Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] do you think halo can become the top fps again?

OP ThexXx0MARxXx

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 20
I'm unsure. A lot of people vocally support/hate the new formula.

It's hard to tell what people want when you have other factors like a lack of content also contributing to the game's decline. As Zomechin said, content should increase as the years go by, not do the opposite.
It depends on how the the gaming community remembers this game. If they remember a barebones experience, no. If enough people stick through and it becomes the game it could/should be, then maybe. You never know. It's certainly plausible imo.
Oh yes. If 343 quits following trends from other FPS's and starts setting new ones, like Halo used to. Removing gimmicks such as sprint and spartan charge would be a great start.
Gravemint wrote:
Gravemint wrote:
The market was most saturated with high profile games with Halo 3. The market argument is such a copout. Of course Halo can be popular - all you have to do is make an actual successor to Halo 3, a popular Halo, which was a successor of Halo 2, a popular Halo, which was a successor of Halo CE, a popular Halo.

The correlation of content and design change with popularity starting with Reach is too strong to ignore. In every Halo that appealed to a social crowd and competitive crowd, that was filled with content, that had largely all of the standards from the previous Halos maintained and improved upon, the game was at the top of the charts and stayed there. In every Halo that didn't, the exact opposite was true.
I don't think a straight up arena style shooter will sway anyone from leaving CoD, or any other game that they are playing. H3 was 9 years ago. Great for it's time. It was stepping stone for so many other franchises, but I think a bare bones arena shooter just won't appeal to the console market.
I'm not advocating for a bare bones game, but rather a finished one - one that has all of the baseline content, features, functionality and more. It's 2016 and we're approaching getting somewhere close to even being somewhat near having the baseline standards of Halo 3. This should be the exact opposite. People should not go to prior Halo games and say, "Wow, you can do that?!" "Wow, this game has that?!"

That didn't happen to Halo 2 when Halo 3 came out. Granted, people understandably hated some design choices like no hitscan, but no one was complaining about losing anything tangibly understood. It did happen with Halo 4 and Halo 5, the fastest dropping Halo games in terms of population and the only Halos that the devs actively try to hide the population count of.
Out of curiosity, what would that game look like? I'm not being condescending, but it sounds a lot like a re-skinned H3. What is the "and more" part? I think that's the root problem. I completely agree on the content. Should've been there day, or released shortly thereafter. This trend sort of started with Reach.

And not to be a pain, but there was a lot of hate on the forums between game releases. The release of H2 saw it, as well as H3. One of our moderators has a good metric and analysis of the pop decline since H2. (yes, it started at H2). I'll try to dig it up for you. (but lets not get off topic in this thread).

Personally think the days of Arena FPS is coming to a close. Look at what games are the tops in terms of sales/population. All of those games really have some very similar elements and mechanics. This is not a trend. It just a fact. No, Halo doesn't have to follow suit, but not doing something to secure relevancy is a sure way to obsolete itself.
I do think it can because:
possible yes likely no first it would have to expand to more consoles to even have a chance and to continue the appeal for games like CoD is that CoD tries its very best to decrease skill to the point it is in now were it is nearly impossible to predict another path and who ever sees who first wins 99% percent of the time
1. It has free updates with free maps and stuff
2. It has a long lasting story line
and......
3. It is improving its game mechanics every time a ne one comes out
I don't think this is a Halo - problem, thing is a lot of people that are "Casual Players" think about what Shooter they're going to buy, all they know and hear about is Call of duty and Call of duty and Call of duty and Call of duty etc, They look at a game like Halo and think wow this is completely different from what I'm used to and automatically ignore it.
Also Remember that most people in the world are quite stupid, That's why Artist like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus have so many fans either because of stupid people or little kids.
It's been weeks since I've visit the Halo forums, and during that time I have been playing Destiny. I noticed that every week there would be weekly events such as: Story, strike, and raid (I'm excluding PvP, because Halo 5 already has that). So I thought "what if Halo 5 had that". This is what I came up with.

Weekly/monthly story missions: Every week, or month there would be a miniature campaign (the size of ODST) you play as your spartan, and you are given an objective to complete by none other than Palmer. These campaigns will be diverse, fun, and would give lore. Rewards vary, Easy:100 reqs, Normal:1000 reqs, Heroic: exclusive gear (random), Legendary: Full exclusive armor, and a gold tier req pack.

Firefight: This is basically like normal firefight. Choose a game mode, map, and survive. Except now you can play as Osiris, Blue, mix the two teams, or play as yourself with either team, and there is the option to raid a Promethean, Covenant, or insurrection strongholds with bosses being Scarabs, to guardians, etc.

Planet struggle: This is an open world experience. Every month a new planet is chosen to defend.Players must defend the planet, and search for enemies to kill. The top 100 players will be sent to a ship, and must destroy it. The player that destroys the ship, and the top 20 players will be given exclusive rewards that show just how Badass they are.

I know that this most likely won't happen, and yes I'm recycling a post that I made earlier, but this is what would bring Halo up there.
You have to admit though bornfromfire9 it does do really well in sales when you take in the fact that it only sells for one console
I don't think if you made miniature campaigns for Halo it would not turn out well, that was one of the main problems with Destiny you never knew what the main story was, there was way too many different campaigns, and I just think that alone would not be good for the Halo Franchise personally.
Question is not whether it can be number one but whether it can remain popular as game unique to itself. that means not copying other games for ideas, just pulling straight out of the halo universe.
No. Simply because Halo is harder than most shooters. The Casual players (which are most of them) prefer easy to hard. They like easy kills, they like not having to learn the game. Its the same as mobile phones. Iphones are popular for the simple reason anybody and their grandmother can pick one up and being using it in 30 minutes or less. The same holds true for COD. The opposite is true for Halo. because of Halos Shields and 4 to 5 shot kills with base weapons that takes practice. Thats not something you can jump in and be good at within 30 minutes to an hour. Will Halo continue to be successful? ABSOLUTELY.
No.
Games are being dumbed down and FPS are pretty simple to pick up.
I don't think this is a Halo - problem, thing is a lot of people that are "Casual Players" think about what Shooter they're going to buy, all they know and hear about is Call of duty and Call of duty and Call of duty and Call of duty etc, They look at a game like Halo and think wow this is completely different from what I'm used to and automatically ignore it.
Also Remember that most people in the world are quite stupid, That's why Artist like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus have so many fans either because of stupid people or little kids.
Pretty much.
Look at Spartan Ops for an example the cut scenes were okay but the story wasn't totally amazing, I think that 343 Industries should really stick to making one main excellent quality campaign instead of a whole bunch of little ones
Pretty much.
Agree 100%.

Halo probably wont reach the level of popularity it had ten years ago but as long as the fan base is strong and supportive it will continue on.
That is the real point!

And the real answer is 343 has shunned the core fanbase in favor of the minority competitive crowd.Halo is dead. Thanks 343.
haloboi wrote:
Unfortunately not. To be honest Halo was never topping COD on the charts even in its prime. In 2007 the first Modern Warfare COMPLETELY set the standard for MLG. Everything you know about competitive FPS on consoles, was born from that title. BUT Halo 3 had a close runner up with custom gametypes, maps, theater and forge. Then there was a massive gap in Halo titles while COD continued to copy/paste into MW2 and MW3. Then Reach comes out as Halo's "Goodbye" and adds sprint and other gamebreaking abilities like armor lock, jetpack and evade. Reach(while an amazing game) weakened Halo as a serious shooter but Halo 4 aimed to fix that and failed miserably with the addition of "seasons". Halo 5 is basically the nail in the coffin compared to CSGO and Black Ops 3, which are dominating esports right now. Halo 6 is pretty much the last chance to get things right before the franchise loses its fanbase. And it pains me so much to say it, considering how close Halo 3 came to dethroning COD on consoles. Now Halo 5 cant even stay in the top 10 list on its own console..........
Lmao you have to be joking.
Halo set the standard for MLG and MLG would probably not be around without Halo 2.

Halo 2 was the first online console shooter that was in MLG and was played online by millions which was before xbox 360/ps3 was even out, you are completely and utterly wrong.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 20