Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] do you think halo can become the top fps again?

OP ThexXx0MARxXx

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 20
Halo always has been, and always will be, the Top FPS in my eyes. I couldn't care less about what other games are out there right now.
SilentA98 wrote:
And if so, how?
Do I think it can? Absolutely.

Do I think it will? No, not unless 343i seriously reconsider how they choose to design the game.

For starters, what can we say about the first three Halo games? Each one continously improved on the last. Each one added to the player experience, giving them more reason to come back, to explore, and gave the player greater agency over the game. Halo 2 added deeper custom options and more gamemodes, it added skulls to campaign and contextualized the story. Halo 3 brought in forge, theatre, even deeper customs, character customization (beyond what Halo 2 offered), Campaign scoring, terminals etc.

That's part of why I think Halo 3 is considered the epitome of the Halo experience, it added so much to Halo as a whole. We can criticize the campaign or individual aspects of the multiplayer all we want, but overall it was a solid title that improved the Halo experience.

And this has been my fundamental problem with 343i, and what I consider to be the current problem with Halo. Ignoring my own opinions on questionable multiplayer, architectural and stylistic changes, 343i haven't done anything that's significantly improved what Halo 3 did. In Halo 4 they attempted to take their own spin on things, but in the process they butchered customs, forge and theatre, they removed campaign skulls and in-game terminals, among a slew of other problems too numerous to name individually. The recompense, the addition was Spartan Ops. And while Spartan Ops was a great idea it failed to capture any sort of magic, falling flat as more of a repetitive button-pressing simulator than an evolving episodic side story.

Skipping the mess that was Halo MCC because 343i stated they had very little to do with the project, lets move on to Halo 5. Halo 5 takes everything the first three Halo games had set forward about improving the gameplay experience and giving the players agency, and chucks it out the -Yoinking!- window. We regressed across the board. No splitscreen, no offline multiplayer to be found what-so-ever, no Forge on release, no functioning fileshare, a pitiful amount of gamemodes, poor player customization that I can only assume was done to sell REQ packs and again, among a slew of other problems. The guise this falls under is of course "free DLC" and the promise that 343i will add everything back eventually, but they're by no means obligated to add everything that people have come to expect from the series, and instead of using this post-release time to work on the next game or add new content to the series, they're using it to finish up a game that can only be described as an Early Access title.

The only new feature Halo 5 brought to replace everything it removed was Warzone. Warzone was a great idea, and I think it could (and should) have been a stand-alone Halo title. But by tacking it onto Halo 5, not only does it not get all the attention it deserves, but it has to restrict itself to "traditional" Halo design philosphies, even with all the additional mechanics at play. And at the end of the day, warzone as it stands is no more than glorified BTB, it can't replace everything else 343i have removed.

I could rant on and on about how and why I think this is awful decisions making, but to draw the line: Halo built itself upon continuously giving the players agency and improving the experience. I believe Halo's current problems lie in the fact that 343i insist on delivering their experience, and not necessarily a Halo or Quality Player experience. All my objections in relation to gameplay changes stem from this fact, all the problems in relation to the lack of Social playlists. Other problems such as the lack of armor customization appear to be driven by money, they restrict and remove armor to sell REQ's later instead of giving players the option to choose their own and unlock it in a logical way. The lack of an armor based progression system that gave the player something to actively work towards, among other things.

So what do I think Halo needs to be on top? I think it needs to focus on providing a top notch player experience. 343i need to take along, hard look at how they choose to design, whether it be the introduction of new mechanics that negatively impact the depth of the game for the sake of market accessibility or the conscious decision to remove social playlists because "it makes players play properly", and ask themselves if they are providing the best possible Halo experience they can. They need to look just what made Halo 3 so popular beyond it's gameplay, figure out how Bungie managed to cultivate such a fervent and dedicated community. They need to look at other successful titles, such as Counter-Strike Global Offensive, and ask themselves just what makes those games so successful with the competitive, casual, and creative communities alike.

There are reasons those things are as popular as they are, and there are reasons Halo fails to capture the attention that it used to. It's not as simple as gameplay or aesthetic, even if those do play a huge part.

If 343i are willing to ask these questions, to learn, understand, and perhaps apply different strategies or philosophies than those they currently use, I think Halo has potential to be a top game again. As it stands right now however, I expect Halo to fall slowly into obscurity. Not immediately, the quality of the games and legacy they are built on will keep people around for a while, but it'll fade to a point where people are tired of hearing its name, where it's used in a similar sense to Assassins creed to describe a series that has gone on too long, without fully understanding or realizing just where the heart of the issue lies.

Doesn't matter how many fancy skins or million dollar tournaments they throw out, there's something deeper in the game that's missing, and without that I don't really see a hope of greater success.

Honestly, I could go on for another hour or so, talking about designing for longevity, accessibility in game design, teaching players rather than designing for them, but those are different topics for a different time. Point is, I think Halo's problems extend far beyond its gameplay and have more to do with 343i and the premise on which they build the game than anything else.

... Well, back to lurking.
This is spot-on. The game doesn't have a soul, so to speak. It doesn't feel like the people making it love and care about the franchise the way bungie did at the helm. Halo 5 feels rushed and designed with only a single audience in mind. Artificial longevity is not the same as natural longevity, something 343 doesn't seem to get.
Not if 343 continues with their "vision" of Halo.

It will forever sustain the population fates that Halo 4 and now 5 have.

Maybe if someone where able to develop a proper Halo game, it might happen. However, I'm not sure even that would bring about the success that Halos1-3 had.
No, Halo will never be on top again. People love the easy gameplay of Call of Duty and Battlefront too much. They get turned away with a large skill gap ttpe game like Halo because they're so used to low TTK and relatively no skill gap.
it needs some kind of open world structure like spartan ops serpeaye from the main campaign just more options. a better coop element like cod zombies just more that just multiplayer.
Maybe with Halo 6 if they took all the good things of Halo 5 and they make a game full of content.
I would hope it would regain top spot again but I don't see how. I don't want to be negative, but all of my friends quit playing and I see their point as I am experiencing it myself. As of late you are matched against people who just wipe you out. After so many games like that you just quit as its no fun.
No, Halo will never be on top again. People love the easy gameplay of Call of Duty and Battlefront too much. They get turned away with a large skill gap ttpe game like Halo because they're so used to low TTK and relatively no skill gap.
Didn't CoD also have "easy gameplay" from the first CoD all the way through MW2 when Halo was still extremely popular? The easy gameplay isn't new to that series and Halo did just fine against it in the past.
i think it can
Never, Halo is dead. New Halo is a casual abormination.
Not a chance in hell. 343 continually ignore our feedback and give us crap that we don't want. Even long time fans are leaving.
I came back to see what this update is about. I haven't played the game in a week and a half. Do I think it can? NO. I think their investment into HCS is moving the game more to a niche market. It'll live, but I don't see it ever being the top FPS again.
If
top Fps means taking on the a lot of the COD community I'm not sure I'd like it much nowadays, no offence to anyone who plays cod, I do but many players you meet are not particularly friendly...
I dont think so. Its got too many things going against it.

console exclusive

not new player friendly (no instant gratification, cant just jump in and do well like cod)

arena shooters are kinda niche (doesnt really appeal to many folks given how long they have played cod and the like)

saturated market full of other shooters

new halo games are years apart instead of other games pushed out every year

etc etc etc
esnoox wrote:
With 343? no. With a quality developer? of course
In all likelihood a new developer would want to change some core fundamentals about Halo. the next game would then be shunned yet again. When new people take over they try to change things based on what they think they know without consideration for the fans. My proof of this is the outsourcing of Gears:Judgment to the Studio-People can Fly. that studio changed a few small things , though small were absolutely fundamental to the Gears franchise. That game died quicker than Halo 4. Much quicker. Now it has less than 600 players across all gametypes on most days. While Halo 4 has between 4000 and 6000 any given weekend. Heck , you can't even get people on here to agree on what the next game's mechanics should be.
The reason Gears Judgment is so low now is because Gears was always less mainstream than Halo. They did the exact same thing 343 did to Halo 4, but they did it to a niche game that Microsoft doesn't pour insane amounts of money and marketing into, so the result was far more catastrophic.

I honestly believe the designers at Certain Affinity understand Halo far more than 343 ever will. I think they were even founded by an original Bungie member. They're responsible for CEA and H2A, which updated the games visually while mostly staying true to the original style. They've been making maps (some brilliant) for Halo since at least Reach among other things. H2A Forge was a fantastic step forward.

The only problem with having them do a full Halo game is the size of their studio and the obligations they have to other game franchises.
And if so, how?
no...COD will dominate until the next Destiny or the next COD.
iTz Korra wrote:
Never, Halo is dead. New Halo is a casual abormination.
you think H5 is casual? its the opposite!! every -Yoinking!- game I get teamed with people who think they are so MLG that I get yelled at for not seeing the guy behind me when I'm the last guy standing in breakout.
Such a great game, but I doubt it.
Nope
it always has been #1 in my heart!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 20