Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] do you think halo can become the top fps again?

OP ThexXx0MARxXx

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 20
Nope

They could make the best Halo ever and CSGO/CoD/Destiny will still be the top three...

The fact that Halo is an exclusive also means it gets less hype built around it compared to 3rd party games

Non exclusive games will always beat Halo even on the Xbox platform simply because all these other shooters on other consoles talking about them while Halo is on one console and has one fanbase talking about it

Its all word of mouth that makes a game popular being on one console limits that...

God damn I can't find the right way to say wtf I mean >_<

The fact if Halo 5 is good or not has absolutely no impact on its population just look at CoD or Destiny

Destiny is very repetitive little story has a massive player base...

CoD is almost the same thing every year massive player base...

Why are these popular then? I doubt its because they're amazing games its because they're 3rd party and have casuals locked down with their consistency spreading the word of these games across 5 platforms
Halo FTW it will never die
Not if 343 stays in charge.
They are incapable of being creative and separating Halo from the competition.

I think the reason many people don't play Halo (aside from 343's terrible gameplay) is because it's kinda cartoonish and kiddy. If they made a classic Halo styled game, but more mature and dark, it'd become top dog again (yes, I'm aware this would do the opposite of separating Halo... but this is the one exception I think has to be made).
You can keep all the alien maps, and crazy space stuff... but give it a more realistic look. Make it rugged, dark, and worn. Add some more realistic violence and adult language. Everything is overly bright in Halo, especially new Halo, and definitely over saturated.
I realize now after playing Siege, that it's just more satisfying playing something that looks real and gritty. I shoot people, blood splatters, and there aren't all these stupid effects everywhere.
The H5 HUD is overkill with graphical effects, and the sound effects sound like I'm playing with dog chew toys. Just awful.

Just my opinion.
With addition to more maps and more of a competitive scene, possibly. It doesn't have much of a following since H2/3 so they would start having to cater to more competition.
BBT2014 wrote:
Nope

They could make the best Halo ever and CSGO/CoD/Destiny will still be the top three...

The fact that Halo is an exclusive also means it gets less hype built around it compared to 3rd party games
That is the most accurate statement for sure. Halo is on 1 console. The other top games are on all consoles and on the PC. So there is absolutely no way Halo will ever climb to the #1 spot ever again. Not that it matters, as long as I am enjoying the game, that is all that counts to me. Halo 5 over has been pretty fun. I stick mainly to Warzone and BTB.
Erik L wrote:

I think the reason many people don't play Halo (aside from 343's terrible gameplay) is because it's kinda cartoonish and kiddy. If they made a classic Halo styled game, but more mature and dark, it'd become top dog again (yes, I'm aware this would do the opposite of separating Halo... but this is the one exception I think has to be made).
You can keep all the alien maps, and crazy space stuff... but give it a more realistic look. Make it rugged, dark, and worn. Add some more realistic violence and adult language. Everything is overly bright in Halo, especially new Halo, and definitely over saturated.
I realize now after playing Siege, that it's just more satisfying playing something that looks real and gritty. I shoot people, blood splatters, and there aren't all these stupid effects everywhere.
The H5 HUD is overkill with graphical effects, and the sound effects sound like I'm playing with dog chew toys. Just awful.

Just my opinion.
All the things you've stated have literally been in past Halo titles...I would make the argument the past Halo titles were even more so..
How are we defining "top fps?" Because Halo 5 IS the top fps. A lot of people just don't know it. ;)
IMHO, Maybe. Now my argument.

I think that it should still be considered one of the best fps on the market due to 3 things.
1.) Campaign that actually has a good story, unlike CoD which is just repetitive on ever mission.
2.) Bad*** Forge mode. Take that CoD.
3.) Friendly Community of like-minded gamer's, unlike CoD...again, with all the 4 year-old's trying so hard to be cool and trash talk. Sure their is trash talk on Halo, but it is not as bad as CoD.
I coulda swore Halo had always been the top shooter. Hell, I see Halo related merchandise and advertising EVERYWHERE. Not to mention, Halo is Xbox's most popular exclusive.
How are we defining "top fps?" Because Halo 5 IS the top fps. A lot of people just don't know it. ;)
That's what I'm sayin'!
easily. My friend start liking the halo AGAIN. Since halo 5 release. HALO will rise.
No, I don't think so, but then it doesn't have to. The brand/product is varied and strong, has an excellent and loyal fan base, and constant evolution will keep Halo in the firmly popular bracket.

You don't have to be the best or tops at anything to succeed, simply consistently provide good quality, work on innovation of new technologies and gameplay experience. You never know though, one bright idea is all it takes to be the next big leap forward in popular gaming, so never say never. :)
Truthfully no offense to the company and the team. But straight up no. To many people are against them to care, even my buddies from old halo I try to bring back to play with always say nope we will stay with destiny at bungie or some other game. Everyone knows bungie sold for a reason and they did the right thing, cashed out before these ideas happened and made destiny which in my opinion not my halo but it does play way smoother and the options are way better so to be honest...

Unless this company starts making changes instead of making trailers for the changes for 3 months... It will most likely be a slow fall of halo. Game after game just keeps going down to now half the spartan companies members half of them are not active because COD came out since along with the new Destiny, fallout, splinter cell, not to mention the new battlefield and another COD for the new year. It most likely will keep dropping its already very low on twitch stream not sure how much more it can decline because it went from #4 day 1. I can't even find it on the featured list anymore so that just shows not only do less play it, but also less watch it or get excited to watch it.

My biggest issue is no communication everyone is miss out, most players are new or never played before so your teammates are very very poor which sucks for the ones that play good because I can go +10 every game and still lose every game. But a guy who has never touched arena and could never even get a kill against me 1v1 can get to level 125 easier that anyone with war zone so the game is basically now COD leveling system which has become a joke. The rank system is wrong all platinum's and we played all onyx.
Yes it can but not with 343 in charge and how they are handling the series they have completely taken out the uniqueness and major missteps with halo 4 MCC and now halo 5 its leaving a bad taste with people so obviously they will leave they just dont get what made halo good back in those days and they always want to put their spin on everything when what was there was already good
It wouldn't be the top FPS..
But it could be one of the more-popular games.

I don't really know if this is true, but 343 has a bad reputation from releasing TMCC.

Halo will NEVER die. It shall live long.
Gravemint wrote:
The market was most saturated with high profile games with Halo 3. The market argument is such a copout. Of course Halo can be popular - all you have to do is make an actual successor to Halo 3, a popular Halo, which was a successor of Halo 2, a popular Halo, which was a successor of Halo CE, a popular Halo.

The correlation of content and design change with popularity starting with Reach is too strong to ignore. In every Halo that appealed to a social crowd and competitive crowd, that was filled with content, that had largely all of the standards from the previous Halos maintained and improved upon, the game was at the top of the charts and stayed there. In every Halo that didn't, the exact opposite was true.
I don't think a straight up arena style shooter will sway anyone from leaving CoD, or any other game that they are playing. H3 was 9 years ago. Great for it's time. It was stepping stone for so many other franchises, but I think a bare bones arena shooter just won't appeal to the console market.
I'm not advocating for a bare bones game, but rather a finished one - one that has all of the baseline content, features, functionality and more. It's 2016 and we're approaching getting somewhere close to even being somewhat near having the baseline standards of Halo 3. This should be the exact opposite. People should not go to prior Halo games and say, "Wow, you can do that?!" "Wow, this game has that?!"

That didn't happen to Halo 2 when Halo 3 came out. Granted, people understandably hated some design choices like no hitscan, but no one was complaining about losing anything tangibly understood. It did happen with Halo 4 and Halo 5, the fastest dropping Halo games in terms of population and the only Halos that the devs actively try to hide the population count of.
Erik L wrote:

Just my opinion.
All the things you've stated have literally been in past Halo titles...I would make the argument the past Halo titles were even more so..
Well, 1) I love the old Halos, as everybody knows, and 2) I do not consider those mature and dark/realistic. They are also cartoonish, just less-so than H5. That's the one thing I think should've been changed to "evolve" the game.
As long as call of duty keeps existing, no it wont.
Yes.
It may not become as popular as it was back in the days of Hako 3 and before, but it will definetely continue to be a top tier shooter so long as 343 makes some good decisions. Halo 6 in my opinion will be a huge success, as 343 will have learned from their mistakes. MCC was better than 4, and 5 is better than MCC. They are making progress.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 20