Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] do you think halo can become the top fps again?

OP ThexXx0MARxXx

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 20
And if so, how?
Real talk? No.

The market is saturated right now with FPS games.

RPGs and Action Adventure games are taking a back seat (or being made for Nintendo)

Other than Fallout and Tomb Raider name another game that is popular and not a shooter.

Halo probably wont reach the level of popularity it had ten years ago but as long as the fan base is strong and supportive it will continue on.
Can it be top dog? No, but can it still be popular for what it is? Yes.
it wont be as popular as it once was no matter what
The market was most saturated with high profile games with Halo 3. The market argument is such a copout. Of course Halo can be popular - all you have to do is make an actual successor to Halo 3, a popular Halo, which was a successor of Halo 2, a popular Halo, which was a successor of Halo CE, a popular Halo.

The correlation of content and design change with popularity starting with Reach is too strong to ignore. In every Halo that appealed to a social crowd and competitive crowd, that was filled with content, that had largely all of the standards from the previous Halos maintained and improved upon, the game was at the top of the charts and stayed there. In every Halo that didn't, the exact opposite was true.
Real talk? No.

RPGs and Action Adventure games are taking a back seat (or being made for Nintendo)

Other than Fallout and Tomb Raider name another game that is popular and not a shooter.

Halo probably wont reach the level of popularity it had ten years ago but as long as the fan base is strong and supportive it will continue on.
Unfortunately, fifa.
Gravemint wrote:
The market was most saturated with high profile games with Halo 3. The market argument is such a copout. Of course Halo can be popular - all you have to do is make an actual successor to Halo 3, a popular Halo, which was a successor of Halo 2, a popular Halo, which was a successor of Halo CE, a popular Halo.

The correlation of content and design change with popularity starting with Reach is too strong to ignore. In every Halo that appealed to a social crowd and competitive crowd, that was filled with content, that had largely all of the standards from the previous Halos maintained and improved upon, the game was at the top of the charts and stayed there.
Could not have said it any better.
Unfortunately not. To be honest Halo was never topping COD on the charts even in its prime. In 2007 the first Modern Warfare COMPLETELY set the standard for MLG. Everything you know about competitive FPS on consoles, was born from that title. BUT Halo 3 had a close runner up with custom gametypes, maps, theater and forge. Then there was a massive gap in Halo titles while COD continued to copy/paste into MW2 and MW3. Then Reach comes out as Halo's "Goodbye" and adds sprint and other gamebreaking abilities like armor lock, jetpack and evade. Reach(while an amazing game) weakened Halo as a serious shooter but Halo 4 aimed to fix that and failed miserably with the addition of "seasons". Halo 5 is basically the nail in the coffin compared to CSGO and Black Ops 3, which are dominating esports right now. Halo 6 is pretty much the last chance to get things right before the franchise loses its fanbase. And it pains me so much to say it, considering how close Halo 3 came to dethroning COD on consoles. Now Halo 5 cant even stay in the top 10 list on its own console..........
Gravemint wrote:

The correlation of content and design change with popularity starting with Reach is too strong to ignore. In every Halo that appealed to a social crowd and competitive crowd, that was filled with content, that had largely all of the standards from the previous Halos maintained and improved upon, the game was at the top of the charts and stayed there.
this. Bungie started it. 343 didn't have the balls to turn back...although halo 5 multiplayer is sick...awesome....barebones(unexpectedly)
haloboi wrote:
Unfortunately not. To be honest Halo was never topping COD on the charts even in its prime. In 2007 the first Modern Warfare COMPLETELY set the standard for MLG. Everything you know about competitive FPS on consoles, was born from that title. BUT Halo 3 had a close runner up with custom gametypes, maps, theater and forge. Then there was a massive gap in Halo titles while COD continued to copy/paste into MW2 and MW3. Then Reach comes out as Halo's "Goodbye" and adds sprint and other gamebreaking abilities like armor lock, jetpack and evade. Reach(while an amazing game) weakened Halo as a serious shooter but Halo 4 aimed to fix that and failed miserably with the addition of "seasons". Halo 5 is basically the nail in the coffin compared to CSGO and Black Ops 3, which are dominating esports right now. Halo 6 is pretty much the last chance to get things right before the franchise loses its fanbase. And it pains me so much to say it, considering how close Halo 3 came to dethroning COD on consoles. Now Halo 5 cant even stay in the top 10 list on its own console..........
Halo 3 would have been the top by a mile were it multiplat
Real talk? No.

Fallout 4 has a lot of shooter qualities to it right now compared to previous games. So there's that too.

But on topic...

No. Halo will never achieve the same levels of popularity that it once had. But if the games continue to be at least as good as we've had I suspect it will go one just fine with its own following.
Halo will always be the only game I play. I only got the XOne because of the MCC... I wanted to beat all games again. Then when H5 came out, I only got that H5 Console because, well... It looks pretty shweet.

I don't think Halo will ever be as popular as it was years ago. But it will always be a staple with true fans.
haloboi wrote:
What? H:CE and H2 created what MLG is now today. Those games set the standard, CoD took it over due to the terrible games that came after Halo 3.
And if so, how?
Very unlikely. TMCC really just crushed any hope of Halo becoming #1 again. If TMCC had been successful, many fans would have returned to the series. But that game truly was the nail in the Halo coffin.
I just don't ever see halo being #1 ever again with all the FPS games that are out there. And especially after what happened with TMCC.
Gravemint wrote:

this. Bungie started it. 343 didn't have the balls to turn back...although halo 5 multiplayer is sick...awesome....barebones(unexpectedly)
They have turned back if you ask the right people. I can compare h5s multiplayer to h3 if I exclude thrusters, ground pound, shoulder charge, ect. What h5 lacks is variety and a good campaign.

Also if you were 343 what do you do? Try to open up to as much audience as possible for most money possible? Or stick it out with your core fan base who is ultimately smaller than the open market? This is what seperates game devs from others. Some take the money while their game either becomes mediocre or loses popularity while other stick it out and keep their core fan base happy. 343 is in the wrong on many lvls if you ask me but I can see them trying to find a medium.
we can always dream about what it was back then all the fun game types all the fun modes you could play as a friend and as a community thats why halo wont reach the top spot the community had lost hope in halo and will never go back the population is went downhill since reach (taken to fact reach was sick loved everything about it)
Absolutely. 343i got close with Halo 5. The core of the game is fantastic (in game mechanics, functionality of your Spartan). However, they fell short with the campaign and lack of game modes for multiplayer at launch.

If 343i can create an experience similar to that of Halo 4's campaign, and a multiplayer like 5 but with all the necessary game modes at launch for 6, Halo will be the top FPS once again.
Gravemint wrote:

The correlation of content and design change with popularity starting with Reach is too strong to ignore. In every Halo that appealed to a social crowd and competitive crowd, that was filled with content, that had largely all of the standards from the previous Halos maintained and improved upon, the game was at the top of the charts and stayed there. In every Halo that didn't, the exact opposite was true.
Totally disagree with the market was the same part. We're there a lot of fps titles? Yeah sure, but remember that the constant annual releases of cod wasn't a thing yet, battlefield hadn't broken in yet, battlefront wasnt a thing. So I guess my main point is there was a lot of fps titles but around that time people were not really sick of them due to cod just breaking in around that time and lets be honest around that time, nothing could compete with halo other than cod.

The thing I WILL agree with you on is the lack of content. It's kinda inexcusable to have this lack of variety in the playlists, especially in a game that appeals greatly on the social crown. Unfortuabtley its all the more clear 343's vision for the game was to make it more esports than anything
It can, maybe in the next Halo
Gravemint wrote:

I don't think a straight up arena style shooter will sway anyone from leaving CoD, or any other game that they are playing. H3 was 9 years ago. Great for it's time. It was stepping stone for so many other franchises, but I think a bare bones arena shooter just won't appeal to the console market.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 20