless of your perspective. If you loved Halo 4, well then Halo 5 is holding itself back by limiting what makes it into the game. If you're an old school gamer, well then Halo 5 has all this pointless modern -Yoink- to appease to the younger crowd.

Ironically, Call of Duty is a game that didn't make compromises. When CoD4 came out it spat in the face of current shooter trends and did its own thing. Love or hate CoD, I acknowledge that game as the Halo CE of its own generation.

"Unique games that don't hold your hand with instant gratification are games that don't sell as well as the games that try to appeal to as many people as possible (at least in these days)."

A game can be both. A game can be easy to pick up and difficult to master. Arguably the best games are this way.
Quote:
CSGO
Someone should make a console shooter that takes the same strategic metagame and skill of CSGO, but properly tunes the game for consoles (instead of just being a lazy port like the original Quake and Counter-Strike games). Would probably be immensely popular with both casuals and competitive players on the console.
Short answer: Of course I want Halo to top CoD.

Long Answer: Halo should top CoD because Halo is great and CoD is trash. Can anyone disagree?
If Halo becomes more played than Call of Duty because it's incredibly easy, then yes, that's bad.

If it becomes more popular simply because it's a great game, then what's the problem?
Agree completely.
DAU Terren wrote:
DAU Terren wrote:
I'm gonna go ahead and say this sounds like a lot of hipster hogwash. LoL is not "easy", CoD is not "easy". I'd love to see you play against their pros and do well. I almost guarantee you would not get one point in LoL.
DAU Terren wrote:
COD is fundamentally easy, anyone with decent FPS experience would be able to get a few kills on a pro due to how high the TTK is. All they have to do is sneak up and shoot them.

In a game like halo, the better player will more than likely barely get killed by the lesser player. Most very competitive games work like this. Example, CSGO has a lot of factors to take in, so a lower ranked player would stand no chance against a higher ranked players, only getting to kill them if they get lucky.

COD barely has any factors to take into consideration, so it is pretty easy if you are somewhat familiar with the game.
The 2nd guy nailed what I was saying. No, I couldnt beat the COD pros so I guess one shouldnt say its "easy". I think what most people mean is the skill set needed to be successful in any particular match in COD is far more narrow than in Halo.
Getting 1-2 kills because of a quick TTK does not mean that the game is "easy", it means it is accessible. If you have to play for 10+ hours to even be mediocre at any one game, then the burden of knowledge on the skills to play the game is ridiculous. Knowledge =/= skill. On top of that, it is a GAME, people play them to have fun. Not to get "curb stomped" by "leet" players who think they are pro with a 1.3 KD.

If a player were really "good" then they would never get snuck up on. If the player was "really good" they would be able to control a map enough that short of a coordinated bum rush, the opposing team would not be able to kill you.
Alright. From now on my go-to reason for not liking COD is going to be "its too accessible". 10+ hours to even be mediocre (i.e. average) at an FPS (or any pvp game really) is quite low. I had never played an FPS game before Halo. I had never used an xbox controller before playing Halo the first time. Hell I had never used analog sticks before playing Halo (always went Dpad in any game that allowed it and simply didnt play games that didnt, hell I still use dpad in fighters and racing games to this day!). It took me much longer than 10 hours to even be able to shoot and walk. This is all here under the assumption you were contrasting Halos barrier to entry to CODs. If not, nevermind.
halo knocked itself off the throne. if halo turns out to be the cod killer then thats just poetic justice.
considering bo3 is cod once again going the path of aw h5 just might do it.
Why does it even matter?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2