Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] do you think halo can become the top fps again?

OP ThexXx0MARxXx

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 20
There's a lot of eggs around to hatch , perhaps with the saturation of the market and the variety people don't have to choose one game type and have the freedom choice to select to play several shooters at once. Or simply get bored and move to the next .
Halo would need to attract all the really casual and just normal casual gamers to do that. Halo is a harder shooter to play than most. Even Halo 5 is the same. Yes, you can move about quicker and do so in different ways now but when it comes to killing another spartan, you can't just point and shoot like most other shooters. Unfortunately most of these casual gamers i mentioned are having fun playing CoD and Fifa, and tbh when you look at these kinds of gamers profiles they don't play much else than CoD and sports games. Halo is just simply to hard for a lot of modern gamers. They don't like a challenge, they also don't like to play anything different which is a shame really :(
I mean, does it necessarily NEED to be the top FPS again? The people who like it are going to keep playing it, and the people who are curious are going to keep trying it. The people who hate it are going to continue to hate it. I'm not sure there's a formula to making a game that makes it "the top". I personally think 343 is going to continue to make the Halo they want to make and if it gets top marks, then cool but, I just can't see "being the best" as a realistic goal.

And besides, fundamentally speaking, Halo hasn't really over the years. I mean REALLY changed. It's easy to say that it has because of things like, Spartan Abilities, new weapons, character motivations, etc but lets be real for a second. You can plop in Halo:CE and play that and skip right to Halo 5 and you'll be fine. And if you really tried, you might find that both games are actually still really fun. Which is an infinitely more attainable goal than "being the best".

It's just my two cents but I feel like there is more implied drama in this thread than is needed.
Halo 4, MCC and 5 have been failure after failure after failure.

If it came to PC, it might have a chance at appealling to those guys who are into CSGO and R6Seige. The console shooter market just has many better options for people right now.
Same here I exclusively play halo. Its the only reason I still game and will always be my favorite franchise of all time. Well that and the quake series. I genuinely enjoyed every single halo to date and halo 5 gameplay is amazing.
yes if 343 trys .
I think sometimes people forget that part of the reason Halo took off the way it did originally was because they jumped on new gaming innovations immediately. I can't remember a single FPS game worth playing that was set up to handle system link play the way Halo did on the original XBox until well after Halo came out. I don't remember Halo 2 having much competition at first in online matchmaking either. While Halo 3 didn't have a whole new infrastructure to use to put games together, they did add a much more social experience to the game than most other games had at the time with service records, file shares, etc.

Most of the features people think would put it back on top are just more rehash of the same old features. Lots of games have a bigger variety of game types, bigger weapon sandboxes, nicer maps, different personal investment systems, integrated social features, and so on, and none of that really makes a game stand out any more. What they need is the next new big thing that will inevitably become the standard for future games the same way some of the old Halos' features did. Even then, inevitably, everyone will be doing that thing too, and it won't stand out that Halo does it any more, and the cycle will start anew.
SilentA98 wrote:
And if so, how?
Do I think it can? Absolutely.

Do I think it will? Not unless 343i change how they choose to design the game.

For starters, what can we say about the first three Halo games? Each one continously improved on the last. Each one added to the player experience, giving them more reason to come back, to explore, and gave the player greater agency over the game. Halo 2 added deeper custom options and more gamemodes, it added skulls to campaign and contextualized the story. Halo 3 brought in forge, theatre, even deeper customs, character customization (beyond what Halo 2 offered), Campaign scoring, terminals etc.

That's part of why I think Halo 3 is considered the epitome of the Halo experience, it added so much to Halo as a whole. We can criticize the campaign or individual aspects of the multiplayer all we want, but overall it was a solid title that improved the Halo experience.

And this has been my fundamental problem with 343i, and what I consider to be the current problem with Halo. Ignoring my own opinions on questionable multiplayer, architectural and stylistic changes, 343i haven't done anything that's significantly improved what Halo 3 did. In Halo 4 they attempted to take their own spin on things, but in the process they butchered customs, forge and theatre, they removed campaign skulls and in-game terminals, among a slew of other problems too numerous to name individually. The recompense, the addition was Spartan Ops. And while Spartan Ops was a great idea it failed to capture any sort of magic, falling flat as more of a repetitive button-pressing simulator than an evolving episodic side story.

Skipping the mess that was Halo MCC because 343i stated they had very little to do with the project, lets move on to Halo 5. Halo 5 takes everything the first three Halo games had set forward about improving the gameplay experience and giving the players agency, and chucks it out the -Yoinking!- window. We regressed across the board. No splitscreen, no offline multiplayer to be found what-so-ever, no Forge on release, no functioning fileshare, a pitiful amount of gamemodes, poor player customization that I can only assume was done to sell REQ packs and again, among a slew of other problems. The guise this falls under is of course "free DLC" and the promise that 343i will add everything back eventually, but they're by no means obligated to add everything that people have come to expect from the series, and instead of using this post-release time to work on the next game or add new content to the series, they're using it to finish up a game that can only be described as an Early Access title.

The only new feature Halo 5 brought to replace everything it removed was Warzone. Warzone was a great idea, and I think it could (and should) have been a stand-alone Halo title. But by tacking it onto Halo 5, not only does it not get all the attention it deserves, but it has to restrict itself to "traditional" Halo design philosphies, even with all the additional mechanics at play. And at the end of the day, warzone as it stands is no more than glorified BTB, it can't replace everything else 343i have removed.

I could rant on and on about how and why I think this is awful decisions making, but to draw the line: Halo built itself upon continuously giving the players agency and improving the experience. I believe Halo's current problems lie in the fact that 343i insist on delivering their experience, and not necessarily a Halo or Quality Player experience. All my objections in relation to gameplay changes stem from this fact, all the problems in relation to the lack of Social playlists. Other problems such as the lack of armor customization appear to be driven by money, they restrict and remove armor to sell REQ's later instead of giving players the option to choose their own and unlock it in a logical way. The lack of an armor based progression system that gave the player something to actively work towards, among other things.

So what do I think Halo needs to be on top? I think it needs to focus on providing a top notch player experience. 343i need to take along, hard look at how they choose to design, whether it be the introduction of new mechanics that negatively impact the depth of the game for the sake of market accessibility or the conscious decision to remove social playlists because "it makes players play properly", and ask themselves if they are providing the best possible Halo experience they can. They need to look just what made Halo 3 so popular beyond it's gameplay, figure out how Bungie managed to cultivate such a fervent and dedicated community. They need to look at other successful titles, such as Counter-Strike Global Offensive, and ask themselves just what makes those games so successful with the competitive, casual, and creative communities alike.

There are reasons those things are as popular as they are, and there are reasons Halo fails to capture the attention that it used to. It's not as simple as gameplay or aesthetic, even if those do play a huge part.

If 343i are willing to ask these questions, to learn, understand, and perhaps apply different strategies or philosophies than those they currently use, I think Halo has potential to be a top game again. As it stands right now however, I expect Halo to fall slowly into obscurity. Not immediately, the quality of the games and legacy they are built on will keep people around for a while, but it'll fade to a point where people are tired of hearing its name, where it's used in a similar sense to Assassins creed to describe a series that has gone on too long, without fully understanding or realizing just where the heart of the issue lies.

Doesn't matter how many fancy skins or million dollar tournaments they throw out, there's something deeper in the game that's missing, and without that I don't really see a hope of greater success.

Honestly, I could go on for another hour or so, talking about designing for longevity, accessibility in game design, teaching players rather than designing for them, but those are different topics for a different time. Point is, I think Halo's problems extend far beyond its gameplay and have more to do with 343i and the premise on which they build the game than anything else.

But hey, maybe I'm just "a change hating purist" right? That's what Waypoint always likes to throw around when I post here. Who needs legitimate criticism anyway.

... Well, back to lurking.
LMAO.

I had to quote EVERYTHING you said simply because you put EVERYTHING down in words that is wrong with this game and 343's implementation of the Halo universe, or more accurately....343's deconstruction of the familiar Halo universe.
,I guess I'll never again experience the anticipation of the next Halo game thanks to 343. Their take on Halo is...well, just not Halo. But I think we all know why. Halo was Bungie and 343 is doing everything they can to wipe Bungie's touch on Halo.
Thanks for taking the time to put all that down! Much appreciated!
I think if handled right Halo could go back to being the top competitive console shooter, but I doubt it will ever overcome Call of Duty for the casual market or Counter Strike for the competitive market. And of course by handled right, I mean get rid of the garbage that has been added to the series in the last few games, and go back to its basic core Halo formula that was so successful.
Yes if somehow it becomes a game like no other FPS game
And if so, how?
Yes I believe it can but not if it continues the trend of Halo 4 and 5. Ontop of that 343i would need a massive overhaul of management, art teams, composers, programmers, writers and community managers in order to get Halo back to the top of the games list.
Yes, but they need to get split screen multiplayer back for halo 5!!!
Gravemint wrote:
The market was most saturated with high profile games with Halo 3. The market argument is such a copout. Of course Halo can be popular - all you have to do is make an actual successor to Halo 3, a popular Halo, which was a successor of Halo 2, a popular Halo, which was a successor of Halo CE, a popular Halo.

The correlation of content and design change with popularity starting with Reach is too strong to ignore. In every Halo that appealed to a social crowd and competitive crowd, that was filled with content, that had largely all of the standards from the previous Halos maintained and improved upon, the game was at the top of the charts and stayed there. In every Halo that didn't, the exact opposite was true.
+1
If halo 6 is a full game on release, then it could be top dog cor console. There will always be better shooters on PC, but why would I play games on the same screen I work on?
Between the saturation of the market and the slowly dropping playerbase numbers it's probably on its way downhill. The folks at 343 have release 2 of their own original games now and neither have stood up to the test like Bungie's trilogy.

Popular? Maybe, depends how well they listen to the fans. Top? Not a chance.
IMHO, Maybe. Now my argument.

I think that it should still be considered one of the best fps on the market due to 3 things.
1.) Campaign that actually has a good story, unlike CoD which is just repetitive on ever mission.
2.) Bad*** Forge mode. Take that CoD.
3.) Friendly Community of like-minded gamer's, unlike CoD...again, with all the 4 year-old's trying so hard to be cool and trash talk. Sure their is trash talk on Halo, but it is not as bad as CoD.
^This.
Jazz246 wrote:
You have to admit though bornfromfire9 it does do really well in sales when you take in the fact that it only sells for one console
yeah if the expand to pc which they are already doing and other consoles it may get a boost in sales
Gravemint wrote:
The market was most saturated with high profile games with Halo 3. The market argument is such a copout. Of course Halo can be popular - all you have to do is make an actual successor to Halo 3, a popular Halo, which was a successor of Halo 2, a popular Halo, which was a successor of Halo CE, a popular Halo.

The correlation of content and design change with popularity starting with Reach is too strong to ignore. In every Halo that appealed to a social crowd and competitive crowd, that was filled with content, that had largely all of the standards from the previous Halos maintained and improved upon, the game was at the top of the charts and stayed there. In every Halo that didn't, the exact opposite was true.
thousand of players outside USA would play it, if it has solid and stable servers for matchmaking..(and that's not the case)
si halo de 5 vuelve a tener lo jugadores de halo 2 y 3 esta por hecho que 343 lo esta haciendo muy bien y si creo que vuelva a hacer un un fps de nuevo
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 20